Peculiar

Seventeenth Heaven

large.gif

            Xu Minghao was never really considered ‘normal’. It wasn’t easily seen, he was a quiet person, not one to open up to the random strangers that walked into his shop, but almost anyone could at least tell that there was something... off. Of course, most people attributed it to his race. Minghao was a faerie, something quite uncommon seeing as he lived in the capitol. Most faeries stayed hidden away in their forest, they were extremely magical and could level cities if angered, as such, many races feared and respected them. Minghao however, for reasons he kept to himself, had decided to leave his comfortable life in faerie territory and settle in the capitol.

            It was quite easy to spot a faerie – even if their magic specialized in trickery and illusions. For one thing, faerie skin was usually a different colour. Not like they were people with bright red skin walking around, but most faeries had a greenish or blue tint to their skin due to their affinity for magic. Minghao, in this case, had a soft, light blue tint to his skin, which was considered highly attractive in faerie terms. Even humans and other races were drawn to him, to his soft, silver blonde hair, rounded amethyst coloured eyes, and maybe the most prominent feature, his large wings. While most people depicted faeries as having butterfly like wings; that was entirely false. There were millions of different variations of faerie wings, from golden feathered ones to small, angular webbed ones. Minghao’s were quite standard, dragonfly like wings that ended in a tip rather than being rounded. What attracted everyone’s attention however, were the colours. Minghao’s normal appearance was quite mellow, washed out for lack of a better term. His hair was almost white, and his pale blue skin caused him to look almost like a ghost. This all, however, contributed to the beauty of his wings. They were translucent, but had a slight sheen which reflected light and the different colours around Minghao. As such, Minghao’s wings became a rainbow in the sunlight, gathering attention no matter where he went. Even in darker light, his wings reflected the moonlight or other types of radiance, causing his wings to be somewhat of a light show. Minghao knew he attracted attention, it was quite obvious that people stared at him when he went outside, so most of the time he kept his wings hidden. He preferred to stay on the sidelines, to be an observer rather than a doer, so he hid his wings.

            In any case, what made Minghao weird wasn’t his race or wings – at least, he didn’t think so. What made him different were his morals. Faeries were beautiful, magical beings, but that was only to hide their terrible interiors. Most faeries, Minghao knew from experience, were corrupt and greedy. They focused on materialistic things and were incredibly superficial. They also stole children. It was somewhat of a myth outside of faerie territory, that faeries would tempt little kids with promises of parties and feasts, until said child wandered into their territory, ate their food, and was imprisoned their forever, a slave to the faeries. While this story was not entirely true, Minghao had seen countless faeries steal humans (they had the lowest affinity for magic and were incredibly susceptible to faerie magic) to use as slaves or entertainment. It sickened him, yet most faeries thought of it as normal practice. It got to a point, when Minghao’s very own father had told him that he’d have to kidnap a slave in order to become a true ‘adult’, that Minghao decided enough was enough. He had left his comfortable, noble household, and, without telling anyone, walked straight out of faerie territory. There was a chance, Minghao was very sure of this, that his actions would have angered his father and the elders. No one had been sent after Minghao, but Minghao was fairly sure that he’d never be able to step into faerie territory again.

            “Don’t you miss it?” Minghao looked up at the customer in his store. She had walked in a while ago and was browsing through every item on display. Minghao ran an antique store. It contained various trinkets that he had either picked up on his travels or people had donated, and it did fairly well. Minghao liked to repair items, so most of the merchandise was practically brand new. Something his customers appreciated, especially since he sold them at such a low price.

            “Miss what?” Minghao asked politely. Drumming his fingers on the desk, the store was due to close in ten minutes, and he had a meeting afterwards so he was hoping that this customer would hurry up and buy whatever she needed. Not that he’d ever tell her this, Minghao might be ditzy, but he wasn’t stupid.

            “Faerie territory,” the customer replied, standing up with something in her hand. “Stories describe it as beautifully crafted and filled with magical wonders.”

            “It is beautiful,” Minghao remembered, smiling slightly. “There are magnificent buildings made out of the oddest materials, from water, from sand, even from clouds. Every object is filled with magic, and one could spend years examining and exploring every crevice of the land. It’s practically a magical paradise.”

         “Then why’d you leave?” the customer cocked her head to the side in curiosity. “It sounds absolutely amazing.”

            “Not everything is what is seems, don’t judge a book by its cover right?” Minghao said, taking the object from the customer and examining it. It was a small magical pouch. When one pressed their thumb on the circle etched into the fabric, the bag would stretch and open until it swallowed whatever the user wanted to put into the bag – before going back to its small size. “Do you want me to bind this bag to you?”

            “Makes sense, I’d still like to see it one day,” the customer hummed, “and yes please. If you don’t mind.”

          “There’ll be an extra charge,” Minghao reminded, looking as the customer nodded. “Okay, place your hand on the bag please.” As the customer did so, Minghao waved his fingers above her hand. His long, slender fingers weaved in and out in a pattern only he could see; something akin to playing an imaginary piano. Soon enough, a soft blue light began to emit from his fingers until it surrounded the customer’s hand and pouch. Muttering under his breath, Minghao narrowed his eyes and concentrated as the light turned into a ring shape and closed around the customer’s hand. In a burst of sparks, the light faded and the bag turned a light red colour. “There you go.”

            “Thank you,” the customer smiled, reaching into her bag to give Minghao the required amount. “Your magic is beautiful by the way.”

            “What do you mean?” Minghao questioned, taking the money and counting it.

       “I’m studying magic at the Pledis Academy, my instructor said that everyone sees and uses magic differently. His magic is more object based, he knew an elf whose magic appeared in the form of fog. I’m guessing your magic is related to light?” the customer asked.

           “You would be correct,” Minghao laughed, pleasantly surprised. “Not a lot of people know that about magic. Did he also tell you that based on what form someone’s magic takes, you can tell his or her strengths and weaknesses?”

             “No, that’s amazing!” the customer gaped, mind reeling at Minghao’s revelation.

            “For example, if someone’s magic was water based, it can tell you that said person is flexible and forward thinking, but it also shows that they’re not entirely organized and are slightly clumsy,” Minghao explained further.

          “Wow, that’s wonderful,” the customer nodded. “Of course you’d know that, faeries have the highest affinity for magic after all.”

             “Very true,” Minghao agreed. “Is your professor Hong Jisoo?”

            “Yes! He’s very famous isn’t he?” the customer chirped. “Thank you once again!”

           “You’re welcome!” Minghao waved as the student left the shop. He pushed himself out of his chair and walked around the shop, taking mental stock of the products. Muttering another spell that would sweep and clean the shop (Minghao didn’t like to do this as the spell usually backfired in some way – he had ended up with dust on the ceiling because the spell didn’t know where to put the collected dirt) but he was rushing and there was nothing else he could do. Locking up the door, Minghao slipped the key into his pocket and slung his bag over his shoulder before setting off. It was a Friday, and he had already placed a sign on the front of the shop stating that he would be gone for the weekend, but he didn’t have much time to delay. If he arrived late, Minghao shook his head, smiling softly, he definitely wouldn’t be forgiven.

          Minghao soon arrived at the edge of the city. The skyline glittered in the dusk light, there was smoke rising from the building and a bustle of noise as people went to bed while others arose. Minghao loved night life; it was something that reminded him greatly of his homeland. Faeries were not nocturnal, but most of them preferred to have parties during the night. It added to the aesthetic and mystery they said. Minghao just preferred the dark moonlight. His wings were somewhat burdensome in the daylight, so he liked them better under the moon, when they glittered just so and cast a soft glow. Not too bright, but just enough to still be captivating.

            Adjusting his bag, Minghao slung it backwards so it rested on his chest, before unfolding his wings. They usually rested right against his back, under a simple spell that every faerie learned (almost before they could walk) which hid it from view. Stretching his wings, Minghao watched as the few townspeople walking in and out of the town turned to stare. Ignoring them, Minghao gave his wings a try and smiled when they fluttered behind him, causing him to lift off the ground slightly. Checking that his bag was secured properly, Minghao launched himself from the ground, wings flapping furiously in order to gain altitude, before they slowed down and he caught onto a wind drift. Certain faerie wings were built for speed; they could fly at hilariously high speeds and accelerated almost instantaneously. Others, like Minghao’s, were built for agility and movement. While some faeries could barely turn while flying, Minghao practically floated. He tumbled through the sky, spinning and flipping at command, almost as if he was an acrobat on a trapeze.

          Revelling in the night air, Minghao relaxed. He felt the stress of the past month leave his muscles and even though the strain of flying at such a high speed (well, a high speed for Minghao’s wings) hurt, it was a good kind of pain. Minghao had been bored lately. He opened his store because he liked to share his finds and the people that came into his shop were always different. The capitol was a hub of travellers. People passed through on the daily and it was one of the only places where races could mix freely. It usually served enough to entertain Minghao, but Minghao was a faerie, and his race was used to high levels of risk. Which was why, every so often (it really depended on how Minghao was feeling) Minghao would close up his store, and go on a short adventure. It spanned from a couple days to months, but Minghao always came back with new trinkets and a more relaxed mentality. It was something of a vacation, but Minghao considered it a business trip. Today however, was not one of those days – although Minghao was seriously regretting agreeing to what he was about to do.

          Landing gently a couple hours later, Minghao caught his breath. He stared up at the large, dark castle in front of him and pondered whether he should announce his arrival or wait until someone else picked him up. He had just walked in before, one of the first times he came, and had almost been killed on sight by the guards. Just as he was about to start walking towards the front door however, a dark shape flew across the ground towards him. Bracing himself (and mentally sighing), Minghao found himself embraced by a slightly taller male with pale, fair skin and deep, red eyes.

          “You’re late!” the man exclaimed, hugging Minghao tightly.

        “You should be glad I even came,” Minghao retorted, trying to adjust the bag on his chest so he could actually breathe. “Jun, I can’t breathe.”

         “Oh, sorry, my bad,” Wen Junhui, Minghao’s childhood friend, laughed and backed off (still holding onto Minghao’s hand however). “Thanks for coming.”

          “You should be very thankful. The last thing I want to do this weekend is sit and listen to and a bunch of other snobby vampires talk about useless things like border issues,” Minghao groaned internally at the conference that was supposed to happen that weekend. Vampire territory and faerie territory were right next to each other, causing the two races to constantly conflict about laws and borders. Seeing as Junhui’s estate was near both areas, every so often a conference would take place at his castle. High ranking vampires and faeries would come and waste a weekend eating food, talking about meaningless things, and eventually, not reach a conclusion. Minghao avoided these confrontations at all costs, he wasn’t interested in politics and he was always worried he’d see one of his old acquaintances, but every so often Junhui would manage to convince (more like beg) him to attend in order to keep the vampire company and, as a good friend, Minghao was forced to comply.

        “Uhm, by the way,” Junhui coughed as the two close friends make their way into Junhui’s castle. “You might’ve have wanted to know this before, but I just found it today when he arrived, but uh, your oldest brother is here.”

          WHAT,” Minghao stopped, twirling around and glaring at Junhui furiously.

          “I didn’t know either!” Junhui tried to defend himself, raising his hands. “Seriously, he literally just came a couple minutes ago with this other faerie girl – who totally tried to hit on me by the way – and I was so shocked I didn’t even greet him properly.”

          “I’m leaving,” Minghao announced, turning around to leave even though he had given his bag to one of Junhui’s attendants.

          “No, no you’re not,” Junhui denied, grabbing onto Minghao’s wrist and pulling him closer. Minghao ends up tripping over his own uncoordinated feet and ramming his face into Junhui’s neck but the taller man makes no mention of it. “You’re not running away from your past again Minghao, I didn’t help you out just so you would never face it again.”

          “But,” Minghao began to complain.

      “Minghao?” a sharp voice caused Minghao to stop midsentence. The petit boy froze as a tall, wide shouldered man with vibrant, golden, hawk wings stalked towards them. “Minghao, it really is you isn’t it?”

          “Hello Yifan,” Junhui bowed for the both of them, holding onto Minghao’s hand tightly as to reassure the younger faerie that he wasn’t alone. “Have you settled in?”

         “Yes,” Yifan, Minghao’s oldest brother and the heir of his family, responded coldly. He regarded Junhui with an air of cold indifference, typical of faeries. Since their affinity for magic was so high, they tended to be extremely condescending – looking down on the other races because of their inability or lack of magic. “But I wasn’t talking to you was I?”

         Junhui visibly stiffened, slowly clenching and unclenching his free hand. Minghao looked up in surprise, not at his brother but at the steely expression that took over Junhui’s face. Minghao treasured Junhui as a friend, maybe even more. It was no lie that Minghao wouldn’t have made it out of faerie territory without him, and he was fiercely defensive and loyal to his friends. Gathering courage, Minghao stepped forward between the two glaring men and squared his shoulders.

         “Hello,” Minghao said calmly, squeezing Junhui’s hand with his own in an attempt to calm the other male. “You’ve come for the conference then?”

      “Yeah, father made me,” Yifan rolled his eyes. “It’s annoying really, why do we have to be civil with vampires? They can’t even control their blood thirst. Nothing more than animals.” Minghao felt Junhui’s hand grow cold. “In any case, I’m surprised you’re here. After you abandoned the family I thought you’d have died or something. Never would’ve imagined that you found interest in politics.”

       “I’m not,” Minghao said through gritted teeth. “I don’t give a about faerie politics or their stupid government – or lack of one.” Minghao narrowed his eyes as Yifan tensed at the insult. Faeries couldn’t lie, much like elves, except their weakness was much more severe. Any faerie that attempted to lie would feel excruciating pain and, if the lie was great enough, could potentially die. But Minghao wasn’t lying. He hated faerie mentality. Hated how they looked down on others. Hated their ignorance. And that’s why he left. His family would never understand. He realized this as Yifan looked at him with a mixture of hate and ignorance. But he didn’t care anymore.

         “Do you know why? Because you are all too arrogant. It makes you ignorant. You think that because we have such powerful magic we, or should I say you, you think that you should rule the world. But you’re wrong. Faeries have high affinity for magic, but that doesn’t make you stronger. Can you understand the world like flugels? Can you see in the dark and race through the mountainside like werewolves? Can you summon dark magic and inspire fear like demons do? No, no you can’t. As much magic as we have, we can’t use it to the fullest, because we’re not like that. Every race specializes in their own attributes, so just because we have the highest affinity doesn’t make us any better or any worse than the other races. You people can’t see that though. You’re all drunk on magic in your little secluded forest, so much that you’re ignorant to the real world. You call vampires animals? They aren’t. They didn’t have a choice with their race. They were born the way they were – or they were turned. They feed only on their Chosen – people who have been selected by fate to be bound to a vampire. There have been little to no attacks on helpless humans, and if there have they have been by blood lusting vampires. The animal here would be you. You who steal little children from their warm, safe homes with promises of never ending fun and paradise when, in reality, you put them to work, to slave away for you for the rest of their lives. And that’s why I left. Not because I was bored, not because I was scared of politics, not because of any of that. I left because I couldn’t stand it, how close minded everyone was. And you know what? I don’t regret it, not one bit, because if I hadn’t left, I wouldn’t have met all the people I know. Jisoo, Jeonghan, Mingyu, and especially Junhui. I wouldn’t have gotten to know any of them. So you can go right ahead and call me scared. Call me names, hate my guts, I don’t give a , but make fun of my friends and I’ll kill you,” Minghao glared at Yifan. “You know I can. Even by faerie standards I was always better than you.” Yifan glowered at him. “I was always better. In archery, in swordplay, in magic, in flying. You must have been so happy when I left. I was the youngest yet father was going to appoint me as heir. Now you have the spot while I’m happy with my freedom. So go away, attend this stupid conference and go home and tell father that I don’t care if I’m banned. Just stay away from my loved ones.”

          “Don’t think you’ve won,” Yifan said, sending one last glare at Minghao and Junhui, before walking away. Letting out a breath Minghao didn’t even know he was holding, the faerie practically collapsed onto Junhui, knees weak and wings drooping as the adrenaline and courage left his body.

        “Great job,” Junhui grinned. “Never knew you had such a way with words, you sure you don’t want to become a politician?”

          “Shut up, you know I hate things like that,” Minghao groaned, feeling Junhui’s strong arms wrap around his waist. “Why are you smiling? You hate it when people stereotype vampires.”

          “You defended me,” Junhui smiled stupidly. “And you called me your loved one.”

          “W-what is that supposed to mean?” Minghao stuttered as Junhui brought him closer to his chest.

          “Nothing,” Junhui sang softly, unable to stop smirking. “I love you too.”

          “I never said I loved you! Jisoo, Jeonghan, and maybe even Mingyu are my loved ones as well!” Minghao began to blush for a reason he didn’t quite understand and didn’t entirely want to explore.

          “We’ll work on it,” Junhui hummed, entwining their fingers once again. “Now let’s go catch up before we have to sit through years of debates and mindless chatter.”

 ~

I am such trash. China line is so precious though I had to add it. JunHao was and still is my OTP for Seventeen. That and JiCheol. *shrugs* Wow would you look at that confrontation scene though. I feel like I ended up subliminally writing about racism. Whoops. Also I was listening to Ailee’s “Mind Your Own Business” while writing this so I’m going to attribute that to why Minghao was so fierce in that long paragraph.

By the way Minghao is my bias in Seventeen so I feel like I gave him a lot of attention (I made his wings so beautiful haha) but meh, he’s my BIAS for a reason. Also I realize that there wasn’t really much back story in this chapter but Minghao’s back story closely relates to Junhui’s (because, once again, I’m trash) so you’ll learn more in his chapter. I also realized that all of my back stories are people leaving their homes and I didn’t want to write that AGAIN (*coughs* Jisoo, Jeonghan, Wonwoo *coughs*) so yeah. I did this?

Once again, thanks for reading and I do not own anything in this story other than the idea and plot, any similarities to other works of fiction are purely coincidental or have been used as sources of inspiration. Please do not repost this anywhere without my permission; plagiarism isn’t nice!

Hope you’re smiling!

~ alateni

PS: Thanks to Den_Falling_angel for upvoting!!