14. run out

The Untouchables

A/N: hey i like triple-updated so like make sure u read everything


 

I am woken up by the sound of banging on my door.

 

“Wake up, Mihi!” someone- whom I identify as Fei through my sleepy daze- hollers. “Get up! Get up, get up, get-,”

 

“I’m awake!” I say, flinging open the door. “What-,”

 

“Are you seriously going to the Winter Formal with Sehun?

 

I blink. Min, Fei, Jia, and Suzy are standing in front of my room, gaping at me.

 

“I- I can explain.”

 

Please do,” Min says, barging into my room and flinging herself down on my bed. “The last time I checked, getting revenge on Oh Sehun didn’t involve you going to a dance with him. Ooh, are you planning on ditching him again?”

 

“Uh... no. Okay, see, it was kind of a situational thing- first of all, Min, you need to ditch Hanbin, because he was going to ask me if I wanted to go to the Winter Formal with him-,”

 

“It’s okay,” Min says, batting a hand. “He was my backup date anyway.”

 

“Well, I kinda freaked, and I grabbed the closest person, which happened to be Sehun, and I asked him what color dress would look best on me, and- I don’t know- weird things happened- and then Sehun told Hanbin he was going to the dance with me, and- I seriously don’t even know!”

 

The four of them just blink.

 

And then Jia groans.

 

“What is with you and Sehun?” she says, shaking her head. “If I didn’t know you hated him, I would say you two had a thing.”

 

“Maybe they do have a thing,” Fei sniggers. “You know what they say. There’s a fine line between love and hatred.”

 

Min giggles. “Ooh, Mrs. Oh Mihi-,”

 

“Stop it.” Suzy is staring at the four of us, an expression of disgust on her face. My eyes widen. This is the scariest I’ve seen Suzy ever look.

 

“Don’t you guys remember how terrible Sehun is?” she cries. “First of all, he makes Mihi’s life freaking hell. He threw her into a ing lake, for crying out loud! And on top of it, you know what happened with... him and Mark.”

 

The goofy expressions fade off Min, Jia, and Fei’s faces, replaced by immensely guilty looks. “Sorry,” Jia murmurs.

 

“Can someone tell me what exactly happened?” I question rather exasperatedly. “I’ve been asking you guys for ages.”

 

Suzy turns to me, her lips pressed together in a thin line. “Why don’t you ask Sehun what happened?” she snaps, and then stomps out the door before I can even say a word. I watch her, open-mouthed.

 

“Hey...,” Fei lays a hand on my shoulder, biting her lip. “It’s... don’t worry. She’s just- give her a little bit of time, and then try to talk it out with her.”

 


 

The entire school knows that Sehun and I are going to the Winter Formal together. The most popular boy in school and one of the most popular girls in school, but also two people who were supposed to despise each other. The most infamous enemies in Andong Preparatory. As a result, even more whispers and stares follow me as I walk to the cafeteria.

 

“Hey, Mihi,” Son Chaeyoung says, bounding up to me. “Are you really going to the Winter Formal with Sehun?”

 

I give her a jerk of the head that could be interpreted as either a no or a yes and quickly hurry away to my table. When I arrive there, however, the tension is so thick it could be cut with a blunt knife.

 

“Morning, Mihi,” JB says, in an awkward attempt to break the silence.

 

“Are you really going with Sehun?” Mark suddenly questions. There is a heated look on his face that causes my stomach to squirm in apprehension.

 

“Uh... I- I don’t know-,”

 

“Yes or no?”

 

“I... I guess yes?”

 

Mark grimaces. “Mihi, why.

 

“It was kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing-,”

 

“Do you know the kind of guy Sehun is? He uses girls and ditches them immediately afterwards. You’re our friend, Mihi. We don’t want him to you over.”

 

I wince. I know what he’s saying is true- I’ve seen this happen plenty of times, even when I was nothing more than an inconspicuous underclassman. But how can he me over? It’s not like I actually like him or anything, I think, ignoring the twinge in my stomach.

 

“Don’t you think it’s suspicious that he decided to ask you?” Jia pipes up. “He hates you. What if he just wants to humiliate you in front of everyone?”

 

I can’t tell them about what happened last night, in the Fluck Observatory. But Sehun seemed so genuine then- of course he would be. We’d just finished the deepest conversation we had ever had. He wouldn’t just ask me to the dance simply to screw me over after all that... right?

 

“Maybe he’s trying to get back at Mark,” Suzy mutters.

 

I exhale. “Suzy, please tell me why he would try to get back at Mark. Someone please explain this backstory.”

 

“I’ll give you the short version.” Mark turns to me, his eyes blazing. “Sehun stole my girlfriend from me, when we were supposed to be best friends. Why? Just for the hell of it. That’s why I hate him. And that’s why you can never trust him. He just wants to use you for his own twisted purposes. Maybe he views you as a conquest. Look, I got the girl who embarrassed me at the Autumn Ball and the girl who hates me the most to fall for me! Look at how great I am! Now I’m going to humiliate her like she humiliated me!”

 

My jaw goes slack. I blankly look at him. The entire side of our cafeteria seems to have gone quiet.

 

I don’t even know what to say.

 

Because what Mark’s saying... sounds pretty damn accurate.

 

What if Sehun is just playing with me? Just because he’s still pissed about the whole Autumn Ball thing, and how I’ve repeatedly one-upped him, and how I refuse to take any from him? One night can’t erase months- no, years- worth of past misdeeds.

 

Suddenly, I stand up so quickly my chair nearly tips over. My friends watch me in surprise.

 

“What are you doing?” JB says, rising up as well.

 

“I’m going to settle this with Sehun once and for all,” I say, clenching my fists. “I’ll figure out what his intentions are.”

 

And before they can stop me, I determinedly march across the cafeteria to Sehun’s table. The entire school’s eyes follow me as I stop in front of Sehun. He is joking around with Kai and Chanyeol, chuckling at a joke the two of them have just made.

 

I clear my throat. “We need to talk.”

 

The cold smirk that I hate so much appears on Sehun’s face. He tilts his face just the slightest towards me.

 

“Yes?” he says in a curt voice.

 

“Can we go outside or something?”

 

“Whatever you have to say, you can say it here.” Krystal, Irene, Victoria, and the rest of the girls at his table are glaring at me like I’m some desperate fangirl who’s begging for Sehun’s attention. I see Baekhyun whisper something into Kyungsoo’s ear, chortling, and the two silently guffaw at me.

 

Why is he being such an ? Anger surges up in my chest. God, how had I deceived myself into thinking that anything had changed between Sehun and I? That he would somehow become nicer to me after last night?

 

It’s just the stupidly confusing things he does when we’re alone that throw me off. Otherwise, I wouldn’t think Sehun was anything more than a spoiled brat.

 

“Are you going to keep staring?” he says in a smarmy voice.

 

I open my mouth, ready to snarkily retort. Unfortunately, I find myself at a loss for words.

 

This is a repeat of the day I went to apologize to him after the Autumn Ball. God, I hate myself for being so weak.

 

Finally, I manage to squeak out a single sentence.

 

“Please don’t play with me, Sehun,” I whisper.

And then I practically run out the cafeteria door without looking back at him or my friends once.

 


A/N: ya this is kinda a short chapter BUT i have triple updated in the past day so like go back & read that hehe