4. Every Step Counts

Love Express

Junmyeon had been tutoring Eunkwang for close to two weeks now. Since then, the boys had grown closer to each other but Eunkwang was still oblivious to Junmyeon's feelings for him and Junmyeon had made no effort to make his affections for Eunkwang known. 

It was a Friday when Eunkwang's parents went away to visit his grandparents in Jeonju. Since Eunkwang had to go to school and mainly because of his bad grades, he did not go with his parents to Jeonju. 

"Please take care of my house and Eunkwang when I'm away." Eunkwang's mother said to Junmyeon's mother before she left.

"No problem. You take care, too." Junmyeon's mother said.

"I will be back next Sunday or Monday. I'll see you then." Eunkwang's mother said.

"Feed the cat and don't let it out of the house after 7, okay?" Eunkwang's father instructed Eunkwang.

"Got it, dad." Eunkwang said.

Junmyeon came home just in time to see Eunkwang's parents leaving and his mother waving goodbye to them. He waved goodbye to them as well and saw them drove off.

"Where are they going?" Junmyeon asked his mother.

"They're going to Jeonju to visit Eunkwang's grandparents." Junmyeon's mother replied.

"Is Eunkwang going with them?"

"No. He's not going anywhere with his bad grades and his mom wants you to continue coaching him."

When Junmyeon heard that, his heart fluttered. While it is his job to see to it that Eunkwang becomes better in his studies, he secretly hopes that Eunkwang would continue to do badly in his studies so that he has an excuse to see Eunkwang. It sounds selfish but everyone is allowed some degree of selfishness when it comes to someone they like, right? Although Junmyeon had those selfish thoughts for a moment there, it was nothing more than thoughts. Junmyeon was too kind for anything like that. 

Me: I will come over in the evening, okay?

Eunkwang:OK! 


"Show me how you get this answer." Junmyeon requested.

It was late evening when Junmyeon went over to Eunkwang's house to tutor him. They studied at the living room. Eunkwang worked out the solution in his book and showed it to Junmyeon as requested. Junmyeon nodded and smiled.

"Looks like you finally understood this topic! Let's move on to function." Junmyeon said.

The boys were discussing on the second question on function when Eunkwang received a message on his phone. He unlocked his phone to check the message and he immediately froze. Junmyeon was still talking and showing Eunkwang how to answer the second question when he saw Eunkwang staring blankly at his phone. 

"Eunkwang...Eunkwang..." Junmyeon shook Eunkwang to get his attention but Eunkwang ignored him. Eunkwang then stood up suddenly and went for the front door.

"Stay here. I'll be back soon." Eunkwang said and sped off on his motorcycle.

Junmyeon looked at the spot where Eunkwang and his motorcycle used to be a few seconds ago. He was left all alone and confused. What made Eunkwang react in such a way? Just then, the family cat came up to Junmyeon and Junmyeon picked it up and it. As he was the cat, his eyes landed on a silver object.

Eunkwang's phone.

Junmyeon was tempted to look at it. Eunkwang left the house in rage because of something that he had seen in his phone. What could it be? Junmyeon was getting more and more curious. But then again, it was not right to look at other people's phone without their consent. Junmyeon was thrown into a dilemma and he battled with himself if he should look at the phone.

However, as time ticked by, he found himself lowering the cat and sitting on the floor, close to the table. His hands slowly rested on the table and his mind began to work at double the speed. Seconds later, he was already holding Eunkwang's phone. Junmyeon took in several deep breaths and with shaky hands, he pressed the 'Home' button on Eunkwang's phone, lighting up the screen. Junmyeon then slid his fingers across the screen and he didn't know if he should be thankful that Eunkwang had no additional security added past the 'Slide To Unlock' screen. 

Junmyeon closed his eyes and gulped. He slowly opened them again and he saw a picture of a guy and a girl kissing on the screen. He looked at the picture for several minutes before coming to the conclusion that Eunkwang was mad at the guy for kissing the girl. If he came to the correct conclusion, then the girl in the picture was...Eunkwang's girlfriend. Junmyeon placed the phone back on the table and felt his eyes stinging a little. 

"No! No! Don't cry, Junmyeon! This doesn't mean anything! And you're not supposed to look at Eunkwang's phone!" Junmyeon told himself.

He sniffed and busied himself with the math questions he brought along with him. As he continued solving those math problems, he got more and more into it and eventually the picture he saw in Eunkwang's phone left his mind. About half an hour later, Junmyeon had finished solving all the math problems. He checked the time on his own phone and it was already 10.15 p.m. He began to worry about Eunkwang. Where could he possibly be? Junmyeon couldn't call Eunkwang to check on him because Eunkwang left his phone at home. Junmyeon paced back and forth but that was all he could do and it was of no help at all. The worse thing that happened was all this pacing back and forth made Junmyeon even more anxious. Eventually, Junmyeon sat on the couch, trying to calm himself down. However, his eyelids started getting heavier and he drifted off to La La Land...

Junmyeon's eyes shot open when he heard the roaring sound of a motorcycle engine. He jumped up from the couch and looked outside to find Eunkwang taking off his helmet. Junmyeon breathed a sigh of relief when he saw Eunkwang. At least Eunkwang was safe. But when Eunkwang entered the house, Junmyeon was shocked. Eunkwang's face was bloody and bruised!

"What happened?" Junmyeon asked. Eunkwang didn't answer but went and sit on the couch.

Junmyeon remembered the picture he saw of the guy and girl kissing in Eunkwang's phone but decided against speaking about it. He looked at Eunkwang again, who was just sitting on the couch battered and bruised. Junmyeon wanted to touch him, to hold him, to make the pain go away. But he knew he was not the one Eunkwang had in mind to do those things. 

"I...I think I should go." Junmyeon picked up his stuff and headed for the front door.

"Wait." Eunkwang said, making Junmyeon stop in his tracks. "Stay with me...please?"

Junmyeon opened his mouth to say something but closed it again when no words came out. He gave Eunkwang a small smile and went and sit next to Eunkwang. 

"My girlfriend cheated on me with another guy. So...I got into a fight with him..." Eunkwang said.

When Junmyeon heard the word 'girlfriend', his felt a stinging sensation in his nose like he was about to cry. He mentally slapped himself for being so sensitive. So what if Eunkwang has a girlfriend? Why wouldn't he anyway? He's handsome and he knows how to ride a bike! And everyone knows a guy who rides a bike is considered cool and y! Junmyeon did not say anything and waited for Eunkwang to continue.

"It hurts...it hurts so bad...how could she?" Eunkwang continued.

Junmyeon patted Eunkwang awkwardly on the shoulder. His eyes shifted to the wounds on Eunkwang's face that needed cleaning and dressing. 

"Um...maybe...you should do something with your wounds. It's bleeding." Junmyeon said.

"Let it bleed then. Let it hurt so that I will remember the pain." Eunkwang said.

Junmyeon couldn't take it anymore. Why was Eunkwang acting like that? All that for a girl who cheated on him? It looks like Eunkwang needed some sense knocked into him.

"Yah! Seo Eunkwang! Why are you acting this way? Why are you torturing yourself like this? She was the one who cheated on you! It's not your fault! She's stupid for leaving a hot and y guy like you! If it was me, I would never ever do that!" Junmyeon spat out those words before he could stop himself. When Eunkwang furrowed his eyebrows at Junmyeon, Junmyeon gasped, realizing what he had just said. 

"I-I-I mean - " Junmyeon's stuttered, his face was as red as a tomato. However, Eunkwang chuckled before bursting out in laughter.

"Thanks for the compliment, I guess." Eunkwang said.

"You're...welcome?" Junmyeon said, looking away and unsure of himself.

