Chapter 3

Team V

Today was the day of auditions.

Sheena oddly dropped her usual morning routine to go get ready. She found it odd how excited she was getting over a little email. She packed breath mints into her purse and took a good look at herself.

Ilcheon had told her not to wear anything flashy or eye catching, which was hard since Sheena had only the edgiest outfits. She tried her best to look as simple and comfortable as she could and smiled to herself.

"Sheena, what the hell?" Ilcheon asks in disbelief once she sees her.

Sheena looks at Ilcheon and smirks, "Jesus Christ, oppa. This is the simplest outfit I could find in my closet, okay? Sheesh, take a chill pill."

Ilcheon clenches his jaw. He was getting ready to yell at Sheena when a pair of hands encircled one of his.

"Cheonnie-oppa, please calm down. People are staring." Menma says, trying to calm him down. Ilcheon looks at Menma and breathes deeply. Iconic for his outbursts and persona, many people stared at them in wonder.

"Oppa, they're just clothes. They won't care! Plus, if we make this, then we could be stars! We could make even more people happy!" Sheena explains. Ilcheon sighs and clutches the bridge of his nose in frustration. "Oppa, don't be mad. Please?"

"Hyung, it's okay. We just won't go." Jaerin says, patting Ilcheon's back.

"We can't not go, Jaerin-oppa. We were the ones who applied. It'd be rude if we pass this up." Menma retorts.

Sheena looks at her with a bright smile, "See! Our little dongsaeng wants to do this! Would you really take it away from her?" she says squishing Menma's face with her hand.

"Don't use me to get what you want, eonnie." Menma says, pushing Sheena's hand away from her face. "I'm just saying that it's rude if we do that."

"Guys, this could be a once in a lifetime chance! Why are you throwing it away just because I'm dressed a little provocatively?!"

"Because it's never that easy like how everything is is for you, Sheena! Why can't you get that through your head?" Ilcheon replies. Jaerin wasn't sure where exactly fit in this situation.

Ilcheon had a point since trainees didn't exactly live an extravagant life. You'd have to stand out or better not have tried at all. If they can't see potential of an idol in you then you'll stay a trainee until you get old or give up. Menma was too young to understand that Ilcheon is only looking out for them since they were still in high school.

On the other hand, Sheena had a compelling argument. Not often were you called to audition and it couldn't hurt to try for it. If they don't get it in, move on and pursue better things. They should be too busy with other things other than have time to worry.

Jaerin inhales, "I'll go with noona."

Sheena and Ilcheon looks at him with surprised eyes, "You will?" both of them chorused.

Jaerin nods and looks at Ilcheon, "I mean, you're worried that she'll get harassed, but you won't go. Menma's too young to young to protect Sheena, so I will."

Sheena hugs the living daylights out of Jaerin while muttering "thank you"s. Jaerin laughs and pats his noona's back. Ilcheon sighs and buries his face in his hands.

"Fine."

"Fine, what?" Jaerin asks.

"Fine, I'll take your word for it."

Sheena squeals in delight with Ilcheon's reaction, "Oh my god! Yes! Yes! Yes!"

Menma pouts, "Yah! I can protect myself! And if all of you are going, I am too!"

The four of them laugh and go to the park to kill time before the afternoon. It was the group's habit to make decisions as a whole but argue until the last chance they get. Ilcheon had to add the logic into the conversation otherwise it might swing favor of impulse. Jaerin occasionally helps but it was too hard to persuade the two girls when they're determined.

Once they got close to the building for the audition, Menma couldn't resist not asking to go to the building beside it. It was a patisserie that looked like Barbie decorated it. It was pink all over and had cute cupcakes painted on the walls.

Ilcheon can feel Jaerin's desire to go as far away from it, and Ilcheon was powerless to help him.

Menma's eyes sparkled with delight at what they saw, "I think I just found my new favourite place in the world."

They continue on and go inside of the small building. There were a few people inside but one stood out to the four. She was wearing a grey pantsuit and had her hair in a low side ponytail.

The boys bolted to a secluded seat and Sheena only shook her head. She helped Menma get in line and looked up at the menu above her, right behind the woman.

Turning around with a latte in her hand, she gasped lightly at the two girls.

"Oh, are you... Wait, you're not Kim Sheena?" Sheena smiled at her gently and was glad she was recognized. It always felt like a bubbly feeling on the inside. The woman extended her hand and introduced herself as Min Hyesol.

"Pleasant to meet you." she bowed in respect after shaking her hand. Menma passed her and begun ordering for them but Sheena couldn't be rude enough to abruptly end a conversation.

Menma bought some to go snacks and some coffee for the gang to enjoy while they walk. Ilcheon loved traditional blends but wasn't afraid of going in different blends. Jaerin, on the other hand, lines his preference to moderate to questionable sweetness. Menma has an inclining closer to Ilcheon's but not too much. She also preferred bitter coffee too like Sheena did, but not much as an all rounder like Sheena.

As if you couldn't tell, coffee drove the friendship around when they were in a cafe.

"Are you guys ready?" Sheena comes back from her little chat. Jaerin looks over her shoulder to see the woman leave the patisserie and wanted to ask Sheena. Unfortunately, they needed to go if they were going to be able to get in line for auditions.

The line wasn't bad per say, it was just enough to make you lose basic patience. Heck, the group finished their snacks before they even got to enter the building. The place didn't likely look like it belonged to SM, but it was one of many.

A woman greeted on the front desk on it was their turn. Ilcheon decided to go first and bowed to the woman.

"Annyeonghaseyo, please fill up this form." He was handed a white sheet of paper requiring basic information and the confirmation from their representatives. Once filling it up, he was given a number and placed it on his shirt and sat back down with the other three following.

"This is it." Menma hyped the group when she finally got her number. Try as he might, Ilcheon couldn't hide his nervousness.

The room he was led into was silently deafening. There were 30 people in total and only Jaerin remained beside him. It was nothing past a plain white room with wood tile flooring, a LED screen and a single door at the other end.

Electronic devices and chatting weren't allowed so it was pretty awkward just watching a live feed of the auditions.

Jaerin was used to this atmosphere and thought of where Menma and Sheena ended up. He felt intimidated by the level of maturity of those around him. It was a mix of boys and girls, all eager to get it over with.

Will they be able to stand out in front of these possible talents?

Both of them should be adequately equipped, being forewarned to prepare backup songs as to not risk repetition. Unless they wanted a bad comparison, Ilcheon forewarned him otherwise.

Ilcheon mouthed words of encouragement to Jaerin and fistpumped. The first round had begun soon and it was time for the waiting game.

All the other auditionees watched as singers, dancers and actors tried to outstage the last as they performed for less than a minute, some even less than that.

"Hello, I am Kim Sheena and would like to apply to be a singer."Sheena was one of them, awkwardly stopping in between and she followed begrudgingly.

Menma danced with a group of people and performed longer than should have before stopped to give way for the second half of the singers.

"Hi, I'm Do Jaerin and would like to apply as a singer. Thank you."Jaerin managed to get out his signature belt before being stopped by the judges simultaneously.

"Hi, I'm Jeong Il Cheon. I will apply to be a singer. Thank you."He followed up well and lasted the whole minute.

Their first round auditions went well, and so did the next round. Ilcheon didn't want to get ahead of himself since the judges appeared ruthless at the last round. Instead of asking them of how far they can go for the role, they asked him on how well he can perform as a dancer and actor.


It varied amongst the auditionees too. Not many were left to get called back but it was an honor to be.

Upon their meticulous judges were the names of SM's next trainees. It was a long deliberation before they were called back together, 15 teenagers who made it to the final round.

Not all of them went home with a smile.