The Runaway Groom

Straight as a ruler

Yixing’s aware of Baekhyun and Sehun staring from him to Joonmyun in shock. He’s also aware of customers in the café starting to stare at him and whispering to each other. He’s not aware that Kyungsoo’s there until he feels him being pushed towards Joonmyun.

Snapping out of his shock, Yixing quickly walks out from behind the counter and towards Joonmyun, grabbing his wrist and pulling him towards the staff room in the back. Once inside, Yixing lets go of his wrist and steps away from him, keeping a sizeable gap between them.

“What… what are you doing here?”

Joonmyun smiles at him, laughs. “Isn’t it obvious?”

Yixing take this moment to get a good look at him. He still looks as tired as he did the last time they saw each other, but he definitely looks happier and much more relaxed. The suit looks good on him, looks really good, and Yixing wonders if it’s a better fit than the previous suit he had worn. What catches his attention the most, though, is the lack of a ring on his marriage finger. 

“I need you to tell me” he replies in a whisper, trying to not let his nerves get the better of him.

There’s still the gap between them as Joonmyun nods his head and slowly inches closer, carefully thinking of what he wanted to say next. “Well, there’s this really cheesy opinion that two people should only get married if they love each other. I think a couple of the guests could definitely tell that this was not one of those marriages.”

Laughing a little, he inches closer, this time slowly reaching for Yixing’s hand. When Yixing doesn’t flinch away, Joonmyun holds his hand, lightly his knuckles with his thumb. “Soojung didn’t want to get married. She was already in love with her boyfriend, and I wanted her to be happy. Besides, I knew I could never marry her, because like Soojung, I was already in love with somebody else.”

Yixing looks at Joonmyun with a mixture of shock and doubt. Joonmyun doesn’t look doubtful, however. In fact, he looks so sure of what he’s saying, holding onto Yixing’s hand even tighter when he feels it slip.

“Joonmyun… I…”

“You don’t have to feel the same way” Joonmyun hurries to clarify. “I just wanted you to know. I know it’s too early in… whatever we have, but it was what pushed me to stand up to my parents and stop this from happening. You were right, I was afraid of my parents.”

“You stopped a wedding they wanted, whether you were happy or not. That sounds pretty brave to me” Yixing replies quietly, making both of them laugh.

Yixing still doesn’t want to believe this was happening. Joonmyun had actually stopped a wedding and come straight to the café, still in his suit, just to see him? This was something that was only supposed to happen in the movies!

“I know when I said it last time I broke the promise instantly, but this time I really promise I’m not going anywhere. If you’ll take me back, this is it. Nobody will get in the way. I’ll fight for this.”

Yixing smiles, swallowing back the tears that threatened to fall. Joonmyun didn’t have to say any of this. Yixing had made up his mind the second he had seen him stood by the entrance.

“Oh my God, just kiss him already!”

Both of them turn towards the voice to see Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, Sehun, and Jongdae who had since arrived stood outside the office, all bunched together and looking in through the small window on the door. Baekhyun looks close to crying and though Kyungsoo wouldn’t admit it, he does too. Turning away from his friends, Yixing grabs Joonmyun’s jacket, pulling him in for a kiss as the others cheer in the background.

Yixing’s not ready to tell Joonmyun he loves him back, not yet anyway. He is ready to stick around and fight this time though, especially if Joonmyun was going to fight his parents to make this work. That didn’t matter at the minute. What mattered for Yixing was getting to hold Joonmyun again, to kiss him again, to not have to worry that he was going to lose Joonmyun again. Everything about this felt right and that was the way it’s supposed to be.

 

 

“Calm down. Everything is fine.”

“Calm down? I am calm. Why would I need to be even calmer than I already am?”

“Yixing, your palm is sweating.”

Yixing pulls his hand away from Joonmyun’s with a disgusted look on his face, wiping his hand against his jacket. Joonmyun laughs and, ignoring his protests, holds Yixing’s hand as they continue walking down the road and towards the restaurant.

Yixing didn’t know why he was so nervous. It was just lunch with an old friend, something nice and easy. But then Joonmyun leads them towards the table where they find Soojung with her boyfriend and Yixing’s nerves explode the closer they get. Joonmyun lets go of his hand to hug Soojung and finally meet her boyfriend. Yixing feels so out of place; the first time they had met, she wasn’t exactly the most liked person Yixing knew. That no longer mattered, because when Soojung saw Yixing, she smiled widely at him and hugged him tightly.

“Thank you” she whispers to him, and Yixing hugs her back just as tight.

The rest of lunch is spent with the four of them laughing loudly, enjoying their time together. Yixing and Soojung speak extensively to each other, with Soojung tell him her own version of what happened on the day of the wedding, laughing at Joonmyun’s actions. Watching Soojung and Joonmyun tease and laugh at each other, Yixing was glad that both of them finally got the chance to be truly happy.

“Wanna come back to mine tonight? I know we ate a lot, but I’m thinking popcorn and Netflix” Yixing offers, he and Joonmyun waving goodbye to Soojung before heading down the road.

“I would love to, but I have to get up for work in the morning” Joonmyun groans as Yixing takes his hand and pulls him close.

“Then don’t go. Call in sick, and I’ll call in sick so we can have the day to ourselves… I’ll even let you borrow some of my pyjamas.”

Joonmyun rolls his eyes, playfully nudging Yixing away. He could never refuse Yixing, and quickly caves in to his offer as they hurry down the road and back to Yixing’s apartment. Thinking back on everything that had happened, Joonmyun was glad that Soojung had jilted him in the first place. Yixing was just glad he stuck around and finally got to call Joonmyun his. They were both happy, and neither would have it any other way.