Well...

Waiting

Sungjoo walked outside to find a moving truck parked in front of the house next to his. Being the curious little child he was, he walked closer to the truck to see if anyone was there. As he neared the white vehicle, another car pulled up to the house. He stopped at the edge of his driveway to see who his new neighbors were going to be.

Out came a tall woman, young and pretty. She was smiling as she opened the back doors for a small blond. Sungjoo tilted his head and observed him. He couldn't have been older, maybe just a few years younger. The two made eye contact for a moment before the blond looked away. Sungjoo continued to stare until he heard his mother's squeal, he turned his head and saw her running out of the house with a grin on her face.

Sungjoo watched his mother run up to the other lady and hug her. When he looked at the little blond boy, he looked confused too. He watched his mother laugh and talk about how "it's been so long, you look amazing" and "Oh my gosh! He's so big!" for a while. When his mother signaled him to come closer, he stood for a moment, catching the slight fear in the blond's eyes. His mother called his name so he had no choice but to walk over. With every step he took, the more the other hid behind the tall lady.

"This is Sungjoo, he's only 3 years older than Yibo." She smiled once Sungjoo was close enough. He stood to the side and smiled at the blond.

"Ah, so he's 10. This is Yibo, he's a little shy, sorry about that." The lady said with a light tone. "Yibo, wanna say hi to Sungjoo?" She peered down at her son.

The blond boy came from behind her and stared at the two. He didn't say anything and but he looked a little mad. Sungjoo smiled nonetheless, he was just shy, right?

"Nice to meet you Yibo! Do you like video games?" Sungjoo saw the PSP almost falling out of his jacket pocket. Yibo nodded hesitantly, tucking the PSP into his pocket so it was more secure.

"C'mon Yibo! I have video games in my room!" Sungjoo held his hand out but Yibo didn't take it. Sungjoo waited a little more before grabbing his hand and dragging him into his house and up the stairs. Yibo tried to find a way to tell Sungjoo that he needed to get his stuff but Sungjoo wasn't listening.

-

"YIBOOOOOO" Sungjoo's loud voice rang through the headphones, he was almost certain Sungjoo would be the cause of his hearing loss. Nonetheless, he continued to click several keys on the keyboard while maneuvering the mouse across the screen. "GOOO GOOOO!" Sungjoo's voice echoed through his head. Eventually, the dreadful sound of their team losing reached both their ears. Yibo winced a little at Sungjoo's, loud, reaction. He took the headphones off and set them on the desk, leaning back against and running his fingers through his hair in frustration. It was their second loss that morning.

Sungjoo's screaming died down and he figured it was safe to put his headphones back on. "What happened? You had that."

"I could have focused better if you weren't yelling in my ear." he muttered.

"I always yell in your ear" the static reply came. Yibo rolled his eyes at the typical reply. It always happened whenever they lost, Sungjoo would blame Yibo for doing something wrong, Yibo would blame it on Sungjoo's yelling, and Sungjoo would use the 'I always yell' excuse. 

"YIBO TELL SUNGJOO TO GET READY FOR SCHOOL!" His mother's call reached his ears through his headphones.

"Are you ready for school? My mom told you to get ready." Yibo asked through the mic, he checked the time and saw that they had 5 more minutes to spare.

"Your mom is so nice! Always looking out for me like that." Sungjoo cooed from the other line. Yibo resisted the urge to tell Sungjoo that his mother probably planned it and she knew he only listened to Yibo's family when it came to school.

"Yeah, well get ready. You have five minutes" Yibo ended the Skype call before dancing his way downstairs to wait.

"Why do you two always insist on playing games in the morning? It would be better if you had a proper breakfast. Look at how thin you are!" His mother complained as he waltzed in. He stopped mid-turn to walk properly.

"Next time I'll bring food upstairs to eat while playing." he joked, his mother shook her head before handing him a bowl of fruits as Sungjoo came through the door.

"Take this on the way, don't starve yourselves." She said, waving them till they walked out the door.

"Mrs. Wang, I know Yibo's still a baby but I'm a Senior now remember?" He smiled and took the bowl of mixed fruits from Yibo's hands. The younger glared at him after bidding his mother goodbye. "Awww Yibo, don't look at me like that." Sungjoo fed the younger a grape before closing the door on the way out.

Yibo walked beside Sungjoo silently while the other ate fruits. The silence wasn't long or awkward, Sungjoo knew that Yibo wasn't talkative so he saw it as a chance to talk more.

Yibo grew up to be a quiet and observant person, he only ever acted out or caused attention when he was around Sungjoo.

Sungjoo, on the other hand, grew up to be loud and oblivious. He could only calm down when he was around Yibo.

They didn't have much in common, the two of them, Yibo loved dancing and although Sungjoo did too the latter preferred singing. Yibo was introverted while Sungjoo was extroverted. One always kept his opinions to himself whereas the other always had a say in everything. One was a follower while the other was a leader. One liked the other while the other didn't like him.

That's what Yibo often thought about. He wondered how he ended up liking Sungjoo. When he first realized his affection towards the Sungjoo, in 6th grade, he tried to play it off by telling himself it was because the other was his first friend. He thought about how he would always stare right at Sungjoo and give him all his attention while he talked, how he always waited for the elder in front of his house on the days he came home from school first. He noticed how he would always go along with whatever Sungjoo decided to do, no matter how silly it was. 

Like when he first dyed his hair blond in 7th grade. Sungjoo said it would make him look really good, especially since his hair was long. Eventually, Yibo asked his mother to take him to a salon. Ever since then Yibo kept it blond.

He thought about how much he knew about Sungjoo. How he was extremely childish, having a large collection of stuffed animals and loving skinship. How he would always complain when something didn't go his way but get over it in a matter of 5 seconds. He noticed the way Sungjoo always laughed when he felt nervous and the way his lips formed a pout when he was concentrating too hard. Yibo noticed a lot about Sungjoo but he didn't know why.

Why did he fall for Sungjoo? Was it the way the other always asked him for his opinion, or how he always got him to do things he didn't know he would like? Did he like Sungjoo because he was full of surprises yet very predictable? Or did he fall for the elder because he was incredibly confident yet extremely nice? Maybe it was just physical attraction, yeah, it could just be physical attraction.

Sungjoo grew to be at least 6 foot. His curly brown hair has always been cut long enough to simply cover his forehead or be styled up without too much hair gel.

Yibo preferred the days when he styled it up and to the side, it suited him. 

His facial structure caused a lot of girls to fall for him, maybe Yibo along with them, but who wouldn't fall for a soft jawline that could cut you once he took a bite out of something? Sungjoo knew that he was attractive too, and he used it to his advantage. During the summer, he would always wear tank tops to show off his shoulders and arms.

Yibo's thoughts drifted to the day before when he walked into Sungjoo's room to see the elder playing a video game while laying on his bed. His eyes shifted towards Yibo for a moment before they moved back to the T.V screen. He probably woke up a few moments before since he still had some bed head and sleep lingering in his eyes.

Yibo's eyes tried to tear away from the view of the elder's softly defined abs. Yibo gulped when he noticed Sungjoo's Kelvin Klein peeking out from underneath his pants. He looked at the screen before he could look at anything else. It took him a while to figure out what game it was but thankfully, Sungjoo didn't notice.

Even now, Yibo was having a hard time not staring at the elder. He wasn't wearing anything special, but it was enough to make Yibo's heart race the slightest bit. He was just wearing a plain green shirt and white jeans, Yibo didn't know why it made Sungjoo look so good, he just knew that it did.

Mentally slapping himself, he tried to refocus on what Sungjoo was saying. Something about the weather, he was probably complaining about how hot it was.

"Did you want some?" he heard. He looked up from his gaze on the floor and saw that Sungjoo was holding the almost-empty bowl of fruits toward him while trying to fit a piece of watermelon in his mouth, his cheeks puffed out to fit it all.

"Some? As in, the rest of this right?" Yibo took a strawberry and bit into it. Sungjoo chuckled before giving him the whole bowl.

"Fine, you can have the rest of it, but you have to throw the bowl away," He said, his fingers before drying them on his shirt. Yibo ate the rest of the fruits while Sungjoo continued to talk about how much fun it's going to be now that they are going to the same school again. "You aren't really going to classes today and you get your schedule next week. The next three days are kind of like a prologue, you like prologues so it should be all good." He nudged the other boy.

"What's wrong with prologues? They help you win the game." Yibo defended.

"No they don't, they're just a waste of time, but that's not the point. High school isn't a game, Yibo." He put his hands behind his head as they walked into the school grounds. Yibo looked at him for a moment and thought that it could be true, but then again, Sungjoo isn't always right.

"But life is" Yibo shot back, causing Sungjoo to bend over and laugh.

"That's deep Yibo, is that what goes on in your head? A bunch of deep phrases that you read?" Sungjoo made hand gestures as if Yibo wouldn't be able to understand him if he didn't. Yibo ignored him and continued his way towards the classrooms.

"There are a lot of girls that like that kind of thing you know," Sungjoo noticed he was being left behind and jogged to catch up, "deep emotional guys." He continued after matching Yibo's pace. "Plus you're quiet, there are girls that like that too. The aloof ones that give off the cool vibe. You're going to be so popular!" Sungjoo cooed, running in front of him and squishing his cheeks as if he was 3. Yibo stared at him for a moment, his body was telling him to stay still but of course, he didn't. Sungjoo was going to reach and ruffle his hair but Yibo slapped it away, making sure his hair would stay intact.

"So mean~" Sungjoo pouted, rubbing his hand to sooth the fake pain. Yibo couldn't help but smile a little at the childish acts. "Why do I seem more excited than you?"

"Maybe because you are." Yibo shrugged, walking towards the nearest trash can to dispose of the bowl.

"WHAAAT?" Sungjoo screamed, gathering the attention of a few people. Yibo tilted his head down, trying not to make any eye contact. Sungjoo noticed and quickly apologized. "Sorry," He said, walking closer to Yibo, "but why aren't you excited? It's high school! New experiences, new people, and lots of change!" Sungjoo grinned, throwing his hands up in the air even though Yibo wasn't looking.

Yibo shrugged, he didn't think that high school would be any different from any other school, besides the fact, he'd be hanging out with Sungjoo at lunch instead of himself. "Would it really be any different? It didn't make you any different."

"Ah..." Sungjoo rubbed the back of his head, realizing it was true, he was outgoing as a freshman and he's still outgoing now, not to mention that he still only hangs out with Yibo. "Okay, bad example, but you still meet a lot more people. It could  change you!" Sungjoo pressed his finger to Yibo's chest, hard enough to make the other cover it afterwards.

"Hm, I'll keep that in mind and make sure I don't change," Yibo grinned. Sungjoo opened his mouth to give him a lecture but the bell rang. Yibo waved at the retreating Sungjoo before making way to his own class.

'Lots of change huh?' Yibo thought on his way to the first introductory class.