Arrival

Alpha Dog
I pulled out my pack of cigarettes as I walked out of the arrival hall. The cold winter breeze was like a slap to the face as the cold Korean weather greeted me. I lit up my cigarette and took a puff, letting the warmth fill my lungs. I watched as the smoke escaping my lips disappear into the vast sky. Such a beautiful day. Hopefully my life will be as beautiful as the sky today.

Inhale, exhale.

The effects of the nicotine was instantaneous, making me light-headed. Such a nice feeling. Almost feels like losing bl-

“DAN!”

I spun around to find a red-headed girl walking towards me, her hands waving high above her head.

“Oh! Solji noona!”

I couldn’t help but crack a smile. I stubbed my cigarette out and approached the girl with open arms. Embracing her tightly, I felt a familiar warm sensation spread throughout my body.

“God I miss you! How have you been? You’ve grown so much! You’ve become such a handsome young man!”

Solji noona cupped my face and was turning it around trying to take a good look of my face. Her face was beaming in glee, smiling from ear to ear. I could see tears forming in her eyes and that somehow struck me. I could feel my heart pang as I remember the good old times we had. I could feel a small grin tug at the edges of my mouth.

“Ya noona, enough already hahahaha! I’m doing fine, thanks for asking.”

“Oooooohhh, been practicing your Korean huh?”

“Of course! I’m going to live here from now on anyway, so might as well practice.”

I couldn’t stop myself from hugging her again, appreciating this reunion.

“Where’s the rest?”

“They’re at the dorm we rented for you. They’re preparing a welcoming party for you. It’s been a long time since they’ve met you. LE and Hani have been looking forward to today for days now.”

My muscles stiffened at the mention of her name. A wave of guilt wash over me as my chest started aching, memories of what I did flooding my mind.

“Hani…. Is she…. How is she?”

Solji noona could sense the uneasiness and tension in my voice and she gave me a small smile. Her hands gripped my shoulder gently, trying to assure me.

“She’s been looking forward to seeing you again. She misses you, Dan-ah. We all do. C’mon or else we’ll be late to the party.”

She held my hands and led me to the carpark, taking charge like she usually does. Finally, I get to see my family once again. Most of them, anyway.