The First Hour

Diexolik Lovers

It was a beautiful afternoon, just before the evening would set in, and the skies were painted beautiful hues of yellow and orange against the light blue dotted with soft clouds.  Yui rolled down the car window to let the warm breeze in as she was driven down a winding path between luscious trees, the nature scenery instilling a sense of peace in her.

This seems like a lovely place.

Yui breathed in the scent of wood and fresh leaves as she tried to ease her anxiety about leaving behind her life as she knew it to come to a new place where she didn't know anyone.  It couldn't be helped, since her father was called for work overseas and had to leave his church to another priest.  She wasn't sure of whom she was being left in the care, but she assumed it must be a friend of her father's.  So really, all she had was the address of the place she would be staying and the name of the new school she would be transferring to.

It's nice and quiet, but this seems really far out from any cities.

They had left the main road before turning onto this winding one, but they had yet to arrive at a house.  Given how secluded the road they were on at the moment was, she wondered if they were on private land.  And then she saw it, a large building with brown gabled roofs rising above the tree tops.

Wait, isn't that the church I saw across the lake earlier? It's so big, almost like a mansion!

But then the taxi sped right up to the iron-wrought gate in front of the building and the driver confirmed that this was the address Yui had given him.  Yui hesitantly climbed out with her single luggage bag and looked up at the towering building, realizing that it definitely wasn't a church.  It was an enormous mansion, complete with a large driveway and all.  She pushed through the gates and walked past the gargoyle fountain, feeling a chill as the sun had already disappeared below the horizon and left the clouds looking dark and heavy.

Just as Yui reached the grandiose front doors of the mansion, raindrops began to splatter against the ground and in a matter of seconds, the clouds were pelting rain and flashing lightning.

Of course it's a thunderstorm. No wonder it got so dark all of a sudden.

The ominous rumble of thunder, along with the lightning, urged Yui to hurry up the front steps to get shelter under the doorway.  Luckily, she was able to avoid getting sopping wet and having to be introduced to her new caretakers looking like a half-drowned cat.  As to be expected of such old European-style architecture, the front doors had a knocker, not a doorbell.  But even after knocking and calling out, there was no answer.

Yui thought maybe the people inside couldn't hear her through the heavy doors and in the rainstorm, so she reached for the horizontal brass door handle to let herself in, but the door swung in at that moment.  She crossed the threshold, expecting someone to be behind the door, but seeing no one, she thought it was odd that they would have automated doors, but no doorbell.

"Excuse me, is anyone home?" Yui called out into the seemingly empty hallway. "That's weird, maybe they weren't told I would be coming today."

She dragged her luggage bag behind her as she walked down a crimson red carpet that stretched down the hall between tall, Greek columns and up an impressive staircase ahead.  The hallway was dark, but thankfully an exquisite gold chandelier brightened up the place above the bottom of the stairs.  Yui tried calling out to see if anyone was home, but still getting no response, she began looking around.  She spied someone lying on a green couch in a room off to the side and hurriedly made her way there.

There was a boy, appearing to be similar in age to Yui, wearing a school uniform and napping on the couch.  He had a dark magenta scarf tied around his neck and his hair was dyed a dark pink.  Yui didn't want to bother a sleeping person, but she had no choice but to wake him in this situation.

"Um, excuse me," Yui called as she reached for the sleeping boy's hand, but it was so cold to her touch that she cried in surprise, "You're so cold! Are you okay?!"

Worried that the boy was sick or passed out, Yui quickly crouched next to the couch and pressed her ear to the boy's chest to check for a heartbeat, but she could hear nothing. "He doesn't have a pulse! Oh my god, I have to call an ambulance!"

She quickly pulled out her phone from her handbag and began dialing 119, but before she could make the call, pale slender fingers stole it out of her grasp.

"Shut up already," the boy who was apparently very alive grumbled as he sat up and glared at Yui. "This isn't your house, so stop being noisy."

"Y-you're alive..," Yui uttered in surprise.

"Well, duh. What do you think I am?" he stated matter-of-factly.

"But, your heart was stopped," Yui said in a trembling voice and moved to get up, but the boy grabbed her and swung her down onto the couch, straddling her in an instant.

"What?!" Yui exclaimed, feeling increasingly scared.

"What you mean, 'What'?" the boy said with a smirk and a menacing glint in his eyes, "Isn't it obvious? I'm about to partake of you."

Yui winced and squeezed her eyes shut when the boy leaned down over her.  She was terrified and frozen, unable to do anything but whimper when the boy her neck in an obscene way.

What in the world is happening? Why is this happening to me??!

Yui could feel the boy's hot breath fan out against her neck and she was too scared to even think about what could happen next, but someone appeared in the nick of time to come to her rescue.

"Baekhyun, what's all the commotion?" a stern voice called out from nearby.

The boy, supposedly Baekhyun, paused what he was doing. "Damnit. What do you want, Joonmyun."

"This is the entrance hall," Yui peeked out to see a frowning boy wearing rectangular glasses and the same school uniform as Baekhyun say. "This is meant to be used as a place to greet our guests. Take this kind of activity to your own room."

What? Wasn't he trying to help me?

Yui looked on in horrified shock, but Baekhyun drew back from her, muttering, "Well, that was a letdown."

Taking the opportunity to get away from the couch and Baekhyun, Yui rushed to Joonmyun's side, thinking the boy with glasses still seemed less dangerous than Baekhyun.

"Please help me!" Yui implored him, but Joonmyun's face stayed cold and impassive as he asked her, "And you are?"

"I'm Koh Yui." Yui explained desperately, "My father told me I was supposed to be staying here."

"I haven't heard anything of the sort," Joonmyun replied evenly. "Baekhyun, what is this about?"

"Huh? How should I know," Baekhyun practically spat in annoyance. "Actually, Pancake, you never said anything about that."

"That's because you attacked me all of a sudden!" Yui defended herself. "Wait, did you just say 'pancake'? Are you talking about me?"

"Of course I'm talking about you, stupid," Baekhyun scoffed, "Don't you even know you're as flat as a pancake?"

Yui reflexively covered her chest with her arms, but she couldn't really make a retort.

"Strange, I wasn't informed of any of this," Joonmyun spoke aloud to himself, concentrating in thought with a hand on his chin.

Yui decided to try to get some information out of Joonmyun, since he seemed like the more reasonable one to talk to. "Um, who are you guys?"

"We shouldn't talk here," Joonmyun replied without even looking at her and began walking away. "For now, come this way. See to her luggage, please."

"Huh?" Yui asked in confusion, only to turn and see that an old grey-haired butler had silently appeared out of nowhere and then withdrew back into the shadows taking her luggage with him.  Feeling disturbed and utterly creeped out, Yui turned back to see Baekhyun still glaring at her from the couch, so she hurried off after Joonmyun.

Unfortunately, Baekhyun was still glaring at her from his seat next to her couch in the drawing room Joonmyun had led her into.  Yui tried to ignore his intense gaze and kept her eyes trained on the ground until Joonmyun spoke up again from where he was standing across the coffee table.

"Now then, in the interest of formality, let us begin by having you tell us about yourself and how you came to enter this house."

"Um, right, I-"

Yui was interrupted by the sound of someone chuckling from within the room, but it was neither Joonmyun nor Baekhyun.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here? Is there really a cute little human girl in a place like this?" a deep voice singsonged from above, and Yui turned to see another uniform-clad boy leaning against the railings of the balcony overlooking the room.  This boy seemed to be very tall and wore a fedora hat over tousled orange locks.  Yui grew a little hopeful because this boy seemed friendly, at least he wasn't glaring or frowning, but in a blink of an eye, he disappeared from the balcony and the next second, Yui felt someone her left cheek.  Startled and completely grossed out, Yui lunged right and covered her cheek, but when she looked to see the perpetrator, it was the same boy she had seen up on the balcony just a second ago.

"Mmm, you have such a sweet and nice smell," the boy teased in his deep voice, acting like what he did was absolutely normal.  But Yui didn't have a chance to even complain or protest before she was assaulted by another person invading her personal space.  Unbeknownst to her, there had been another boy standing behind her couch and he leaned over to bring his face close to hers.

"Please let me have a , too," he spoke softly and her right ear. "You're right, she is sweet."

Yui whimpered with her eyes shut tight, not even wanting to see who this new terror was.  She covered her face and rocked herself.

This is all a dream. A bad dream. A nightmare. I'll wake up soon. Please wake up soon.

"Now you two, don't you think you're behaving a little impolitely towards a lady you've only just met?" Joonmyun's calm and collected voice broke her inner incantation and she was a tiny bit relieved to see that at least one person other than herself seemed to be sane.

The boy wearing the hat whined from her left, "What? But if you see something that looks yummy, you'd want to taste it right away. Right, Kyungsoo?"

"Yes," the boy behind the couch softly replied.

"Knock it off, you guys," Baekhyun suddenly spoke up. "Yours Truly found her first. Yours Truly is going to take all her firsts."

"So lame. 'Yours Truly' this, 'Yours Truly' that. I'm sick of hearing you call yourself that," a low voice entered the fray, but Yui couldn't see who the latest addition to the unwelcoming party was.

"Screw you!" Baekhyun yelled as he stood up angrily. "I know that's you, Sehun. Show yourself!"

"Over here," the low voice drawled and Yui whipped her head left to see that yet another boy in a school uniform had silently appeared and was standing far off against the wall. "I thought it stank of human in here. So it was you," The boy narrowed his eyes at Yui. "How dare you interrupt my precious sleep?"

"W-where did you come in from?" Yui asked, but the boy threw out his arm and struck the wall, leaving it crumbled and damaged behind his fist, and roared, "I asked you a question first!"

That's not human. You can't just break a wall with human strength. He's a monster.

Yui sat trembling, her fear increasingly eating away at her sanity.

Joonmyun sighed and pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. "Has anyone heard anything about this lady who has come here to live with us?"

Yui stood up from the couch abruptly. "Um, I think this must all be some kind of misunderstanding, so I'll be on my way." She gave a slight bow and began rushing out, but before she could get past Joonmyun, he demanded her to stop.

"I am attempting to verify the truth of the matter. Wouldn't it be rather impolite to leave now?"

"B-but.."

"Are you the woman that guy mentioned?" a new voice inquired.  No longer shocked to see new people popping up everywhere without a sound, Yui saw that a guy wearing a beige sweater, not a uniform, was lying on a couch against the wall next to a fireplace behind where Yui had been sitting.

"Jongin, do you know something about this girl?" Joonmyun asked him.

"Maybe," the guy replied keeping his eyes closed and earphones in his ears.

"Don't say 'maybe,'" the boy who had been standing behind her when she was on the couch said, "I would like an explanation."  For the first time, Yui got a look at the boy who had her ear and saw that he was smaller than the rest of the boys and carried a teddy bear wearing an eyepatch, but he was wearing the same school uniform as the others.

"That guy... contacted me the other day," the guy lying on the couch next to the fireplace explained, "He said that we'll be having a guest arriving from the church so we must treat her with respect."

"What?" Baekhyun interjected, "So you're saying that Pancake here is the prospective bride?"

"Huh?" Yui exclaimed in alarm, but no one paid her any heed at this point.

"So that was it," the boy carrying the teddy bear commented, and the boy wearing the hat hummed in agreement, adding, "Well, rather than a 'bride,' it's more like a sacrifice."

What? "Sacrifice"?? What does that mean?!

The boy next to the fireplace opened his eyes for the first time since talking and said as an afterthought, "Oh yeah, also, he mentioned not to kill her."

"Kill her"?? Oh my god, what is this place? Who are these people? What are these people?!

"Aww really?" the boy wearing the hat replied, still talking in a singsong manner as if they weren't talking about her being a sacrifice and killing her. "Then that means we're going to have a verrry long relationship with her."

Joonmyun turned to face Yui. "It appears there was no misunderstanding, so allow us to introduce ourselves. Over there next to the fireplace is the eldest son, Jongin. I am the second son, Joonmyun. This here is Baekhyun."

Baekhyun stared up at me from his seat with a cocky smirk. "I won't let you get away next time."

Joonmyun gestured at the short boy holding the teddy bear and introduced him as "Kyungsoo," who said with an innocent smile in his soft voice, "Please let me sample you again sometime."

Next was the boy wearing the fedora who Joonmyun introduced as "Chanyeol."  Chanyeol gave her a teasing wink as he said, "Pleased to meet you, Little ."

Joonmyun lastly pointed to the boy who had destroyed the wall with his fist. "And the last son, Sehun."  Sehun clucked his tongue angrily and grumbled to the side, "What a waste of time."

Yui didn't even want to start thinking about the boys' responses to her, asking to 'sample' her and calling her 'Little .' "But this has to be a mistake. I haven't heard anything about being a bride or whatever. A-and besides, there's something... wrong with all of you."

The boys all stared back at her without saying a word, and Yui found herself inching backwards. "I.. I need to contact my father.."

Baekhyun suddenly whipped out Yui's phone he had taken from her earlier.

"My cell phone! Please give it back!"

"What should I do~" Baekhyun leered at her.

Yui ran over to take her phone but he moved it just out of her reach. "Give it back! Please!"

Just then, Sehun appeared beside them and took the phone from Baekhyun.

"What are you doing?" Yui asked Sehun who gripped the phone in his left hand.

"I'm doing this," he stated flatly and proceeded to break her phone with one hand.

"How could you?" Yui uttered disbelievingly, but Sehun just hissed at her, "Get lost," and left her to stare at the broken remnants of her phone on the floor.

"There, there, Little ," Chanyeol came up behind her and whispered into her left ear, "From now on, you're going to be very good friends with us, so you don't need your silly old cell phone, right?"

Kyungsoo appeared from behind as well and whispered into her right ear, "I've actually been feeling kind of peckish from a while ago."

"Tell me about it," Chanyeol responded, drawing closer to her ear, "You smell so delicious, Little ."

With that, he opened his mouth and Yui saw out of the corner of her eye fangs that were too long and pointy to be a normal human's.  She screamed and tried to run but ended up tripping on the carpet, given how she could barely stand with how much her legs were shaking.

Great, I bloodied my knee from a carpet burn. In a room full of...

Yui glanced up to see the boys in front of her all staring hungrily at her with their lips parted to show their elongated and sharpened fangs.

"V-vampires?" But Yui had something she always carried on her person that was known to be effective in warding off vampires.  She quickly fetched it from her back pocket and held it out in front of her, a silver necklace with a cross pendant. "Take this!"

Jongin from across the room let out a snort.

"Honestly," Joonmyun said unimpressed, "did you really believe that fairy tale written by a mortal claiming that vampires are vulnerable to garlic, holy crosses and sunshine? This just goes to show how foolish and arrogant mortals are. That makes me furious."

Yui couldn't take it any longer.  She was being driven out of her mind, she needed to get out of this place.  She burst out of the room, leaving behind the six vampire sons, and didn't hear Joonmyun state disapprovingly, "Her manners are deplorable."

Yui didn't know where she was going, the mansion was so big, but she just wanted to get as far away as possible from those monsters, so she could only run and hope to stumble across an exit.  She ran through twisting hallways and she thought she wasn't being followed, but one turn led her past tables full of brightly decorated sweets and pastries, and right next to them stood Kyungsoo with his teddy bear, staring at her with wide eyes.  "I'll break you," he said with a sadistic smile, and she could only keep running and hope that he wouldn't follow her.

But how did he get there? He didn't even look like he had run there.

Yui shook her head and ran further until she came across an antique turn dial phone in one of the hallways.  Thinking it was her saving grace, she hurriedly grabbed the receiver, only to find that the cord had been cut.

"I told you, didn't I? That you wouldn't be needing a phone during your time here," Chanyeol's deep voice echoed around her in the halls. "Now then, where has my Little run off to?"

Yui's eyes darted all over the place, but she couldn't see where Chanyeol could be, and she backpedalled until she collided into someone.

"Take a guess," Chanyeol spoke directly into her ear from behind.

Nearly hysterical, Yui took off running again in the opposite direction, until she somehow finally found her way back to the front doors of the mansion.  But no matter how hard she pulled or pushed at the doors, they would not budge.  Suddenly, an arm shot out from behind her and slammed onto the door.

"Where are you trying to go?" Baekhyun sneered, "It's the much-anticipated time to scream. Please humor me by screaming at the top of your lungs." Baekhyun caged her in with his arms against the door. "You can't get away from me now, anyway."

Yui pushed Baekhyun away and escaped, running away from him as he laughed like everything she did was futile.

Maybe it is futile. Maybe I'm just going to die here.

Yui had half a mind to just give up and let the monsters eat her alive, but she bounded up the main staircase and climbed another set of spiraling steps to find herself drawn to a room with the door ajar and broken chains and locks on the floor in front of it.  She went inside, closing the door behind herself, and surveyed the room, which seemed to have been unused and vacant for a long time.  The room itself seemed to be an attic room, with slanted ceilings, and white cloths covered furniture and paintings on the wall.  But a dresser on one side of the room had all kinds of bright jewelry and perfume bottles strews on top of it, instead of being put away in boxes and containers.

That's odd. It looks almost as if they were all still being used.

Yui walked past the dresser to see the latticed windows, or rather, doors leading out to the balcony outside, and out there, bathed in the crescent moon's light, stood a woman with long hair wearing a long gown, facing the other way.  Perhaps she noticed Yui's presence, because the woman slowly turned her head towards Yui, but the second Yui laid her eyes on the woman's face, her heart throbbed in the most painful way she could think possible.  She clutched at her chest and fell backwards, landing against a bookshelf and knocking a couple books down.

Soon enough, the blinding pain subsided, but when Yui cautiously looked at the balcony, the woman was no longer there.  Yui looked at the books that had fallen to the ground around her and saw that one of them had landed open with a photograph falling out of its pages.  She gasped when she picked up the photograph depicting a priest cradling a baby clasping onto a silver cross pendant that looked exactly like hers. "Is this... me? Is this Father's diary? But how?"

Yui picked up the open book and read the text on the page. "'Yui gives me happiness. The fact that she is not actually my child means nothing now. I am only grateful for this great blessing every day I live.'... What does this mean? I'm not my father's daughter?! What is my father's diary doing here?!"

"Of all the rooms, you had to pick this one to enter," Joonmyun's voice interrupted her, but Yui knew it sounded too close, like he was right in the room with her.  She looked up with dread to see all six boys lounging around the very room she was in, despite the fact she had closed the door and didn't hear it open.

"This is a room that we have sealed off so no one may enter," Joonmyun continued sternly. "I will have to fit it with a new lock."

"That's for sure," Chanyeol agreed, squatting very close to where Yui was crouched on the floor, "How did you get in here, Little ?"

Standing next to Chanyeol was Kyungsoo, who peered down at her with an ominous expression. "Please stay put. You're my prey."

"I-I'm nobody's prey," Yui tried to protest but her voice sounded so small and weak.

"Enough excuses," Sehun growled angrily and struck the wall from where he was standing across the room, causing more books to fall from the shelf Yui was cowering against.

"Oh, Sehun, not again," Chanyeol said wearily, but Sehun just told him to shut up.

By now, Yui trembling uncontrollably and had squeezed her eyes shut to try to shut out the reality of this terrible dream, but she felt hands pulling her chin to the right and her eyes involuntarily fluttered open to see Baekhyun gazing down at her smugly. "That's the look that gets my juices flowing."

Chanyeol chuckled, "Perhaps I'll partake as well."

"I want a taste, too," Kyungsoo said with his wide, unblinking eyes.

Joonmyun's stern demeanor was the same. "There is only one fact that you must fully comprehend: the fact that you can never escape from us."

"Oh, get straight to the point, will you," Sehun grumbled. "Just tell her that if she tries to escape, she's dead."

Baekhyun and Chanyeol were already all over Yui, Baekhyun at and Chanyeol nibbling on her ear.

"St-stop.. Stop it!" Yui cried out and would have begun sobbing in hysterics if it weren't for the sudden breaking of glass that stilled everyone.  They looked over to see that it was the glass that had covered a painting dropped on the ground.

"My bad, I knocked it over," Jongin stated quietly but did nothing else.

W-wasn't that to help me? Didn't he do that on purpose to stop the others? Then why isn't he doing anything else?? Why isn't he telling them to stop?! Isn't he the eldest son? Then they would listen to him! Why isn't he saying anything?!!

"Hey, Pancake," Baekhyun said lowly as he reached for Yui's neck. "Are you ready?"

He had her pinned on the ground by the neck and she watched in horror as he opened his mouth wide, exposing his vampire fangs, and loomed in closer.

Yui squeezed her eyes shut once again and shouted her silent plea.

Please, God!!!

 


A/N: ehhh lol sorry if any of you are fans of the anime and had different exo castings in mind, but i chose them considering the other 6 vampire characters to be appearing in the second season, which has just now begun airing (wiki's my source for character information and other stuff).. it just so happened that in my mind, the character profiles fit them so that all k members would have to be the 6 brothers (otherwise, i'd totally have made luhan the teddy bear-holding babyface brother, and the eldest son may not have been kai but maybe kris or lay)

is this boring because it's just exactly what happens in the anime? >.< if so, i will probably not continue this, so please let me know if you want me to continue this!