.....................................................

"I Promise"

 

She didn't remember much from the incident, except that her whole foot and lower leg felt like she had been stabbed by a million dull, rusty knives.  still ached from the shouts and whimpers of agony she’d released, lying in the middle of the basketball court, hands clutched around her injury in an attempt to keep it from hurting.

 

After the initial injury, it didn’t hurt so bad really, it was more her pride that paid the price. Especially once her husband found out about it and went on for over an hour about how he had warned her time and again that one day her sporty nature would get her hurt. He was kind in the end though, buying better pain medication and assisting her around their apartment and with their son in the first few days after her injury, the young woman not wanting to bother with crutches in the small spaces. He was like a good butler, fetching her drinks and preparing meals, ensuring she stayed off her foot so there wouldn’t be further injury.

 

But once the weekend was over Kibum couldn’t stay home from work any longer, even if Minjung had gotten the time she needed from work to recover.

 

She sat on the lounge that Monday morning, showered and dressed, staring blankly at the news playing on the TV, not really caring much for what was being said. So after half an hour watching Kibum sitting at the breakfast bench reading the paper while he sipped a mug of coffee, she decided it was time for a little more entertainment. “Minki~!” Minjung sang, listing out for the squeak of excitement her son always gave in return at being called.

 

With a glance in Kibum’s direction, she grinned when she realised he’d raised his head in interest, but then smiled when the small footsteps rushed their way. The boy had spent a lot of time in his room or in his toy corner in the living room since she’d been injured. “We can’t let Mummy’s injury hurt anymore, okay?” Kibum had explained to him, rubbing the toddler’s black hair with his hand as he’d nodded in understanding. It was where he’d run off to after they’d eaten breakfast together at the breakfast bench, making the two parents smile in adoration and in marvel at their son’s individuality.

 

Minki appeared in the entrance of the hallway and immediately Minjung could tell he’d been dressed by his father. While the clothing was casual enough, it was still one of the more stylish outfits their son had with black jean like pants, bright red shirt with a cartoon character design and a black jacket with a hood. He met Minjung’s gaze with mischief in his eyes before he, without any hesitation, rushed to Minjung, leaping onto the lounge and then launching himself into her arms, squealing with laughter the whole time.

 

The young woman eagerly hugged the boy, playfully growling at him before she peppered his face with kisses, his cheeks burning red with laughter. “My precious little peanut! I love you!” She cooed.

“Love you t-woo, Mummy.” Minki replied, giggling as Minjung lightly squeezed his sides and blew a raspberry against his cheek.

 

Seated in her lap, Minki on two of his own fingers with eyes glued to the TV once Minjung switched the channels to children’s programs. She held the boy gently, leaning her cheek against his unruly hair, enjoying his immediate company. Minki was her pride and joy, and he had the perfect representation of both herself and Kibum. He was active and rough-and-tumble, but also had an undeniable artistic side to him and could sit still for over an hour if given enough paper and crayons. His personality was still blooming, but he was definitely a confirmed chatterbox and smiled his slowly growing amount of teeth to any stranger who met his eye. He was perfect.

 

When Kibum walked over, fixing the tie he’d chosen for work that day, Minjung tilted her head up and followed him as he sat beside her, leaning one arm on the back of the lounge, lying across her shoulders. “Now promise me you won’t do anything stupid while I’m gone.” Kibum stated, leaning his forehead to hers. “And that means: don’t walk anywhere you don’t have to, use the crutches if you do have to go somewhere. And be careful. I know you want to just get going and be well but that can’t happen if you don’t rest up properly, alright?”

 

She huffed, pouting. “Yeah, I know.”

 

“Minjung. Promise me.” He insisted.

 

Minjung rolled her eyes in a way her husband would, but she met his gaze nonetheless and nodded. “I promise.”

 

His smile was radiant before he lightly kissed her nose and then her lips, a gesture he’d given her for many years now, but never failed to leave her feeling tingles in her fingertips. “That’s my girl. Now, Minki, say goodbye to Mummy, we have to go.” He said, standing from the lounge and walking to the front door, picking up Minki’s little white and blue sneakers.

 

"Wait.” Minjung muttered, arms automatically tightening around Minki. “Kibum, where are you taking my baby?"

 

Kibum sighed, though the slight smile was easily visible through it. "Honey, he's three years old.” He reminded her as he walked over and put the shoes on the boy’s feet. “And I'm taking him to the daycare."

 

"But he's not scheduled there until tomorrow?" Minjung whined, not wanting to be without the bundle of energy. Monday was her favourite day of the week as she got to spend all day alone with their son. 

 

"I asked if he could come in today so you can continue to rest." He replied, emphasising his reason so she couldn't have an argument on the matter. 

 

“But... it’s Monday...” She muttered softly, giving her husband the best Bambi eyes she could muster.

 

“Don’t bother, Minjung. It’s already been arranged.” Kibum said flatly, then addressed their son as he picked up the remote and turned the TV off to get his full attention. “Say goodbye to Mummy, Minki.” He said, kissing Minjung once more, letting it linger just an extra moment, and then walking back to the front door to slip his own shoes on.

 

Minki mumbled unhappily, turning to wrap his arms around Minjung’s neck before Kibum gave him a hard stare in warning. "Bye Mummy." He said sadly, but pressed a slobber filled kiss to her cheek.

 

"Be good, little peanut." She told him, pursing her lips to get another kiss before she reluctantly let him go. The boy darted to Kibum’s side, grabbing his hand and pouting back at Minjung as if she could save him. “Bye.” She added with a wave as Kibum lead the boy out of the apartment. Leaving her alone with the dogs. “I guess it’s just us now, huh?” She said to them, the two poodles looking up at being addressed, each sitting in their own beds to one side of the living room.

 

It took all of an hour for Minjung to become bored, so bored that even trying to sleep didn't appeal in the least. She was so used to moving around during her day, either for work, or when she was minding Minki. Not to mention by this time in the morning she’d have gone for a jog with the dogs and walked back to the grocery store with Minki after Kibum left for work and had started on some of the housework. Without being able to do those things she felt unbearably lazy. Not to mention that soon enough the dogs would begin to show their restlessness.

 

“I’m sure a little stroll around the block won’t hurt too much, right?” She figured, standing with the assistance of one crutch. She then limped over to the front door where two harnesses and a dual lead were hanging on a hook. “Comme Des, Garçon, come.” She called, carefully sliding down the wall and balancing on one foot. “Time for a walk!”

 

It was one of the joys of owning the dogs, when they came running to take a walk. They were always so eager, so happy and excitable, jumping and to try and get their harness on first, as if it would mean whichever had theirs on first would be out the door before the other. She chuckled softly at them, patiently fastening the harnesses on without too much trouble.

 

With the dogs in their harnesses she used the crutches to swiftly rush to the room she shared with Kibum to change her pyjama pants to her legging like sports pants and threw a hoodie on over the top of the singlet she was already wearing. As she tied her maroon coloured hair up into a suitable bun, she looked in the mirror hanging on the wall and tried not to think about how frustrated and annoyed Kibum would be if he found out she broke her promise.

 

“It’s only one loop around the block. And it’s for his dogs as well.” She reasoned. “He’s the one who made the decision on his own and brought them home without asking me. And now I’m the one who walks them.” She mumbled to herself. It was true though, even if the last sentence was a bit of a lie as they walked the dogs together on the days neither of them worked and sometimes late in the evening when either Kibum’s or her own mother was watching over Minki. Kibum was still the person who had made the decision to bring the puppies home and while she adored them to pieces and enjoyed their company a lot, especially in the time she’d been on maternity leave, a lot of the time the care of the dogs fell on her, simply because she was home more than Kibum was.

 

It wasn’t anyone’s fault necessarily, just the way it had become.

 

When she got back to the front door the two dogs were whining at her, ready to begin their walk already. “Yes, yes, okay give me another second.” She told them, slipping awkwardly into one sneaker and then carefully putting a sandal on her injured foot. It was the ugliest sandal she’d ever seen – they all were, but this one was particularly awful – but the pair had been cheap and did the job easily so she had to just grin and bear it.

 

Half way around the block Minjung began to realise just how bad of an idea it had been to try walking with her injury. While the dogs were accommodating to the slower than usual pace, she still had trouble keeping up and ended up taking a rest on the doorstep of a café for several minutes before pushing on.

