Once Upon A Time

True Love's Kiss

    Once Upon a time there lived a boy with the voice of an angel. Singing was his passion, something he honestly didn't believe he could live without. Until one day it was all taken away from him. 

    "If I cannot have you, I'll take away the thing that is most precious to you." The girl replied, her voice filled with venom. "Your voice. You will never sing or speak again." 

    The voice that once sang so passionately would now be lost forever, but as with all fairy tales there is a way to break a curse. If the boy found someone who loved him, then their kiss could set him free and his voice would be heard once again. 

    "But who could ever love you without your beautiful voice?" The girl asked, reaching out to gently pat the boy on the cheek. "Poor sweet boy doomed to live a life alone and voiceless." She leaned in, placing her poisonous kiss upon his lips before walking away without another word.

The curse was sealed...

    Daehyun had been a senior in highschool back then. He'd had plans to try out for a company and train to be an idol, but without a voice that was impossible. Instead he decided to apply for a University near home. Music was still his passion so he continued to study it, deciding to focus on instrumental. Maybe he'd decide to go into music education, it was still early on and at least then he could pass his passion on to others.

    After his first year of college Daehyun felt the need for change and decided to transfer to a University in Seoul, that's how he met Youngjae. Well met wasn't really the proper term. He'd come into the cafe intent on buying a drink and something to eat, but as soon as he saw the male he'd become so nervous he simply decided to sit at a table and do his homework. It ended up being a nice place to study, so he decided to keep coming. Of course most of his time was spent watching Youngjae work, but he totally wasn't a creep or anything. The other male didn't seem to notice his presence anyway.

    "I finally did it!" He signed excitedly. "I mean my stomach really hurts, but I finally did it!"

    "Woagh Woagh! Slow down, sign a little slower okay?" Himchan replied, watching as his roommate repeated his signs a bit slower the second time.

    "Ahhh! So you finally got the nerve to go up and order something?"

   

   Daehyun nodded, incredibly proud of himself even though it really wasn't much. "Yeah they have really good cheesecake too! Totally worth eating the entire thing. So good though!"

   Himchan gaped at him for a long moment before smacking him upside the head. "You ate an entire cheesecake? You could have brought some home to me you twerp!"

   The pink haired male rubbed the side of his head for a moment and then grinned. "I don't think you need any cheesecake hyung! Last time you ate cheesecake you farted non stop for hours!" He immediately bolted from the room, deciding to save himself before Himchan could comprehend what he'd just said.

   It took a few minutes but Himchan was soon chasing after him, yelling about how he was lying and that Daehyun needed to respect his elders. The two were always like this, Himchan could be such a mother to the younger male but he also liked to bicker with him and they were constantly picking at each other. Daehyun felt a bit sorry for Yongguk, his cousin and third roommate who also happened to be dating Himchan. He put up with their childish behavior constantly, and very rarely complained. Normally his response was to shake his head and pretend like he didn't know either of them.

   "What are you two bickering about this time?" Yongguk asked, walking through the front door and raising an eyebrow at the two. Himchan had managed to catch Daehyun and wrestle him to the ground, the other fighting to break free.

   "Your twerp cousin ate an entire cheesecake and didn’t share!" Himchan huffed, sitting up and crossing his arms.

   "Hey! It’s not my fault cheesecake makes him gassy, I’m just looking out for the happiness of this household."  Daehyun replied, looking up at his cousin innocently.

   "Uhhuh..." Yongguk replied. "You know....I'm not getting into the middle of this, you two have fun I'm gonna go down to the basement and write."

   The two watched him go before continuing their wrestling match, Daehyun eventually managing to scramble free eventually and make a dash for the kitchen. Himchan followed him and took a seat at the table.

   "So as punishment for not sharing....you can bring me home an ice Americano tomorrow..and an entire cheesecake too....and I’m sleeping in your room."

   The pink haired boy sighed, but agreed anyway. He’d make sure to also pick up some air freshener. 

---

    Daehyun was slightly disappointed when he stopped by the cafe the next afternoon on his lunch break, Youngjae nowhere in sight. Was today his day off? His shoulders hunched slightly as he headed over to the counter to order anyway.

    "Looking for Youngjae?" The tall male behind the counter asked, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "He's got the day off, but I can tell him you came to see him."

    The pink haired male shook his head, a blush creeping up onto his cheeks as he scribbled his order down onto his notepad and slid it toward the boy behind the counter. 

    "You seriously don't have to be so shy about it, besides he thinks you're cute. I'm Zelo by the way....and" The blonde glanced down at the notepad. "You're Daehyun, I'll get Jongup to start on your order."

    Daehyun watched as Zelo walked away, wondering if what he said was true. Did Youngjae seriously think he was cute? He had caught him looking at him a few times the day before. Maybe he should leave his number or something?

    "Alright! That'll be eight dollars." Zelo stated, jarring Daehyun from his thoughts. The male nodded and handed the blonde some cash, pulling his notepad back out once Zelo handed him his change.

    He scribbled down his number with a note saying to give it to Youngjae before handing it off to Zelo, taking his food and drink and heading out the door. His break was already almost up so it'd be better to just eat at the shop anyway.

    Zelo watched as Daehyun headed out the door, grinning as he turned to Jongup. "Mr. Silent left his number for Youngjae." He announced, waving the note at his friend. "Also according to the shirt he was wearing, I think he works at that record store across the street."

    Jongup grabbed the note and read it before smiling up at the taller male. "I'll text hyung!"

---

    Daehyun was in the process of sorting through some returns when Youngjae walked into the store. The brunette stood for a moment, looking around the store and smiling when his eyes finally settled on Daehyun.

    "I've been wanting to check out this store for awhile now." He stated, heading over to the counter and leaning against it. "What a small world though, my customer from yesterday works here. Oh...Jongup told me you stopped by."

    Daehyun could feel his face heating up as he grabbed for his notepad and scribbled down a message onto it. "What'd he say?" He asked, sliding the pad toward Youngjae.

    "Nothing much, just that you left Zelo your number to give to me...and he also mentioned he thinks you might work here. I was already in the area, so figured I'd stop by." Youngjae replied with a shrug. "Also I figure you should have this." The brunette grinned, pulling a piece of paper from his pocket and handing it to Daehyun.

    The pink haired male looked down at the paper, a grin spreading across his face when he realized Youngjae had just given him his number. He was so happy of course that when he moved to come around the counter, he failed to see the box sitting there and fell flat on his face.

    "Are you okay?" Youngjae asked, rushing over to his side and crouching down. 

    Daehyun nodded, he was alright. No bruises, no cuts, just the embarrassment of making a complete and total fool of himself infront of the guy he'd just gotten a number from. 

    "Well I'm probably keeping you from your job." Youngjae replied, moving to stand up. "But...you should text me okay? Also...I work tomorrow...so you should come by if you have time okay? Anyway....see you later." The brunette flashed him a smile and then headed out the door, waving before he finally disappeared from view.

    Daehyun watched the male walk away, his mouth hanging slightly open as he stared at the door in disbelief. Did that seriously just happen? The pink haired male looked down at his arm, pinching himself and grinning widely. He wasn't dreaming! He got Youngjae's number, and Youngjae still wanted to talk to him after he'd made an embarrassment of himself. This was great! 

    "Wow! I've never seen you look so excited about sorting through returns." Yongguk laughed, setting down another box for Daehyun to sort through. "But pretty sure that's not why you're all smiles. What's up?"

    "I got Youngjae's number!"  The pink haired male grinned, grabbing one of the boxes and going back to sorting through it.

    "That's great." Yongguk smiled. "You never know....this could be the one."

    Daehyun looked up at Yongguk, he honestly hadn't really thought about it like that. It'd be nice, but thinking like that only left him more upset when things didn't work out. Although his situation was like a fairytale, that's just not how love worked. In those stories the cursed person always managed to fall in love with the first person who walked by, and then it was happily ever after. It'd been a year and Daehyun had been in a few relationships, none had led to true love though and so he figured it would be better not to hope for something that may not happen. 

    "I don't know." He finally replied. "But I think it's better not to worry too much about it."

    He missed being able to sing, and he wanted more than anything to have his voice back. It'd happen when it was meant to happen though, when he met the right person for the right reasons. 

    "Yeah you're right." Yongguk nodded. "Well I've got to do something in the back, you know where I'll be if you need help with anything."

    Daehyun watched him go and then turned back to his boxes, jumping in suprise when his phone buzzed in his pocket. Maybe it was Himchan reminding him to bring that ice coffee he owed him? He opened the message, noticing it was a number he didn't have saved.

    "You know, you're really cute when you're embarrassed."

    "This is Youngjae btw. Dunno if you saved my number yet."

    Daehyun smiled, saving the number and putting Youngjae in his phone as "Jae Jae". He really needed to get back to work, but a quick text wouldn't hurt.

    "Totally not cute. I am super manly, that box was just out to get me I swear. Ummm anyway...I'll definitely come by tomorrow. I have work too, but I work in the morning so I'll come by after. I really want some more of that cheesecake."

    Once the text was sent he turned off his phone and got back to work. Sorting through returns really wasn't so bad when he had tomorrow to look forward to. 


A/N

Oh my gosh! Thank you everyone who has subscribed to this story! I'm seriously like...mind blown man! Anyway I really hope this chapter was worth the wait, I meant to get it out sooner but I had a tiny bit of writers block. I'd actually intended for the whole "curse" thing to be something Daehyun made up because he's a dumb ...so it'd be a "fake fairytale" if you know what I mean? I'm glad I'm going the fairytale route though, it flows so much nicer and yes! Anyway I hope you enjoyed this chapter and will look forward to more!

-Cat-