Such a small world .

Snowflower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 


20 years later , unknown pov :



My mind started playing various  tragic  scenarios as soon as we got reported an accident ..


It's never easy for us ,  doctors .


Watching people die before our eyes , It's the worst feeling in the world .  

What's even worse is having to deliver the death of someone to his family and loved ones knowing we could have saved them .


Even when we say " we did all we could but that is the quirk of  fate " , we still feel guilt pulling on  our heart strings ..


Maybe if we were faster ,  we would have been able to save them ..


That is why we have always dreaded hearing the word " accident "

It triggers too much.

Doctors experience many losses in their everyday life with each time they fail to save a person's  life ..  

That night was no exception ,   I still despised that word But I never knew it would not only be tragic but also personally related to me .




The Sound of ambulance and nurses shouting got forever engraved in my head even though I should have gotten used to it .


I stood paralyzed as the bodies on the stretcher arrived and the paramedics frowned .


They couldn't save the wife ..

I watched in horror as I recognized her and then cold sweat trickled down my face as my gaze traveled towards my friend and his daughter who were holding on a thin line of life .

 



" No !  "


I heard the nurses calling my name pleading me to make it inside the emergency room that instant.


My friend and his daughter were lucky to survive ..  but one thing kept haunting me .



How in the world was I supposed to deliver such news to him ?

I was  still in shock she actually didn't make it alive.

I live in a small city , a two hours drive from Seoul and that day .

we were supposed to meet but not like that.


Not with him lying lifelessly on a stretcher .
 

It was few days later when my friend regained conscious and nothing made me feel as terrible as the moment he did not recognize me .

I thought he was still under shock so I asked him if he had known about his baby daughter's condition but he stared at me blankly before widening his eyes in disbelief confirming he really did lose his memories.


" I have a baby ? "
He choked the words out.

" yes ?  Byunghun ..  Do you really not recall anything  ? It's me , Niel  . "


He slowly shook his head darting  his eyes here and there as if trying to remember.

In his health state , I couldn't really inform him about his wife .
 

 

 

 

 


Meanwhile :  Another room :  

 


" Hello ,  Haena .  Right ? " Greeted another doctor .

The little girl nodded before squinting her eyes in disbelief.
" Why do you look like mum ? "

The doctor raised his eyebrows in surprise and sent a brief look towards the nurse who parted her lips to say something but obviously couldn't do so in front of the little girl so motioned for the doctor to meet her outside .


Once they got out of the room ,  the nurse led the way to the reception where she asked for the husband's wallet.


" I think you may need to see this , Dr lee .  "

Said the nurse As she handed the wallet to him.


The doctor explored the wallet ,  narrowing his eyes at the couple picture he found.


The wife sure did look like him and the husband ..
 

The husband had a very familiar vibe .

He also had two moles under his right eye .

DR lee nearly felt his heart stop at that but he knew better .
He shouldn't jump to conclusions .


So he checked the ID .

Name : Lee Byunghun.
Birth date : 23 November ,  1993  .
 


Now Chanhee felt like an earthquake and thunderstorm rumbled about his being .


Byunghun ??  

He married , gave birth to  a daughter and now ..  The accident..


His childhood love ..

 


" Dr lee ?  You okay ? "
Asked the nurse ,  concern coating her tone.


Chanhee gulped blinking few times before willing himself a weak smile ensuring her he was fine when he was far from that.



He had to talk to Dr Ahn .



With that in mind ,  he rushed to the room where Niel and now " Byunghun " was but the doorknob twisted open and he almost bumped into Niel .


What ensued was Chanhee dragging Niel to a safe and private area.



" Niel ??  " Chanhee panted heavily .


" what's gotten into you ??  " Asked the other ,  feeling confused by Chanhee's actions.

Niel watched as Chanhee's eyes darted everywhere and he stuttered incoherent words ..



" I .. CAN'T believe  he .. he ..  my childhood ..  here ..  And married ..  A Daughter ??  "


" Chanhee ? You are seriously  freaking me out ! what do you mean ? "
Asked Niel as he gripped Chanhee's shoulders tightly  .


" Look at me !  Take a deep breath. "

Chanhee complied before saying " remember my childhood love ? the one I told you about . "


" yea ? " Replied Niel ,  still confused.


" I never told you his name ..  Lee Byunghun. "


For a moment ,  Niel went blank before he gasped and widened his eyes .

" What ??! " He shrieked.
 

 

 



 

 

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter