Chapter 4

What a Beautiful Mess This Is
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Baekhyun emerges from the bathroom, walking slowly as he surveys the apartment with wide eyes. “Damn Kyungsoo, it’s like a totally different apartment from that dump a few months ago. Props to your cleaning lady, she did good.” He throws him a two-thumbs up and takes the opposite chair. He scowls at the papers scattered across the table, looks almost offended by them, and says, “Don’t you ever take a break? Geez Kyungsoo.”

 

“I’m gunning for employee-of-the-year,” he deadpans. He’s growing more nervous as the seconds tick by, the trembling in his hands is hardly noticeable but he locks them together to hide it all the same.

 

Baekhyun scoffs openly, about to say something Kyungsoo is sure to be crass and offensive, when Jongin walks out.

 

“I’m so ready for that pizz-- oh.”

 

To say that Baekhyun is surprised would be an understatement. He almost jumps out of his seat, obviously not expecting anyone else other than the two of them in the apartment.

 

“Uhm, Baek--”

 

“WHO ARE YOU?” Baekhyun bursts out, struggling off of his seat.

 

“Baek, this is Kim Jongin. He’s from Kim’s Houskeeping and Cleaning Services, the one I hired to clean the apartment.” Even through his anxiety, Kyungsoo’s voice is remarkably level. “You even gave him your seal of approval,” he says, raising both of his thumbs to mimic what Baekhyun did a few minutes ago. “Jongin, this is Byun Baekhyun.”

 

Jongin bows politely to him and continues to quietly stand there like a wooden statue. Baekhyun regards Jongin for a few tense seconds, clearly taking in Kyungsoo’s words.

 

“You-- you’re the cleaning lady?? But you’re too...” he rakes his eyes up and down at him, then clears his throat, “…young.”

 

Jongin, who’s standing there stiffly, relaxes a little and replies with a small laugh, “Kyungsoo said the exact same thing when we first met.”

 

“Of course he did.” Baekhyun turns to squint at him, knowing smirk on his face, and oh god he'll be a hundred times more annoying after this. Kyungsoo is staring daggers at him in return when the doorbell rings anew.

 

Jongin perks up then. “That should be the pizza,” he says. Kyungsoo gives him the money and he pads to the door.

 

Before Kyungsoo can even move, Baekhyun is standing next to him, hissing in his ear, “You er! You didn’t tell me about him!” He glances back to make sure Jongin is still at the door and out of earshot.

 

“I knew you’d be like this. Oh my god Baek, please, please don’t be embarrassing,” he hisses back desperately.

 

“Oh, oh! You’re worried I'll make you look bad  in front of your--”

 

“Shut up, shut up, he’s coming back!” Kyungsoo shoves Baehkyun away and pretends to clear the table of all his files to make room for the pizza. Baekhyun sinks back into his seat, grinning like a ing lunatic. Oh how Kyungsoo wants so much to punch that look off his face but Jongin is walking back so he pushes that urge aside and stands up.

 

The box is placed on the table and when Jongin opens it, the fresh smell wafting from the pizza makes him break out into the sweetest smile yet. Kyungsoo abandons the frown he has for Baekhyun and replaces it with a smile so much like the one on Jongin’s face. He offers the pizza to the other older two before grabbing one for himself. When Jongin bites into it, the sound he makes -- a mix between a sob and a groan -- has Kyungsoo laughing outright. “It’s that good?”

 

Jongin mumbles something incoherent and nods vigorously, still smiling despite his mouthful of pizza. Kyungsoo shakes his head and is about to take a bite, when he spots Baekhyun eyeing them with this weird look on his face which he recognizes, from years of direct experience, as a telling sign that Byun Baekhyun is up to no good.

 

"What?" he asks, trying not to sound annoyed but narrowing his eyes at him in warning.  

 

"Oh don't mind me," he replies, the teasing tone in his voice making Kyungsoo squirm. "I'm just here eating my--" something makes Baekhyun pause for a few seconds. “Uh I don't know if you noticed but there are mushrooms. You hate ‘shrooms on your pizza.”

 

Jongin is raising his eyebrows questioningly and Kyungsoo struggles to find an excuse, “I don’t hate it. I just don’t care for it.” He looks pointedly at Baekhyun. “And I don’t mind eating it either,” he adds rather loudly and takes an extremely large bite to prove his point.

 

Baekhyun snickers into his pizza before he eats it. "My mistake then." He stands up after and goes to the fridge, saying,  "I need a drink." Kyungsoo gets up to tag along and to possibly stand guard against any ideas Baekyun might have. 

 

"There's Pepsi if you want," Jongin offers.

 

"Pepsi's fine," he answers and stops as soon as he opens the fridge. "'Soo, you have cranberry juice. You hate--"

 

"--that Jongin didn't buy more of the stuff because I really like it." Kyungsoo is sure he's looking deranged for how big his eyes must be, staring at Baekhyun and hoping he would ing get it.

 

He can see Baekhyun is trying not to crack up, ducking his head to simultaneously hide his face and snag two cans of Pepsi. When he straightens up, his expression is almost calm. He looks straight at Kyungsoo and says, almost nobly, "You are so lucky I love you" before handing him his soda.

 

Kyungsoo mouths a small 'thank you' and turns to see that Jongin is still preoccupied with his pizza to notice anything fishy. 

 

"So Jongin," Baekhyun continues, the two going to back to their seats. He opens his soda, it fizzing momentarily, before he takes a swig. "How long have you worked as a cleaning la--... as a uh professional cleaner?"

 

"Almost seven months. This apartment is my eighth," he replies, going to the sink to wash his hands of the oily pizza.

 

"You're really good, the way you turned this place around is nothing short of a miracle. Come to think of it, I also might need someone to clean my apartment, someone like you maybe--  tall, long arms. The tops of my bookshelves are becoming raaather dusty." The playful smile on Baekhyun's face makes Kyungsoo fidget again.  "Is there a catalogue I could maybe skim through-- ow!"  He rubs at his arm where Kyungsoo had suddenly pinched hard.

 

Jongin looks back at them, a little confused, then says, "We have a lot of competent employees at the company. But if you want someone that specific, I think I have someone in mind. " He grabs the towel hanging on the wall and wipes his hands with it. "He joined about three months ago, to work part-time while he finishes his masters. He was my senior in school and we used to play ball together. And he's way taller than me. Just give us a call so I can put in a word for you."

 

"Excellent. Can you give me your card then?" Jongin nods and goes to get his bag which he left on the couch.

 

Kyungsoo moves closer to Baekhyun, and whispers menacingly, "Catalogue? Seriously?? He isn't working at some damn service!" 

 

Baekhyun only snickers and whispers back, "I was joking alright. Chill out."

 

Jongin comes back, calling card in hand and gives it to Baekhyun. "Thanks, I'll give you guys a call." He stands up and while he puts the card in his jacket pocket, he pulls out another card, bigger and rainbow-colored, and gives it to Kyungsoo. "Xing's birthday party invite. Do not, I repeat, do not forget your present. And make it a good one this time. He ed so hard last year at that Starbucks gift certificate."

 

"Why can't we just share then? You know how much I hate shopping for gifts." Baekhyun looks unimpressed so Kyungsoo tries harder. "C'mon I'll chip in! Just write my name on the card--"

 

"No.” Baekhyun says firmly. “You have to put in a little ef

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter