The Second Hour

Diexolik Lovers

Yui dreamt of when she was younger, back in the church her father managed.  She was staring wistfully out the window at the other children playing in the front yard, running around chasing one another.  She wished she could go out and play with them, but the weather happened to be a bit too nippy and she was in the middle of another weak spell.

She had had poor health ever since she could remember and her father told her she was born with some kind of heart condition that made her weaker than other children, but that as long as she didn't overexert herself, she'd get better and stronger over time.  Thankfully, she was able to attend school with the other children when she got older, but she was still cautioned to stay indoors and refrain from strenuous activity as much as she could.  And maybe because of her gentle personality, or the fact that she had a history of being frail, the other children always treated her like she was made of glass, like she would break and meekly cry if they so much as touched her.

Yui would have felt lonely, but her father was so caring and loving, and he taught her to be strong enough to always be kind to others.  Even to those scary people who sometimes came to the church asking her father to exorcize spirits.  Yui would sneak inside the chapel to see her father chant prayers as he threw holy water on the people who seemed to be possessed by a monster.  Yui believed that evil spirits and ghosts must exist, she had seen too many normal people act so differently before her father helped them.

But her father didn't have to deal with such things too often.  He mostly ran a normal church and his followers loved him.  Like the little boys and girls that stopped their game of tag to cling onto his robe as he made his way back from running an errand in town.

Yui watched as he patted their heads and looked up to spot Yui at the window.  He walked over smiling warmly and reached out to pat her head.

"How are you feeling, Yui?" he asked, her cheek.

"I'm fine, father," Yui smiled back at him.

"'Father'?" he echoed, tilting his head with a bemused look, "I'm not your father."  His hand left her cheek and trailed down her neck.

"W-what do you mean, father? Am I not your daughter?" Yui began to panic, feeling his fingers encircle .

"You're not my child," he said, eyes cold and unfeeling, and then his voice changed into an unrecognizable one. "If you try to escape, you're dead."

Yui gasped for air as he tightened his grip around and she struggled in vain to pry off his iron-like fingers.

No.. No! This can't be happening! That's not father! This is a dream!

Yui stopped fighting against the figure choking her to death and immediately she could breathe freely again, the figure and the scenery before her melting into blackness.  Yui could feel her consciousness return to her and she awoke from her dream slowly, taking a moment to jog her memory of what happened before she fell asleep.

But what she remembered couldn't have been reality, could it?  If it all wasn't some kind of hyper-realistic nightmare, if it was somehow real, she'd open her eyes and find herself in a foreign place.  She was scared to face reality, to face the monsters, and her heart hurt just remembering the words she read in her father's diary.  That she was not her father's child.  But be that as it may, he was her father, and he taught her to accept things as they come, to have courage, and to be the first one to extend a hand.

Yui set her mind and cautiously opened her eyes.  She saw that she was indeed in a new place, in an unknown bed and an unknown room, all decorated in hues of purple.  She sat up feeling slightly dizzy, which alarmed her of the possibility that she may have lost blood last night.

Yui hurriedly felt the sides of her neck for any puncture wounds or bite marks.  Finding none, she sighed with relief.

Thank goodness, I haven't been bitten.

She looked down at herself to see that she was wearing a frilly pink nightgown.

Wait, I don't remember changing!

She hugged herself protectively and squeezed her eyes shut, but all she could think of was seeing the six vampire sons saying and doing horrible things to her before she out in the attic room.  She opened her eyes and looked down at her helpless hands.

Why did this happen...

"I have to contact father," she murmured to herself, trying to push the image of her father's diary away to the back of her head.  But she couldn't help feel tears start to well up.

What is this all about, father?... Please, come back soon!

"Crying won't help you, Little ," Chanyeol's deep voice startled Yui and she looked up to see him sitting leisurely on the edge of her bed. "You look pretty y in a negligee. And you give off such a delicious aroma. Are you trying to come on to me, Little ?"

Chanyeol began crawling on the bed towards Yui, who flinched, gripping the covers to shield her body.  All of a sudden, Chanyeol was pushed away by someone on the other side of the bed, who turned out to be Baekhyun.

"Don't touch what belongs to Yours Truly without permission," Baekhyun said grumpily.

"Baekhyun~," Chanyeol whined, "don't be so rough."

"Shaddup, she's my meal," Baekhyun retorted, and of course, the both of them would pay no heed to Yui's insistence of, "Please stop this!"

Thankfully, there was someone else who could control the two brothers.

"All of you, you'll be late," Joonmyun's formal voice cut in.

Baekhyun pulled back in annoyance. "Damn, not you again, Joonmyun."

"We were getting to a good place, too," Chanyeol sighed regretfully.

Joonmyun ignored them and looked at Yui. "You also need to get changed."

"Changed?" Yui asked, "Where are we going?"

"Isn't it obvious? School," he replied haughtily.

"School?" Yui glanced at the evening sky through the window. "At this hour?"

"Seriously, how obtuse can you be," he complained with his ever-present frown, "Do you need every little thing spelled out for you? It's night school."

"But to start school this late is just-"

"We cannot have you being active in the daytime just because you have the common sense of a mortal," Joonmyun interrupted, "As long as you reside in the Sakong home, you must adjust to our lifestyle."

"But..." Yui thought it made absolutely no sense that the common belief that vampires were weak against sunlight was apparently false, and yet they chose to be active only in the night, whether or not it was to avoid sunlight.

"If you have a complaint, you are welcome to leave at any time," Joonmyun uttered and turned to leave.

"But you said you'd kill me if I try to escape," Yui mumbled under her breath, but he had heard it anyway.

"Did you say something?" he asked without turning around fully, but Yui didn't have to see his face to know what his cold words really meant: I dare you to cross me.

"N-no," she mumbled and held her breath.

Joonmyun glared at her over his shoulder. "Then hurry up and change into that school uniform there."

It was only then that Yui saw the uniform laid out on the end of her bed, and she recognized the style to be the same as the uniforms the brothers wore.  It had white frills on the end of the deep purple skirt with a matching deep purple blazer and a dark magenta ribbon to hang from the collar of the inner white shirt.  She thought of asking what time school would end, but when she glanced up, the three brothers that had just been there had vanished.

I'm really going to have to start getting used to that. All their appearing and disappearings acts.

With a sigh, Yui moved to get out of bed, but her hand brushed against something cold and metallic on the sheets next to her.  She looked down and realized it was her cross rosary necklace.  Picking it up, she remembered it was how she had recognized herself as an infant in the photograph tucked into her father's diary.

Maybe I can use this chance to go to the room where I found the diary.

Yui crept out of bed and cautiously approached the bedroom door, careful not to make a sound as she opened it.  She peered down the hallway to the right and didn't see anyone, but before she could turn her head to check the other direction, Baekhyun's brash voice greeted her from directly in front of her, nearly giving her another heart attack.

"Hey, you haven't changed yet?" he asked with a mischievous smirk. "Then Yours Truly will give you a hand with it."

Yui flusteredly stepped back and closed the door with a scandalized, "No thank you!"

Her body went limp against the door as she figured the brothers would keep a watch on her to make sure she didn't try to escape or anything else that went against the vampire Sakongs' "lifestyle."  It was one thing to be looked at like a juicy slab of steak, but having been brought up in the protective environment of a church, Yui had never been subject to so many ual innuendos, let alone talk with boys her age very much.  And even then, they were always on their best behavior, careful not to offend the daughter of a priest.

So honestly, Yui was at a complete loss as to how she should react to the brazen behavior of the Sakong brothers.  She knew it was wrong, even setting aside the fact that they were blood- monsters, as unbelievable as that sounded.  But despite the indignation she felt every time they referred to her with base and demeaning names, invaded her personal space, and touched her improperly, she recognized an undercurrent of curiosity within herself and she could not deny that there was something in this mansion that she felt inexplicably drawn to.

But that's ridiculous. There are real, actual vampires living here. I need to get out.

But Yui remembered how Baekhyun was standing guard outside her door and she eyed her room warily, double-checking to make sure no one else had decided to magically walk through the walls and drop in on her.

So what now?

It seemed attempting to escape was out of the question at the moment, so Yui would have to bide her time and wait for a better chance to search for more information about her father's connection to this place, or better yet, escape successfully.  In the meantime, she would have to lay low, do as she was told, and play along so that she could live to see another day.

-=-=-=-

It was dark outside by the time they left for school.  Yui had to stifle a gasp of surprise when she saw the sleek, black limousine waiting in the driveway to shuttle them off to school.  They filed in and Yui ended up sitting in an inner corner next to Baekhyun.  She expected that he'd immediately try to get his hands on her neck or at least make her uncomfortable with inappropriate comments, but he had not said a word yet.  In fact, neither he nor his brothers made a sound during the ride and the extended silence was beginning to feel suffocating.  Yui couldn't help but pry her eyes from the window and sneak a look around the car.

At the far end, Joonmyun sat with a serious expression reading a book and it was only then that she realized he wore a white glove on only his right hand.  Next to him was Sehun, who was staring out the window with his mouth set in a grim line.  Chanyeol sat in the corner next to Sehun with his long legs stretched out before him and he had his eyes closed, bobbing his head every so often as if he was playing a song in his head.  Beside him sat Kyungsoo engaged in a deep but silent conversation with his teddy bear on his lap.  As usual, Jongin looked like he was asleep, but even if he wasn't, the earphones in his ears gave off the impression that he did not want to be bothered.

They're all brothers, aren't they? Are they on bad terms? They don't talk to each other at all.

Suddenly, Baekhyun leaned forward and obscured Yui's view with his face that was coming in too close for her comfort.

"What are you thinking about, Pancake?" he sneered, but then inched forward menacingly. "You've got guts defying Yours Truly, Pancake."

Yui winced, trying to hold him back by the shoulder. "Stop calling me that. I have an actual name: Koh Yui."

"Shaddup! You're a hundred years too early to be opposing me, Pancake," he tauntingly emphasized the nickname, before he opened his mouth and bared his fangs ready to plunge into her neck.

"Baekhyun, how many times must I tell you," Joonmyun interrupted as he snapped close his book with irritation, "take such activities to your own room."

Baekhyun retreated with a scoff and crossed his arms, pouting.

"That is for you," Joonmyun continued, nodding at a juice box on the table built into the side of the car. "100% cranberry juice is the best cure for weak blood."

"Th-thank you very much," Yui said, pleasantly surprised at the seemingly cold-hearted second Sakong son.

"You need not thank me," Joonmyun replied without missing a beat. "You must become fully aware that you are our prey and drink that daily."

P-prey?! Then, does he actually mean that they're really going to my blood? I'm just some walking, talking blood bag for them and this juice is so I don't run dry?!

Gripping the juice box in her hands, Yui felt reality set in for the first time.  She had still hoped that this was all some kind of misunderstanding on her part or just an absudly elaborate prank played on her by some hormonal teenage boys who had a bizarre sense of humor.  But with the brother that appeared to be the most sensible one out of them--and had even saved her on a number of occasions from being bitten--practically telling her to drink up to keep her blood in stock, Yui didn't think there could be any other logical explanation.  The Sakong brothers were vampires and they were going to her blood.  The thought of having those sharp fangs tear into her skin, leaving her dripping with blood, terrified her beyond belief.

"Aw look, her teeth are chattering," Kyungsoo cooed in a lilting voice. "Teddy, when mortals feel fear, they show it with this kind of behavior. It's funny, so have a good look."

Kyungsoo turned his doll around to have it face Yui and even though it was just a stuffed animal, she felt that the way its beady eye stared at her was as creepy as the way Kyungsoo watched her with sadistic delight.

Thankfully, Yui didn't have to endure his stifling gaze for much longer because they soon turned into a driveway that led up to an imposing building.  Much like the Sakongs' mansion, the school structure was grand, beautiful, and oozed wealth.

Yui climbed out of the limousine after the others and craned her neck to see the building stretch up high towards the cloudy night sky littered with stars.

"You are in the same class as Baekhyun and Kyungsoo, so go with them," Joonmyun instructed Yui as they went in through the entrance where a few other students stood milling about.

"Okay," Yui replied, relieved to see that at least the other students appeared to be normal and not other monsters like werewolves or demons.

But you never know.. The Sakong brothers seemed like normal humans at first, too..

Yui shuddered and looked up just in time to stop herself from running into Joonmyun who had abruptly stopped walking and turned around to face her.

