Friends

Royal Blood

As I walked down the stairs lazily, I heard two voices whispering.

“Ahh, so our Jiyeon really is engaged to Park Chanyeol? They will look so cute together. Can you imagine the babies?” 

“Aish, slow down. I told you about the scandal that happened at the party. Miss Lee strongly dislikes Chanyeol. They said he took her to a suite and went back to the ballroom alone and furious. What could have happened between them? He even took another girl to a room.”

“Oh, I thought Park Chanyeol was such a nice and courteous boy. Are you sure about that other girl?”

“Yes. Jiyeon must have gone crazy when she found out. She even flirted with Senior Kim’s son, Kai. If only they could become friends, or if they could grow to love each other—“

“Ahhh what a wonderful sunny day, don’t you think ladies?” I jumped in front of them because I couldn’t hear it anymore. The maids’ faces went pale.

“Oh, Miss Lee. We are so sorry—“One of them tried to apologize but I interrupted her.

“Naah, no worries.  People already started gossiping about this. Aish, this will go on for a while. Anyway, is my lunch ready? I’m starving!” I spoke as I faked a smile.

“Almost ready miss Lee. But please forgive us we won’t talk about this subject ever again. We don’t want to lose our jobs please—“

“Aishh stop. Just get lunch ready.” I demanded and they apologized again before leaving for the kitchen.

“I will go insane if I stay inside, but first I have to face the old man.” I mumbled, heading to my grandfather’s office. I knocked at the door and went inside.

“Lee Jiyeon, you’re awake. Your mother announced me that you will come. Sit and speak, I don’t have much time.” My grandfather said while he was looking through some documents.

“I will just skip right to the subject. Why am I engaged to Park Chanyeol?” I asked courageously, not letting my head down.

“Well since your mother ran away from her true path, someone must take the responsibility, right? And Jiyeon, you will thank me later.” He responded as he was still focused on the paperwork.

“But she’s back. Can’t she be the heiress again? What’s with our family and Chanyeol’s? What’s wrong with my dad’s clan?” I insisted and he still didn’t look at me.

“Your questions don’t exactly have an answer. This is how big businesses work here, so forget all the American habits. Here, wealthy families are marrying their inheritors to other rich clans’ inheritors so the affairs will only grow. I’ve been doing business with Chan’s grandfather since the very start. If your mother wouldn’t have been so reckless things would be much easier for you at this moment.” He responded calmly.

“Are money more important than your children’s happiness? How can you force your own child to just marry someone? We are human beings we need to love in order to—“

“Stop, stop, love is an illusion. I have “loved” a woman once too, but a bright future is more important, so I had to marry your grandmother. That love of yours is delicate and it can leave you destitute and needy in a second. So wake up and answer your own little stupid questions.” He stopped doing his paperwork and finally looked at me. My grandfather was an insensitive and cold-hearted man. His unkind actions and words said it all. He seemed to be the type of person who would sacrifice anything for money. 

“Thank you for your time and answers. I will be heading out now.” I bowed and walked to the door.

“Ah, Jiyeon! I forgot to mention that Chan will pick you up later. I heard that yesterday’s after party was a disaster. Avoid that kind of incidents and show him some respect, he will become your husband after all. If you put some effort in it I am sure that you will become great friends.” He spoke fast before letting his attention absorbed by the documents again. “You may leave now.”

I closed the door behind me and pressed my back against it, breathing heavily. Now I really had to break off the engagement. I went upstairs to my room and slammed the door violently. I turned my laptop on and accessed Twitter. Scrolling down I saw all the tweets from my old classmates and my favorite celebrities, not following many persons. I let out a sight and typed in frustration.

“I never thought that life could be so unpredictable and surprising, in such a bad way.” I tweeted. After a few moments I noticed that someone replied to my tweet and it was one of my old classmates.

“Oh, poor you, babe. We kinda miss you. How’s it going there?” As I read Angela’s reply, a wave of nostalgia swept me over. The people that I had around in the US, I couldn’t really call them “friends”, I was hanging out a lot with them but that was all. I was barely truly attached to any of them. Perhaps because I never let people get too close to me. I have always protected myself, but now, here in Seoul things might change, and I really don’t want that. Actually, no matter how much I try to resist, things had already started to change. When I was about to reply I noticed that I also got a direct message. I rarely receive one. As I opened it my heart skipped a beat. Park Chanyeol.

“What the…? H-how does he know my Twitter username and h-how does he know that I am online?” I stuttered and looked around, panicking. I received the message about 5 minutes ago. 

“What do you want? And how did you get my username?” I typed nervously. He responded seconds later.

“Our parents spoke, and your mother wanted to give me your number but I preferred to contact you on a social website rather than call you or simply text you, so she told me that you activate a lot on Twitter. You’re starting to freak out again, aren’t you?” 

“Aish, you just won’t stay away. My grandfather told me that I have to meet up with you later.” I typed fast. Ugh, can’t I just get rid of him? I needed to make up an excuse. Things between us would be just too weird after yesterday’s events.

“Yeah unfortunately I gotta see that pretty face of yours again. You can’t get rid of me babe ;)” He replied. Did he just read my mind? He’s flirting again, and my insides are going to explode. Another DM arrived.

“Get ready it’s just the two of us today. Also leave your number here. Imma pick you up soon. x” Aish, he’s driving me insane. How do I escape this? I couldn’t contact Chaerin because I didn’t have her phone number. Ugh silly me, how could I not save her number? 

I went inside my large wardrobe and chose a black leather jacket that would suit perfectly with my t-shirt, skinny jeans and converse. I grabbed a bag and my sunglasses, turned off the laptop and went downstairs silently. 

“Miss Lee Jiyeon, there you are! Your dishes are ready, you may come take a seat and serve lunch.” I heard one of the maids say as I was on my way to the door to get out of that house. 

“Ahh I’m not hungry anymore. Something came up and I have to run. You should go eat it instead.” I spoke fast, opening the door and leaving the mansion before she could reply.

“Please don’t come out. Please don’t come out.” I prayed as I headed quickly to the gate. Stepping out of my family’s territory, I let out a desperate sight.

As I walked along the high and solid fence that surrounded my grandparents’ area, an expensive automobile was now behind me. Rushing my steps to get to the bus station that wasn’t positioned too close from home, I tried to believe that the car wasn’t following me. But it was just too obvious, yeah. I got busted.

“For how long do I have to keep following you around so you would stop walking and face life?” I heard his voice behind me. Yup. HIS voice. I spun around to see Chanyeol inside the automobile on the backseat. 

“Where are you heading to, anyway? Get in.”

“What are you doing here?” I asked, biting my lip.

“I told you I was going to pick you up. I’m fast, I know eh.” He spoke, smiling. Without any reply, I began walking as I searched the bag for my earphones. 

“AISH, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?” He yelled, getting out of the car. “What am I going to do with you? I’ve never seen anyone as stubborn as you. You’re getting on my nerves. You think you’re funny? Playing hard to get and all of the things you do and say? Princess, you can’t run away from your destiny.” He spoke furiously as he grabbed me by my wrist to stop me.

“Let go.” I ordered, releasing my wrist with the other hard. 

“Yes, I took that girl to a room last night. And to your surprise, nothing happened. Nothing! Want to know why?” He burst out when I was about to turn around and leave. Before I could say something, I was pressed against the brick-wall. 

“Chanyeol…” I mumbled softly as I started to blush. 

“There is something about you that keeps me close. I don’t care how stupid and lame I sound, but you’re slowly putting a spell on me. I wanted to use that girl to prove to myself the fact that I didn’t care what could have happened between us in that suite. I couldn’t slip my tongue inside because I felt guilty. I just needed you to know that I haven’t done anything with her. I’m sorry for insisting, I shouldn’t have hit Kai.” He explained and gently pushed himself away from me, and my face. Ugh, is he backing down? 

“So get inside and let’s pretend that yesterday didn’t happen. I will behave myself. Let’s try and become friends. Let’s get married and fulfill our clans’ dream. Someday we will own everything and we can just get a divorce or something, we will sort it out.” He assured me and reached for my hand. “Trust me and let’s have some fun. I bet your grandfather told you that you should avoid incidents like yesterday.”

“Fine. I will give you another chance, so don’t waste it.” I playfully.

“Yes, I’m such a lucky guy.” He said as he opened the car’s door for me. “After you, friend.” He smirked.

As I laughed and we both got inside, Chanyeol spoke a few words to the chauffeur in a different language. 

“What? Was that Japanese?” I asked him, surprised.

“Yes. I just told him the place he has to drive us to.” Chanyeol replied cheerfully. 

“Couldn’t you just say it in our language?” I insisted.

“No, you gotta see how awesome your new friend is.” He said as he looked down, smiling shyly.

“No worries, miss. He doesn’t speak Japanese, he learnt that sentence just for this occasion. You got yourself a very special guy, miss.” The driver said, laughing.

“Park Chanyeol?” I giggled. “Is this one of your ways to impress your new friend?”

“Aish! You don’t even know how to keep a secret!” Chan was now frustrated, making me and his driver to burst out in laughter. I looked at Chan to see him covering his face with his hands.

“Are you, perhaps, blushing?” I , again.

“This girl…” He mumbled to himself.

“Hey, that one was sincerely cute! You’re making me smile, friend!” I assured him that everything was going to be alright, kicking his arm playfully. “I like this part of Park Chanyeol, the sensitive and shy boy.”

“I’m not shy! It was just embarrassing, and you know it. AND YOU! You will pay for this!” He spoke and turned his attention to the driver, causing him to laugh again.

On our way, I could only think about how full of surprises life was in South Korea.

 

 

(Let’s say that dm’s are available on twitter without the follow-followed back thing ok) aahh how do you like the story so far?