Part 1

Whisper
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It started with a whisper. That soft breath against his ear. The familiar scent, of mint and ocean air, overwhelming him. Kai thought he must be going crazy. Maybe the nerves of being on stage in front of a foreign crowd coupled with the burning bright lights overhead were getting to him. Maybe he was getting sick from all that Chinese food he had last night. No. Not even the most logical answer could explain the knot forming in his intestines or the hair standing up on the back of his neck. This was something else. Something he had only ever felt vicariously, through fictional characters, celebrities, people he had no chance of ever meeting. Never had it been linked to someone so close. Someone standing just beside him. Someone who’s arm would brush against his side every now and then when he adjusted his position. The same arm that had just been wrapped around his shoulder, only a few seconds ago. Just the thought sent chills down his spine. I must be getting some kind of fever, Kai thought to himself. Next thing he knew, the mic was being passed to him. . I don’t even know what the question was. Even if he did, he couldn’t possibly be expected to think of an answer in this state. Maybe I can pretend to be sick. Hell, I won’t even have to pretend. I am sick.

Then came another whisper. “Are you okay, Jonginnie? It’s your turn to introduce yourself.”

Kai reacted at once, almost robotically. “Ahnyeonghaseyo! EXO-K Kai imnida!”

There was a roar of laughter from the crowd. Kai’s eyes widened in shock as he turned to his side. Several of his fellow members were giving him amused and incredulous looks. Kyungsoo’s eyes in particular were ready to burst from their sockets. Then he saw Luhan, smiling at him, as brightly as ever. For a moment, he was back in his daydream. Snap out of it! yelled a tiny voice in the back of his head.

Before he knew it, Luhan was whispering something else in his ear. He found himself savoring the moment rather than listening to what his hyung was actually telling him. It sounded like it was in another language anyways. Incomprehensible sounds were followed by his name, or his stage name at least: Kai. . I was supposed to say the Chinese greeting. What was it again?!

Luhan noticed the boy’s confusion and whispered it again, slower this time. Kai repeated the phrase, exactly as his hyung had said it, not even caring what any of it meant.

The crowd responded once more, this time with cheers and high pitched screams, deafening sounds that Kai had never quite gotten used to. He hurriedly passed the mic to Luhan and fought to keep himself from carrying out his usual face-palm. If his skin had been as light as his neighbor, he would have been bright red by now. The natural tan hid it quite well, or so he thought.

“Don’t worry about it,” Luhan said to him softly, after finishing his own introduction.

Kai barely nodded, refusing to look up. He suddenly found the floor all too interesting and had no plans to partake in any more of this interview. The mess of awkward feelings replayed in his mind over and over until he felt Luhan’s hand on his back. His body knew the signal far too well. It was his cue to bow in unison with the rest of the members. Next thing he knew, delicate fingers had interlocked with his own. They were pulling him to the right, towards the exit. Once again, he obliged without question.

“How many times,” he could hear manager hyung muttering loudly as he left the stage. “And we still can’t even get the greetings right.”

“Sorry,” mumbled Kai, bowing his head as he walked by. Luhan only gripped his hand tighter.

“AHNYEONGHASEYO!” yelled Chanyeol in the dressing room. “EXO-K KAI IMNIDA!” Baekhyun was laughing hysterically until he saw the look on his dongsaeng’s face. Kai was still mortified, and it showed, despite his best attempts to hide it.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter