2. The Plan

Love Express

"Guys, are you sure this is a good idea?" Chanyeol asked.

He, along with Jongdae and Baekhyun were standing in front of Loco Banana, a dessert shop specializing in banana based desserts. After Junmyeon rejected their invitation to hang out on the weekend for the third time yesterday, the boys cancelled their plan to go swimming and came to pay The Uncle a visit instead. The Uncle was Jongdae's father's friend in high school. Apparently, The Uncle was an expert when it comes to despite being single all his life.

"Don't tell me you want to back out now, Park Chanyeol." Jongdae said.

"Yah! I didn't give up swimming for nothing!" Baekhyun argued.

"No, that's not what I meant. I mean...if we do this, aren't we like invading Junmyeon's privacy?" Chanyeol asked.

"What the...are you kidding me?" Jongdae said, not quite believing his ears.

"Come on, Chanyeol! Don't act all innocent around us! You're dying to know the answer too, don't you? Don't you?" Baekhyun surprised Chanyeol by forcing him into a chokehold and ruffling his hair.

"Yah! You're messing up my hair! Well...you're right. I am dying to know the answer." Chanyeol said.

"Then stop standing outside the door like an idiot and come in!" Jongdae called from inside the shop, holding the door for his friends. He had already enter the shop when Baekhyun and Chanyeol were busy messing with each other.

Once the three of them stepped inside the shop, they realized that they were alone. No customers in sight and no one at the counter. 

"Hello?" Jongdae called out.

Suddenly, someone popped up from behind the counter, startling all three boys. It was a tall, voluptuous woman with heavy eye makeup. On closer look, the woman turned out to be a man in drag. He smiled at the boys and said welcome to them before directing them to sit at the table at the far right corner of the shop. While the boys were seated and the man in drag picked up three menus for them, the three boys whispered among themselves.

"Is that The Uncle?" Baekhyun whispered.

"Honestly, I don't know." Jongdae whispered back.

"WHAT?" Chanyeol's whisper was too loud it almost sounded like he suffered from a sore throat.

"What's the problem, boys?" 

The man in drag's sudden appearance made the boys jump literally. He set the menu down on the table and smiled at them. Although his smile was warm and reassuring, the boys can't help but feel that it was getting a little too creepy for their liking. 

"Actually...are you The Uncle?" Jongdae summoned all the courage in his little body to ask the question.

"The Uncle? OH! The Uncle!" The man in drag said excitedly and started laughing. The boys laughed along awkwardly.

"No, I'm not The Uncle. But...if you want..." The man in drag stretched out his hand and Jongdae's cheek. "I can be your uncle."

"Wh-wha wait! We have something to ask you!" Jongdae quickly said before the man he assumed to be The Uncle could go any further.

"Okay. I will answer your question. But first things first. What do you guys say to trying my special self-made banana chocolate milk?" The man in drag winked at all three boys.

"Self-made banana chocolate milk?" Chanyeol repeated.

"Mmhmm..." The man in drag nodded.

"Uh...no thanks?" Baekhyun said, unsure of himself.

Just then, the front door was opened and in walked a balding man who appeared to be in his late 40s to early 50s. The three boys and the man in drag turned to look at him. 

"You ! What do I always tell you about serving young boys your special self-made banana chocolate milk?" The man who just entered said.

"Jeez! I was just joking, Uncle! But!" The man in drag smiled creepily at the three boys again, causing them to squirm in their seats. "If you ever want some self-made banana chocolate milk, call me! Miss Cha Cha is always here at your service~!"

"Cut the out and bring the boys some of MY self-made banana chocolate milk!" The balding man said before taking his seat across the boys. 

"He, she..." Baekhyun started.

"I prefer she, darling~!" Miss Cha Cha said and blew Baekhyun a kiss. Baekhyun gulped.

"Um...she called you Uncle. So, are you The Uncle?" Bakhyun asked.

"Who. Asked. You. To. Call. Me. That?" The man asked. The three boys looked at each other before Jongdae timidly raised his hand up.

"You...you must be Jongdae, am I right?" The man continued.

"Yes, Uncle." Jongdae replied. The man's eyes widened and he looked like he was about to explode. "Uh...what should we call you then?"

"Unnie. You are to call me Unnie. Do you all understand?" And thus, The Uncle became known as Unnie since.

"Yes, Unnie." The three replied in unison.

"Good. Now, you." Unnie pointed at Chanyeol. "Tall, thin, dorky looking with puppy eyes...you must be Chanyeol."

"Yes, Uncle! I mean Unnie!" Chanyeol quickly corrected himself when he saw Unnie's nostrils enlarging.

"And you," Unnie pointed at Baekhyun. "Short in stature with innocent eyes...Baekhyun."

"That's me, Unnie." Baekhyun said.

"Very well then. Looks like I still have some mad skills. Anyway, I understand from Jongdae's message that you all suspect that one of your friends is gay and he's secretly dating behind your back." Unnie said.

"That's right, Unnie. We were supposed to go swimming today and we've invited Junmyeon along but he declined. This is the third time he rejected our invitation to hang out on the weekends." Chanyeol said.

"And every time we asked, he gave us the same excuse. He's always telling us he needs to tutor his neighbor, Eunkwang." Baekhyun chipped in.

"My dad used to say how you're an expert in this so we thought maybe you could tell us if what we've been suspecting all this while is true." Jongdae rounded out.

"Oh~ your dad~" Unnie giggled a little.

"Uh...yeah..." Jongdae said, a little confused.

"Okay put your dad aside for now. Let me take a look at Junmyeon." Unnie said. The three boys took their phones out and settled on Baekhyun's phone. Baekhyun tapped into the gallery of his phone and searched under the folder "Sweet 16" where he celebrated his birthday with his three best friends 2 years ago. He flipped through the pictures until he reached a short video of Junmyeon.

"There you go, Unnie." Baekhyun handed the phone with the video playing to Unnie. Unnie looked at the screen rather intensely, as if in deep thought. After the video stopped playing, he handed the phone back to Baekhyun.

"You know, it's actually quite hard to tell who's gay or straight in this day and age. Some men may be very feminine but they are straighter than a stick while some tough looking guys prefer the bat and balls over the pink blackhole - " Unnie said but he was quickly cut off by the three boys' giggles. "Are you sure you're 18? You giggle like a 5 year old! Anyway, I have a plan."

The three boys leaned in closer when Unnie beckoned them to go near to him. He reached into his jacket and pulled out a leopard print swimming trunk.

"Plan A. The Wet and Wild."


Surprisingly, Junmyeon said yes to hanging out with his three best friends the next day. Jongdae suggested they go swimming since they missed it the previous day to which everyone agreed. However, Jongdae, Baekhyun and Chanyeol had some very different idea as to why they wanted to go swimming.

"Is this going to work?" Chanyeol asked.

"If the expert says yes, I doubt it won't." Baekhyun said.

"As usual, Junmyeon is always the last to arrive." Jongdae said.

"But it's too easy, don't you think? If a pair of swimming trunks can determine whether Junmyeon is gay or not, then what do you call that?" Chanyeol said and pointed to a group of three guys in various animal print swimming trunks. However, the guys were surrounded by three other girls and from the looks of it, the girls were their girlfriends since they were acting intimate.

"Chanyeol, haven't you heard of hags? I bet those girls are!" Jongdae said.

"A what?" Chanyeol asked.

" hag. A straight woman who spends a lot of time with her gay best friend." Jongdae explained.

"Wait a minute, Jongdae. Why do you know so much?" Baekhyun raised an eyebrow.

"Because I can." Jongdae said proudly.

"Sorry guys! I'm late again!"

The three boys whipped their heads around and found Junmyeon standing in front of them panting for air. He was still fully dressed.

"No surprises there." Baekhyun said.

"I had to help my mom with some stuff around the house. I'm so sorry!" Junmyeon apologized again.

"Helping your mom? Are you sure you're not helping Eunkwang instead?" Jongdae smirked.

"What the hell, Jongdae?" Junmyeon snapped.

"Yah, why are you mad at me, Junmyeon? What did I do?" Jongdae asked.

"I-I...nothing!" Junmyeon said, his cheeks turning a little red.

"You're not gonna come in the pool like that, are you?" Chanyeol pointed at Junmyeon's outfit.

"Oops! Be back in a jiffy!" With that, Junmyeon dashed off to the changing room.