 

“I regret everything.” She announced to the empty apartment when she finally returned, lying on the floor beside the front door as the poodles sniffed and her face. Laughing softly, she removed their harnesses in turn and then let them go busy themselves around the apartment while she continued to lie there for a long while; her ankle feeling like it was visibly throbbing in pain, her leg tingling as if she was being pricked by many little needles. “Aaaah, Kibum can’t ever find out about this…” She mumbled.

 

Changing back into her pyjama pants and tossing her hoodie on the bed, Minjung quickly returned to the lounge as if Kibum would walk through the door any minute, and decided in the end to play video games. There were several that she had been meaning to catch up on for the past few weeks

 

She enjoyed all kinds of games, but seeing as the games that were suitable for Minki to watch - something he enjoyed a lot especially the soccer games - had been finished by her a few times over, she hadn't been able to complete the games she could only play when he wasn't around. So she spent a good few hours slaughtering zombies and man alike until she felt her muscles ache from sitting so still for so long. It was strange to her to realise all of a sudden, that in her youth she could sit and play games all day long without needing breaks, but now she was so used to being busy with her day that even a few hours was too long. 

 

Standing as she stretched arms above her head, she figured that she could do the laundry at least seeing as there was enough for a complete load and she was running out of underwear anyway. Using her crutches she made her way around the apartment picking up stray clothes belonging to Minki and the ones tossed around the room she and Kibum shared - cheeks a little warm as she recalled the reason for their haphazard positions. Now that she thought of it, it had been near a week since they'd had . Not that it was a problem or anything. Their love life was quite healthy, actually, but they were busier since the early years of their relationship when they could barely keep their hands off one another. Not to mention that Minki was in the room right next door to them. 

 

"I wonder if mum would take him for us sometime this week..." She pondered as she filled the front loaded washing machine that was usually hidden away in a hallway cupboard.

 

She made nothing more than a mental note to make a call to her mother later and then returned to the lounge, the two dogs soon joining her, competing silently for a space on her lap as the young woman channel surfed. By the time she’d found something even remotely interesting to watch, Minjung was petting the dozing dogs idly, feeling her eyes drooping enough that she was soon fast asleep.

 

It was the dog’s leaping off her lap that woke Minjung what felt like moments later, startling a gasp from her that turned into a pained whine as she tenderly turned her neck which had been strained in a strange position due to the way she’d fallen asleep. The clock on the wall read four in the afternoon, indicating that she’d slept for a little more than three hours. Groaning in annoyance, Minjung slowly stood, using one of the crutches to support her weight. “I’m not gonna sleep well tonight…” She commented, knowing that a mid-day nap was the worst thing she could have actually done. At least, she supposed, the chances of her being awake enough later in the evening would have some advantages.

 

If she could convince Kibum of such a thing.

 

With a sigh, Minjung loaded most of the clothes from the washing machine into the dryer and then put the rest in a small basket to hang them on the rack currently folded in the spare room Kibum used as a study. While it was awkward balancing on one foot while she hung up the last of the washing, Minjung felt satisfied that she had completed something even while she was injured. Kibum probably wouldn’t be pleased, but really other than her walk earlier – which he would definitely not know about, ever – she hadn’t done anything particularly strenuous.

 

Hobbling back into the living area, she began to pick up items left lying around – mostly Minki’s toys – and tidying the room up, before getting the vacuum cleaner out and giving the entire apartment a good once over. Once satisfied that she’d tidied and cleaned enough, Minjung put the cleaner away and headed for the kitchen. If she got started on dinner now then it would be close to complete when Kibum returned home with Minki.

 

Her ankle was beginning to strain terribly by the time she heard familiar voices and accompanying footsteps making their way down the hall, indicating that her husband and son would soon be entering the apartment. Hoping to alleviate at least some of the pain, Minjung relied on the countertop to keep herself steady, balancing on one foot as she stirred a curry in on the stove.

 

With the decision that it was best to keep her back to Kibum when he entered, hoping to avoid seeing the disappointment on his face, she didn’t turn when she heard the keys jingle or the door open.

 

“Awwaah~ Daddy, something smells good!” Minki commented, Kibum’s hum of agreement following shortly after. “Where’s Mummy?” The child quizzed then, his sock clad feet making little sound on the wooden floors as he entered the house.

 

“I don’t know, kiddo. Why don’t you take your bag to your room and I’ll find Mummy for you?” Kibum suggested.

 

The boy needed little else to motivate him as he rushed passed the small kitchen as he called out in excitement. “Okay!”

 

Minjung prepared for the worst, pretending to focus entirely on the curry as she felt Kibum’s presence approach her. While she was sure he wouldn’t be furious with her, because it would take more than standing on one foot in the kitchen to incite such a rage from her husband. It was the sound of Kibum clearing his throat that Minjung finally turned her gaze, finding Kibum leaning a shoulder against the pantry door, arms crossed, eyebrows raised in question. He looked more annoyed than anything else, but in the end Minjung could only smile, no matter how pathetic it ended up being. “Hi honey?”

 

“Hi honey, yourself.” Kibum stated, pushing off the pantry, placing a plastic bag of groceries on the breakfast bench and then taking the three strides to her side. “And what are you doing cooking when you should be resting?” He asked softly, one hand cupping the elbow of her free arm to help keep her balanced.

 

“I wanted to have dinner cooked for you and Minki when you go home…” Minjung replied as she pouted slightly, refusing to look directly into his eyes. “Kibum, I’ve felt so useless today… and bored.”

 

Kibum’s features only softened further at her explanation and he leaned his nose into the crook of her neck, wrapping his arm around her waist. “I’m sorry, Minjung. I should have gotten another day off to keep you company.”

 

Shaking her head, brushing her chin along his shoulder, Minjung clung to the back of his coat. “It’s okay. I mean, I tried to keep myself occupied the best I could…”

 

Kibum pulled back and smiled warmly at her, caressing her cheek with one hand, kissing her lips ever so softly. “Why don’t you let me finish dinner and you sit yourself back on the lounge where you belong?” He suggested, an air of an order in the way he spoke though she knew there was no threat in his tone.

 

Although she grumbled, she was secretly grateful as she hobbled back to the lounge, her ankle now throbbing in the most uncomfortable kind of way even without any pressure being applied.

 

Looking back to the kitchen, Minjung smiled as Kibum stirred in a few more spices to the curry, tasting the mix and making a satisfied sound to himself. Most wouldn’t have seen Kibum as the domestic type in their high school days, back when she would have gagged at the idea of dating the one person in the grade who she couldn’t get along with. Remembering such a time almost made her laugh aloud, recalling the day in university when she’d literally slammed into Kibum, found herself seeing him in a new light and accepting an offer for coffee without even thinking.

 

He had changed after high school. He wasn’t as arrogant or pushy. He’d settled down a bit, in both his over-the-top personality and in his life, living in his own apartment with a roommate. He was also studying interior designing – a job he explained, as his palms hugged a coffee mug, that he’d always dreamed of having.

 

In a few short weeks he’d kissed her for the first time and the rest, as they say, was history.

 

As if he’d known she was drifting into daydream-land, Minki came rushing back into the living area, his voice squeaking in excitement as he ran to Minjung, leaping into her lap and immediately launching into a jumbled description of what had happened that day at daycare. She listened patiently, asking questions where needed and giving him the desired expressions of interest.

 

“So Mummy can we get a kitty?” Minki suddenly asked as he finished off telling her around how a young girl at his daycare had brought in a kitten for show and tell – or rather the girl’s mother had brought the kitten in.

 

Minjung noticed the way Kibum chuckled from the kitchen, shaking his head. “Uuuh, I’ll talk to Daddy about it.” She told the boy.

 

“Okay.” Minki replied, satisfied with this response.

 

Smiling as he climbed off her lap and went for his box of toys, Minjung settled for watching him play until Kibum informed them that dinner was ready.

 

“So, my dear, what else did you do today?” Kibum asked her, arm around her waist as he helped her back towards the living room, Minki now comfortably in bed. “Other than doing the washing and cooking dinner and cleaning the apartment.”

 

Minjung cringed just a little. “I didn’t move that much though.” She lied, hoping to dissuade Kibum’s concerns. “I promise.”

 

“Uh huh.” Kibum said, definitely not believing a word she said. “Because you’re doing ten times worse now than this morning for no real reason at all.”

 

To avoid the comment, Minjung shrugged and left his side to hobble on her own to the lounge, almost collapsing onto it with an exhausted huff, raising her injured foot to examine it. Even inside the bandages it looked horribly swollen and coming up her leg the skin was beginning to grow red. She sighed. “Honey, can you get me a fresh bandage and the cream?”

 

Without a word, Kibum did as she asked and when he returned he knelt in front of her and began unwrapping the old bandage for her. “Admittedly, I shouldn’t be helping you, you know, teach you a lesson for being reckless. But I’m not that cruel and I need to set a good example.”

 

Minjung frowned. “An example for who?”

 

“For you.” Kibum replied, gingerly cradling the ankle in one hand, giving the swollen area a careful glance over. “God, honey. What did you do today?” He demanded.

 

Minjung sat back as she avoided the question, gnawing down on her bottom lip.

 

Kibum’s response was an annoyed sigh as he began rubbing in the anti-inflammatory cream into her skin. “You need to look after yourself, Minjung.” He scolded her. “I know you need to be active and you’re used to being on the move all the time, but the last thing I want is for you to be struggling to walk for the rest of your life because you can’t sit still for a few weeks.” He stated. Placing the cream aside he reached for the fresh bandage and prepared to wrap it, holding her foot at the right angle before he began binding. “I wouldn’t be so hard on you if it wasn’t serious. You know that.”

 

“I know…” Minjung muttered.

 

When Kibum didn’t answer the topic dropped and Minjung just watched in silence as Kibum firmly wrapped her ankle just as the doctor had shown them. Her eyes glanced over his arms, now that he was wearing an oversized sleeveless shirt, the muscles shifting as he moved. Then her gaze fell to his face, taking in the sharp features of his nose, eyes and lips, the line of his jaw, how his dark hair – previously styled back immaculately – fell in random strands over his forehead.

 

All in all, he was simply breathtaking.

 

“Kibummie?” She whispered as he finished binding the bandage. His response was a hum, raising his head to look into her eyes. “Can we skip the movie?”

 

He frowned in question, one hand still cradling her ankle while the other caressed the underside of her calf. “Why? What’s wrong?”

 

Shaking her head, Minjung smiled. “There’s nothing wrong I just think I’d rather cuddle in bed.” She explained, unable to believe that she was beginning to blush like a teenager. “And maybe... more than cuddle.” She added with a particularly heavy look to her eyes as she bit on her bottom lip just so.

 

Kibum’s returning smile and adoring chuckle was enough of an answer as he shrugged. “Okay.” He allowed. “For the record though, you only have to ask for . There’s no need to dance around it.”

 

Minjung hid her face in her hands, trying not to laugh in her embarrassment. It was true they had never bothered with pretending like the word “” couldn’t be used. In fact, they let it become a natural word in their lives because it was something that happened. The only person they didn’t use the word freely around was Minki, the main reason being he was prone to parrot anything said around him. Truthfully, she hadn’t been trying to dance around the word either, she was more or less trying to get Kibum to work out what she wanted without her having to explicitly say so. Perhaps it was the constant thought of it during the day that made her do so, but either way she was now embarrassed beyond imagining.

 

With hands over her face, she missed when Kibum stood so he could reach under her knees and behind her back, the man lifting her effortlessly off the lounge. “I can walk.” Minjung stated in annoyance, though she clung with her arms around his neck regardless.

 

“Yes.” Kibum agreed as he carefully carried her through the hallway, turning off lights as he went. “But I’m not going to let you.”

 

Kibum lay her down on the bed, his actions slow and careful, leaving her there for a moment as he turned off the main light and then proceeded to light several of the candles placed around their room. Then he closed the door, turning back to her, leaning casually against the wood.

 

“I wonder.” Kibum muttered, slowly approaching her as he pulled his shirt off, letting it fall to the ground without hindrance. “Just how much did you think about this today?”

 

Minjung let out a deep breath, excitement bubbling in her nerves. “More than I want to admit.” She replied.

 

Chuckling as he reached the bed, Kibum knelt one knee on the mattress and cupped her cheek with one hand, guiding her into a sweet, longing kiss. “I’m going to do all the work tonight, Minjung.” He informed her, staring into her eyes with a flame of determination in his gaze. “You’re just going to lie there and enjoy every moment.”

 

Her pleasured gasp was swallowed by another kiss, fast fingers already teasing at the hem of her shirt as Kibum lay her down on the bed.

 

 

 

 

 

This took me way longer than I wanted to get finished ;;; but I got so distracted with other things in life that fics took a backseat... this doesnt mean I'm back and there'll be another tomorrow, but I do hope my pace keeps the same as it is now... I may not get my wish but I can keep hoping :)
Thanks for reading~!!