19. you love me

The Untouchables

After our conversation in the dorm hallway, Sehun seemed to understand that I needed some time alone, just to figure things out. So he’s given me space.

 

I have to say that I really appreciate it.

 

It feels kind of weird, though, in a funny way. I mean, I was so used to arguing with him constantly, sneering at him whenever I saw him, devising how to take him down.

 

And now we pretty much ignore each other. The most we’ve ever exchanged is small, subtle nods. I haven’t gone up to the Astronomy Club, either- hell, I can barely look at the Fluck building. To think that I was the one who vandalized it- damn. Props to you, 14-year-old Mihi.

 

I just wanted some time to settle in. To figure out who I really was. Who my real friends were.

 

    Now that I’ve done so... half of me is reluctant to associate with Sehun again. Life has been alright without him. I’ve become much less stressed, now that I don’t have to concern myself with constantly one-upping him. Everything’s a lot less complicated.

 

    But then I think about the way he makes me feel. The way my heart flutters every time I see him. The small little quirks and foibles that makes Oh Sehun who he is.

 

    And god, I want to talk to him.

 


 

“So have you decided yet?” Fei asks me at dinner.

 

I wince. “Uh... whether I’m getting chocolate cake or flan for dinner? I’m leaning towards the flan, but the chocolate cake does look pretty good, so-,”

 

“Not that, idiot,” Hyuna sniffs. “You know. Winter formal or no?”

 

My gaze drifts towards Sehun. He is coolly apprehending everyone around him as they giggle and chatter away. Like a king surveying his empire.

 

“I still haven’t decided,” I say apologetically. “Give me two more days!” I add as our whole tale erupts into good-natured groans. “One more day! One more night!”

 

“Jesus, Mihi,” Junhong sighs. “Just come! It’ll be fun!”

 

“Hey, shut up! Respect your elders. Besides, do you know how long it’ll take me to get ready? Should I really expend all that effort for a stupid ball?”

 

“It takes ten minutes to get ready! Just throw on your dress and go! Oh, and brush your hair, if you want.”

 

How do you have a girlfriend?” Jia says, shaking her head.

 

“I force him to brush his hair,” Bomi pipes up. “It’s all good.”

 

“Well, decide quickly!” Min flips her hair. “I can get you a date, if you want. Word on the street is that there are a few guys who want to go with you. I can totally set you up.”

 

I look at Sehun again- just as his eyes dart away from me. My face turns a shade of pink as I whip my head back towards Min.

 

“I’m good,” I say. “I’ll just go with our group. No date necessary.”

 

“Alright. We’ll rock this ball! Oh, wait, where are you going?”

 

“I- uh- forgot my phone in my dorm,” I say. “I’ll be right back, okay?”

 

The truth is, I just really need some air. A sharp, chilly December draft hits me in the face as I push open the doors to the cafeteria. The cold should feel unpleasant, but instead, the sharp wind feels refreshing. I amble around a little, clutching my cardigan tighter around me. My mind is foggy with a windstorm of thoughts. I do not realize that I am standing in front of the lake before I am actually there.

 

The soft waves lapping against the grass make a soothing noise that has an incredibly calming effect on my nerves. I step further down the banks of the lake, my gaze transfixed on its midnight-blue waters.

 

I met Oh Sehun for the first time in freshman year by this lake. I have been flung into this lake. I have thrown Sehun’s lucky pendant into this lake.

 

His lucky pendant.

 

I peer into the murky depths of the water.

 

And that is when the most insane idea I have had since I joined this stupid school pops into my head.

 

If I find his pendant, I’ll go to the Winter Formal. With Sehun. If I don’t find it, I won’t go at all.

 

The rational part of my brain dismisses this as one of those random, completely idiotic ideas that pops into my head on occasion.

 

But the impulsive side- the side I’ve been listening to more often lately, and- coincidentally- the one that’s landed me in the most trouble- is telling me to do it.

 

Don’t be a , Mihi. Please don’t be a . This is so unnecessarily and just downright moronic. Go back to the cafeteria and eat your ing dinner.

 

    Hm.

 

    Oh, what the hell.

 

    I remove my cardigan, my fingers fumbling over the buttons in the cold, and fling it aside. My socks, shoes, skirt, and button-down shirt follow, so that I am finally wearing nothing but a black cami, bra, and .

 

    I’m going to get hypothermia. I haven’t even entered the water yet and I’m already freezing my off.

 

    But there’s a rush of adrenaline pumping through my veins. A grin slides onto my face and I feel alive and really, really good.

 

    I march towards the edge of the water. My fists are clenched in determination. Taking a deep breath, I brace myself for the glacial cold that will hit me once I enter the lake.

