15. can't do this

The Untouchables

i've updated a lot in the past day make sure you read everything!!


 

“I just hate it, Haemin,” I moan, digging into my second eclair. “Sometimes I wish I hadn’t turned popular or whatever. I wouldn’t have to deal with all this freaking bull. When I was just another ignored scholarship student, my grades were higher, there was much less drama, and I was definitely not as confused as I am now!”

 

Haemin shakes her head. “Wow. I actually have no idea what to do in this situation. I can’t tell if Sehun’s screwing around with you or if he actually likes you, because I don’t even know him and I can’t gauge who he is.”

 

“Yeah, well, if you come to the Winter Formal, you’ll be able to meet him.”

 

“Winter Formal? Why would I go to the Winter Formal?”

 

My eyes widen. “Oh, ! Haemin, I completely forgot to tell you, JB is-,”

 

The door suddenly opens, and- of course- JB hurries in, looking rather frantic. When he sees me, he lets out a sigh of relief.

 

“There you are!” he exclaims. “I’ve been looking all over campus for you! What happened at lunch? What did Sehun say? Everyone’s assuming the worst- there are rumors going around everywhere, but Sehun won’t say anything-,”

 

Screw Sehun!” I yell, causing a few customers to jolt in surprise. “He’s actually the biggest in the entire freaking world.”

 

“Oh, no. Don’t tell me told you that he asked you to the dance as a joke or something-,”

 

“No! He didn’t even say anything! He just blew me off in front of all his stupid friends!”

 

JB groans. “Sehun... he’s so unreadable. You know, I actually thought he liked you.”

 

“What?! Why?”

 

“You remember the night of Hyuna’s party, when we had to take you back to the dorms? Sehun was freaking out. He looked so worried- the most worried I’d ever seen him. I swear he went about 20 miles over the speed limit when he was driving, and then he just took you straight to his room and kept fretting over you-,”

 

“Stop, stop, stop.” I bury my head in my hands. “You’re making me even more confused.”

 

“Andong drama,” Haemin says, ruffling my hair. “The weirdest thing that’s ever happened at my school is some guy who accidentally dated identical twins at the same time. And that was 6 years ago.”

 

JB’s eyes suddenly snap up, as if he has suddenly realized that Haemin is sitting in front of him. “Oh, Haemin!

 

“Hello, JB,” Haemin says rather warily.

 

Oh, crap. My gaze pingpongs back and forth between JB and Haemin. Is he going to-

 

“Haemin, would you like to go to the Winter Formal with me?” JB casually asks.

 

Okay, question answered.

 

Haemin bursts out into laughter. “Oh, of course,” she giggles. “And then we can go to Seoul afterwards and have dinner with the President. I hope they have lobster frittata!”  

 

“Do you really want to do that?” JB says. “I can make that happen.”

 

Haemin’s smile drops.

 

“You’re not actually being serious, right?” she says slowly.

 

“I’m completely serious.”

 

For the first time in the whole three years I’ve known her, Haemin is utterly speechless. She simply stares up at JB, her jaw slack.

 

And then she whips her head around to me.

 

“You knew about this!” she gasps, her tone accusatory. “That’s why you said I could see Sehun if I came to the Winter Formal!”

 

I grimace. “I- well- yeah.”

 

“Is this some kind of joke?” Haemin questions JB. “Or, like, is this a social experiment? We don’t even know each other!”

 

“I actually really want to take you,” JB grins. “Because you’re interesting. And I like you.”

 

I rub my temples as Haemin’s eyes go as wide as saucers. “Wha- what the heck?” she sputters.

 

“Just think about it, okay?” JB smiles. “If you can go, that would be awesome. You could meet our other friends! And we could all have fun together. I promise I’ll make it a fun night.”

 

She simply goggles up at him.

 

“Anyway, Mihi.” He pats me on the back. “Don’t forget we have a party tonight. Oh, Haemin, do you want to come, too-,”

 

No!” Haemin and I exclaim at the same time.

 

“Just give her some time,” I tell JB. “Besides, do you really want to take her to an Andong party?”

 

“Eh, true. Guess I’ll see you around, then.” And he playfully ruffles Haemin’s hair before strolling out the door.

 

Haemin and I stand in absolute silence for a good minute.

 

And then Haemin utters, “What the hell just happened?”

 

“I have no idea,” I respond. “I told you, JB thinks you’re really, really interesting, for some reason.”

 

“I still don’t get why! Does he have a for normal people or something? Is that even a thing?”

 

“Ew, no! I don’t understand either!”

 

Should I go to the Winter Formal?”

 

I bite my lip. “Well... most of it’s going to . There are going to be a lot of snobbish kids there, and annoyingly fancy food, and waltzes that never seem to end.”

 

“But...?”

 

“But...,” I sigh. I should be excited about this. After all, all Andong students are supposed to get excited about school dances.

 

I just can’t make myself care, though.

 

“I don’t know, Haemin. This is all so stupid.” I give her a sly smile. “Hey, we could just ditch and go grab pizza. Because you love me.”

 

“Ha ha. I don’t love you for not giving me a heads up that he was going to ask me.”

 

“Sorry! I totally forgot, until I saw him walk in.”

 

“Oh, totally,” Haemin chuckles. “I would be honored to get pizza with you, Mihi.”

 

“Screw boys! We don’t need anyone else!” I shout, pumping my fist in the air, and Haemin laughs even harder.

 


 

Screw boys indeed. When my friends and I arrive at the party later that night, Sehun merely spares me a single, contemptful glance, and then looks away.

 

I grit my teeth. Fine, then. If that isn’t enough confirmation that he was ing with me about the Winter Formal, then I don’t know what is. I’m not going to try and talk to him again and embarrass myself further. Storming over to the kitchen counter, where an impressively diverse array of alcohol sits, I pour myself a glass of Jim Beam bourbon and down it all in one go.

 

“We’ve been here for two minutes and Mihi’s already set to get ed up,” Jackson snickers. I flip him the bird as I start on a cup of whiskey.

 

My friends have been surprisingly unintrusive about my confrontation with Sehun this morning. I suppose seeing me run out of the cafeteria was a pretty clear indication of what went down between us. They’re all being nice to me again; Suzy’s asking me if I want her new Yves Saint Laurent Beaute eyeliner and Jackson’s teasing me about teaching him how to down a bottle of Patron in one go. It pisses me off. They were so snippy to me this morning. The only person who was actually worried about me was JB.

 

How can they just turn around and plaster smiles on their face and act like everything’s okay? It ing annoys me.

 

It seems like the more time I spend in the world of the Andong elites, the more I realize how fake everyone is. Everyone here has two faces, whether it be Sehun or Suzy. It’s like they’re all scared to reveal who they really are, for some ridiculous reason. They have to put on this stupid facade and act like they’re these perfect people when they’re actually not.

 

And then it hits me: I fall into that category, too. I’m two faced as well. My veneer of popularity, beauty, and effortless charisma is all just a show. The person who I was during the early years of my high school career- the quiet, reclusive bookworm who preferred distancing herself from the superficial activities of her classmates- that is who I truly am.

 

So why do I keep up this charade?

 

Because I want to fit in. I want to show Sehun he can't just look down on me like that.

 

Is it even worth it, though?

 

“Mihi!” someone screams from the other side of the room. I turn. Hyuna is sitting with a large group of people, amongst which are my friends and- a pang hits my chest- Sehun’s group.  When I see a bottle sitting in the middle of their circle, I know exactly what’s happening.

 

“Come play with us!” Hyuna says.

 

I slam down my glass on the table and push through the throng of intoxicated people grinding up on each other, until I arrive at the circle.  

 

“Spin the bottle?” I ask.

 

“Nope! Strip truth or dare. Whoever the bottle lands on you, it’s your turn.”

 

“Gotcha.” I take a seat between Min and Jia. I’m not in the mood for this at all.

 

But, of course, appearances must be kept up. I can’t look like a buzzkill, can I?

 

The game begins, and right off the bat, I can tell that this is a lot wilder than I expected it would be. Bobby gets dared to spend 7 minutes in a closet with Seulgi (they don’t come back), Jia gets dared to scotch off of Myungsoo’s chest, and Haejol is forced to reveal that the most guys she’s ed at the same time is 3. The sheer depravity and immorality of this “game” may be appealing to some- I can see people getting - but it makes me sick. Everyone here is so juvenile. They all think they’re so mature, like they’re adults or something, because they’re being ual and talking about grown-up things and drinking expensive alcohol.

 

I’m sick and tired of all of this. I don’t give a about any of this stuff! Even the drama about Sehun and my friends that I was so worried about earlier today- who even cares? It’s only a big deal because I was making a big deal about it. If I was just a normal student again, would it even matter? Of course it wouldn’t!

That’s it. I can’t do this anymore.

 


 

A/N: aight this story is going to be pretty short, it'll be wrapping up in a few (like 7-10?) chapters