1/2

Stripes

 

  Soyeon walked to the last table to clean, when her eyes spotted some pennies as tips on the table. She smiled and put the pennies in her pocket. The door bell rang, signalling that someone went into the cafe.


  You looked at the time, almost 11pm. Well it was not 11pm yet, right? Besides, you love taking orders and making coffee. You grabbed the cloth and briskwalked to the counter. "Sorry to keep you waiting, may I take your order?" You looked at your customer. He was wearing a thick hoodie with Adidas , white stripes, giving him a dark aura. "A cappuchino please, on the go." You smiled and turned around to make the desired coffee. 


  "That would be 4000won." I tried to find his eyes, but couldn't. He dipped his head low, and passed me the exact change while I passed him the cappuchino. He bowed as I tilted my head. He's kind of weird... Oh, Soyeon. Ghost don't drink cappuchinos! Don't think of it that way, you idiot. I took a deep breath and looked at the time. Its already 11.03. I locked everything and pulled my bag closer to me. If only Min- 

  Soyeon, can you stop thinking about him already? He already migrated to the States. He has a happy life. You should too!!

  I knocked my head while I walked as I- "Omona, sorry  " I looked up to see that I bumped into the striped hoodie guy. What is he doing this late at night? I heard a minimal chuckle. Wait, why does that sound familiar? I shook off my thoughts and start to walk home slowly. 

 

  Seriously, I hate cold nights like this.


  The loud alarm sound woke the sleepy Soyeon up. She only slept for 4 hours, being a person who has insomnia since that incident happened. She got herself to the kitchen and washed up. It was an ordinary day for her, high school in the morning, self-studies in the afternoon and work at the cafe from late afternoon till night. She sighed as she looked her schedules. 

 It's going to be a long day. Soyeon wore her school uniform. She found it a hassle , the fact that she had to wear coat and tie. She wore an additional hooded jacket and scarf because it was really cold and winter was approaching. She grabbed her bag, tied her hair into a classic ponytail and head off to school.

  Dragging her legs, she walked in the building. Rubbing her eyes tiredly, she didn't pay attention to where she was heading. All of a sudden, she bumped into someone and he dropped his books. She clicked her tongue in annoyance. 

  "Sorry! I'm new here can you perhaps show me-" 

 

  The guy stopped talking when he realised Soyeon has already walked away. He sighed and picked up his books. He stood up and looked at the girls that had been squealing ever since they saw him. He raised a brow but approached them. They gave him the directions to his class and left as the bell rang.


  I walked in from the back door since it my seat was at the back of the class. I placed my bag onto the table and took out my pills. I threw it in my mouth and gulped down my water bottle. Just in time the teacher walked in , the class greeted unwillingly and sat. Placing my head on top of my bag, my eyelids turned heavy. I felt drowsy so I closed my eyes.

  "Class, today we have a new student. Jimin 학생, introduce yourself." I heard the teacher spoke but didn't bother to open my eyes. 

  "안녕하세요, 저는 지민입니다! Please take care of me!" A familiar voice spoke.

  "알라서, you may seat beside Soyeon." 

  Hearing my name, my eyes opened. I rolled my eyes when I realised this Jimin guy was the guy I bumped into earlier. Since it was on calculus, I decided to pay attention. I found the topic pretty easy. I want to sleep but the last time I slept in class, the teacher asked a question but didn't want to repeat it for me because I didn't bother paying attention, I ended up in detention. As a result, I skipped self study because I was late for work. 

  Someone tapped me on the shoulder. I ly to see Jimin, passing me a crushed slid of paper. I raised a brow and opened it. 

  HII! 선생님 asked you to tour me around the school. How about during break time? -handsom gai men! (he wrote in english)

 

  I stared at him with a blank face, crushed the paper and throw it back to him. Ignoring whatever that was going to happen next, I faced the board. In the corner of my eyes, I saw him pout but I just shrugged it off.


  As the bell rang, indicating that it was lunch, Soyeon stood up and passed Jimin a map of the school. Soyeon then walked out of the class and ate her lunch outside of the library, knowing that nobody ever goes there . Excluding the nerds and the bookworms of course. So she liked it there. Nobody would be a disturbance, just peace and quiet while she savour the taste of her meal. 

  She opened her bento box and grinned. The ahjumma selling groceries under her apartment block would always prepare food for Soyeon. She rejected it several times but she started accepting it after the ahjumma played the 'it is all part of a friendly neighbourhood' card. She scooped the rice with her spoon and gladly putting it into . Still chewing, she took the moment to observed her surroundings and chocked when she realised Jimin was sitting next to her the whole time staring at her. People may find this cute but in this case , It was creepy.

  "선생님 asked you to tour me." He said, emphasising the 'you'.

  Soyeon rolled her eyes. "I gave you the map didnt' I?" 

  "The wind blew it away! " He replied almost immediately. 

  She scoffed. She packed her bento and stood up. My peace and quiet has been interrupted. She thought disapprovingly. She walked away. She turned around and saw the same guy with the fluffy, black hair copying her exact movements. She huffed in frustration. She walked in the library and went behind the desk. Jimin tried to follow her but she stopped him. 

  She shook her index finger at his face. 

  "Sorry Jin or whoever you are, but students are not allowed to go over this line." she said strictly, pointing to the yellow tape on the floor from the desk to the wall. 

  "First its Jimin," Soyeon rolled her eyes , "and Secondly, if students aren't allowed to cross over, why are you there?" He continued.

  Soyeon smirked. "I'm on duty." She said, picked a random book and sat on the chair.

  She pretended to read the book , hoping he would leave and he did. 

 

 

  At least I'll catch her in class. Jimin sighed and walked away, not wanting to disturb  her anymore.


  The next class was her favourite subject, English. She had to learn the language to read the English books so she is quite fluent in speaking it. She walked in the class and took her seat. She opened a textbook and read a few paragraphs before the teacher walked in. The lesson started and she took down notes but something or to be more specific someone had to stop her. He nudged her sides repeatedly.

  "What?" The spoken word was abit too loud for the both of them to hear.

 

  "I was thinking if we- " "Park Jimin and Kim Soyeon. You are a new student so I'll let it off for today and you, I expect you to pay attention." The teacher interrupted. 


  She was getting irritated of Jimin. The self study didn't get any better.

  She placed all her books in her locker and left school. She was walking to the café when she felt like someone was following her. She turned back but no one was there. 

  "야 Jimin! Stop following me! " She shouted.

  She continued to walk but a hand grabbed her arm. She looked up and saw a drunk 아저씨. She tried to yank his hand off but because he was stronger, it didn't work. She shouted for help while struggling to get out of his grasp . But a person took the wooden board he saw and hit the man from the back. The man collapsed, unconscious.

 

 

  " Jimin! Thank you so much." She hugged the male, her vision blurred a little.


  Jimin was sitting in the café as Soyeon served him some Caramel Macchiato. "You can thank me by becoming my friend." Jimin spoke. 

  Soyeon sighed. "You. Really really want to be friends with me. Don't you?"  Jimin nodded almost immediately. 

 

"알라서, 친구." Soyeon said, cracking a little smile.


*학생: Student

*안녕하셔요, 저는 지민입니다!: Hello, I'm Jimin!

*알라서: Alright

*선생님: Teacher

*야: Hey

*아저씨: Old Man

*친구: Friend