God Damn It Sungjoo

Waiting

There were bad days.

Bad days are when Sungjoo goes to the bakery Yixuan works at, sits in the cozy corner table, and stays there the whole day drinking whatever Yixuan recommends. Bad days come most often, Sungjoo feels bad for Yixuan since the other has to deal with him, but he didn't want to be alone.

It was a small coffee shop, there weren't many workers and the wall didn't have anything fancy but the different shades of brown. Sungjoo thought it was cute and he always felt better when he was inside. It wasn't silent, there was the constant sound of brewing coffee and small talk to keep him company.

As most days passed since Yibo left, Sungjoo would remember something the younger did, and all the things the younger never complained about but should have. Sure he handled them better as days went on, he started going out of the house again and talking to people. Sadness was still present, but now he was able to mask it.

He remembered all the days Yibo wouldn't eat breakfast because he slept in. He remembered he slept in because he stayed up late playing league. He stayed up playing because Sungjoo asked him too.

"The boy could've been sleep deprived because of me" Sungjoo leaned forward over the edge of the table, grumbling to himself.

Sungjoo remembered when he asked Yibo to enter the talent show with him. He never complained but Sungjoo was starting to realize all the discomfort Yibo had. He wouldn't talk at all and followed everything Sungjoo said, he never argued and never teased Sungjoo when he messed up. It was so un-Yibo like at the time. Luckily enough, they weren't able to perform that day, Sungjoo got sick and his mother wouldn't let him go out. He wondered what Yibo would have done if Sungjoo wasn't sick.

"He didn't say no, though, he didn't want to do it, though, he never complained, though, he was okay with it, though, but he wasn't though" He grumbled more and felt a hand on his shoulder.

He looked up from the pretzel of his arms to see Yixuan's sympathetic look, Yixuan always had that face when he looks at Sungjoo. Sungjoo was staring to think that was his actual face.

"You said too many 'though's"

Sungjoo laughed halfheartedly and straightened his back against the chair, managing to crack his spine in a few places.

There have been good days, but they were rare.

These were days when Yixuan was free and able to cheer Sungjoo up. He was such a great friend Sungjoo knew that he owed a lot.

He owed him back for the time they went to the amusement park, from all the times they went to the mall when Yixuan brought food to his house because he knew Sungjoo was just sulking in his room. There was a lot more and Yixuan always said it was fine. Sungjoo had been believing it up until now.

There have been normal days too.

Days where Sungjoo tolerates Yibo not being there. Where he's aware Yibo is gone but no bad memories come. On those days, it's usually when Yixuan has work and he doesn't have money to pay for anything. He feels awkward to just sit there even though Yixuan said it would be fine. When he has a normal day he's usually too busy to think about anything.

He started college not that long ago, but for him, it feels like he's been there his whole life. On normal days, he catches up in all his assignments while being late because he slept in, on those days he skips meals and he's only able to think about food during his free time. Sungjoo likes normal days, he would choose to have a normal day over the one he was having so far.

He looked across the table, Yixuan was sitting there now. He was still in his working apron.

"You're on your break?" Sungjoo tilted his head. It was always better talking to Yixuan, but he knew he wasn't able to keep him up the whole time. "You probably want to talk to..." Sungjoo looked behind him towards the counter and spotted the familiar face. He smiled when he saw the young man, he thought that the other was adorable, the way he always waited for Yixuan.

Sungjoo had come most days of the week ever since Yixuan got his job, and every time around Yixuan's break, the boy would be there. He hadn't bothered to learn the other's name but he seemed nice. He was always smiling and when Sungjoo watched the two interact they seemed like they could talk for hours. They probably would if Sungjoo weren't there. Yixuan would always look over and excuse himself.

"No, it's fine. I talk to him every day." As if on cue the man turned around and waved towards the two. Yixuan turned slightly pink and waved back. Sungjoo smiled a bit more at the cute exchange and stood up.

"You talk to me every day too Yixuan, I'm fine." Yixuan gave him a look of disbelief and Sungjoo let out a laugh. "Really, I am. Go talk to him, and make sure to introduce us sometime. I would like to know his name." He set some money on the table, that's a good repayment for now. Sungjoo would make up for the rest later.

It's been a year and a half, close to summer time. Sungjoo walked out of the store into the hot outside air. He's always liked being warm over being cold. It was comforting. He let himself bask in the sun with his eyes closed for a while longer before walking down the street.

The good thing about the cafe was that it was built in the plaza between the high school and his house, which meant was able to walk every day. Walking cleared his mind sometimes, he was able to observe everything around him and think of cute dates he would bring Yibo on if he was still there.

He sighed, 2 more years, 2 more years and Yibo will be back. He slowed his walk, something he's been doing a lot lately, he slowed to a stop and stared at a trail before changing his route and following it.

It was narrow, and covered with a bunch of squirrel droppings, but it was quiet and had the same feeling of silence Yibo gave off. Sungjoo occasionally walked through it, he liked to walk through it on good days. It kept him happy.

At the end of the trail, there was a small park. It was mostly field, but there were swings and a slide, for Sungjoo, that counts as a park. The swings were way too small for him and if he sat on the slide his feet would touch the floor. The paint was chipping and metal was corroding but Sungjoo still liked it there.

It was one of the places he was surely going to bring Yibo when he got back. Yibo would love it, no people, just them two. Sungjoo smiled at the thought as he took a lap around the small play set, observing all the chips and rust. He wondered if there were other people that came here beside him.

"Yibo would like it here..." Sungjoo let his back rest on the grass, he should start coming here instead of the cafe, that way he would be relaxed and not be bothering Yixuan.

He folded his arms behind his head and heard some rustling in the trees. Sungjoo tilted his head back and squinted his eyes to see if someone was coming. He ended up rolling over and sitting up in shock when he saw two guys, one looked a lot like Yibo. He rubbed his eyes to make sure he wasn't hallucinating but Yibo was still there. It was only a year... right?

The guy next to him saw Sungjoo first, he didn't seem to mind but Sungjoo knew he said something because the Yibo-look-alike snapped his head up and made eye contact with Sungjoo.

The elder of the two scrambled to stand up, dusting himself off and shyly looking up at the look-alike again. He rubbed the back of his head.

"Yibo?" He asked. The other stopped and looked at his friend. The look-alike nodded and smiled softly.

"Hi, Sungjoo." His friend seemed to think of something before whispering in Yibo's ear and leaving. Waving to both of them. Yibo looked at the floor and swayed a little.

"Wh-what are you doing back so early? And..." He gestured to his hair and Yibo touched his fringe gently.

"I came back to see my mom... I wasn't expecting to see you... I thought you would be in a dorm." He paused before answering the second question, "I thought it would be a good change" Yibo let his hand drop to his side again as he waited for Sungjoo to say something.

"No... I'm still living with my mom heh... You just got back today right? You must be jet lagged." He peeked up at the younger slightly, "It looks good on you"

"Thanks..." Yibo murmured. Sungjoo sat down again and patted the patch of grass next to him.

"Come sit, we can catch up." Yibo walked over slowly but Sungjoo wasn't complaining.

Sungjoo didn't hesitate when he blurted, "I got your note." he rested his arms on his knees and looked at the trees if he looked at Yibo he might do something the other doesn't want.

"Oh..."

"I was thinking about it today actually... about what you said inside the note." He looked at Yibo to find him staring back with fear in his eyes. Sungjoo was taken aback but continued, afraid to break eye contact. "Yibo... do you still like me?"

Yibo blinked, he moved back a little and Sungjoo sighed, dropping his head with a bitter smile and taking it as a no.

"I'm sorry, for putting you through all that trouble... I guess this is the way the world is repaying me." He looked up at the sky again, eyes a little moister than usual, bitter smile still on his face. Yibo stared at him for a while, wondering about what the elder just said. Sungjoo caught on and laughed, wiping baby teardrops away. "Just... How you waited so long... You've liked me for so long and now that I like you, you've finally moved on."

Sungjoo laughed to himself, no, he laughed at himself. He deserved this, he shouldn't be crying. 'Yibo deserves someone that would know everything about him, not someone like me, who doesn't even understand a small gesture.'

He saw Yibo's eyes widen in his peripherals and stood up before dusting the dirt off his . "Sorry again, I'll leave now." He didn't bother turning around, he missed Yibo getting up in a rush as he walked towards the trail.

He felt a hand around his wrist and a tug on his arm then suddenly his mouth was covered by another. This time, Sungjoo's eyes widened and he was the one to step back. Yibo was still holding onto his wrist tightly.

"God damn it Sungjoo," Yibo said, moving to rest his forehead on the other's shoulder. Sungjoo felt the grip on his wrist loosen then tighten repeatedly before the hand dropped to the side.

"Wh-what?" He heard Yibo laugh and watched his shoulder shake slightly and a sudden warm feeling spread across his chest.

"Do you really think that someone like me would stop loving the only person in his life besides his mom-- Do you really think that I would be over you in a year?" His tone carried a teasingly sad mood and Sungjoo was confused again.

"You... were with--" Yibo moved his head away from Sungjoo's shoulder to look him in the eye.

"A friend Sungjoo, a friend. When he whispered in my ear earlier he was telling me he was going to see his boyfriend. Sungjoo I-- I still love you, a lot" Yibo looked away and shoved his hands in his pockets. Sungjoo watched the tips of his ears turn pink from under the brown hair.

