(Never) Gonna Fade | L/Suzy

like a scene from a movie that every broken heart knows (drabble collection)

(Never) Gonna Fade; L/Suzy | rating: pg-13 (swearing), 540 words
Even the weakest of stars appear to shine long after they have faded to dust.


a/n: i really wanted to write myungzy because they are so aesthetically pleasing argh. why are they so wonderful and beautiful and bitter and angsty and !?! this is very crappy lol. also, a reminder that you can send prompts to my tumblr! xoxo


 

“I don’t really know you, do I-” Myungsoo stares at her “-Suzy.” It’s pronounced perfectly, foreign syllables resting smoothly on his tongue. He’s practiced. Behind him the Han river flows silently, almost calm amid the leaves and twigs that are blowing in a wind much too chilly for autumn.

“What do you mean?” Suji really doesn’t give a , laughs silently against the icy wind as her breath disappears into puffs around her.

“You’re the girl on every billboard, every television, every everything in South Korea, but-” he breaks off, tears his gaze away from her. Kicks bits of gravel away from him on the pavement. “I don’t know. What are you, Bae Suji?” He looks at her intently, eyes roaming her face. She doesn’t flinch, just stares back at him defiantly, unwavering. If there’s one thing Suji’s used to after so long, it’s the stares.

What. She mouths it unconsciously. Not who. At least he’s acknowledging that she -Suzy, Suji, whatever- is an object with no pretenses. It’s better than most of the others. Suji values Myungsoo for his futile attempts at honesty, at reality. At avoiding lies.

He laughs, a rough sort of crackle, looks down at his scuffed boots.

“Nevermind,” he says. “I don’t think I want to know.”

They settles into silence the way ripples disappear from the surface of a pond, let the night cloak them in quiet. For a second -one swift second- Suji thinks she could just fade away into the darkness, simply melt into oblivion. Fall apart, and no one would notice. The sound of Myungsoo’s footfalls bring back reality, make her wonder why she actually thought of disappearing. Even the weakest of stars appear to shine long after they have faded to dust.

“You know, you have it easy,” she says after a while. Stares down at the tiny bits of gravel, crunches one under her sneaker. “All of your fans love you and support your every move.”

“Those same fans send death threats every time I look at a girl,” he replies. “And most of them aren’t even half as pretty as you.” Myungsoo reaches for her gloved hand, tries to warm her numb fingers with his.

“Don’t do flattery,” she says, yanks her hand away even though it stings from the cold. “It doesn’t suit you.”

“Agreed.” He takes her hand again and this time, Suji lets him. It isn’t love between the two of them, she thinks, but it’s good enough.

“So what was it you said about me having it easier than you?” Myungsoo chuckles, grins at his feet.

She smiles involuntarily, cheeks almost protesting for the unfamiliar feel of it. Comparing one’s hardships is fun, she decides, in a sort of narcissistic way. Except it’s also stupid. So ing stupid.

“I’m tired,” Suji says quietly, pulls her hat lower on her head. It sounds whiny, she thinks in retrospect. Stupid. Childish. Stupid.

He sighs. “Aren’t we all, Bae Suji.”

She stops in her tracks, turns around suddenly. Looks over purple eye bags and sallow skin and a bitter attempt at a smile. Myungsoo isn’t beautiful, she realizes, and it’s a bit of a revelation. But he’s close enough. Stars only shine from a distance anyway.