Chapter 4

Coffee Love

They arrived quite early at the shop the day after. Mark didn’t want to make Jinyoung wait – or at least that’s what he said to Emily. But she knew he only wanted to see the younger one.

Mark was excited and kind of scared at the same time. He didn’t know if Jinyoung and Emily would get along, but he wanted to believe they would. He didn’t know what he would do if it wasn’t the case.

The shop was nearly empty, and Jinyoung was talking to a girl as he made her her coffee. Mark’s heart tightened in his chest, but he ignored it. They sat quietly beside the girl, and Jinyoung’s eyes shone with happiness as he greeted the couple.

 

“- Hey, I’m Emily. You must be Jinyoung ?

  - Yes, it’s me. It’s nice to meet you !

  - The pleasure is shared, she said, as Mark watched them with a quiet smile on his lips. Mark told me a lot about you.

  - Oh really ? I hope he hasn’t said anything wrong.

  - Absolutely not. He can’t shut up once he starts talking about you, Emily answered with a certain jealousy in her voice, glancing over her boyfriend whose eyes were glued on Jinyoung. She sighed. Jinyoung could feel the discomfort that was going on between these two, and changed the subject.

  - So, you’re in Mark’s class ?

 

They talked about Emily for about ten minutes, but Mark and Jinyoung talked about something only them could understand.

Emily was left alone, and it went like this for about one hour, before she really couldn’t handle it anymore.

 

“- Mark ? Can I talk to you ?

  - Yeah, of course. Jin’ ! I’ll be right back.”

 

Jinyoung nodded, and returned to his work.

The couple went outside, and Emily was smiling.

 

“- What do you want to say ?

  - I want to break up.”

 

Mark blinked, and his mind got blank.

 

“- Why ? Did I do something wrong ?

  - Mark, stop denying it ! I’ve seen the way you look at Jinyoung.

  - What does that mean ? Jin’ just –

  - Reminds you of Jackson ? I know this. But he means more to you.”

 

These words kept repeating in Mark’s mind, he didn’t know what she meant by that.

 

“- It’s better for us to break up. We wouldn’t have last forever anyway, we don’t even love each other.

  - Emily, I’m sorry…

  - Don’t. Thank you for everything. We’ll see each other in class ! Bye Mark. Good luck.”

 

She walked away, and Mark could see she was crying. She was the only one who actually believed in their story. They say there is always one person in a couple that loves the other one more, and she just hoped it wasn’t her.

He was lost, but all he wanted to do was go in the shop and be with Jinyoung.
What was wrong with him ?

He returned after a few minutes, alone, which surprised Jinyoung.

 

“- She broke up with me.

  - Oh my god, is it my fault ? Did I say something wrong ? gasped the younger one, suddenly searching in his mind what he could have done.

  - No don’t worry, it’s only my fault.

  - Are you okay ?

  - Yes, sighed Mark with a smile after a few seconds. He was fine, but his heart was empty. It’s not like he was in love with her anyway, right ?

  - So, if you’re fine… You won’t mind if I bring you somewhere tonight, uh ?

 

___________________________________________________________________________

 

Mark spent his afternoon lying on his bed. He sent plenty of texts to Emily but she never answered, and Mark could only understand her. He was feeling guilty, so guilty, and he didn’t know what to do to make her forgive him.

One hour before going out, he changed his clothes after a quick shower and looked at his reflection in the mirror. Where was the happy child he has always been before ?

Jackson didn’t only leave him alone, he also took his smile with him.

Mark shook his head, he refused to think about this. He should be happy, but he wasn’t. Not when the place beside him was filled with his shadow.

He met Jinyoung at the shop, as the younger one invited him a few hours earlier. Jinyoung was shining in the night’s dark light, and Mark smiled before even reaching him.

They ate at Jinyoung’s favourite restaurant and Mark’s mind was free. Finally. He wasn’t thinking of anything except of the boy in front of him.

After dinner, Mark brought Jinyoung to one of his favourite place. Lying down on the hill, all he could see was the stars shining far above him.

Jinyoung was amazed. He didn’t know this place, and he regretted it. It was so beautiful, everything was so peaceful and calm. The trees around them were agitating their leaves in a wonderful song, and from where he was, he could see the city’s light contrasting with the peacefulness they were in. He lied down beside Mark, and closed his eyes. Everything was perfect. The feeling of the grass, the way the wind was blowing his hair. Mark sighed in content, as Jinyoung sat up, glancing at him.

 

“- It’s perfect, murmured Mark.

  - I know…

 

But, as Mark was talking about the moment, Jinyoung was only looking at Mark’s beautiful face…

 

After a few hours, Jinyoung managed to convince Mark to let him sleep over. He didn’t want to take care of his family this night, not when he was with him. He wanted a little bit of liberty, even if it was for day.

They were walking sides by sides, talking about random things, when a question Mark asked made Jinyoung stop.

 

“- Why aren’t you studying ? You’re younger than me, you should be at school.

  - I… It’s complicated.

  - I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have asked, apologized Mark quickly as he saw Jinyoung’s eyes filled with ghosts of his past.

  - No it’s okay. I don’t really hide it, but I don’t want everyone to know. My… dad died of pneumonia just after my brother was born.

  - Oh I’m –

  - Don’t say you’re sorry, please, it makes it everything worse. Being sorry for the loss of someone you don’t even know is stupid and it’s not like it can bring him back.”

 

Mark was surprised by Jinyoung’s sudden abruptness, but he could only understand him. He didn’t know what he would have done if his father died.

 

“- My mom can’t take care of us, if that’s what you’re thinking about. She’s alcoholic, he continued with a little laugh. That’s why I asked you to let me sleep over. I don’t want to see her today.

 

Mark nodded, and he knew he had to change the subject quickly before it became awkward between them.

They arrived at Mark’s house, which was empty because both of his parents were away for work and his sister was sleeping at a friend’s. He showed his house to Jinyoung, and they stopped in the living room, turning the TV on and sitting on the couch.

As usual, Mark’s breathing became loud and shaking, but for once, he didn’t have Emily by his side.

And Jinyoung wasn’t used of Mark’s attacks.

 

“- Mark ? Are you okay ?

 

The older one wanted to call Emily, her voice always reassured him. But he couldn’t, and for the first time this day, he felt alone.

 

“- Yeah I am. Don’t worry. I’m just having a headache.”

 

Taking an aspirine, he went straight to his bedroom where he lied on his bed, trying to calm down.

Jinyoung followed him and lied next to him, squeezing him in his arms until the older one went calm and fell asleep.

 

 “- I know there’s something you’re hiding from me Mark… Jinyoung murmured quietly. It’s okay, I’ll wait for you.”

 

He had a little smile on his lips, but in fact his eyes were full of tears when he looked at the older’s peaceful face.

He didn’t want Mark to get hurt. He then promised himself that he would never leave Mark, not when he knew how much it hurts to be left alone.

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

DOUBLE UPDATE FOR TODAY YAS !!! Hahaha I'm not that proud of this but I like where my story is going. I still haven't decided if the ending will be happy or not, but only time will tell ;) As you may know I'm a big fan of angst but also of fluff... As my previous fanfic was an angst, maybe this one will be more on the fluffy side. I still don't know hehe.

Thank you so much for the support *cries* I really never thought I would have so many people following my stories. I LOVE YOU ALL !!!!!! ♥