"Boys, are you all ready for this?" Jongdae asked.

"Never been so ready in my life." Baekhyun said.

"Let's see how this turns out." Chanyeol said.

About 5 minutes later, Junmyeon emerged from the changing room. The boys looked excited but their excitement was quickly killed when they saw Junmyeon wearing a pair of board shorts that covered his knees.

"Who's ready to rumble? Woohoo!" Junmyeon said and dived into the pool. "What are you guys waiting for? Come on!"

Junmyeon's three best friends looked at each other and sighed. Looks like Plan A had failed.


"But he got mad at me when I mentioned Eunkwang's name though." Jongdae said. 

"And I noticed him blushing." Baekhyun added.

"Me, too!" Chanyeol agreed.

The boys were back at Loco Banana one week later. Instead of requesting Junmyeon's fellowship this particular Saturday, they decided to look for Unnie again since Plan A failed to give them what they wanted. Usually they would give up after one attempt but because they were so convinced something fishy was going on between Junmyeon and Eunkwang, they were determined to find out the truth.

"So...maybe Plan A was not the best way to figure out whether Junmyeon is gay or whether he's dating Eunkwang. But don't worry, I always have another plan." Unnie said.

"What is it?" Baekhyun asked.

"Cha Cha-yah! Bring out the Lovey Dovey!" Unnie called out from his seat.

"Lovey Dovey? Oppa~ since when did you name my secret weapon Lovey Dovey?" Miss Cha Cha said and winked at not just Unnie but the three boys as well, causing the boys to squirm in their seat.

"! Not that, Cha Cha! Don't play! You know what I'm talking about! And make it quick!" Unnie commanded.

"Fine~! Please wait a moment~" Miss Cha Cha disappeared into the store room and a few moments later, she approached the table with a tray of alcohols with varying concentration and a small bucket in the middle. Upon seeing the alcohols, the boys' jaws dropped. When they were about to touch the bottles, Unnie slapped their hands away.

"No, not until I say the magic word! Junmyeon's birthday is coming, right?" Unnie asked.

"Actually it was over a few days ago." Chanyeol replied.

"That's okay. Have you celebrated with him yet?" Unnie enquired further.

"We were supposed to celebrate it together with Baekhyun's birthday but he told us he had to tutor Eunkwang." Jongdae said.

"Hmm...as far as I know, Chanyeol is a baby so this is off limits. And the same goes for you, Jongdae. Baekhyun, only you can take part in Plan B." Unnie said.

"What?!" Jongdae and Chanyeol said in unison.

"You're not fully 18 yet. I can't take the risk, no." Unnie shook his head.

"Unnie~ please~ I'm turning 18 soon anyway~! Let me take part in Plan B, too~!" Chanyeol resorted to aegyo to convince Unnie.

"Yeah Unnie~! Please~!" Jongdae did the same.

"Can you stop it with the aegyo? Damn!" Unnie scolded. The three boys giggled, knowing they have succeeded.

"Now, listen carefully." Unnie lifted the bucket and set it down on the table. "One part whiskey, two part beer, one part soju and three part rum and top it off with a straw. Let Junmyeon take the first sip. If it doesn't knock him out, encourage him to sip more until you're sure he's drunk enough to tell the truth. Remember, as long as he's sober, don't even think about getting a tiny sip!"

"I can't wait to try it out!" Chanyeol said.

"Yeah, me too!" Baekhyun and Jongdae said and grinned at each other.

"Good. I look forward to what you have to say about Plan B, Lovey Dovey." Unnie said.


Baekhyun invited Chanyeol, Jongdae and Junmyeon to his house the day after he, Chanyeol and Jongdae met with Unnie. The purpose was to celebrate both Baekhyun and Junmyeon's birthdays. The four boys were hanging out at the veranda of the house. Needless to say, Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Jongdae had different things on their mind when the invitation was extended to Junmyeon.

"Finally we are able to do this!" Baekhyun exclaimed.

"Where's your parents, Baekhyun?" Chanyeol asked.

"They went on vacation in Jeju Island. So we have the whole house to ourselves!" Baekhyun said.

"And to think the holidays just started! Sweet!" Jongdae quipped.

The boys continued to make small talks before Jongdae made eye contact with both Chanyeol and Baekhyun when Junmyeon was not looking. They understood it was time to initiate the Lovey Dovey. 

