The Bird Room

Gtop Shorts

Hey guys here's an update to keep you happy while I write New Year's Eve's next chapter, hope you enjoy peace and love sorry for any mistakes!


Choi Seunghyun's Perspective 


"Now Mr Choi, I must warn you, this job is not an easy one, and there are many rules to follow while you are working here" Mr Yang, the butler, spoke sternly to me while walking me through the large halls of Kwon mansion.

 "This is a very large old house, Mr Choi, and keeping things in order will not be a simple task." I nodded in agreement, carefully looking around at my surroundings.

The halls were lined with art from so many past generations, past fathers, grandfathers, mothers, but the most magnificent piece was the last painting, a portrait. I stopped in front and stared. It was of a boy, who couldn't be older then me - he had dirty blonde, skin lightly tanned, and beautiful brown eyes. 

"Who is this Mr. Yang?" I asked, slowly turning to look at the butler.

 "Why that is Master Kwon, the son of Lord and Lady Kwon. Now, can we please continue our journey, Mr Choi?". 

I nodded. It seemed the young master Kwon was a sore subject so I didn't push for more information. After touring the main areas of the house Mr. Yang brought me to the room I would be staying in.

 "Now Mr. Choi, as I said before, this house is large and old with quite a history behind it, and there are three main rules you must follow or your time here will be cut short. Understood?"

 "Yes sir, I understand." I replied. Mr Yang smiled

"Good, now here are the rules. One: you do not enter the West wing under any circumstances" he paused and looked at me to check my understanding. I nodded once and he continued. 

"Two: the bird room is off limits to all but myself."

I frowned. "The bird room?" I asked, Yang nodded. 

"It's hard to miss, Mr Choi, it's entrance is large, the door white we passed on the way here". 

I vaguely remembered, but noticed the door was huge. I presumed it couldn't just be a regular bedroom or even a sitting room. It's front was decorated with crystal glass, it was completely white. Quite mysterious, as it was larger then any of the other doors in the house but more beautifully designed then the others. 

"Mr Choi, you understand that that room is strictly off limits" 

I nodded "Yes sir". 

"The third and last rule is if you hear screaming in the night, stay in your room, do not look for the source". Mr Yang looked me in the eyes "I understand this may be a mysteriously strange rule, but you must follow it if you wish to keep this job, this rule is for your own safety and sanity ". 

This rule was indeed odd I must admit. Before taking this job I knew the circumstances of the previous manager of this house. Another odd characteristic was that when ending the house gates the gardeners, maids, and cooks looked at me as if I was about to walk to my doom. 

"I understand sir", I agreed.  Mr Yang gave me a small smile.

 "Then welcome Mr Choi! I hope you have a comfy say while you're here". 

 

For the next couple of weeks there were no issues concerning the bird room or the night-time screaming Mr Yang had told me about. I managed food deliveries and I cleaned the whole mansion, but never entered the west wing. 

But that changed sometime in May, while cleaning the paintings in the great hall, I could hear the sounds of birds singing sweet songs. Listening closer there was also another voice hidden with the bird songs. Turning slowly I followed the sound of the heavenly music. And before I knew it I came face to face with the tall, elaborate white door....the bird room. I should turn around I thought, I should walk away and carry on with my duties. But my curiosity got the best of me and I slowly put my ear to the door. I could now better hear the beautiful voice mixed in with the bird's lovely melodies. Looking down I saw there was a small key hole so leaning down I peaked through.  

The room within was not much different then the door itself, everything was white mixed with some silver lining. And from what I could see there were bird cages hanging and sitting all over the room, on tables, on chairs, on the floor and hanging from the ceiling. All were white. 

Looking closer I could see within each cage was one Zebra finch. I was not surprised since they were white, the perfect bird to go along with the white room. And they were beautiful, with white feathers and orange beaks singing their songs. Taking my attention away from the birds was a large phonograph That was sitting on a table in the corner of the room. The room was beautiful with large white windows, the phonograph placed gracefully in the corner, and the elegant bird cages scattered all about the room. 