"The first aid box is over there," Eunkwang said and pointed to where the first aid box was. "Can you get it for me?"

Junmyeon went to where Eunkwang had pointed and found the first aid box. He then took it with him and set it down on the table in the living room. Junmyeon waited for Eunkwang to open the first aid box but Eunkwang was waiting for Junmyeon to help him with his wounds. When Junmyeon did not do as expected, Eunkwang looked at Junmyeon in anticipation. Junmyeon was confused.

"What?" Junmyeon asked.

"Take care of my wounds." Eunkwang said nonchalantly.

"Huh? Do I have to?" Junmyeon's voice became unusually high.

"Yes. The wounds are on my face. I can't see it."

"B-B-But...you have a mirror, don't you?"

"I'm being a bother to you now, right?" Eunkwang pouted.

"No, no, no! Okay! I'll do it!" Junmyeon quickly said and opened the first aid box.

As he was cleaning Eunkwang's wounds, Eunkwang flinched in pain. As such, he made sure he did it as gently as possible so as to not make Eunkwang hurt any further. After he was done applying medication on Eunkwang's facial wounds, Eunkwang took off his shirt, surprising Junmyeon.

"I was hit really bad here," Eunkwang said, gingerly touching his rib. "Can you take care of this, too?"

Junmyeon swallowed and nodded. He reached for some medication and gently applied it on Eunkwang's wounded rib. Although it was quite awkward having to look at Eunkwang's upper half while trying to surpress his teenage hormones all while helping Eunkwang with his hurting rib, Junmyeon was nevertheless happy that he could do something for his crush. At least, he was the one who was there for Eunkwang when he needed someone, although it may not mean a thing to Eunkwang.

It was already 1.30 in the morning when Junmyeon finished taking care of Eunkwang's wounds. Since it was already past midnight, Junmyeon figured he should go home. 

"Junmyeon." Eunkwang said before Junmyeon left the house.

"Yeah?" Junmyeon replied.

Eunkwang went up and embraced Junmyeon's body in a hug. Junmyeon's face instantly heated up.

"Thank you." Eunkwang said.


The next day, Junmyeon went over to Eunkwang's house around 11 a.m. Junmyeon's mother had told Junmyeon that she will be home late and she had marinated some chicken for both Junmyeon and Eunkwang. Junmyeon only had to cook the chicken for a while before they eat it. The boys continued to catch up on the topic of function which they had missed out last night due to the incident with Eunkwang's girlfriend. They studied until about 3 p.m. when both of their stomachs started growling.

"Look at the time! No wonder our stomachs are growling!" Junmyeon exclaimed.

"Shall we go to your house then?" Eunkwang asked.

"Okay, let's go."

Once the boys were back in Junmyeon's place, Junmyeon went to the kitchen to prepare their lunch. Junmyeon heated some oil in the wok and began cooking the chicken. The delicious aroma brought Eunkwang into the kitchen. Just then, oil spilled from the wok and it burned Junmyeon's hand.

"OUCH!" Junmyeon cried.

Eunkwang quickly turned off the stove. He then took Junmyeon's injured hand in his and looked at it with eyes full of concern.

"Aish! How are you so clumsy?" Eunkwang remarked. 

Junmyeon was about to answer Eunkwang when Eunkwang did the unexpected - he on the oil burned part of Junmyeon's hand.

"Eun..." Junmyeon couldn't even finish saying Eunkwang's name as he was in too much shock.

"This won't do. We need to put a plaster on it. Come on." Eunkwang said.

Junmyeon took some ointment and plaster out of the first aid box in his house. He wanted to apply the ointment and plaster by himself but Eunkwang insisted on helping him. Throughout the whole time Eunkwang was attending to his injured hand, Junmyeon was blushing and his heart was racing like mad. Eunkwang cared for him and of course, Junmyeon was over the moon. But still, a small voice in his head was giving him some practical advice.

Enjoy this moment while it last but don't be fooled, Junmyeon!