The new-old life

Royal Blood

I have always thought that my parents would decide in the end to move back to Seoul, but I never believed that this day would actually come. My name is Lee Jiyeon, I am 18 years old and about to start my senior year. I’ve been living in California since I was 5 years old. Back then, my young parents agreed to settle in the US and start a new life far away from their families who have never really accepted their relationship. Now, I am forced to leave my life behind, since my mother who is a professor that teaches the Korean language, was given the opportunity to teach at the most prestigious high school in Seoul. Yes, I will also be transferred there for my last year. My father is a financier who is quite great at this job, and eager to start to work for some big company back in Seoul. They both come from powerful and wealthy families, so there is so much more to the story. My mother always had a passion for languages, so she studied Korean, English and Chinese in college, meanwhile my father was obligated by his family to study business. They randomly met when they were 19, and fell in love, and loved each other like crazy, until their families, who were at odds, found out about their inheritors’ relationship. 

Anyway, I will miss the sunny California, my lovely part-time job on the Santa Monica Pier, my classmates, ahh perhaps even the clubs although I am not really the person who knows how to enjoy a party. And the most important thing, I will miss Venice Beach aka my best friend who was always there for me when I was at my worst. When I’m upset, I tend to go for a long walk on the beach, to hear the waves that bring my soul at peace. I tried my best to convince my parents to let me become independent (just like they did when they were around my age), even though I am only 18, I can take care of myself while I’m living in California. 

I never once thought that taking the airplane back to South Korea would be so depressing. Anxiety overwhelmed me when I was thinking of my last year of high-school in a different country which I am not exactly familiar with. 

It’s 6 pm in SK and our airplane just landed. Aish, my parents couldn’t take care in such a short time of the apartment where we would stay, so we had to grab our bags and head to my grandparents’ mansion. Yup, we must live for a while with my mother’s parents, and all I could feel around me was my father’s tension, although my mother assured him that it was going to be alright. Outside the airport, there was an expensive black automobile waiting for us, destined to drive us to the mansion. 

When we entered the large front yard I could only think about how my parents had to give up all of this for love and start all over in another country, just because they weren’t accepted being together.. ugh, pretty messed up and romantic at the same time.

“Welcome back, my sweet children, it’s been a while.” my grandmother said smiling as she hugged each one of us. My father remained surprised that she didn’t look at him disgusted as she used to.  She even told me that I turned into a beautiful young woman, and I can tell she wasn’t really happy with me when I was a child. The maids showed us our rooms and I was really well impressed with mine. It was dinner time, I took a shower and changed my clothes, hoping that the first dinner after such a long time, won’t be a disaster.

Shyly, I went downstairs and took a seat with everyone else who was waiting for the dishes and for my grandfather to appear. I knew he wouldn’t hurry to see us, and also I knew he was so busy all the time.

“So, one more week and my darling daughter will start teaching at the most prestigious high-school, and also her sweetheart will study there. Both of you work hard, alright?” grandmother spoke as she took a sip of her glass of wine.

“So you are all here, you have finally come into your senses.” We heard a voice in the background that interrupted me and my mother when we were about to respond to my grandmother’s wish. We all stood up and met grandfather’s eyes. I could feel the evening slowly turning into a mess.

“Sit and let’s eat.” grandfather said as he took a seat. We ate in silence and no one spoke another word.

“And how was the flight?” my grandmother was trying to start a conversation. “My sweet daughter, I am so glad you accepted this opportunity to teach here. Leaving America must have been difficult for all of you. But don’t worry, I promise you that life here is going to be much better.”

“The flight was tiring. Mother, father, I want to thank you for letting us stay here until we solve the problem with the apartment.” My mom replied nervously.

“As long as your dear husband behaves himself.” Grandfather continued. What was his problem with my father?

“And how about you, Ji-yeon? Are you ready to attend high-school here? I want you to do great in your last year and not become a shame to this family. I don’t know what your future plans were in the US, but I can promise you that you will go to college and study business or law. We should also find you a fiancé so we won’t repeat the mistake we made with your mother.” Woooow hold up, hold up. What does my grandfather mean with all of his plans about my future? I will go to a college chosen by ME, and I will marry the person I LOVE. It hasn’t been a day since we are here and everything was getting on my nerves already. My mother and father froze as they heard grandfather’s comment.

“I don’t want to seem discourteous, but I would like to make my own decisions when it comes to my future. I don’t want to study business or law, but languages or journalism. I will also not even agree to go on a blind date arranged by you, let alone marriage.” And after saying that, I realized that life here is going to be more complicated than I thought.

The week has passed. It’s Monday morning. When I was about to get up off bed, million thoughts had hit me at once. After the first dinner, my grandfather’s harsh arguments made me cry all night long. And no, I am not ready for a life like this, where every move of mine would be controlled by the elders. But since we are living in this mansion, I have no other option but to pretend that I am fine with their rules. I have never felt more alone in my entire life like I did this week. My parents won’t be on my side since they know that my grandparents have the ability and the power to break them up sooner or later, so I kind of started to face everything on my own. My father is invisible in this house, while my mother is adored, and then there’s me, the “child” who needs to be reeducated.

A black and luxurious automobile was waiting for me and my mother in front of the mansion to take us to school. On our way, my mother held my hand addressing kind and encouraging words to me.

“It’s going to be alright sweetheart, you’re not alone there, if anything happens you can come to me, and we will also see each other in class. People will love you, you will make new friends. Just put on that gorgeous smile that I gave you and be yourself.” Seems easy, but I have a strange feeling that things won’t work out like mother said. Uhhh, anxiety level 999.

We arrived and stepped out of the car, looking around I was thinking “So this is the type of high-school that rich kids attend to”. Everyone was wearing their perfect uniform. The campus was full of laughter and it sent me positive vibes. Everyone seemed happy to start school again. As we entered the building, the dean was waiting for us in the hallway, knowing who we were. He welcomed us and gave me a piece of paper with my classes and schedule.

“I am sure you are going to study hard and make your mom proud of you, right?” the dean said smiling.

“Yes, I will work hard and do my best”. Right Jiyeon, you can do it. Fighting!!!!

As I was walking down the hall to find my locker, I was pulling out the books from my backpack that my mother bought me a few days ago. I think I looked pretty confused and lost because suddenly two students approached me.

“Hello! You must be the new student who’s transferred from the US! Do you need any help?” one of them spoke as he smiled brightly. 

“Oh, Hello! Yeah that’s me and I am just trying to figure out where my locker is, I have my locker number on this piece of paper but.. yeah I know I look pretty lost haha..” I said as I was trying to control my anxiety. He checked out the number that was written on paper and they both offered to walk me to the locker.

“So, what’s your name?” one of them asked.

“I’m Lee Jiyeon. How about you guys?” I replied. “My name is Kim Junmyeon, but you can call me Suho.” he said smiling. ”And I am Do Kyungsoo, but you can call me D.O.”

“And I am wondering who this beautiful girl right here is…” huh? The three of us turned around to find a group of boys standing near us. “Aish, she must be the transferred one, and you are already making a move… What are we going to do with you, Suho?” said the one who seemed to be the “leader” of the group.

“Stop it Chan, we were just showing her were her locker is. Do you ever grow up? You didn’t change over the summer, I see.” Suho spoke as he seemed to be irritated.

“What do you mean? I am 1cm taller... And you baby girl, I have a tip for you. If you want to survive this year, you should spend your time around better people.” Uhh, what an arrogant ?

“Excuse me but what did he do wrong? They were just showing me my locker, so who are you to speak like that to him? Is your father like, having an important position at this high-school or why are you acting like this? Someone powerful must be supporting you, and let me tell you, doing what you’re doing, ain’t cool.” I spoke as my blood started boiling.

“Actually, his uncle is the dean of this institution.” A blond boy said.

“Hahaha, now it makes sense…” I tried to continue my argument but Chan interrupted me. “Alright sweetheart here’s the deal. I am practically the king here. “He said as he stepped closer to me.

“And you aren’t going to invent new rules here, but follow mine.  So don’t play smartass and become a troublemaker, or I will have to teach you a lesson—“And with that he made me laugh until my tears came out.

“Oh my God! This feels like a comedy! Hold up I can’t even keep up with you baby boy. I have no idea how you’re scaring this high-school with your weak replies but they won’t work on me.” Damn this boy made my day better. The boys next to him started to laugh as hard as I did. Did I just humiliate him? Ah, his poor reputation.

“Stop laughing you morons! And YOU, won’t get away with this. Nobody makes fun of Park Chanyeol!” he spoke loudly as he pointed his finger at me.

“Aish stop acting so superior--” as I wanted to continue my comment, I noticed that we were surrounded by other students who were totally enjoying what was happening in the first day of school.

“YOU GO GIRL!” someone yelled from the back of the crowd.

“CHANYEOL SHOW HER WHO’S THE BOSS!” another person yelled in the crowd.

“YAAAHHH! YOU ALL BETTER GO BACK TO YOUR CLASSES!” Chanyeol yelled at the crowd of students. To my surprise, everyone listened and went to their classrooms.

“And again, Lee Jiyeon, you will regret this. Let’s go guys.” It was his last word as he left with his squad.

“Well, we won’t worry about you because you know how to take care of yourself.” D.O grinned.

“She can take care of herself but, Jiyeon, just stay away from them, from him. Nobody did this to him before and trust me when I’m telling you that I know him because he used to be my best friend.” Suho spoke as he looked worried. And best friends? What?

“Long short story, we fought over a girl, now he’s a player, but I will tell you about this some other time. For now, let’s just go to our classrooms, I saw on your paper that your first lesson is English class, D.O has the same as you. So I will see you later.” Suho said as he started to walk towards his classroom.

As D.O and I walked to our English class, I could only think about the scene that happened earlier. Maybe I should listen to Suho’s advice, but that guy needs to be tamed. Trust me Chanyeol, you might regret your revenge.

_____

So how was the first chapter? I have like 5 chapters so far and I promise you that the next ones are much better. (I'm so bad with introductions lol) 

Please leave a comment. x