Without thinking, Sungjoo cupped Yibo's cheek with his hand so he could turn the younger's face to look at him. When he got the other's attention he dropped his hand to Yibo's neck and wrapped his arm around Yibo's lower back. He brought him in and pressed their lips together gently. He felt Yibo's hands come out from inside his pockets and suddenly there was a pair of arms between the two, pushing Sungjoo away. Sungjoo opened his eyes to find tears in Yibo's.

"What did I do now?" Sungjoo asked, worried. Yibo tried to push him farther but his arms refused to listen to his brain and he ended up burying his face in the crook of Sungjoo's neck while gripping the back of his shirt. Sungjoo kept his left arm behind Yibo as the other moved up to Yibo's hair. It was soft and made Sungjoo smile.

"You're an idiot." Yibo let out shakily, gripping the back of Sungjoo's shirt tighter. The elder combed his fingers through the Yibo's hair but stopped when he heard Yibo say, "If you're just saying this because you feel bad I swear--" Sungjoo quickly pushed the other far enough to lean back in and peck him on the lips, effectively cutting him off. When they separated again the tears spilled from Yibo's eyes and Sungjoo wiped them away gently.

He had never seen Yibo cry before, not like this, not in fear. He felt guilt well up in his chest and rested his forehead against Yibo's, staring into the other's eyes.

"Yibo, if I'm lying then you could kill me right now." He felt the other try to move away so he locked his arms and prevented any movement. "I'm sorry I wasn't able to realize it earlier. I love you. I really do." He caressed the younger's hair and neck again, gently massaging the area and watching him turn a pretty shade of pink.

"Idiot," Yibo said again before hiding himself in Sungjoo once more, smiling to himself when Sungjoo laughed.

-

"WENHAAAAN~!" Seungyoun burst through the glass doors of the dance studio, immediately walking over to the counter to peer over it and stare at his currently sleeping boyfriend.

"Mfm lemme sleep, no one comes in any way" Wenhan shooed away an imaginary fly causing Seungyoun to pout.

"Wenhan get up, is this any way to greet your boyfriend that's been gone for a year and a half?!"

Wenhan finally opened his eyes to peer at the other. His eyes widened for a moment before he stood up, grabbing Seungyoun's collar, and bringing him down into a kiss over the counter.

Seungyoun pushed him away, wearing a grin waiting for Wenhan expectantly.

"Why are you back so early?? I thought-- you said-- Seungyoun" Wenhan smiled, he looked like he just ran a mile, he moved around the counter to hug the other, squeezing him tightly as if to make sure he was real. "I missed you"

"Ew don't go all gooey on me" Seungyoun pushed him away teasingly but it wasn't even hard enough to open a door. "Something happened at the academy, I don't know exactly what, I think the person in charge of it got sick or something business-like, but we were all sent home with refunds."

"So you're staying?" Wenhan smiled, still hugging the younger close.

"Gah!" Seungyoun pushed him again, "I told you no gooey stuff!" He saw Wenhan pout, he knew it was fake but he didn't stop himself from lightly kissing the other. "But yeah, I'm staying."

-

"I missed you," Sungjoo said into Yibo's hair. They were still at the deserted park, facing away from the trail. Yibo was sitting between Sungjoo's legs and leaned back against the other as Sungjoo buried his face in his hair.

"You told me that already" He smiled when he said it, knowing that this was very unlike him, but he couldn't bring himself to care. He felt Sungjoo tighten his hold around his chest and say something else. "What?" Yibo looked up at Sungjoo so the sound wouldn't be muffled again,

"I said," Sungjoo leaned down to kiss Yibo's lips, he's been doing this for the past 5 minutes, "It's because I need to make up for everything I put you through before you leave again."

Yibo rolled his eyes and suddenly reached up to play with the hair on the back of Sungjoo's head. He the hair there softly, noticing that it didn't change before bringing Sungjoo's head down so they could kiss again. It was sweet and simple nothing too flustering, but Yibo still felt his ears go hot.

"I'm not leaving." He whispered against Sungjoo's lips, smiling when the other pulled away with a confused face. This time, Sungjoo didn't kiss him, he just wrapped his arms around Yibo again and hugged him tightly.

"Yibo," Sungjoo said, moving his head lower so it would rest in the crook of Yibo's neck

"Yeah?"

"Why didn't you complain? I've been thinking about that ever since you left... I could never figure out why you would put yourself through that."

Yibo thought about it for a moment before shrugging. "I could have, couldn't I?" Yibo thought in a teasing tone. He felt Sungjoo nod against his shoulder and he couldn't keep in the laugh.

"I guess, I wanted you to be happy. I was fine doing anything as long as you were happy and having fun. It's nice to see you smile." He looked at Sungjoo but the other didn't bring up his head. "If you're smiling, then everything is okay." He whispered quietly.

"Yibo, you knew you were important to me, I didn't want you hurting like that." He laughed again but Sungjoo still didn't lift his head. His smile drifted away and he tapped Sungjoo's knee.

"Hey. Sungjoo. It's fine."

"It's not Yibo, what if-- what if you didn't go to the dance academy, you would just watch from afar and get farther away until eventually we're strangers. I know that if you never left, you would have never written a note, let alone tell me you love me. Would you really have been content with watching me smile with someone else?" Sungjoo was looking at him now, Yibo saw his furrowed brow and noticed Sungjoo's clenched fists.

"Yes," He answered truthfully. "I wouldn't exactly be happy," He saw something break in Sungjoo's eyes and quickly continued. "I wouldn't be happy," he repeated, "but I would be okay because you're still smiling, you're still Sungjoo." He brushed if off like it was nothing, moving his hands to cover Sungjoo's fists.

Sungjoo stared at Yibo for a long time, he didn't like that mindset, he didn't like how Yibo would practically give up his own happiness for his sake. "I don't want you to do that. I don't want you to be just content. I want you to be happy, I want you to be more than happy."

"Sungjoo." Yibo tried to reason but the elder just rambled on.

"I mean it Yibo. I don't want you to be like that anymore. I want you to be more than happy, knowing that you would give up your feelings just so I can be happy isn't right, it's not okay. I just-- I know you love me but you're sacrificing so much for me. I'm scared."

Yibo tilted his head down to look at his lap, Sungjoo's arms were loosely held around his waist but his hands were still tense. He couldn't help but smile a little.

"Kim Sungjoo are you telling me not to love you? You sound like you don't want me to love you." Sungjoo tightened his hold around Yibo shook his head furiously. "I was just teasing, I love you, don't worry." He waited for Sungjoo to calm down.

"I love you Yibo, and I want you to tell me from now on if you don't like something I do. I want you to complain to me about everything wrong, I want you to ask for things. I want you to be happy."

"I'm already happy."

"You may be happy now but what happens when I do something you don't like? What if..." Sungjoo thought for a moment, "What if I'm too busy with college and ignoring you? You would still keep quiet then wouldn't you?" When Yibo nodded Sungjoo sighed again. "That's exactly what I mean, you would be hurting but you wouldn't say anything. I want you to say something Yibo, whatever, whenever, however, I don't care. You need to tell me when something is wrong or else I won't know. I want to help you."

Yibo stayed silent, not knowing what to say.

"What are you thinking right now?" Sungjoo asked, a bit forcefully but Yibo knew he was just worried.

"I'm thinking about what to say" He answered honestly, managing to get Sungjoo to laugh.

"I'm serious Yibo. I want you to be happy, all the time."

Yibo let go of Sungjoo's hands and moved to stand up, lending his hand out for Sungjoo could take. He brought the other up to his feet and led him towards the trail. He still didn't say anything so they were left in a silence.

"What are you thinking now?" Sungjoo asked timidly, the sun was going down and it was getting hard to see the trail. Sungjoo brought his phone out and the flashlight so they wouldn't trip on anything.

"Thinking about..." Yibo started, they finally reached concrete again so Sungjoo turned his flashlight off. They walked a little more and Yibo stopped. Sungjoo didn't know so he almost fell when his arm refused to follow him.

"Yibo?" He backed up and faced the younger. He couldn't see his expression but he felt Yibo's lips on his for the millionth time that day. "What was that for?"

"I was thinking," He continued the answer to Sungjoo's earlier question, "This is so cheesy save me now" They both chuckled before Yibo continued, a little laughter still in his voice. "As long as you like me, and we're like this." He squeezed Sungjoo's hand and the tone in his voice got more serious, "I can't even imagine being sad about anything." Sungjoo smiled and Yibo continued.

"I've never been actually sad about something you've done till you ignored me for someone else. So as long as you like me, I won't be sad about anything." He shrugged and continued walking again.

Sungjoo walked with him for a while longer before remembering the event he was thinking of earlier. "What about when I asked you to do the talent show with me? You didn't like that."

"I didn't, that's true," Yibo said, thinking back to the time, "that was before I liked you, I think."

"You still did it without complaining."

Yibo stayed silent at that, he didn't know what else to say.

"Yibo, promise me you'll talk to me when I'm doing something that's bothering you, please. Is it really that hard to do?" Sungjoo stopped before they could turn the corner to their col de sac, not giving Yibo a chance to run.

"I just... I love you. I can't complain to someone I love." Sungjoo wanted to tell him that he complains to his mother all the time but that wouldn't be true.

'He really doesn't complain to the people he loves.' Sungjoo realized then suddenly he hugged Yibo again.

"Do it for me?" He tried one last time and was shocked by Yibo's answer.

"Fine."