 

    Alright, Mihi. One. Two. Thr-

 

    “What the hell are you doing?!”

 

    I whirl around. Oh Sehun is standing at the top of the knoll surrounding the lake. His chest is heaving.

 

    “I try and follow you so we can finally talk, and instead, I find you stripped down to your ing underwear in front of the lake! You’re going to get sick- goddammit, here.” He rushes down to me, flings off his cardigan, and pulls it over my head. I am too incredulous to do anything but gape back at him.

 

“The things you do, honestly- we’re going to the observatory before anyone finds us here and thinks we just ed or something.” Sehun grabs me by the hand. “Well? Are you coming? Or do you want to keep standing out here half-?”

 

“I threw your lucky charm in the lake,” I blurt out.

 

Sehun looks at me in surprise.

 

“It was in October. The day after you and your friends threw me into the lake. I was pissed as hell, so I distracted you and Mark took your keychain. And that was the same day you hurt- well, I thought you hurt yourself- in the soccer match, so I got totally freaked out and I thought it was all my fault. So... yeah. I was thinking I could, you know. Find it again. I’m really sorry.”

 

He stares at me for a good minute, grasping for words that fail to come to him. I look at him, half apprehensive and almost hysterical.

 

And then he slaps his hand to his forehead.

 

“You are unreal,” he says in utter disbelief. “Absolutely unreal.”

 

“Don’t ask why I’m trying to get it now,” I continue. “Like, I mean, I kind of made this mini-bet in my head, and I said that if I got the keychain I would go to the Winter Formal with you- well, I would actually ask you again and stuff- and if I didn’t, I wouldn’t go, and I don’t have your keychain, but we are talking again, so it’s kind of a paradoxical situation, you see, and I’m not really sure what exactly I’m supposed to-,”

 

And then Sehun pulls me towards him and cuts me off with a kiss.

 

A very long, deep kiss.

 

With his arms wrapped around my waist and his soft lips on mine and what feels like fireworks going up between both of us.

 

Finally, Sehun pulls away from me. He looks at my face and- goddammit- that stupid, irritating smirk appears on his face.

 

“I guess that clears things up,” he says nonchalantly.

 

I simply blink back at him, totally, absolutely, completely stunned.

 

    “Here’s the thing, Mihi. I like you. A lot. You’re smart and confident and ballsy as hell, and honestly, whenever I’m around you, it’s always fun.” Sehun swallows. “And- I just- despite all the I put you through, and how rude I was to you... you didn’t judge me when you found out about my passion for astronomy. Or the fact that I act one way in public and one way when I’m alone. You’re the most genuine person I know.”

 

    “And I’m sorry if you still need a little bit more time to think about things,” he adds apologetically. “If I’m being too pushy or anything right now, just tell me-,”

 

    “No, you’re fine,” I tell him hastily, my face breaking into a smile. “Honestly, I wanted to talk to you, too. I was just nervous.”

 

    Taking a deep breath, I place my hands over Sehun’s. “I like you too, Sehun,” I whisper. “You’re really admirable, you know? I don’t know how you manage to be good at ten million things at once.”

 

    “I’m not,” he protests, and I give him a look.

 

    “You are, idiot. Not only are you the most popular person in this stupid school, but you’re smart as hell, too. How is it possibly for a 17-year-old to know so much about astrophysics?”

 

    I can tell Sehun is blushing, even in the darkness of the night. “I don’t know that much.”

 

    “Yeah, you do! And it’s freaking awesome. I hated you for such a long time. And then I kind of stepped back and realized that a lot of my dislike towards you was jealousy and my friends hyping up how much I should dislike you and stuff. You’re a great person, Sehun.”

 

    Sehun wraps his arms around me in a bear hug and I giggle. “Okay, can we relocate to somewhere else?” I laugh. “This isn’t the best situation to be seen in.”

 

    “Alright, then.” Suddenly, Sehun literally sweeps me off my feet and carries me in his arms, bridal-style. “Off to the observatory we go.”

 

    “Sehun, what the hell?” I screech. “Stop! You’re going to drop me! How the hell are you going to carry me all the way up to the observatory?!”

 

    “I work out.”

 

    “Wha- , Sehun, wait! Get my clothes!”

 

    “You won’t need those.”

 

    “Shut up!” I elbow him in the chest, reddening. “You’re so cheesy!”

    “Aw, but you love me.”  


A/N: yall i just got asked to prom today!!! so my two friends told me we had to work on an english project at starbucks (my fav place ever) so i was like aight, so i get to starbucks and my good guy friend was there with a poster and a TON of chocolate cupcakes he made from scratch and i was like OH BRUH AYEEEEE AND YEAH LOL