The Interview

Grant Me My Wish Genie

Soo Hyuk accepted the coins from the tall lady in front of him and finally saw her face and was momentarily taken aback because of the resemblance he knew back in high school. Noona? Is that you? But he wasn’t 100% sure.

 

“Uh... Well, it’s just a small matter.” Soo Hyuk explained and was practically checking her out blatantly to confirm his affirmation if this was the noona he knew.

 

Jin Yee was a bit taken aback being checked out by an extremely handsome man with sharp features in stylish office wear and was suddenly embarrassed. Stammering a little, she smiled and said bashfully. “Uh... erm, er... Well, I.. I’m glad to hear that. I hope I’d picked up everything.”

 

Soo Hyuk wondered if it was really her? After all, the last they had met was 10 years ago when he was 15 and she was 17. To be honest, he was still quite mad at her for not saying goodbye properly. He continued to look at her as he was recalling those times without realising it looked strange to her.

 

On seeing no reply from him, Jin Yee said politely, “Is everything ok? If so, I’m returning back to my seat now, alright?”

 

Regaining composure, Soo Hyuk said, “Oh! Yes! Everything’s ok. Thank you very much.”

 

Jin Yee nodded. “Ok.” She bowed and went back to her seat without knowing Soo Hyuk’s eyes were following her. Although she did find it strange but she figured it was a good thing to be looked at by a handsome man like that guy. She even laughed at that silly thought of hers.

 

Soo Hyuk went ahead and ordered his coffee. While waiting for his order, he was also stealing glances at her, full of curiosity about this person.

 

Later, when Soo Hyuk brought his drink back to his seat, he realised he couldn’t pay attention to what his 3 female colleagues were talking about. Instead, what he was more interested in was observing that lady who resembled the noona from high school.

 

After discreetly observing her for some time, Soo Hyuk was quite positive that she was the same noona who stood up for him when he was still a scrawny short guy in high school who was being picked up on those senior who bullied him often after school ended. It was this neighbourhood noona who saw what happened and bravely told the seniors off! She managed help him get back his money, which was extorted from him by those seniors.

 

All of a sudden, Soo Hyuk stood up from his seat, earning shocked looks from his colleagues. He politely told them, “Excuse me for a while.” He then walked over slowly but assertively beside Jin Yee’s table. She was actually on the phone arranging for an interview.

 

“Yes, yes, yes. No problem. I will see you then. Thank you very much, Sir. Thank you.” Jin Yee was bowing as she was on the phone. After hanging up, she was surprised to see Soo Hyuk standing beside her.

 

Soo Hyuk cleared his throat and said, “Excuse me.”

 

“Yes?” Jin Yee raised her eyebrows curiously, wondering what was it that he wanted to ask. But before the guy could speak, she thought it was the coins. “AH! The coins, I returned them all to you. I didn’t take any of it, I swear!” She stood up and lifted her palms in the air animatedly.

 

Soo Hyuk was quite amused and laughed at her antics. He explained, “No, it’s not about the coins.”

 

“Oh, ok.” Jin Yee let her arms dropped to her side. “Then what is it?”

 

Soo Hyuk continued with his pleasant smile at this tall lady in front of him, “You know, well, actually, I just wanted to check with you if you-”

 

But before Soo Hyuk could finish what he wanted to say, his colleagues, Ms Yang called out, “Team jang-nim, we have to go now!”

 

Soo Hyuk turned to look at his colleagues and said, “Erm, ok. Coming.”

 

Jin Yee was still confused and commented, “I guess you gotta go, huh?”

 

But Soo Hyuk remain composed and said, “It’s ok. I guess hopefully we will be able to meet again.” He gave her a slight bow and walked off.

 

Jin Yee was puzzled & bewildered that this good looking guy kinda behaved that they knew each other. She even tried to recall again if she has met this person before, “Nah... maybe he’s just a flirt.” She sat down and continued with her work.

 

Soo Hyuk walked out the cafe with his 3 female colleagues. Without Jin Yee knowing, he walked passed the glass panel at where she sat and looked at her again.

 

-

 

It was interview day at Comfo Publishing company for Jin Yee. Her interview was scheduled at 2.00pm in the afternoon.

 

Before arriving, In Guk called Jin Yee up and said to her, “Hey, I won’t be joining the interview cos I have another meeting outside now. But I can meet you after your interview. All the best of luck to you!”

 

Jin Yee was actually quite nervous because prior to this, she has already been to 4 other interviews but wasn’t too hopeful. She hoped she’d be able to impress the GM of Comfo.

 

She stepped into the 6-storey building of Comfo Publishing. She approached the receptionist and informed about her coming for an interview. She was directed to the interview room at Level 6. There were many books all around the conference room. Outside the conference was also a mini library with lots of publication. She took one thick book on Architecture and started flipping through.

 

It wasn’t long before a middle-age man entered the room. He introduced himself as the General Manager (GM), Mr Kang of the company.

 

“Hello, Miss Park! Nice to see you.” GM Kang said.

 

Jin Yee stood up politely and shook GM Kang’s hand and said, “It is my pleasure to be here today and meeting you.” He seemed like a very friendly and open-minded elderly, Jin Yee thought.

 

“Don’t keep standing. Please take a seat.” GM Kang said, “I heard so much about you from Manager Seo.”

 

Jin Yee sheepishly replied, “I hope those are good & positive things you hear about me from him.”

 

GM Kang explained, “Don’t worry. I understand you’re Manager Seo’s junior from university, am I right?”

 

Jin Yee answered, “Yes. I graduated in Business IT, with focus in Corporate communications.”

 

GM Kang nodded, “I see. I see. I can tell you communicate very well. I am actually very impressed by overseas graduates. I think you guys are much more independent and has a wider international exposure than local graduates. That is a very valuable skill & experience because we’re an MNC....”

 

The both of them went on to chat about some educational background, work experiences. GM Kang really like Jin Yee’s positive attitude and a lot of her ideas are very refreshing. She definitely stood out from the rest of the applicants and GM Kang was ready to make the job offer.

 

“So, when do you think you can start?” GM Kang asked.

 

Jin Yee was honestly taken aback since this is the first time the interviewer had a positive reaction. “What? Really? Are you hiring me?”

 

GM Kang replied truthfully, “Based on our conversation and your experiences in paper, I think I’m positive to give you a try. You seem quite a nice fit for the department and plus the fact that you & Manager Seo are old time school mates. That is definitely your advantage.”

 

Jin Yee was elated and explained, “My parents are not here so I’m putting up at an old friend’s place. I would have to settle a permanent lodging at the moment. Next week would be good.”

 

GM Kang said, “Alright, we’ll see you next week then! Welcome to Comfo Publishing!”

 

With that, they shook hands and exit the conference room at Level 6. Just so happen In Guk was outside from his meeting. He was curious to find out how the interview went.

 

In Guk greeted GM Kang and asked, “How did the interview turn out?”

 

GM Kang said, “Well, I’m quite impressed by this young lady’s passion & vibe. Jin Yee will start work next week! Thank you Manager Seo for the recommendation.”

 

Jin Yee thanked GM Kang once again, “Thank you for your appreciation. I will definitely work hard to serve the company!”

 

GM Kang smiled at the both of them before walking back to his office.

 

In Guk was excited and told Jin Yee, “Ya~ Well done! I knew my hoobae will do well!”

 

Jin Yee was very grateful toward In Guk and exclaimed, “If it wasn’t for your recommendation, I wouldn’t think your GM would even be interested to meet me.”

 

In Guk smirked and said, “Well, right from the start, I thought you had a pretty good chance because my boss is a little biased towards yoo hak saeng (overseas graduates) like you and me”

 

“Oh, right right right.” Jin Yee nodded and told In Guk about what GM Kang commented, “He mentioned about this a few times during the interview.”

 

“Well, I think HR will be contacting you soon and process all the necessary documents.” In Guk looked at his watch and said, “I still have some time left and I can briefly show you around the building. Come on.”

 

-

 

Author’s Note: (31/5/3016) It’s Lee Soo Hyuk’s birthday and it spurred me to continue this fanfic. But in the chapter, we see that Soo Hyuk was trying to confirm if Jin Yee was the noona he knew back then. It was a short encounter but we all know they WILL meet again. Also, after the interview, Jin Yee will soon to be entering the same workplace as our 2 male leads and there will be more interaction and perhaps sparks? Hope fans of Lee Soo Hyuk & Seo In Guk would continue to like and support this little humble fic of mine :)