Consequences

Straight as a ruler

Thinking that he was going to get married, Joonmyun had left all forms communication at his place and hadn’t touched it since the previous morning. It was supposed to be his wedding day, bringing his phone with him and spending the ceremony and evening reception texting or making phone calls wasn’t exactly practical.

It hardly surprises him when he eventually checks his answering machine and phone to find countless text messages and voice mails from concerned family members asking where he was, whether he was okay. He answers most of them and asks that those he has contacted passes the message on so he doesn’t have to keep repeating himself. Slumped in his seat on his fourth glass of water, there’s one more voice message Joonmyun has to get through and then he can spend the rest of the day trying to get over his hangover and figuring out where to move on from there.

No doubt after the hype of his fiancé jilting him died down gossip would arise. It wasn’t everyday someone his family knew got jilted at the altar and Joonmyun knew he was going to be the centre of this gossip for a while. How was he supposed to move on from this? This was meant to be the start of the rest of his life; the dream of settling down, starting a family, putting those stupid rumours that have plagued his life so far to rest. He just felt so lost.

“Yo Joonmyun it’s me” begins Jongdae’s voicemail “I was gonna start by asking how you’re feeling though after everything that had happened yesterday I can only imagine. This is why I’m coming over to cheer you up and get you out of the house! There’s no way I’m letting you stay inside to wallow in self-pity, got it? Cool! I’ll be over at eleven”

“Eleven?”

Looking at the time on his phone, Joonmyun only had five minutes left. That was no time to get himself out of Yixing’s clothes and at least try to fool Jongdae into thinking he wasn’t suffering with the hangover from hell!

Amidst his panicking, Jongdae arrives dead on eleven like he said. Being as close as they were, there was no need for him to knock and instead he walks straight into the place, met with Joonmyun staring at him from his place on the sofa with wide eyes and panic written across his face. There’s a few minutes of silence in which Jongdae takes in his cousin’s appearance, his eyes narrowing.

“You got yourself drunk last night” he accuses

“N-no! No I didn’t!” Joonmyun lies

“You’re a horrible liar Joonmyun don’t even try it” Jongdae says straight away “And have you looked at yourself in the mirror? It’s obvious you’re suffering from a hangover”

Joonmyun was also horrible at trying to argue a point and sticking to it. There’s no way he’ll be able to convince Jongdae of anything now.

“What did I tell you?” Jongdae asks “I told you not to go get drunk, you even promised me!”

“W-well can you blame me? How about you get jilted at the altar and tell me you wouldn’t go drinking like that” Joonmyun argues

“Don’t pull something like on me! I’m just saying because you’re usually a really bad drunk and you know it! I’m actually surprised you got home in one peace!”

Ah… that. How was Joonmyun supposed to explain to Jongdae that he spent the night at Yixing’s house who he had only met hours before? The guy was more like a nagging mum than cousin the majority of the time and it drove Joonmyun mad!

“What? What’s wrong?” Jongdae asks

“Well… I didn’t exactly come home last night” Joonmyun replies, his response having Jongdae glare at him and he could have sworn he saw an eyebrow twitch

“Excuse me?”

Joonmyun quickly explains to Jongdae what he remembers from last night that led to the events of this morning. He also spends that time dodging and blocking Jongdae when his cousin tries many times to slap him for being “so careless and absolutely stupid”.

“And this Yixing, he didn’t try anything on you, right?” Jongdae asks

“Of course not! The only time he had to touch me was getting my suit off because it was covered in puke” Joonmyun replies “Besides, he was very polite and actually quite cu-“ for some reason he wants to say that Yixing is cute, but he doesn’t allow it to escape his lips “He was very considerate. He actually walked me here to make sure I got back safely”

Satisfied that Joonmyun was telling the truth, Jongdae moves to slap him one more time for good measure, this time succeeding.

“Now go get dressed, I’m not letting you sit in here and get… depressed or something over that wedding. It wasn’t even a marriage you asked for anyway, so get up, freshen up, I’m taking you out for the day”

“And where do you plan on taking me that’s sure to cheer me up?” Joonmyun asks

“Well, it’s a nice day so we can go for walks, try out some market stall foods, do some window shopping. The possibilities are endless my dear Kim”

Joonmyun rolls his eyes over how corny his comment was, but the idea of getting out and perhaps trying to walk of the hangover appealed to him more than staying inside curled up in bed for the remainder of the day. Getting up from his seat, he moves towards his room before stopping short of the clock hanging up on the wall, groaning.

“What’s wrong now?” Jongdae asks

“We would have been on our way to Bali by now”  

Jongdae pushes Joonmyun towards his bedroom before he can begin moping. He’s not going to spend his whole day having Joonmyun mope and whine about a wedding that never happened, even if he had to slap it out of Joonmyun!

 

 

“Are you seriously that upset over a guy you only met last night?”

Since Yixing’s story of letting a drunken Joonmyun stay over during the night, Kyungsoo had had to put up with him whining and groaning over a wasted opportunity. It wasn’t like it didn’t annoy him so much- there had been many occasions where Kyungsoo was the one whining and groaning- but seeing him get so upset like this over a man he had just met and cared for over a few hours was deeply concerning.

“But he was perfect!” Yixing whines “Everything I could have ever possibly wanted in a guy was in him!”

“You took him back to your place because he was drunk and spent just under an hour with him this morning. How could you possibly know from that he was Mr Perfect?” Kyungsoo asks

“I could feel it” Yixing replies seriously, but this only makes Kyungsoo snort

“Please don’t tell me you’re referring this to love at first sight? Are you trying to make me gag?”

Having enough of Yixing for one morning, Kyungsoo sends him on his break early. There’s still some time before the lunch rush kicks in so he’s able to run the place by himself with no problems. That and it gives him some privacy to laugh over Yixing’s words.

“He could feel it” he mutters to himself “What does that even mean?”  

Muttering to himself, a customer walks into the shop and takes a look around. Kyungsoo doesn’t recognise him, he’s probably new to the place seeing as he takes his time to look around and study the menu. Waiting for him to offer gives Kyungsoo the opportunity to study him; he looks younger than him, slightly tanned and when he makes eye contact Kyungsoo’s not afraid to admit that his smile is pretty dazzling.

“Everything on the menu looks so good I don’t know what to choose, you’ll have to surprise me”

He may admit that the guy has a pretty good smile, but Kyungsoo will never admit to anybody that he stumbled and stuttered trying to get the guy something good to eat. If Yixing found out, he would never let him live it down…


Yo, yo, yo!

I literally powered through this chapter where we see the beginning of Joonmyun trying to move on from being jilted and what's going to happen if the buzz doesn't die down, Yixing whining because Joonmyun was perfect yet- judging by the face he was gonna get married- thinks he's straight, and finally Kyungsoo and Jongdae... I'm gonna enjoy writing my side characters I can feel it!

ALSO! Updates for this over the next few weeks will be sporadic. I know we're only three chapters in but I'm starting uni and moving away from home, freshers week, settling down etc. is going to take up a lot of time. Please be patient! I'll be back to update ASAP!

Until the next chapter!