"Unless you want a whipping, don't try anything reckless. Understood?" he peered down at her sternly.

A whipping? What is this, the Middle Ages?

"Well? Where's your answer?" he prodded, making Yui feel like a young child being disciplined by her strict mother.

"I understand," she reluctantly answered, eyes downcast with shame she knew she need not feel.

With that, Joonmyun his heel and left her to enter the classroom they had stopped in front of.  The rest of the Saking brothers had disappeared from sight as soon as they had entered the school, so it came as no surprise that Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were already sitting at their seats in the back of the classroom.  But what did surprise Yui was that they were the only two present; there was no one else in the room.

Did we arrive to class that early?

Yui looked over to see Kyungsoo giggling about something he must have said to his teddy bear sitting on his desk--or something he must have imagined his doll to have said--so she discarded the idea of asking him anything and instead took a look at the chalkboard at the front of the room.  On it was written a notice, "Home Economics: Food Preparation - Assemble in the training room at 7:30 pm."

"Oh, it's food prep," Yui read aloud.

"Food prep?" Baekhyun echoed and suddenly sat up from his napping posture.  He strode over to Yui with a sparkle in his eye and grabbed her wrist, dragging her out of the classroom and down the hallway.  His grip was impossibly strong and no matter how many times she asked him where they were going, why they were leaving Kyungsoo behind, or if he could please just let go, he didn't listen or respond and just continued to pull her along.

Down a floor and at the opposite end of the hallway, Baekhyun finally slowed down and slid open a door.  Yui didn't have time to read the label above the doorway before being dragged in, but the refrigerator, sink, and cupboards made it apparent that this was a kitchen of sorts, not a training room that would have been larger with several counters.

"Make me kimbap," Baekhyun demanded as soon as he let go of Yui.

"Kimbap?" she asked with a frown, rubbing her sore wrist.

"Make me the best kimbap in the world!" he challenged, sounding like a spoiled five-year-old.

"But.. we have to attend class!" Yui tried to reason with him.

"No buts! Yours Truly will eat it for you, so get cooking!" he insisted childishly.

"Even if you say that, you're asking too much," Yui retorted, shaking her head. "First of all, you don't even know if we have all the ingredients on hand."

"Check the fridge and cabinets," he said with a bored yawn.

Is this what they meant by adjusting to their lifestyle? To come to school but skip class to cater to their whims?

Yui sighed heavily but reminded herself that she was going to play along with their wishes for now, as unreasonable as they may be.  She trudged over to the cupboards and found that there was indeed a stockpile of instant rice packages, dried seaweed sheets, and even cans of spicy tuna.  The refrigerator had fresh vegetables and eggs, the cabinet above the stove had all the basic seasonings, and the drawers were packed with kitchen tools, including the bamboo mat necessary for rolling kimbap.

"Okay, so I can maybe make something with the stuff here," Yui admitted to Baekhyun who had made himself comfortable on a chair at the kitchen table, leaning back with his feet propped up on the table and eyes closed. "Do you have any food allergies?"

Baekhyun just waved her off, not even bothering to open his eyes, so she shrugged and rolled up her sleeves.  She wasn't particularly good or bad at cooking, but she hadn't made kimbap that often and she wasn't sure how this would turn out with the ingredients she was improvising with.

But who cares. Let's just get this over with.

Yui heated up the instant rice in a microwave and seasoned it with salt, vinegar, and sugar.  She grabbed eggs from the refrigerator, mixed and cooked them in a frying pan to be cut into long strips.  She rummaged through the refrigerator for cucumbers, but instead she found pickled radish and avocados, so she cut them narrowly as well and set them aside.

I don't know how this will taste but here goes.

Yui pried open a can of spicy tuna and spread the contents on top of the thin layers of dried seaweed and seasoned rice, along with the egg strips, picked radish, and avocado pieces.  She used the bamboo mat to roll it all up tightly and sealed the edge with sesame oil.  After cutting the roll into round pieces, she placed them neatly on a plate and sprinkled toasted sesame seeds on top.

"Here, Baekhyun," she spoke gently, just in case the boy with his eyes closed had actually fallen asleep at the table, "I tried making kimbap, but I can't guarantee the taste."

Baekhyun slit his left eye open and peeked at the kimbap in front of him before furrowing his brows and standing up in anger. "That's not cucumber is it?!"

"Huh? I thought you weren't allergic to anything," Yui pointed out, slightly alarmed at his outburst.

"Of course Yours Truly would have no food allergies," he confirmed haughtily. "But cucumbers are just gross. They're not fit to be food!"

"Well calm down," Yui nearly sniggered at his tantrum, "it's avocado in there, not cucumber."

And good thing they were out of cucumbers, or else Baekhyun would've been after my neck already.

"What? You should have said so sooner," Baekhyun whined, but promptly picked up a piece of kimbap and popped it into his mouth.  Yui's heart beat wildly in her chest as she watched him chew with his face distorted in a look of bewilderment, and she nearly expected him to spit it all out into her face, but suddenly the creases between his eyebrows disappeared and he let out a content, "Delish!"

Yui breathed a sigh of relief, but her momentary peace of mind was cut short when she remembered the situation she was in. "I've cut class on my very first day of school," the usually perfect-attendance-achieving student complained to herself.

"Don't fret about such little things," Baekhyun commanded, turning to her, "You eat some, too."

Sighing in resignation, she took a kimbap piece and bit into it hesitantly.  She could understand why Baekhyun had initially made a face at it because the texture was weird, given the creaminess of the avocado and the juiciness of the tuna.  But oddly, the unconventional flavors went well together and Yui surprised herself with the resulting taste of her kimbap. "They're good!"

"See?" Baekhyun grinned, before grabbing more kimbap pieces in both hands and gobbling them down.

Yui glanced about, seeing the mess she had made in the kitchen, and hurried to start clearing things away. "Have to tidy up so we can get to the next class."

Baekhyun remained at his chair, leisurely rocking back and forth as he finished off the kimbap.

"Baekhyun, help out," Yui called behind herself, as she began doing the dishes in the sink, "I only made kimbap because you said to. Come on, Baek-"

She looked over her shoulder to see that Baekhyun was suddenly standing right behind her, hovering very close over her head and neck.  Yui startled and dashed away to the windows at the side of the room on instinct.

"Why are you running?" Baekhyun leered as he slowly approached her, "I've been holding it in ever since yesterday. Let me you."

Yui tried to bolt for the door, but he caught her easily and anchored her to the window ledge.

"Please.. don't," she could barely whisper through trembling lips, but he grabbed her chin and turned it to the side, exposing her neck to him.

"Your skin looks delicious, unblemished, without any fang marks," Baekhyun spoke terrifyingly evenly and controllingly, though he had seemed like a pampered child just moments ago. "Yours Truly is going to take your every first experience."

With that, he plunged his fangs into Yui's neck and she felt her eyes roll behind her lids.

The pain.

The fear.

The helplessness.

It was all so mind-numbing that she could barely register Baekhyun taking a pause in his to murmur in wonder, "This is so good. What is this? It's sweeter than anything I've ever tasted. I've taken a liking to you."

He sounded delirious by the end and Yui received another jolt of shocking pain as he went for another round of her blood.  But this was getting too much.  Yui could feel herself getting faint and weak and she knew she would probably pass out if he took any more from her.

"Stop it... Let me go!" she pushed Baekhyun off of her with every fiber of strength she had left in her body, but having forced out his fangs from her, she felt like her neck, no, her whole body was on fire.

"Stuuupid. Surely you can tell it will hurt worse if you move like that," Baekhyun taunted her unsympathetically.

Yui looked up to see him baring a fanged grin with her blood dribbling down his chin and he looked like the devil incarnate.

"Your tears and that look of pain on your face really do it for me," he smiled wickedly, wiping his chin with his hand.

"Please, stop it," she begged, on the brink of tears, but he swooped in for the third time, whispering, "Like hell I'd stop," and took her once again.  As she predicted, she soon could not withstand the sudden loss of blood and lost consciousness.

"You are such a disgrace," a voice interrupted and Baekhyun looked up to see Joonmyun standing in the room with his face and stance full of disapproval. "I never dreamed you would do this at school."

"Damn it, Reiji, I was just getting to the best part," Baekhyun gruffly complained.

As usual, Joonmyun ignored him. "Be responsible and make sure she gets home."

-=-=-=-

Yui awoke in yet another unfamiliar place, but before she had time to register her surroundings, Baekhyun spoke from the edge of the couch she was laid upon.

"Hey, you awake?"

Immediately on the defense, she struggled to move backwards and away from the monster that had her blood, but she was still so weak that she could barely even stay sitting up. "St-stay back! Why are you doing this?"

Baekhyun's usual mischievous smile was gone and he looked downright broody. "You still haven't gotten it through your head."

He reached for her, but instead of grabbing her neck, he picked her up in bridal style and turned around, walking towards what Yui could now see was a swimming pool.  It was an indoor pool and the columns throughout the space indicated to Yui that this must be the Sakong mansion's pool.

"You are at the mercy of Yours Truly," Baekhyun's voice cut through the silence and echoed off the high ceilings. "Stop quibbling over every little thing I do!"

She did not expect that he'd toss her into the pool, but he did just that and she had no chance to stop him.

"Now, tell me that I'm the best," he demanded, "Tell me I'm better than anyone else, and that you belong to me."

But Yui couldn't even breathe at the moment.  She clawed at the surface of the water and when she managed to get a gasp of air, she hoarsely cried out, "Baekhyun! I can't swim!"  But she was back under water the next second and she didn't think she would be able to get back up to the surface on her own.

She reached out to the blurry image of Baekhyun standing on the edge of the pool and at first he stayed immobile, uncaring as she drowned right before his eyes, but then something changed, the statue he was posing as crumbled and he dove in after her.  Yui could feel his grip, not too strong, steadily pulling her up to him.

And then his mouth was on hers.  Yui didn't know what was happening at first, she was too much on the brink of actually drowning to really notice what was happening, but her lungs were suddenly freed and she was able to breathe again.  She slowly opened her eyes and realized that it was Baekhyun; he was giving her oxygen through his mouth.

He broke apart from her and she saw that he had the most forlorn look she had ever seen him make.  He looked so sad, so abandoned, that this time, he looked like a five-year-old that had just lost his mother.

And this time, she was ready when Baekhyun pulled in to take her blood.  In fact, a part of her wanted to give it to him because he looked so needy for it, she wanted to comfort him in whatever way she could, with whatever she could give.

So he took, and took, and took.

Maybe I'll really die this time.  Simultaneous death by drowning and loss of blood.

But in that moment, Yui didn't care.  She was so weak, physically and mentally, that she was going to let go of any remaining will to fight for her life.

Cutting it close, Baekhyun pulled up both of them to the surface.  Yui coughed out the water in her lungs as she clutched desperately onto Baekhyun who steadily treaded the water.

"Your blood is flowing through my body... It's completely taking over me," he spoke in a delirious tone full of wonder.

"Please, no more," Yui weakly mumbled as she wept into his shoulder, having no strength left to even raise her head.

He paused and chuckled into her hair, "What to do with you. I guess that's enough for today."

He waded to the side of the pool and pushed her up onto the edge, pulling himself up afterwards.  Yui sat, catching her breath, when she felt something soft fall over her head.  It was a towel that Baekhyun had placed on her before he nonchalantly walked away.  Watching his retreating back, Yui couldn't help but remember the way he had so gently passed her oxygen through a kiss and was left wondering what that was all about.

When she was sure Baekhyun was gone, and that no one else seemed to be around, Yui took the opportunity to go search the room where she had seen her father's diary.

Thankfully, she didn't encounter anyone on her way up, most likely because the others were still at school, and she reached the attic room safely.  She closed the door behind herself and quickly scanned the books strewn over the floor.

I found it!

She eagerly picked up her father's diary and opened it, only to find that the diary was completely blank, with no trace of anything having ever been written in it.

What in the world? It's all gone?!

The diary slipped out of her hands, taking with it any hope she had of figuring out what was happening to her and why.

 

 


A/N: ahhh sorry for taking so long to update but thank you so much for reading, subscribing, and upvoting!!! \\\^o^/// i got a little creative in this chapter >.< but i hope my writing doesn't disappoint all you diabolik lovers fans out there! <3