Chapter 6

It's my fault
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MIRAI POV 

 

Ryosuke looked at me silently. I knew, from his eyes, he had something to say to me.

 

"Well, let me leave the two of you alone,"my mother said, leaving after a final look at the both of them.

 

Ryosuke came closer to stand beside my bed. However, he didn't take a seat. If they were any other couple, she'd expect him to give her a kiss on the forehead and ask about her. Or say,  "Thank God you're alright". Instead, he asked,"How are you?" while rubbing the back of his neck. Looking tense.

 

"Fine,"I replied then lowered my head. I didn't want to look into his face. 

 

He finally sat on the chair beside my bed. Did I expect him to take a seat on my bed and hug me? Or hold my hand and talk to me with love in his voice? Of course not.

 

"The day we've been waiting for has pass. Unfortunately, I hated what happened to you and to the twins." Silence after that. He looked like he didn't know what to say or talk about. 

 

"Do you care about this?"I asked. To me, I felt like he didn't care. About me or the twins. What he did care about was his work. So much so that he'd sacrifice me and the twins for it.

 

"Of course I care. I'm here to bear the responsibility,"he said, sounding offended. 

 

"Did you see the children?" I'd like to see them but I've not been released yet. I was sure he wouldn't bother with them or ask about them.

 

"Yes,"he said and I raised my head, looking at him with wonder. "Yes. They are fine. They just need some time." His eyes were had softened, glowing with tenderness and warmth. "You'd like to see them, right?"

 

I was stunned. I didn't know what to say. This was the first time he'd exhibited any gentleness towards me. "Of course I'd like to see them but you know I can't."

 

"Why?"

 

I looked away from him. Felt like the walls were closing in on me. When had all the air been out of this room? Why was my head ringing from not knowing the answer? 

 

Suddenly, I felt his hand grab mine. Looking at him, he said,"Let's go."

 

"Where?"

 

"Aren't you supposed to walk a little? Let me help you."

 

I pondered his request. It was true. I did need to walk. Making my decision, I removed my blanket and, grabbing on to his proffered hand, stood up. Slowly. He helped guide my ascent. Even so, it still hurt. The incisions on my stomach were pulled taut but I persevered. I needed to regain my health. Pausing for a while, I was surprised when he said,"Let

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter