Coral Crushed

Refuge

“Jung.” Jaejoong called.

“Jung Yunho. Look this way.” A smile was creeping on his lips as he stared intently at his phone, its camera focused on Yunho’s back while he was busy chopping mushrooms–and trying to ignore the other man entirely. On his back was a pink ribbon, tying to his body the My Melody apron that Jaejoong had forced him into.

The younger man was wearing a Hello Kitty one, just to be fair.

“Yah. Turn this way already!” Jaejoong demanded, amused at the sight in front of him. Of course, he needed a picture as memento of the apron-wearing officer, but Yunho had his ears mentally plugged.

“Jung.” Silence.

“Yunho.” Nothing, still.

“Waifu Yunni-“

“Could you please stop playing around and get this over with before I eat something else?” Yunho snapped, a loud chop from his knife resounding.

Surprisingly, Jaejoong had stayed in his apartment just as Yunho instructed. He wanted to talk about what he got in the interrogation, but the eccentric man had insisted they prepare lunch before anything else. It was way past lunch time though, and Yunho hadn’t eaten a thing since that ridiculous morning when he woke up semi- beside his client.

“I don’t mind being that something else.” Jaejoong grinned, snapping a pic of Yunho even if it was just from the back. Pocketing his phone, he returns to his station beside the taller man.

“Yah. What are you doing? Stop–stop!” Jaejoong hassled.

“What?” said the impatient Yunho.

“I told you to just roughly chop them, not reduce them to oblivion! Look at this, it looks like shredded wood!” Jaejoong laughed as he took a handful of the finely minced mushrooms from Yunho’s hoard.

Yunho frowned and jerked Jaejoong off. “If you’ve got a problem then do it yourself.”

“Tsk. So stingy.” Jaejoong mumbles as he began preparing the pot to be used for his homemade udon.

“We could’ve just ordered take outs, sir. Why waste time cooking?” Yunho was whiny, just like his empty belly. He glanced at Jaejoong when the retort he expected didn’t come.

“It’s my thanks.” Came Jaejoong’s placid voice, his eyes never leaving his cooking. “For last night.”

“You don’t have to. It’s my job.” Yunho replies, a bit surprised at the sudden lack of playfulness in the usually frivolous man. He sets aside the mutilated mushrooms.

“But you came.” Jaejoong placed the scallions next to Yunho for him to chop next, and chuckles.  “You weren’t the one I was expecting, though.”

Yunho peered at Jaejoong, somehow wanting to see his face because surely, that dry laugh was meant to cover something up. But the man kept his head down, and Yunho had to stop himself from staring.

“If this is your way of thanking me then I don’t see the point of me working.” He places down his knife and begins untying his apron.

“Yah. My body still feels tired from last night. So you help. Ok?” Jaejoong elbows him before he could take the pink cloth off.

“How can you be tired when I did all the-“

Carrying.

Moving.

Grinding.

Memories rushed in, and Yunho gave his all just so he wouldn’t choke on nothing.

“Hm?” Jaejoong blinked as he placed ingredients in the pot.

The taller man began breaking out in cold sweat as he fished for anything to replace his sentence. Of all the times, he had to remember it now? He pushes it behind–all the way back–as if it was just another unfortunate event.

An adversity that needs to be forgotten.

A secret meant to be carried to his grave.

“Ah, almost forgot the chicken stock.” Jaejoong opens the drawer above him, and Yunho never felt so thankful for chickens and the sacrifices they make. Completely forgetting about the matter, Jaejoong spots the canned broth at the top shelf. He stands on his toes and tries to reach the broth, but he was a couple of inches short.

“Damn it.” He curses under his breath.

“Give it up. You won’t reach it. Let me-“

Yunho was too late though, because by the time he went to reach for it himself, Jaejoong’s fingers tips the can over, making it fall right on his head with a clunk.

“Pft. Nice catch.”

“I told you, you can’t re-“ Yunho’s nagging was cut off when he felt gentle fingers touch his forehead.

Jaejoong was staring intently at the reddening skin, absent-mindedly thumbing the sore spot. Yunho froze, and looked down at the preoccupied man, noticing that he was still wearing his clothes that he’d given him that morning—the bland windbreaker looked appealing when wore by hi-

“Perks of being thick-skulled.” Jaejoong laughed, still staring at Yunho’s forehead. “But let me kiss it just to be sure-”

“No.” Yunho pushed Jaejoong’s face away, along with his unwanted thoughts. Jaejoong laughed as he pushed himself closer even though Yunho’s hand was literally covering his entire face.

“Aw, don’t be shy. Papa Joongie will make it feel better!“ Jaejoong teased behind Yunho’s palms, even pulling the cloth on the man’s chest just so he could push himself in.

“Hey! Cut it ou-“

“Jaejoong?”

Their eyes darted to the entrance of the kitchen, freezing Jaejoong in his forceful attempt to kiss Yunho and the latter trying hard to keep his face homo-free.

“Yongwa? What are-“

Before Jaeoong could finish, Yongwa already made his way to Yunho and shoved him off of Jaejoong(though it was actually Jaejoong who was all over Yunho), and quickly grabbing the man by the collar of his shirt.

“Who are you and what are you doing here?” Yongwa demanded.

“Yongwa. Wait I-“

“Jung Yunho. Nice to meet you.” Yunho replied, not in any way fazed by the man’s outburst.

“Are you making a fool out of me–“  

“Stop it Yongwa!” Jaejoong called out when Yongwa raised his fist. It was unnecessary though, for someone like Yunho.

“What’s he doing here, huh? Having fun with other men while I’m away?” He accuses Jaejoong, still not letting go of the slightly taller man.

Oh no, don’t mind me, Yunho wanted to say. Nobody’s having fun with anyone.

Jaejoong’s brows raised, his lips parting into a sarcastic smile. “Coming from you that sounds kind of…”

Ironic.

Sighing, Jaejoong takes off his apron and places it on the counter. “He’s my bodyguard. Let go of him.”

“Bodyguard? You expect me to believe that crap?” Yongwa sneers but releases Yunho anyway.

“I am.” Yunho fixes his crumpled shirt before fishing out his badge and showing it to Yongwa. The man glared at the golden metal then up at Yunho.

Registered Executive Bodyguard.

 

 

 ###

 

To say that the meal was awkward would be an understatement. Yongwa kept glaring at Yunho, but the bodyguard seemed oblivious despite the man’s apparent hostility. Jaejoong was hungry, but couldn’t bring himself to eat at the sight of the two.

“Why the sudden visit? You could’ve called me beforehand so-“

“So your ‘bodyguard’ would have time to hide in the closet?” he beckons to Yunho, whose attention never left his udon.

“I told you, there’s nothing going on between us.”

“Then make him leave.”

Jaejoong glances at Yunho, but the bodyguard looked like he was pretending that he’s not there, or rather, that the dysfunctional couple aren’t.

Yunho was all ears, though.

Jaejoong sighs. “Don’t mind him. Let’s just talk.”

But he knew that Yongwa didn’t come here to talk. It was never about talking whenever they meet.

“What is it.” Yongwa says, obviously uninterested as he began to eat.

“Seohyun knows.”

“What?” came Yongwa’s quick reply, gripping on his chopsticks.

“She knows about us. And she despises me. She’s been sending threats and horrid gifts- “

“Deny it.”

“What?” It was Jaejoong’s turn to gape.

“Deny whatever she accuses. Don’t say anything about us.”

“Are you kidding me right now?” Jaejoong grimaced. “She even sent people to kidnap me last night! If it weren’t for Yunho-“

“I don’t care. Don’t admit anything. Make alibies, lie. It’s not that hard for you. Right?” Yongwa sent a hard stare at Jaejoong before standing up and walking off.

“What are you trying to say? Where are you going?” Jaejoong stood too, watching Yongwa as he headed for the door.

“I’m leaving, you’re pretty occupied anyway.” He threw one last look at Yunho before heading out.

Jaejoong quickly followed, leaving his unfinished meal and Yunho who quietly finished his.

Yongwa was already at the entrance of the building by the time Jaejoong caught up.

“Yongwa, wait!” He grabs him by the hand, but the other quickly brushes him off.

“What?” Yongwa sharply turned.

“When am I gonna see you again?”

“I don’t know. Just don’t call me. I’ve told you so many times but you still keep pestering me with calls. No wonder she’s become suspicious!” He snapped at Jaejoong, the latter flinching in his words.

But she doesn’t have mere suspicions. She knows. If only Yongwa would listen.

“Just wait for my call.” And with that, the actor left.

When Yunho arrived Jaejoong was standing alone in front of the building, unmoving. He waited for Jaejoong, until the cold silence was cut by the sound of his phone ringing.

“What?“ came his harsh greeting.

“I HATE YOU KIM JAEJOONG. DIE!” Jaejoong jumped when the receiver roared at his ears. Even Yunho heard the scream from where he stood.

“What the-“ he checks his phone to see who he was actually talking to. “Junsu? What the hell, are you trying to make me deaf?!”

“Tell me, what day is it today?”

“What kind of question is that? It’s December fiftee–“ His eyes widened. “Oh.”

“DON’T ‘oh’ ME YOU TRAITOR! I was even expecting you to be the first to greet me yet the day’s ending and still nothing! How could you, Jae?” Jaejoong could hear sobs but wasn’t whether it was genuine or not. “How could you forget?”

“I’m sorry, it’s just…I’ve got a lot on me lately, sorry I forgot. Happy Birthday.” Came Jaejoong’s gentle rue, pinching the flesh in between his brows.

“Still not forgiven. See me later and bring the singer then I might.”

“What? You mean that old man? How am I supposed to-” The call ended before Jaejoong could protest. He groans, walking back to the building and passes by Yunho at the entrance.

“Let’s go.”

 

###

 

 

Little by little, Yunho was beginning to understand what kind of relationship Yongwa and Jaejoong has, and why the subject was sensitive to Jaejoong.

Jaejoong didn’t need to try so hard to hide it from him, though. It’s not like he’d sell for a hundred bucks the scoop that Yongwa, a rising actor, is cheating on his girlfriend, with a man, to top it all.

He isn’t homophobic like Jaejoong accused, no. He is an open-minded, liberated and understanding guy.

What he couldn’t understand, though, was how he ended up in this noisy, jam-packed club where, at his first visit, swore to never return again. Jaejoong led the way through the busy floor, looking for his friend named Junsu. Yunho followed, occasionally bumping into strangers, or rather, strangers purposely bumping into him.

He couldn’t understand why he’s seeing men in inappropriate clothing more than he had ever seen women in—fake lashes, powdered beards and short, tight fitting skirts on beefy, unshaved legs.

He’s not disgusted nor scared, no. He’s cool.

Yunho’s cool.

Until he felt a pat on his rear, with the hand even granting itself a squeeze. Yunho jumped, quickly turning around to look for whoever had the guts to play with him.

“What the he-“ but his tongue got caught when he realized that he was looking at a man inches taller, and pounds heavier than him, wearing a blonde wig and some frilly dress that looked pitifully small for his buffed body.

Yunho was slightly disturbed.

Until the skirt-wearing-man batted his eyelash, gave an inviting wink and then blew him a Coral Crush kiss.

Now, Yunho was shamefully terrified.

He backs up, and quickly turns to break free from the crowd, but clashes with a woman that was in a hurry as he is. She tumbles down the floor being a bit frail compared to Yunho.

“Hey watch where you’re going, idiot!“

Yunho quickly held out his hand to help the woman up. “I’m sorry. Are you ok?”

The woman looks up at Yunho, and he would be lying if he said that the she wasn’t beautiful. In fact, she’s one of the most beautiful Yunho had ever seen–with her long, brown hair, flawless skin, cat eyes and sharp nose, he couldn’t help but feel grateful. Grateful because finally his eyes landed on a beauty other than the man he’s working for.

Not that he thinks Jaejoong is one. Of course not.

This was, finally, a real woman.

She accepts his hand as they both stood up and quickly fixes her crumpled skirt and disheveled hair.

“I’m sorry I-“ Yunho began, but was cut by Jaejoong squeezing through the crowd and in between them.

“SuSu!” Jaejoong hugs the woman.

“Joongie?” and with that the two hugged. Yunho's eyebrows furrowed, mentally checking if he missed something.

She's called SuSu?

A nickname for Junsu?

But Junsu’s a man.

Wait…

What?

 

 

A/N : I'm sorry it took so long before I had the chance to update >_< Thank you very much for reading and staying tuned. And belated Happy 12th Anniv to our boys :)