Ache

Waiting

Yibo knew that he was in love with Sungjoo, but that didn't mean he wouldn't deny it. He'd been telling himself that the little crush he developed over the years didn't mean anything, he was just over analyzing his actions.

He told himself that he was just being a good friend as he did several things for the elder. Good friends let each other get away with childish actions while accepting anything they asked for. Friends do each other's homework and occasionally wait 3 extra hours after school when the other got detention, it's not like Yibo minded, though.

Plus, it wasn't like Yibo had the guts to go up to Sungjoo and ask him out anyway. He would either freeze up or ask about a completely unrelated topic. On top of the fact he couldn't ask, he knew for a fact that Sungjoo's brain had never even thought of asking him. One of the many reasons Yibo denied his own feelings was because he didn't want to fall in love with an oblivious idiot. Especially if that oblivious idiot has the name of Kim Sungjoo.

Yibo tried to remember the last time Sungjoo got an idea before he did, or if Sungjoo noticed anything different without Yibo pointing it out for him. It just wasn't a good idea to fall in love with someone like that. The last time Yibo remembered Sungjoo caught onto something without his help was when he first changed his hair color. He had spent a few months quieter than usual while touching his hair. Sungjoo spoke to him about it one day, reassuring the younger that if he didn't like it, he was free to change it. He also remembered Sungjoo complimented him on it repeatedly after as he was considering. As he spoke, he would add small comments like, "I love your hair" and "Your hair suits you" or "It looks amazing."

Still, Sungjoo started doing that months after Yibo had got his hair dyed, so there wasn't even a chance Sungjoo would notice Yibo's little crush if Yibo never brought it up, or acted any differently.

'Just don't act differently, that can't be so hard.' Yibo told himself as he looked up at the sky. He was standing in the same area he grew accustomed to waiting for Sungjoo at, but he hasn't stayed more than an hour after the last bell for a long time. Sungjoo had kept him waiting, the last time was a month ago when he got detention. Bringing his eyes back down, his attention was drawn to a small mark on his shoes, he would have to clean it later.

Sighing, he checked his phone then looked around, 'It's 3:10 and Sungjoo still isn't here. Does he have detention again? He did his homework, I was there when he finished, and I even checked to make sure he did it all...' Yibo's thoughts drifted and he checked the time again, 2 minutes passed. He checked the area around him one more time just to make sure he wasn't the one messing up, before unlocking his phone and scrolling down to Sungjoo's number. Right when he was about to press the call button, he heard his name being called.

Looking up for the 10th time since he had been there, he finally saw him. He gave Sungjoo a look as the other ran towards him, bag flopping behind his back. Yibo let Sungjoo take his time regaining his breath and energy, but that didn't mean he was going to let the elder go without an explanation. When he saw Sungjoo calming himself, he turned slowly and began his way home, knowing Sungjoo would follow him like an obedient dog.

He was right, Sungjoo made a small noise when he saw Yibo already walking, but he followed and clamped his hand down on the younger's shoulder when he was close enough.

Yibo grunted, letting Sungjoo know that his explanation better be good. He saw Sungjoo rub the back of his neck and he heard the nervous laugh he loved.

'I mean, I don't love it' Yibo thought, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"So..." Sungjoo finally started, "I was just sitting in my last period, thinking about how I wanted to get home as fast as I could-"

"Sungjoo," Yibo's monotone voice cut him off, telling him to get to the point.

"Fine, there's this new cute guy in my class and I wanted to get his number." The small mutter came out of thin lips and Yibo stopped mid-step, he actually moved back a little. He heard Sungjoo's nervous laugh again and he willed himself not to look into his eyes.

"Okay, I know you might be mad at the stupid reason to keep you waiting-"

'That's right Yibo, don't let him know you like him, you're mad because you were waiting for a whole hour. You waited for an hour because Sungjoo found a cute guy... He found a cute guy...' Yibo took a deep breath and listened to the last part.

"but I promise, it won't happen again." Sungjoo rushed the last part because Yibo had started walking again.

'I'm mad because of the stupid reason, I'm mad because of the stupid reason. Not because of the new guy, get it together Yibo, it's not the end of the world.' Yibo ranted inside his brain, suddenly there were hands on both his shoulders and he was forced to stop walking.

Sungjoo jerked him back, Yibo hadn't said anything, it wasn't really that bad was it?

"I'm sorry okay?" Sungjoo tilted his head slightly since he was only a few centimeters taller than the other, "Yibo," Sungjoo urged, seeing the anger in the younger's eyes.

'Don't look at him Yibo, don't, DON'T' Yibo's eyes flicked to meet others and he just hoped that his fast heart rate was from walking too fast and being jerked back. "Hm?" He hummed.

"Are you really mad about it?" Sungjoo asked, worry laced in his voice. Yibo looked away, fighting a blush. Thankfully, his body wasn't feeling too mean at the moment and his face cooled down.

"I just... have a lot of homework, and I need to get it done right away, I'm not that mad don't worry. I'm just a little stressed." He mumbled clear enough for Sungjoo to understand.

"Ohhh~" Sungjoo sang, switching his mood immediately. Yibo moved out of the elder's grip and began walking again.

'That wasn't a complete lie, I do have a lot of homework to get done, it's just not due till Friday.' Yibo tried to take away the guilt of lying to the elder, 'but it wasn't a complete lie' he told himself again.

"So what about you? We've been in school for a good 3 months now, there has to be someone in this school you find attractive." Sungjoo threw his hands up in the air as he emphasized 'someone'. Yibo turned his head to look at him for a while before facing the sidewalk again and shrugging.

"Really?! Not even one person managed to catch the almighty Yibo's eye?" Sungjoo slouched. He heard a small laugh from Yibo and mentally bore a hole into the blond hair.

"Is it really that surprising I don't have a crush?" Yibo asked out loud instead of in his head, surprising himself, why did he always do that around Sungjoo?

"YES! It is!" Sungjoo flailed his arms in frustration and caused Yibo to laugh a little louder. "It's not just because you don't have one, it's because you've never had one!" Sungjoo's been emphasizing a lot of words today.

"Who says I've never had a crush?" Yibo challenged? There he goes again, saying stupid stuff because of Sungjoo.

"Tell me who your last crush was." Sungjoo deadpanned. Yibo opened his mouth, about to answer with a simple three letter word but it retreated faster than it had appeared in his mind. He tilted his head down and blushed, staying quiet. Like always, Sungjoo took his actions the wrong way.

"My point exactly, you have never had a crush, to think that hormones would have caught up to you by now, are you a late bloomer Yibo? You can't be a late bloomer, you've already grown so tall. Just how are you controlling hormones?" Sungjoo's questions came one after another and Yibo had to bite his tongue in order to keep quiet. His body agreed to shrug instead.

"Fine then, be like that, but one day, one day Wang Yibo, you will have a crush, and you will tell me," Sungjoo grinned and stuck his finger in the air dramatically as they turned into their col de sac. Yibo watched him run into his house before continuing to his house with a small frown.

'One day, I hope I can tell you' he hoped that on some crazy way, his thoughts would reach Sungjoo's and everything would be easier, or potentially more complicated, but, at least, Sungjoo would know that he did in fact, have a crush.

'Just a crush' he said to himself, trying to ignore the pain in his chest when he remembered Sungjoo talking about the new kid in his class.

-

"Yixuan" Sungjoo suddenly said as they were eating lunch the next day.

"Hm?" Yibo looked up from his phone screen briefly, making eye contact with Sungjoo for a second before returning his attention to the game he was playing "Go on, I'm listening"

Sungjoo peered at the device for a while, watching the graphics create motions of swords clanking together and arrows finding their ways to targets. Yibo didn't hear Sungjoo continue so he sighed and paused the game.

"I was listening before, but are you happy now?" Yibo gave Sungjoo a blank face and set his phone down on the table after turning it off. Sungjoo watched him with careful eyes as if Yibo was planning to just zone him out, but he knew better.

"Yixuan, he's the guy I told you about yesterday,"

'Don't react, don't react.' Yibo was able to keep his blank face while nodding. "You know this how?" He raised his right brow.

"I... heard it around." Sungjoo scratched the back of his neck like always. Yibo, as usual, didn't say anything, hiding his feelings was a lot easier when you're naturally quiet. It was one of the many times he was glad of being an introvert.

"Hm." Yibo nodded and picked his phone back up to go back to his game. Sungjoo quickly slammed his hand down on Yibo's phone to prevent him from picking it up. The blond's hand retreated and he slowly brought his gaze back to Sungjoo.

"You're not going to ask me about him?" Sungjoo pouted and brought the phone to his lap, hiding it from its owner.

Yibo stared at him for a while, trying to give the hint that he wasn't really interested but he forgot about the fact Sungjoo was an oblivious idiot.

'An oblivious idiot you managed to fall in love with' his brain reminded. Rolling his eyes at himself and Sungjoo he hummed.

"Well since you asked so nicely," Sungjoo grinned, resting his elbows on the table and his chin in his hands. "He has black hair and a slim face. He's thin and seems to always have a gentle smile on his lips. He's super tall too!" Sungjoo's eyes lit up and Yibo felt a slight pang in his chest when he saw it.

"Now that I think about it..." Sungjoo rubbed his chin, "He might actually be taller than me!" smiled as he stared off into the clouds, dreaming about the perfect new student while Yibo tried to snatch his phone back but it slipped between Sungjoo's thighs and there was NO way he was going to reach between them, even if the feeling in his chest got worse.

-

The walk home wasn't that great either, Sungjoo continued to talk about his crush the whole way home and Yibo tried to zone him out with the one earbud providing him the musical distraction.

"Today he looked so good! It's so sad that we only have the last period together, but at least, I have something to look forward to during school besides lunch" Sungjoo babbled into Yibo's unoccupied ear.

'Just a few more steps...' Yibo could see the entrance to the col de sac from where they were walking.

"He looked so nice in what he was wearing, though, the simple black checkered sweater and blue jeans, Yibo you should have seen him!" Sungjoo balled his fists and brought them closer to his face.

Every word Sungjoo said about Yixuan brought Yibo closer and closer to barfing all over himself. When they reached the col de sac opening he bolted for his door, almost feeling sorry for the love-struck Sungjoo too busy thinking about Yixuan's jean sweater and checkered jeans.

Almost.