"Junmyeon, since we're celebrating our birthdays, don't you want to try something totally new and fun?" Baekhyun said.

"New and fun? What do you have planned?" Junmyeon asked.

"Boys, bring it out." Baekhyun said.

Junmyeon watched as Chanyeol and Jongdae went inside Baekhyun's house to retrieve whatever it was that Baekhyun asked them to bring out. Seconds later, they returned with a tray of alcohols and a small bucket in the middle. Junmyeon's eyes widened in shock.

"A-A-Alcohol?" Junmyeon stuttered.

"Yah, we're already 18. Relax!" Baekhyun gave Junmyeon's shoulder a little squeeze.

"Only you and me, Baekhyun. Jongdae and Chanyeol are still underage!" Junmyeon reasoned.

"Um...so...? Nobody's around. Just the four of us." Chanyeol said.

"Yeah. Just the four of us." Jongdae repeated.

Junmyeon hesitated a little before finally agreeing to consuming the alcohol. However, Jongdae and Chanyeol got a little too excited after they had mixed the different alcohols together in the bucket according to Unnie's recipe. Instead of letting Junmyeon take the first sip of the concoction, the two of them fought for the first sip of the alcohol. Baekhyun and Junmyeon tried to stop them for different reasons but they were both knocked out minutes later.

"Aish! Those two babos! Anyway, why don't you try it?" Baekhyun took the bucket and held it out to Junmyeon.

"Me first? But your birthday comes first." Junmyeon said.

"It doesn't matter! Come on!" Baekhyun urged.

"I know! Let's do it together!" Junmyeon suggested.

"Uh - " Baekhyun started.

"Don't think, just do it!" Junmyeon cut Baekhyun off and Baekhyun had no choice but to sip the alcohol mixture together with Junmyeon.

Baekhyun and Junmyeon showed surprisingly strong alcohol resistance as both of them managed to empty the bucket and still remain sober. Jongdae and Chanyeol were already snoring away on the floor. However, the alcohol effect started to kick in about 15 minutes after they finished the Lovey Dovey and the two birthday boys found themselves sprawled out on the couch in the living room.

"Jun...myeon...tell me...you...are...with...Eun...kwang...right?" Baekhyun said lazily. Even though the alcohol was making him very sleepy, he managed to summon up what sobriety he had in him to ask Junmyeon the question.

When Junmyeon did not reply, Baekhyun looked over and found Junmyeon fast asleep. Baekhyun groaned before letting sleep consume him.

Unbeknownst to Baekhyun, Jongdae and Chanyeol, Junmyeon actually heard Baekhyun's question. He opened his eyes for a while before closing it again. For the short time his eyes were opened, there was a kind of sorrow in them.


"Babo! Babo! Babo!"

Unnie knocked Jongdae, Chanyeol and Baekhyun on the head with a paper fan. 

"I told you to control yourselves and let him take the first sip! But you acted like babos! Aish!" Unnie fanned himself angrily.

"We're sorry, Unnie. We should never have let our lack of self control get in the way." Chanyeol said.

"Yeah, sorry." Jongdae said.

"But Unnie, I was able to ask Junmyeon if he was going out with Eunkwang." Baekhyun said.

"But did you get the answer?" Unnie asked.

"Uh...no. He was already sleeping." Baekhyun hung his head low in shame.

"I was counting on Plan B but it didn't work as well. It's okay though. Because I still have Plan C." Unnie said.

"You still have Plan C?" The three boys said in unison.

"Of course I do! Okay, I admit Plan A was probably the worst plan to start off with but that's a classic plan. And Plan B...you boys ed it up! Now if Plan C won't work, it could only mean two things." Unnie said.

"What are the two things?" Baekhyun asked.

"One, Junmyeon is not gay and he definitely is not dating Eunkwang. Two, I'm forced to sell Loco Banana and move out of Korea forever." Unnie said.

"Huh? But why?" Chanyeol asked.

"Because it would mean that I have lost my touch and I'm not the expert I was all those years ago." Unnie sighed before continuing. "Anyway, let's move on with Plan C."

"What's Plan C called?" Jongdae asked.

"Plan C, A Camping We Will Go." Unnie said.