Two

Threads of Maybes and Might Have Beens

Chap 2

First I want to thank all of you guys who commented and encouraged me to continue, because without that, I would not have even thought to. 


It’s been a little over thirteen months since Sooyeon had last seen Eunbin.

The other girl looked…for lack of better term, older. Perhaps it’s the way her ash brown locks fell in waves down her back – longer than Sooyeon remembered, or perhaps it’s the sunken shadows around her eyes that even the excess make up couldn’t cover up.

Suddenly Sooyeon was hit by the urge to seize Eunbin by her immaculate collar and demand to know why she hadn’t been sleeping well. She probably hadn’t been eating well either judging from the sharpness of her cheekbones, either that or Eunbin’s grown out of those baby cheeks that had felt so soft under her –

“You two know each other?” Mirae’s confused voice dragged her back down to reality.

And Sooyeon’s acutely aware that she’s standing in the middle of the hallway with her suitcase handle in one hand and gaping open like a fish. Eunbin didn’t look much better, frozen in the doorway, eyes wide like a deer in the headlights.

“Uh…yeah, this ah…This is Park Eunbin, my…my friend from Seonam Girls’,” Sooyeon stumbled over her words because what exactly was Eunbin to her? She used ‘friend’, but that implied some sort of regular contact, and she hadn’t spoken to the other girl since she left. Yet friend didn’t seem to be the right word, it felt wrong. Not strong enough, not anywhere near adequate to explain what they hav—had.

“Hi,” Mirae greeted Eunbin in her usual overly-enthusiastic way, by enveloping the poor girl into a bone-crushing hug, “I’m Kang Mirae, I met this lump of fun at Suncheon high school. Nice to meet you.”

Sooyeon’s a little too busy trying to gauge Eunbin’s reaction to retaliate to Mirae’s teasing dig. Eunbin recovered a lot faster than Sooyeon expected, smiling slightly as she titled her head in a small bow and returned the greeting, “Nice to meet you Mirae-ssi. Um…Are you my roommate?”

Sooyeon’s mind was working at the speed of light, trying to decipher what Eunbin meant. She sounded hesitant, did that mean that she didn’t want Mirae for a roommate? (Sooyeon wouldn’t exactly blame her, she loved Mirae, but sometimes her friend can be a bit much) Or perhaps she was afraid that Sooyeon would be her roommate.

Eunbin’s hands reach up to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear—an old habit she had born out of nerves. Was the idea of Sooyeon being her roommate that nerve wracking to her? Nerve wracking in a bad way? Or a good butterfly in her stomach way?

Wait, why did Sooyeon herself care about that? And which one was she feeling at the mo—

“Earth to Sooyeon,” Mirae said, waving a hand in front of her face.

“Sorry what?” Sooyeon shook her head, wondering how much of a fool she had made of herself.

“I said ‘No that honour belongs to this stupefied monkey’, and you just stared into space. Are you feeling ok Sooyeon?” Mirae asked, genuinely concerned as she pressed the back of her hand to Sooyeon’s forehead, “Normally you’d be all snark-fu right now. Maybe you should go lie down for a bit.”

 “Yeah, I think I should. I’ll see you at dinner later ok?” Sooyeon agreed quickly. She didn’t need an audience for this.

Eunbin stepped aside as Sooyeon hauled her stuff inside. Idly she noted that their dorm room isn’t all that big, just enough space for two beds, two work tables and a pair of wardrobes. Not exactly a lot of space to successfully avoid each other all semester long.

The door clicked audibly as Eunbin pulled it shut. There’s a palatable silence as Eunbin pattered over from the door and Sooyeon internally debated on whether to stay standing up or to sit down on her bed.

Eunbin decided for her, sitting down one of the beds, gesturing for Sooyeon to do the same as she ripped the words straight out of Sooyeon’s head.

 “We need to talk.”

Sooyeon sighed, and nodded in agreement. Because there was definitely going to be a ‘talk’. They’re roommates, for better or for worse and they had to sort it out before everything becomes a mess.

Then again, Sooyeon thought wryly as Eunbin’s right hand curled around the sheets, clenching them in her fist tightly, they might already be a mess.


I really didn't expect much when I posted the first bit, it was just some rambling after watching episodes 11 and 12, and it got a surprising amount of support, so I figure, I might try to do an actual story about them and hopefully do it some justice. Of course after that I didn't really know where to lead it, and then I ran into my ex the other day and well...it just happened, lol. So you can thank my mess of a love life for this xD

Also I'd like to recommend a very good Seonam Girls fic (about Sooyeon and Eunbin of course) it's called 'permanently blue for you' by Kokiche (The links will lead you to AO3). 

So, what do you guys thinks? And if you have any suggestions on where you'd like things to go or any cameos, feel free to make them-- really they might be the only thing that makes the next chapter happen, haha.