The Fourth Month

Let's Not Fall in Love

Daesung would become my light in the darkness that had led me to become so indifferent with the world. He was like a leaf that travelled with the breeze, constantly moving and enjoying everything beautiful that the world offered. My world of derelict, concrete skyscrapers became a vivid sunset on the horizon of the ocean. My days of constant dread became constant excitement as I counted down the moments I could see him again. He had changed me, made me realise I was worth more than I had ever realised. Each moment we spent was a euphoria, as if I was stuck in a constant dream-like state. He was beautiful in every way, and I admired every inch of him, right down to the very fine details.

On our fourth month together, we decided to take a spontaneous weekend trip down to the countryside. The summer heat waves had washed away the cool spring breeze, the endless rolling hills around us awash with a lush palette of green. As we drove along the tree lined roads that threaded through luscious forests and wide paddocks, I truly felt at home; home for me was wherever Daesung was. When I was no longer by his side, things seemed to make less sense. He made me understand why I was alive; to truly enjoy the fleeting beauty of it all as it simply passed us by.

We laughed over the music that played on the old stereo of my old and beaten car, the wind pouring through the open windows as it ran through our hair. I couldn’t help but take my attention off the road every few moments to steal a glance at Daesung, as he leaned out the window to enjoy the cool summer’s air as it rushed against his face. He truly was beautiful, and I now felt blessed for each day that I got to spend exclusively in his company; I would look back on these moments as my fondest in the years to come.
We laughed our heads off as we sang along to our favourite bands, thankfully Daesung was more than accepting of my terrible singing voice than others had been previously

“You know, we should start a band,” The younger said playfully, grinning as he leaned his arm against the windowsill. I could only chuckle incredulously in response, amused by the far-fetched fantasy. Although with Daesung even the most incredulous situations seemed an apparent possibility.

“You know I can’t sing,” I responded sheepishly, still tapping my fingers on the steering wheel as the next song played through. Daesung hummed in amusement at my comment; his voice as smooth as the air that pushed around us. I felt that usual lump catch in my throat as I caught him staring at me; even such simple exchanges still left me utterly nervous. I quickly fixed my attention on the old, battered road ahead of me. Although I should have been paying attention in the first place; lest I avoid crashing.

“You’re better at rapping than I am, you could have a cool nickname like all those other idols,” Daesung teased as he continued to watch the scenery fly by.

“Pass, I’d rather not be a part of a boyband,” I grimaced, earning another airy laugh from my beloved brunette.

“Well I’ll just start one without you then,” He said with a feigned tone of hurt.

“You couldn’t do that, someone has to be the looks,” I retorted playfully. I felt a punch to my arm as Daesung tried his hardest to scowl at me, but we both eventually fell into fits of laughter.

“Oh man, I love you,” Daesung said between fits of laughter, leaving me to fall silent.
We exchanged a short glance, my hesitant gaze meeting those perfect brown orbs. Daesung’s eyes softened in understanding as he turned his gaze back towards the creeping sunset.
While on the exterior it seemed as if Daesung understood my hesitance, I knew he was hurting on the inside.
How I wish I could bring myself to say those three words to him, but I was too much of a coward.
Yet how I yearned for him.

No more than a few minutes later we’d arrived at our destination. Daesung quickly opened the door, before running over the sandy dunes. His childish excitement was nothing short of contagious, as I found myself following quickly behind. The crashing waves eventually came into my view, my feet sinking into the warm sand beneath me. However it was Daesung’s content laughter that filled my senses with warmth, his arms outstretched as he soaked in the cool ocean air.

“I haven’t seen the ocean in years!” Daesung shouted happily, his laughter filling the evening air. I couldn’t help return the action, chuckling to myself as he ran towards the water. I soon followed after him, my bare feet sinking into the cool water beneath me.

The crimson of the sunset clashed with the deep blues of the ocean, as if we were merely subjects in a vivid watercolour painting.  Yet I yearned not for the breathtaking of beauty that surrounded me, for my entire world was contained in that one being before me.

“What are you waiting for? Get in here!” He shouted back at me, splashing about in the water as if a child playing on a summer’s day.

We whiled away the sunset as we became lost in bliss. We enjoyed the cold ocean as it embraced our lonely bodies, relaxing my tense muscles as I forgot my pre-existing worries that tethered me to this world. The sunlight poured away into moonlight as we sat on the sand, the water creeping to our toes as the summer heat clung to our skin. We made love on the beach that night; it had been a memory fit to describe as perfection.

These seasons were fastly fleeting.