it only happens in movies...?

Honestly Trying to be Friends
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Whoa, Soonyoung! I thought this only happened in movies!”

And to be honest, Choyoung at this point would rather that they stay in movies.

Horrified at the sudden realization of them legitimately being stuck face-to-face, the two metal mouths scrambled to their feet, only to come crashing back down in defeat. It was one thing trying to control your body, but having to move alongside another individual you're bound to was a completely different story. The best compromise they had to not lying down on each other was to have her sitting on his lap with her legs on either side of his legs. So like… she was basically sitting on her knees with him invading her personal space. Now if that wasn’t awkward.

At this point, the other students had noticed the situation on their court thanks to Jihoon’s outburst, so they stopped their games and began crowding around the two fallen teens. Choyoung’s cheeks grew warm, but with a quick backhand dap at her face, she concluded that it wasn’t coming from her - it was Soonyoung’s burning cheeks radiating off on her face. This awareness of proximity was enough to send her heart racing; she desperately prayed that it would stop because if she could feel his unsteady beating, then he could definitely feel hers.

The surrounding upperclassmen boys snickered; they were probably Soonyoung’s friends because they were whispering to themselves about how they’d do anything to get caught in that same position with their own crushes. Disgusting. Did teenage boys really think with their Juniors?

Lord and Savior Coach Kim came to the rescue and shoo-ed the onlookers away… granted, she was fighting back a laugh of her own but honestly they could care less. At least with her they had a fighting chance of getting ripped apart by force than simply being stared at. Coach bent down and inspected the damage; the look on her face spelled “Gone”. And even with an attempt to untangle the wires, Coach made it worse and hurt more than it already was before she went ahead and called the school nurse. By the time the nurse arrived at the gym, however, Choyoung and Soonyoung had already went through every shade of red and pink there was… five times. Jihoon and Bi, their respective best friends, helped the two up on their feet and led them to the nurse’s office as quickly as possible. Though they may have thought it was funny at first, they could only imagine how flustered and embarrassed the two were literally locking lips with a stranger.

Unfortunately, even though she was the school nurse that was supposed to have the cure-all for everything so that she wouldn’t have to call home and arrange an early pick-up, it pretty much took the rest of the period until she was able to unhinge the two. The minute they heard she last clip of the wire freeing them, Choyoung leapt to her feet, backing away as fast as possible from him. She’d had enough close contact with another person. She honestly thought she’d had enough in a day to last her for a year.

But they weren’t done yet. Nurse Lee asked them what exactly happened so she could file it under records (darn school policy). Soonyoung, obviously the more articulate one in how well he spoke and crafted the story into a less-stupid sounding one, answered most of the questions with Choyoung pitching in here and there to correct some of his details. And finally, after that weird debriefing of sorts, Nurse Lee explained that because of the force, a bracket on Soonyoung’s braces popped while a wire came loose on Choyoung’s.

A few more minutes in the nurse’s office was spent with her trying to return the unhooked wires back in the places and them desperately persuading her not to tell their parents (which, thankfully, she agreed to). With a bow, they left her office, keeping their distance from each other when they reunited with their friends waiting outside the office. It wasn’t even a minute before they were both dragged in opposite directions and bombed with questions.

“Are you okay?” Jihoon swung an arm across Soonyoung’s shoulders (or… at least he tried to), “Other than your mouth obviously, you’re not hurt anywhere else, right? Do you want to swing by my house later? Maybe I can call my dad to end his shift early and look at you. He doesn’t do anything in his office but look at teeth anyway, might as well give him the satisfaction to look at your pearly ones,”

Behind them, Bi mirrored his actions, “Is Nurse Lee going to tell your parents? Are you going to tell your parents? Are you okay? Do you want an ice pack or something? Maybe some ice cream? If you want, maybe I can cover it up a little with make-up before you go home. I think I have some stuff in my locker,”

For a while, they were isolated in their own little pairs before Soonyoung peered over Jihoon’s shoulder at Choyoung who quickly looked away because she was actually doing the same. For whatever reason, the corners of his mouth briefly twitched when she broke eye contact. He cut Jihoon off mid-sentence, walking around him to approach the two girls. He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter