Coincidental meetings and Pleasant Surprises

The Different Us (Two sides of the same coin)

The Streets of Seoul came to life this night, Chuseok, the much awaited holiday this season was finally there. It was colorful and full of life, both the sky and the people beneath it. While everyone had their own plans tonight with their Friends, Family, Boyfriends and Girlfriends, Jongin on the other hand did not feel compelled to attend any of these.

Though he was missing his Family a lot which included Meonguu his cute dog, he did not want to meet his group of nagging relatives who somehow seem more interested in his life rather than theirs, so he decided to rather go and visit his Family at a peaceful night than tonight. Instead of going home, he decided on visiting some other place this day where he would be needed and appreciated.

So, that’s how he ended up spending his Chuseok at the Smile Orphanage for elders and Kids. He was a regular at this place as he visits often whenever time permitted. Jongin loved to look at the kids smiling and playing brightly, the grannies and grandpas playing Go stop and Baduk and the Ajummas and Ahjussis bickering cutely over the TV channels. Whenever he missed his family, this place was always endearing to his heart. But what he did not know was that he was not the only person who felt so.

“Jongin hyung, we love you, Thanks for all the cool gifts” said Taeoh showing his pearly white teeth and closed eye smile in the middle of playground. Taeoh was an 8 year old kid at Smile Orphanage, who was very active, loving and caring. He was jongin’s absolute favorite along with Minha. Sometimes, Jongin would wonder how their parents even had heart to leave such heartwarming kids who are extremely mischievous and then act as mature as an adult when needed.

Jongin then started whispering to Taeoh “Glad you like it Teo, I got them special just for you”. Teo pouted saying “Hyung, Don’t lie to me. I know you spent more time finding minha’s gift”. Minha was a 7 years old cute little girl who had a frenemy relationship with Teo, they both always fight with each other but stick closely when someone from outside tries to come in between them.

Jongin found Teo’s pout adorable and started pinching his cheeks when he heard min ha searching for him. Minha was yelling at Jongin “Oppa, I was searching for you everywhere, why are you here with teo. Come soon, Karaoke is gonna start now and I want to hear Oppa sing a song for me”.

Jongin started laughing “Who? Me, sing, Minha yah, Oppa will sing and dance for you separately, you go and sing with your friends now”. Upon hearing this, Minha started whining “Oppa, you know I can’t sing, kids tease me for that, I will grow up and become an actress as I am pretty, so you should sing a song for me. Remember you promised me last time and Good people will always keep their promises”

Jongin started laughing loud once he heard this and said “Okay, I lose. Who can win against Uri pretty princess Minha, let’s go. Instead, promise me that you’ll become Korea’s greatest actress and marry me later. Kai oppa will support you.” Minha was extremely pleased with this and held out her pinky finger for sealing her promise with Jongin and then started dragging him towards Karaoke room. Meanwhile teo was pouting in the back and followed them closely.

Once they were near the room, Jongin heard a girl’s clear and astounding voice singing a trot song. Even though the song was really old, her voice was young and cheerful. As soon as he entered the room, Teo pushed Minha and Jongin aside running and screaming at the same time” Eunji noona started singing already. Noona jangg!, Noona chego!, Saranghe noona”. Kai was surprised to see such an excited Teo as he was happier than receiving gifts and so out of curiosity he looked in the direction of the girl.

There she was, Jung Eunji singing and dancing gochu ‘a trot song’ to all the elders delight. The grannies, ajummas and ahjussis were having a treat with her performance and there he was, Kim Jongin, just standing still and staring at her in surprise. Somehow between all the singing and dancing, the song came to an end, but Jongin couldn’t take his eyes off her for god knows whatever was the reason. In the same time, teo was already in the stage with Eunji, hugging and kissing her cheeks saying” Noona you are my best gift ever”.

While Jongin was in his own world, Mrs. Lee, the Ajumma who hosted the karaoke event was looking for a guy volunteer to perform a couple song with Eunji and teo was shouting ”Me, Me, I wanna sing a song with my Eunji noona”. Finally, it was decided to choose the partner through random spotlight selection and hence the lights were switched off suddenly and the spotlight kept moving from person to person.

Kai suddenly regained his consciousness once it turned dark and was wondering what the hell was happening there when a sudden light hit his face. He stood there trying to get adjusted to the light in his eyes, when Mrs. Lee announced “Here we have the chosen one to be Eunji’ s partner, Kim Jongin si , Jongin si, please come on stage and join Eunji for our next song”.

Both Eunji and Kai were left dumbfounded with her being shocked more as she saw him for the first time today at this place. Without his knowledge, Kai was already pushed to the stage and he was standing very close to Eunji. He could hear her anxious breath and the crowd constantly cheering them asking to sing. So, with a smile and smirk on his face he went ”let’s give it a try, Shall we?” and Eunji’s mind just went blank but at the exact moment her head nodded unknowingly and the BGM started to play.