Chapter 8

Light

💡

“Wow~” Chanyeol exclaimed. “It’s definitely autumn now!”

“What do you see?” She asked.

“All the leaves are turning orange and yellow and red!” He replied.

Chanyeol raised _____‘s hand and pointed it to the left.

“Over there are trees. And over there are the benches.” He directed,  moving _____‘s hand to where the places he said were. “And in front of you is the basketball court. The sky is bright blue today but because of the trees, everything looks orange. Do you see it?”

_____ smiled and imagined everything Chanyeol described. “Ung.” She said with a nod. “I see everything. It’s beautiful.”

She saw the fall coloured trees that were lined up by the fence, the wooden benches across them, and the wide open basketball court in front of her.

Chanyeol took a deep breath to inhale the fresh air. “You should do it too!” He said and took in the air again, loud enough for for _____ to hear.

_____ laughed and did what Chanyeol told her. “Wa~ The air smells nice!”

He then guided her to one of the benches. “Sit down.” The boy said.

_____ sat down beside Chanyeol and felt the cold dry wood with her hands.

“Are you thirsty? Do you want coffee? I’ll get you some.” He asked and stood up.

Before Chanyeol could flee, _____ grabbed his arm and shook her head. “I’m fine.” She said with a smile.

Chanyeol sat back down next to her.

“How did you know?” She asked him.

“About what?”

“The scarf.”

“Your father told me.”

“I see.”

An awkward silence filled the space between them.

“I’ve always dreamed about having my own shop.” She said, breaking the silence. “I wanted to keep everyone warm on winter by making scarves and sweaters and beanies for them… but I guess I can’t do that anymore.”

“Yes you can.” Chanyeol said in a serious tone. “I’ll help you. I’ll help you learn how to knit without needing to see.”

“How are you going to do that?” She asked with a chuckle.

“I don’t know yet.” He replied.

“You’re being unrealistic.” She laughingly said.

“No I’m not. I’m just optimistic.” He said, laughing with her.  

“Wait here.” He commanded and stood up.

“Where are you going?” She asked; reaching out to Chanyeol.

“Just wait. I’ll be back in a minute.” He replied and ran off.

“What’s he so excited about?” She asked herself as she patiently waits for his return.

After a few minutes, Chanyeol came back to _____ side and took her hands in his.

“Here.” He said and handed her something thin and soft.

“They were pretty so I picked them out for you.” He replied.

_____ raised the flowers to her nose and sniffed their scent.

“They smell wonderful.” She gleefully remarked.

“Do you know what kind they are?” He asked.

_____ the flowers’ petals and stems.

“I’m not sure…” She replied.

“They’re Chrysanthenums” He said in a bright tone.

“Oh… what color are they?” She asked.

“They’re as yellow as the sun!” He laughingly replied.

_____ laughed at his enthusiasm and took another sniff of the flowers.

“Did you know they symbolize joy and happiness?” He explained.

“Do they?” She said with a grin. “Now I understand why you like them.”

Chanyeol laughed and stood up again.

“It’s getting dark. We should head back before your dad gets worried.”

“You know… there is one thing I like about being blind.”

“What is it?” He asked.

“You’ll never know whether it’s day or night because it’s always dark.”

 “Does that mean you like night more than day?” He asked again.

“No. It’s easier to knit at day time. In fact, I hate the dark. I’m scared of it.” She replied.

“Then why…”

“Before this happened to me… I couldn’t stand being in the dark. I couldn’t even sleep without any lights in my room.” She explained. “But now that I’m blind… I get to face my fear everyday. And I think I’m starting to like it.” She said with a smile.

Chanyeol softly laughed at her answer.

“What’s so funny?” She asked.

“Nothing. I’m just glad that you’re enjoying your time with me.”

_____ blushed and quickly answered back, “Y-YA! That’s not what I meant!”

 Chanyeol laughed louder at the sound of embarrassment in her voice.