and when guys talk...

Honestly Trying to be Friends
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Everyone knows guys talk. And when guys talk, especially high school guys who've been stripped of their dating privileges until they've graduated college, they'll talk about girls. And when they talk about girls, most of the time they start ranking their oblivious female classmates.

And unfortunately for the first year girls, because the gym teacher was absent for the day and was replaced by an easygoing substitute from the art department, the second year boys were making the most of their free period. Cluttered around on the first two rows of the bleachers, the boys in the class sat around and leaned forward towards Jihoon who was sitting in the middle, balancing a notebook on his lap. Written neatly on the page was a list of the girls in their class with a number written next to some of their names: Lee MInji - 4, Bae Chaeri - 6, Pak Jidae - 2. 10 was the highest and 1 was the lowest.

"Lee Moonbi," Jihoon moved onto the next person on the list, earning him a chorus of collective wolf whistles and satisfied 'ahhs'. He could have sworn he heard someone slow clapping in the back. Their excitement buzzed more when not too far away, Bi had ran after a runaway volleyball, bending over with her back turned towards them.

"Ten, ten, would bang," a student chimed, gathering a series of approving nods, "She's the hottest girl in the school, and she's super sweet, you know?"

Jihoon could feel his insides twisting as the guys around him continued to compliment the Devil's child herself. He wasn't sure why he was the only one not bought by her definitely matured (and he had to admit - quite lovely) body. Perhaps he assumed that underneath all that, she was simply another one of those ditzy characters. He didn't know for sure since he wasn't friends with her, but she looked too good to be true. Ignoring his sidetracked classmates, Jihoon glanced over to his left where Soonyoung sat rather boringly. Soonyoung hadn't pitched in a single opinion since they started. He hadn't even let out any hums of approval or disapproval. He simply sat there staring at the field at who-knows-what.

Shaking his head, Jihoon quickly scrawled a '9' next to Bi's name (he felt like giving her an 8 but he thought the rest of the class would go off on him on that) and briefly scanned the gym in front of him. In all honesty, he felt like giving everyone else a five since none of the girls were his type anyway, but since he had been the one to propose the idea of class ranking anyway, he had to it up and keep going. Another ten minutes passed until finally they reached the last girl on their list.

"Kwan Choyoung," Jihoon read aloud, making sure he glanced over the side to Soonyoung. To his amusement, Soonyoung's limp figure stiffened and straightened up only slightly at the mention of her name. He hadn't stopped talking about the girl ever since their school lock-in three days ago so obviously he had her in mind right now.

"Ey, how anti-climactic," one boy complained with a defeated sigh, "I was just getting into it too,"

"Three... maybe four at most?"

"Nah, I think five. She's kind of neither this or that,"

"Yeah she's like... not hot, but she's not ugly either,"

"So like normal?"

"I feel like we put more normal girls under four though since five is still a bit forgiving,"

"Can we just stop this?" Soonyoung finally spoke up, causing the chatter to immediately die down. All eyes were on him now as he stood up, arms crossed, "Other than being completely useless and stupid, I just don't think it's a nice thing to do. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if the girls started ranking us and you find out you got a low score… And besides, what’s pretty to someone else might not be pretty to you or vice versa, so-

A loud ripping sound interrupted the preaching boy. Looking over, he saw Jihoon whose lips were curved into a smirk, “Alright, Soonyoung. I’ll get rid of this then. But try to be a little less obvious with your… dissatisfactions, yeah?”

Boy, did Soonyoung want to slap that grin off Jihoon’s face.

Hazel orbs quivered in surprise as the high-pitched tweet of a coach’s whistle split through the loud murmuring of the audience. Gritting her teeth, Choyoung hesitantly entered the field’s gates and silently slipped into an empty seat on the lower bleachers. Around her were soccer enthused schoolmates dressed in school sweaters and other fan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter