Chapter 1

Team V

High above Seoul was the private board room of SM Entertainment. Only selected people are allowed to be inside or participate in meetings held inside.

Min Hye Sol was one of those lucky ones. She is a budding talent manager that caught Lee Soo Man's attention late last year. Ever since, she's eager to impress not only him, but also herself.

She was determined to gain their favor on her latest discovery, something that was unprecedented.

Walking to the board room was nerve racking. Assistants can be seen working their shifts, busy on their computers. There was the wall of achievements as well, displaying notable records of various artists through the decades.

Not to mention that, softly, she can hear Boa serenading the office with her beautiful voice. This was but one of the buildings SM owned and not much of their greatest hits are played here. Reason being that the office would be too noisy if done so.

Things couldn't be tenser or serious than what these big names in the company created. To her left were benefactors and to her right were executives, all ready to hear why the meeting was called.

Closest to her were personal trainers of the company of voice and choreography who were amazed to be included in the meeting with these businessmen in formal suits.

Across her were the president and CEO of SM Entertainment, Lee Sooman and, of course, Kim Young Min.


Her eyes never left the CEO's expectant gaze and clung to the folders in her hands with a confident smile.

The board wasn't exactly easy to please nor was they easily brought together, yet she somehow did when she dropped the bombshell late last week.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for lending me your precious time." With one swift motion, she picked up a remote and dimmed the lights for her presentation.

She sat down and allowed a young boy, no older than 16 to start.

"Good evening! It's a little late when I'm filming this and I practically find it hard to concentrate from the smell of the food delivery in the other room." he began. Whispers circled around the room, some intrigued and some confused as to where this was going.

Certainly, this boy was too young to be in this meaning or what he was talking about had any relevance. Hyesol just kept her cool and allowed the young man to continue.

"I come down to these cheeky foxes, ordering food without me." Several new faces appeared as he shifted the camera. In total there were four teenagers in the video.

"Set the camera in front of us, so it can be a mukbang!" Another boy suggested who appeared to be older and stockier.

"Except that he's filming, not broadcasting." quipped the girl sitting beside the older boy. She seemed cool and collected but with a hint of tease in her voice.

The teenagers showcase their rag tag orders around a small table in, what seemed like, an apartment. A four glass coaster cuts between two bowls of jjajngmyeon, fritters, pickled radish with a side of kimchi.

The trainers were the only ones chuckling and enjoying the light humor, while the businessmen were not having it. Kim Youngmin was one of the latter and was having difficulty concentrating or even figuring out what their talent manager was trying to convey.

"Believe it or not, Rinnie was a hero today!" the older boy added after swallowing a spoonful. The nickname earned a small glare from the younger boy.

"No way. Oppa couldn't even save his thumb from a Chinese finger trap." The younger girl poked Jae's cheeks with her chopsticks.

"Oh, but the ice cream stains on his shirt from the little girl tells otherwise, right Rinnie?"

The boy from earlier faced the camera again, trying to wipe bean paste off his lips and his cheek.

"Her parents saw her on my shoulders a few minutes after I bought her ice cream. I guess, when she saw them, she got too excited and decided to drop it on my head," all of them chuckle at what he said, "Shout out to that little girl, though, if she ever sees this. Oppa loves you!" he, then, proceeds to wink at the camera.

Kim Youngmin slammed his hands on the table and drew the board's attention. Hyesol calmly paused her presentation and stared expectantly.

"Min Hyesol. What is the meaning of this? What relevance do these teenagers have to your important agenda?"

"Why it's vlog sir, short for "Video Log", in case you have not heard. It's all the trend these days."

She shrugged his tone off and calmly placed four folders on the table. The screen was conveniently paused where all four teenagers were present with their picture on each folder.

"Members of the board, may I present the result of my recently concluded study."

She pointed her laser pointer at the picture of the boy who started out her presentation and continued counter clockwise.

"Do Jae Rin. 18. 11th grade, Baekseok High."

"Kang Men Ma. 16. 10th grade, Baekseok High."

