The First Month

Let's Not Fall in Love

On our first month together, under the shade of those cherry blossoms strangers became friends. Spring was fast receding, the ever ephemeral cherry blossoms shedding the last of their delicate flowers. The two of us sat under the shade, admiring the pastel petals as they fell around us. As we observed the ever changing world around us I began to feel the strangest of sensations. This stranger beside me, why did I feel so comfortable by his side? 
Everything about Kang Daesung soothed my soul; it truly frightened me.

“Beautiful, aren’t they?” Daesung said quietly as he lazily stretched out over the grass. The younger was currently sprawled on his back, his arms comfortably behind his head with his legs crossed. His leg rocked gently back and forth as he remained deep in thought. I sat up as I questioned the brunette’s philosophical tone; Daesung’s mind was always seemed to be a flurry of poetic musings, no matter what the time of day.

“The cherry blossoms? I suppose they are,” I commented nonchalantly as I admired the serene expression that adorned his attractive features. I myself was a man who lacked unique expression of my own; my spoken words were few. Unlike Daesung, I was unable to speak so freely from my own thoughts, I had spent far too long thinking everyone else’s thoughts rather than my own.

“The cherry blossom represents the fragility and the beauty of life. It's a reminder that life is almost overwhelmingly beautiful but that it is also tragically short,” Daesung commented. It was almost as if he were a walking book of poetry; everything that he spoke seemed so profound and wise. Daesung enlightened me with his reveries; it was certainly at outlook on life I’d never pondered previously. With each word spoken I simply seemed to fall even deeper for this man. Even though our time spent together was only very short, I was truly head over heels for Kang Daesung. However at this stage such feelings simply remained an afterthought. It was far too soon to be expressing such feelings towards a man I barely knew; not to mention I held a great hesitation in believing he felt the same way.

I simply said nothing in response to the younger male beside me, the spring breeze rolling between us as we basked in the company of one another. I simply remained silent as I sifted the grass between my fingers, enjoying the feeling of the raw Earth beneath me. Daesung looked over at me momentarily, his smile gentle from beneath his gently swaying locks. I would never quite understand Daesung’s unwavering sincerity; it was as if negativity had never flowed through his veins. Quite the contrary to the pessimistic reflection of my own personality.

“In the cherry blossom’s shade, there’s no such thing as a stranger.”  His words made me hesitate as I finally met his gaze. He rolled over to better look at me, his smile creeping out from beneath his arm. As the floating petals framed his softened expression, my heart threatened to give way.

“I find you fascinating, Choi Seunghyun,” The breathtaking brunette mused, slowly sitting up. He laughed as I shot him a bewildered look; I knew that my emotions were exposed at that very moment. Daesung cocked his head lightly as he remained deep in thought, his gaze still fully fixated on my own.

At that moment the grass felt ever softer between my fingers as Daesung crawled over to me, closing the distance between our lonely bodies. His lips were so soft as they pressed against my own, my fingers pulling at the grass as my heart beat ever faster. Time seemed to speed up at that very moment, as we shared the moment that would become our first kiss. It was gentle and innocent in nature; it was everything that I’d imagined would become of my first kiss with Daesung.
It was spontaneous, and had thrown me completely off guard. Yet it warmed my frozen heart completely.

It had been a long time since I’d shared a fleeting moment of affection with another; how I’d missed this feeling of euphoria flowing through my veins. My heart lamented the moment he ended that sweet embrace of our lips.

“I want to know more about you, Seunghyun,” Daesung whispered lightly against my lips, causing a shiver to run down my spine. This male across from me had me completely entranced.

It was from this very moment that I realised that I would spend the rest of my life with this man.

“I want to know you too, Daesung,”