While looking through the keyhole I heard a small shuffling and looked to the other corner were a young man sat. He looked about 22, maybe older, but his features were soft his face young and innocent. He had what looked to be smooth pale skin, lightly pink lips, and pale dirty blonde hair. He was breathtaking. I had never seen anyone so beautiful and delicate. I had never felt this way before. I have never wanted someone else in my life but this boy, with his sad eyes and pale skin. I wanted his pink lips on mine. I wanted his body under me. I had never felt this before, the feeling of lust and attraction for another human being. 

What broke through my thought was the sound of that same voice. The voice that brought me here in the first place. His calm beautiful voice pulled me back to reality. I watched as he reached into one of the cages, pulling out one of the white birds letting his rest on his delicate finger. Although beautiful he sang of pain and betrayal with only the little bird to listen. These small creatures were his psychiatrists and they listened unconditionally. But couldn't reply. 

After what felt like hours my knees started to ache. I tried to slowly move them but a fell hitting the door and making a loud booming sound that echoed through the hall. The boy looked up toward the door, slowly he put the bird back in its cage and walked towards the door. I held my breath. When I thought he'd gone I lifted my eye back to the key hole. 

I gasped when another eye popped up on the other side. I jumped back, startled. After some minutes I crept closer to the door looking back through the hole. 

"Hello?" I said unsure of how to approach the boy. 

Reluctantly a coffee brown iris came into my view. Even his eyes were beautiful even when filled with sadness. 

"Who are you?" The boy said looking almost annoyed by my presence. 

"I am the new manager or care taker if you prefer " I said. 

"Why are you doing looking into my bird room?" he asked.  

"I was walking the halls when I heard your beautiful voice" I said looking straight at him. 

He backed up, seeming slightly frightened by my reason. 

"Why were you listening?" he said sounding skeptical. 

"Because you have a beautiful voice" I stated bluntly. 

"What's your name?" he blinked seeming curious. 

"Choi Seunghyun, what's yours?". 

"Kwon Jiyong" he stated seeming very proud of his name. 

"And who gave you this beautiful name Jiyong" I asked. 

"My mother, she named me this because I am her little dragon". 

"I see. Jiyong?". 

"Yes". 

"Can I see your bird room?" this was a long shot. Because I knew asking for entrance to what seemed like a sacred and special place and I was definitely going to be turned down. But I would gain a small bit of information from my rejection. 

Jiyong looked stunned "no, no one is aloud in here but me and mother!" and with that he was gone. 


During the week I didn't see Jiyong at all. I later learned by talking to the maids that the west wing was were young master Kwon resided during the day. I also learned that the bird room was his connection to his mother who I assumed had left beyond the mortal world some time ago. 

It was late as I walked around the dark halls on a wet Sunday in May. After the talk I had with Jiyong and his rejection of my request, I initially avoided the bird room altogether. Today was the day Mr Yang had told me about, today was different I could feel it in my bones. The whole house was in a dark and melancholy state. All the servants and even Mr Yang seemed quite, no smiles, no greetings as I walked the halls nothing. Although I didn't know what events took place on May the 20th, I respected Mr Yang and avoided the bird room and of course the west wing and did not ask any questions about this day. 

As the day wore on all the events of my day blurred together until it was night and I was lying in my bed trying to fall asleep. I didn't know why but something was keeping me awake. I eventually fell asleep around 11:00pm as my eyes could no longer stay open. 

But at  2:00am it started. I bolted up in my bed startled and scared, there was the most blood chilling scream coming from somewhere in the manner. And it didn't stop. Now 2:10 and the scream turned into cries of pain and sorrow. It chilled my blood making it run cold, as shivers ran down my spine. This when on until 3:00 and then, it stopped. Nothing.The house went silent. 

Over the next 2 years I stayed with Kwon manner still working as the care taker, and every year on May 20th it happened again and again. Now being 24 I took up more duties in the household since Mr. Yang was getting on in years. Still never entering the west wing or the bird room until, one night. 

I had had a day off on this May 20th 2016. Tonight was the night I would fix this horrible curse. I slept during the day going to sleep at 1:00 so I would be awake at night. So sitting in my bed I waited and waited, and waited until it would turn 2:00. And just like every year as the clock rang  2:00 it started. Echoing through the house the blood curling scream ripped open my chest again. I jumped up out of bed running out my room down the halls till I came to the white door. Taking in a deep breath I pushed on the metal handle opening the door with a creek, screams getting louder and louder the closer I got. 

Cautiously I walked into the room, the birds moving a little before calming down again. The room was beautiful, high ceiling covered in little lights with hanging vines with white flowers, large stain glass windows that reached the roof, and the birds. Each bird had its own cage, and each cage its own design of intricate wiring. The screaming was now painful crying, so I moved on and walked to the end of the room were another large white door sat. I assumed it lead to Jiying's bedroom or another part of the large room. Collecting my confidence I turned the knob before pushing the door open, and what I saw was worse then I expected. 

There was Jiyong, curled on his bed that lie in the middle of the room his knees drawn to his chest, clothes ripped like they had been torn, blonde hair was now as white was the birds feathers. His eyes were blood shot and he was shaking all over. Never in my life had I seen someone so wrecked with pain. His cries strangled in this throat as they tried desperately to free themselves from his dry throat. He had yet to see me, so I ever so slowly started walking toward him. 

"Jiyong" I called. His head snapped up eye wrecked, fear buried deep within them. "Jiyong it's Seunghyun do you remember me" I asked moving closer to the bed. As I got closer he backed up cries building again clutching his legs tighter as broken screams broke out of his throat. 


"Jiyong" I said cautiously as I moved onto the bed kneeling on the edge. 

"It's not my fault, I....I..." he screamed again. 

Not knowing how to react I moved closer, I wanted to comfort him make the screaming stop. I wanted to make his pain stop, I wanted to see him smile at me the way he smiled at his birds, I wanted to destroy that sadness hidden within his eyes. 

"No get away from me!" He yelled eyes afraid and scared. "I...I'm horrible" he cried "I should just die! I should have died not her!" he yelled putting his head down and holding his legs tighter to his chest. 

I just stood still, not knowing how react to these words. Something horrible must have happened for this poor innocent soul to be so broken. Moving closer a was soon in front of him. Then out of no were he lunged forward tackling me to the bed, arms wrapped tight around my neck. 

"It's not my fault....I didn't kill them" he sobbed into my neck. 

What could I do, I wrapped my arms around it fragile body and held him to my chest tight. Rolling over so he could snuggle further into me.

"I believe you, it's not your fault, you did everything you could to save then, and they have already forgiven you" I whispered into his hair. What had happened to his parents how did they die, why did Jiyong think it was his fault I didn't know the answers but I comforted him no the less. Slowly Jiyong's cries faded "I loved them" he whispered before he drifted off to sleep still clinging to me as I following him to dream land.

And that's how Mr Yang found us the next morning. Wrapped up together, Jiyong's legs intertwined with mine and his arms wrapped around my waist. My arms creating a protective cage around him. 

"Mr Choi" Mr Yang whispered. 

"Mr Choi!" a little louder. 

I slowly came awake looking around, the first thing a saw was Jiyong's beautiful angelic face,  then looking around more Mr Yang's face came into view. Mr Yang waved his hand telling me to follow him. So I carefully tried to unwrap Jiyong's arms from my torso but hearing small whimper from the smaller man I stopped. I looked back to Mr Yang shaking my head. 

"I can't get him off" I whispered. He nodded. I swear I saw a small light of happiness flashed across his face for a second.

"Do you know what time he stopped?" Mr Yang asked almost bursting with excitement. 

I shook my head I knew he was talking about the screaming, "4:00am probably, like every night why would that matter? And why are you not surprised that I'm here?" I was extremely confused. Mr Yang gave me a wide smiled , "he stopped at 2:30" he stated like it was something magnificent. When I stilled looked confused he shook his head smile growing wider. 

"That's almost 2 hours before he normally stops. Mr Choi I know it might seem big to you but this has been going on 11 years, and you broke the cycle" he almost yelled, "and I'm not surprised that you're here I knew you'd be the one to break curse so to speak, I'm just surprised it took you this long to go to him" I'm guessing the face I made gave away all the thoughts running through my head because the old butler smiled and said "he will tell you in time what has happened, but for now you must be content with his trust, because that is a gift in itself Mr Choi" with one last smile he walked out closing the door behind him. 

After he left I lied back down wrapping my arms tighter around Jiyong. He immediately signed hugging back and snuggled into my chest. He would tell me eventually and I would have to be patient and wait even if it took the rest of my life, because I was not leaving him. 

 


3 years later


"How are you Mr Yang? are all the preparations in order" I asked walking into the large dinning hall that was filled with servants decorating for the big day. The butler turned and smiled at me.

"Everything is going amazingly well Mr Choi be are right on schedule" he replied. 

"Mr Yang I told you to call me Seunghyun" I laughed. 

"O yeah sorry I'm not used to calling my superiors by their names, but I'll get used to it you are marrying our Jiyong today." 

I nodded. It was true, today I would be marrying my beautiful angel Jiyong. Ever since that night we had been inseparable. It took time but with me by his side he came out from his room and would follow me around as I took care of the house. And when I finally did purpose after a year he was ecstatic I had never seen him smile so much. He wore that smile for the whole day and for the whole year, his smiled never faded. 

"Now where is Jiyong?" Mr Yang asked. 

"He's insisted that we don't see each other before the wedding, superstitions and all that" I said  smiling and remembering when he purposes the idea, he was so cute. He had come up to me sliding into my lap and asking if I would ok, like I would ever say no to anything he wanted. Our puppy Gaho was a perfect example of that how I could never say no to him.

Soon this hour was approaching 2:30am. We had decided to hold our wedding at night which had always had been a special for me and Jiyong and our first meeting. We had set up the bird room like a sort of chapel, it was beautiful all whites and large windows and bird cages hung from the ceiling. I waited at the alter, dresses in my black tuxedos white hair down landing just above my eyebrows. 

The music started playing and the door that had stood between Jiyong and I the first time opened to my beautiful fiancé. Jiyong was wearing a white v-neck with tassels of feathers coming down off the shoulders. His hair, white and shaved on the sides and fluffed at the top. Around his head and ears were white feathers, he looked like a angel. His makeup was light on his cheeks but his eyes were lined with long wings. He smiled hugging Mr Yang and joining me up by the podium. 

"You look beautiful" I said staring into his eyes. 

He smiled wide "so do you"

The pastor came up and stood on the podium clearing his throat before starting. 

"Dearly beloved we are gathered here today to honor this union between Choi Seunghyun and Kwon Jiyong, the couple have written their own vows which they will recite now." 

I turned back, taking his hands in mine, "Jiyong ever since I came to work here I had a feeling that my life was going to change, and it did, by meeting you I truly know what love is. And I hope that our future together is full of love and laughter, I'm so happy I peaked through that key hole" I said placing a white gold diamond ring onto his finger. 

Jiyong smiled tears already starting to fall, "Seunghyun I want to thank you for peaking through that key hole, because if you hadn't been your nosey curious self I would not be standing here with you" a tear fell down his cheek and I reached out to wipe it away I never wanted to see him cry again. "And not just my love but the man that believed me when no one did and healed my wounds, if you'll take me I want to spend the rest of my life repaying you for the love you have given me" he finish slipping on my own white gold ruby ring onto my finger. 

"With the power invested in me under the sun moon and stars I now pronounce your souls as one, you may now kiss " 

We looked at each other words flowing back and fourth till I couldn't take it anymore. I dived forward smashing our lips together, I cupped his cheeks with my hands signing in content. He was mine. 

The party went off with our a hitch everyone was having fun dancing drinking. At around 5:00am everyone started to slowly exist out to cabs or to the rooms we set up for them. Once mostly everyone had gone I grabbed my husbands hand a dragged down the hall. The bird room had been cleaned out chairs gone it was just the open floor. 

"My I have this dance?" I asked bowing low. 

Jiyong giggled, "you may" he said curtsying back. 

I ran over to the old phonograph that sat on the glass table and cranked it up. Running back to Jiyong I grabbed his hand with my left and his hip with my right. As the music filtered through the room we moved gracefully to the music, the same music that had brought me here now gave us both happiness and excitement for the life ahead of us. 

Our first night together as married people was perfect. Our souls became one both in mind and in body, we were in perfect sync. After we collapse beside one another panting. Jiyong rolled over cuddling right next to me. 

"I love you" he whispered already drifting off to sleep. 

"I love you to my darling" I whispered placing one last kiss on his lips before I pulled him closer to me. And we fell asleep wrapped together, him clinging to me and I to him. His pain was my pain and mine was his, his love was mine to take and mine was his to keep, and I would never let him go, I would keep him safe for the rest of my life. 


Fin