"Jeong Il Cheon. 20. Student at Seoul School of Performing Arts Major in Music."

"Kim Shi Na. 18. Graduated Student of Hana High."

"And I suppose these teenagers are the ones in the vee-log?" Instead of answering Youngmin, she only turned to the screen and cued the next video.

"One, two, three..." Menma began as instrumental plays overhead and two girls appear on either side of the screen. The vocal coach perks up as she knew this was a cover of 2NE1's Come Back Home.

"Very bold of her." Youngmin thought. He looked uninterested and wanted to speak up, but his superior hushed him and wanted to hear more.

"Come Back Home, Can you come back home?" Sheena caught the note and Hyesol could only be proud. The CEO mutters to himself while listening to the cover.

She could make out only one word: 'Daebak'

The last video started out fairly odd as Jaerin's face came up and waved to them but was silent. Ilcheon was in the background and seemingly stretching.

"Ooh! This my job isn't it?" the dance teacher asked no one in particular.

The duo seemed to be in the same place they held the mukbang but had moved the table to the side. The two were dressed casually and wore socks on plush carpet. Most of the board members had hunches on what this was but Hyesol made sure that they knew.

"You guys loved it as much as we did and so we deliver. Here is this week's bonus cover video. MYNAME's "Too Very so Much". Enjoy!"

The trainer grew serious as the music started playing. Known for his meticulous judgments, Hyesol knew he had to present the duo to him. Highlighting the routine with only a duo was quite the feat indeed as the routine usually is accompanied by five of six performers. The board watched eagerly as the two easily caught on the song. 

It's as if they knew how to command their own stage.

"As you can see, all four appear to be skilled in the fields of voice and dance complemented by a popular background on social media. I propose that we look upon this new type of media using these four teenagers."

Hyesol brought up their individual channels, streaming across thousands of viewers in Korea alone.

"Established their own following since 2012, they hold different covers beside the ones I showed you. Those were their most recent ones they posted on Menma and Ilcheon's channels respectively."

"I propose we look this matter to other units in the company, considering these four teenagers first. Coincidentally, they have audition forms and attendance in our files."

"So what you're saying is, that these -talented I must say- Teenagers can spearhead something beneficial using their following?" the company's biggest investor questions.

"I say that and more. If any of these teenagers were to be able to pass our audition, then I see why we cannot reach out globally using the platform. All the while keep producing hits." Hyesol beamed back at the intrigued investor.

"Are you advertising them? It'd be unfair to others if the board makes the choice for them." chimed a wealthy woman.

"They can also compromise some confidential information. Comebacks, rehearsals or meetings of other groups can be revealed because of them." Young Min added.

"I do not wish to limit the board's view upon this either. I am simply here to present this new platform that can be utilized once looked upon to in a digitally advancing generation." The board muttered amongst themselves and Hyesol gripped her hand tight.

Then, she got a brilliant idea.

"Instead, why not let this be the new gimmick our next group to debut? The group reaches out locally and internationally, so, if they were to debut, it would be easier to gain a following."

Lee Sooman raised his hand and everyone in the room stopped to hear his word.

"Hyesol, you present an idea to the board which alone is very bold of you. Concept wise, it sounds promising. However, concerning these four teenagers..."

"Wait...Does that mean..." Hyesol hoped they were on the same wave length.

"Your concept shall be deliberated further but heard. These teenagers however should not be any different to any auditionee since these covers cannot simply suffice."

"As you are a manager, email them and at least place them onto our next date of auditions. We will let our staff chose." Her boss passed back the application forms to Hyesol and she kept them back neatly.

"The next idol or group should be able to step up to international standards and not simply out of an edited outcome. Agreed?" The board nodded in agreement.

"If there are no more concerns, the meeting has ended." The CEO got up and left with Kim Youngmin right after. Hyesol stayed behind and shook hands with the rest of the board members.

Some convinced, others skeptical. She couldn't give a damn.

Dreams were at the brink of becoming reality her and she deserved a pat on the back.