Childhood

Snowflower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Their new neighbors have just arrived .

He could tell as soon as he heard the sound of a car down there .

 

It was a cold November day with the  snow covering every inch , branch and door step .

 

5 years old Chanhee was looking through the window of his room , unamused , until he noticed a tiny figure getting out of the car parked in front of the house adjoining his .


 

His lit up and sparkled with joy , his hands that once supported his face now fell down in surprise as his face split into a wide smile .

 

The little boy bounced his way out of the room and downstairs , flailing his arms excitedly as soon as he glimpsed  his mother .

 

“ Mum ! Mum ! “ He jovially  called causing her to giggle and kneel to his height level before asking  

 

“ yea , sweetie ? “

 

“ They have a kid ! “ He exclaimed barely containing his squeal .

 

“ yes , they do ~ No more boredom or loneliness for little Chanhee . “ The mother sang as she pinched her son’s cheeks softly and stood up again .


 

Little did she know , Chanhee wanted to meet his new friend immediately .


 

“ Mum , Can I go there ? “

Chanhee flashed his puppy eyes hoping his mother would agree but she smiled a lopsided one at him indicating he couldn’t .



 

“ We are gonna visit them tomorrow any ways , Chanhee . Look ! They just moved in and need to rest . “

The mother explained as she promised they would go there the following day but Chanhee did not understand .


 

He pouted and settled for another type of fun .

The beautiful snow was tempting him to go out and play so he did just that .

 

But still wished he could meet the new kid .

 

surprisingly , when he made it outside  (  in the front garden ) , his gaze happened to fall on the right where he noticed the same kid sitting on the ground of his house’ garden , playing with snow probably building a snowman .


 

Chanhee’s frown completely dissipated , replaced with a wide grin before he called “ Hey “

But the other kid didn’t seem to notice it so Chanhee thought of something .

He grabbed some snow shaping it into a small snowball before throwing it towards the other .

 

the snowball hit the snowman which eventually got ruined right in front of the kid’s eyes .

 

Chanhee closed an eye and gasped a soft “ oops “ as he watched the other kid‘s face change from surprise into shock then a frown which turned into a pout then sobs .

 

In an instant , Chanhee dashed towards the other and patted his back .

 

“ Hey ? Why are you crying ? ”  

 

The tiny boy rubbed his eyes frantically and raised his head allowing Chanhee a close up of his features .

 

Big Almond brown eyes that had two moles under the right one  , soft and fluffy brown hair on top of which he wore a red beanie  and lastly petite pouty lips that gew pink along with his cheeks and the tip of his nose because of the cold .

 

“ M ..  My snowman . “  He said pointing to the left over that was once a snowman under construction .

 

“ Oh .. It got ruined ? It’s ok though . We can build a new one . I’m Chanhee and live next to your house , there . “  Blabbered Chanhee as he turned around and pointed towards his own house .

 

“ Channie ? “  Whispered the  little boy but Chanhee heard it .

 

“ Eh ? No . Chan hee ~ “ Said Chanhee as he stressed every letter teaching the other how to pronounce it .

 

“ Chan nie ? “  He tilted his head ending up with the same answer  making Chanhee chuckle and decide to just let it be .


 

“ Ok .  You can call me Channie . what’s  your name ? “

 

“ Byunghun . “ The little boy’s infant tongue couldn’t even pronounce his own name correctly so he ended up spelling it individually .

 

“ B Y U N G H U N . “  

 

Chanhee nodded as he eyed Byunghun’s lips intently reading it .

 

“ Aha ! Byunghun ~ “ He sang , truly happy that he finally got the other’s name .

 

“ Now let’s save your snowman ~ “ Said Chanhee as he pumped his fist in the air .



 

 

~ ♦ ~

 




 

Few days later , Byunghun’s parents asked if they could leave their child with their neighbors since they were  gonna be out of town for a couple of days .

 

Chanhee’s parents happily agreed and welcomed little Byunghun knowing how much joy their own son would feel to have his new friend stay over for few days .

 

A schedule has been planned for the two little kids .

 

First day , they were gonna visit the park !

 

In such day , Chanhee found out that Byunghun is scared of heights .

 

There was this game where they had to jump but Byunghun clung to his position refusing to jump .

 

“ Hey , Byunghun . don’t worry , I will catch you . I promise . “

Said Chanhee , already stretching his arms as if he were the knight in shining armor who would protect little Byunghun .

 

It took him some more encouragements before Chanhee finally convinced Byunghun to jump .

 

The younger squeezed his eyes shut and jumped resulting in both of them falling backwards and an injured knee for Chanhee .

 

As soon as the knight let out a small groan , Byunghun willed his tiny frame up and gasped noticing the scratch there .

 

“ Channie ! I’m sorry ! “ wept Byunghun as he rubbed his  eyes and even though it did hurt , Chanhee smiled masking the pain just to make the other stop crying .


 

How brave of him , you would think .


 

the moment they got back home , Chanhee was spilling hot tears as his mum put disinfectant over the injury .


 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter