3. It Started As A Crush

Love Express

Jongdae: Junmyeon, we're inviting Eunkwang for the camping trip!

Me: WHAT?

Baekhyun: That sounds like a good idea, Jongdae! ^_^

Chanyeol: Oh yes! Let's take Eunkwang along with us! :D

Me: Guys, I don't think that's necessary.

Jongdae: Don't you worry, Junmyeon. We'll be at his place in 5 minutes.

Me: Haha very funny Kim Jongdae!

Me: Jongdae?

Me: Baekhyun? Chanyeol?

Me: Hello?

Me: Yah! Babo! Don't play!

Me: #^$^*Q@(*^^!!!!!!!!!

Junmyeon panicked as he re-read Jongdae's last message in the group chat. He frantically searched for Eunkwang's number in his phone and pressed 'Call'. However, Eunkwang did not answer. Junmyeon cursed under his breath and raced downstairs, well aware that his three best friends are capable of anything. When he stepped out of his house, he saw Jongdae, Chanyeol and Baekhyun talking to Eunkwang. Junmyeon stood rooted to the spot. He was at a loss for words and he didn't know what to do.

"Junmyeon!" Baekhyun waved excitedly at Junmyeon when he saw him.

"Hey, Junmyeon." Eunkwang's y, just-woke-up voice sent chills down Junmyeon's spine.

"H-H-Hi E-Eunkwang!" Junmyeon stuttered, his voice unusually high. "And you guys! What are you doing here?"

"We were about to invite Eunkwang to join us on the camping trip." Jongdae said.

"It sounds fun to me. Please wait for me while I go pack." Eunkwang said and was about to enter his own house again when he stopped to look at Junmyeon. "See you in a bit, Junmyeon."

"Huh? Yeah...okay..." Junmyeon blushed. But he quickly recovered and went on to confront the boys.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Junmyeon hissed.

"Isn't it obvious we're inviting Eunkwang to join us? Duh!" Jongdae said.

"What is the meaning of this? I thought it's - " Junmyeon was cut off when Chanyeol placed a hand on his shoulder to calm him down.

"Take a chill pill, Junmyeon! We're only asking him to come along since you're always talking about him." Chanyeol said and winked.

"If our best friend is always occupied with someone other than us, we'd like to get to know him better too. Right, guys?" Baekhyun quipped. Chanyeol and Jongdae nodded in agreement.

Before Junmyeon could say another word, Unnie's voice came from the car.

"Yah! Get Junmyeon to hurry up with his packing!" Unnie said.

"What? Who's that?" Junmyeon asked. If he wasn't confused before, he sure was now.

"Oh, that's the organizer of the trip. But go and pack before we formally introduce you to each other." Jongdae said.

"I thought it was just the four of us going on the camping trip! You didn't say - " Junmyeon began.

"I didn't say it was just the four of us going camping. Did I?" Jongdae interrupted Junmyeon cheekily.

Junmyeon balled both of his fists up and let out a frustrated groan before returning to his house to pack. Jongdae, Chanyeol and Baekhyun chuckled among themselves. Their plan was going well so far.


Jongdae introduced Junmyeon and Eunkwang to Unnie once they got in the car. However, the car ride to the camping site was awkward to say the least for the first 15 minutes. Junmyeon and Eunkwang were seated next to each other and even though they have become closer recently, not a word was exchanged between them. The same goes to Chanyeol, Jongdae and Baekhyun as though none of them knew each other. It wasn't until Unnie spoke that the awkward silence was broken.

"Why are you all so quiet? Have all of you lost your tongue?" Unnie said.

"What? No, my tongue is still here." Chanyeol replied.

"Babo! It was figurative speech!" Baekhyun whacked Chanyeol lightly on the head.

"You boys have something to ask Eunkwang, don't you?" Unnie prompted.

"Yeah...Jongdae, why don't you do the honors?" Baekhyun said and smiled at Jongdae.

"What?" Jongdae and Junmyeon said at the same time.

"Wait, what's going on?" Junmyeon quickly added.

"Well, what do you wanna know?" Eunkwang asked, surprising everyone.

"Um...it's actually a really simple question. How did you guys become so close?" Jongdae asked.

"Ah, that's really simple. Junmyeon and I became close because he tutored me." Eunkwang replied.

"Is that all?" Baekhyun asked, eyeing Eunkwang suspiciously.

"What do you mean 'is that all', Baekhyun?" Junmyeon sounded alarmed.

"Junmyeon, how about you tell us how you became close to Eunkwang instead?" Unnie suggested.

Junmyeon looked a little hesitant but as he was thinking about it, a small smile appeared on his face. He recalled how it all began...


Junmyeon had grown up living with his mother since his father passed away when he was very young due to an accident. Before the accident, his father left behind the current house that they were living in. Junmyeon had been living in his current neighborhood for as long as he could remember. On the other hand, Eunkwang had only moved in with his family 5 years back. Although they were next door neighbors, Eunkwang and Junmyeon were nothing more than acquaintances. It wasn't until about 2 years ago that Junmyeon started noticing Eunkwang but somehow Eunkwang seemed to be oblivious to Junmyeon's interest in him. 

One day, Junmyeon was walking home from school as usual when he saw Eunkwang washing his motorcycle. Eunkwang was shirtless and it attracted Junmyeon's attention. Junmyeon could only look at Eunkwang as he continued washing his motorcycle. He was so focused on the shirtless Eunkwang that he didn't hear Eunkwang calling his name. It wasn't until Eunkwang sprayed water at him that Junmyeon snapped out of his reverie. Embarrassed at himself, Junmyeon blushed furiously, apologized profusely and quickly ran back to his house. During dinner that night, Junmyeon had a conversation with his mother that would change the way things were forever.

"Junmyeonie, can you help tutor our next door neighbor's son, Eunkwang?" Junmyeon's mother asked.

"Eunkwang?" Junmyeon almost choked on his food.

"Omo, omo! Take your time, Junmyeonie! Yes, Eunkwang. His mom told me he is getting worse in his studies. Since you're so good in your studies, I told his mom not to worry because you will help him out." 

"Eomma~ why didn't you discuss this with me beforehand?"

"I'm discussing this with you now."

"What? That's not...okay, fine!"

"That's my Junmyeonie! I know you will do it for eomma!" Junmyeon's mother patted him on the head. "Besides, I've already collected 200,000 won from Eunkwang's mom."

"Huh? Eomma~! Why'd you do that?"

"Come on, Junmyeonie. It's going into your college fund."

"But still...eomma! You really should discuss with me first!"

"Look, Junmyeonie! These are all your favorite dishes that eomma specially prepared for you! Eat up!" Junmyeon's mother said,ignoring Junmyeon's whines.

The next day, Junmyeon's mother took Junmyeon next door to tell her neighbor that Junmyeon had agreed to tutor Eunkwang. Although Eunkwang's mother was excited, Eunkwang was distracted as he was occupied with his phone the whole time the two mothers were talking. But to Junmyeon's advantage, he was able to study Eunkwang's features in depth. It was then that Junmyeon knew for sure he not only had a crush but he was crushing hard on the hottie in front of him.

The first time Junmyeon tutored Eunkwang was a Saturday. Junmyeon had went over to Eunkwang's house as requested by Eunkwang's mother. Eunkwang's parents were going out but before they left, Eunkwang's mother called him from the car porch several times to wake him up. When Eunkwang walked out of his room's balcony, Junmyeon let out an involuntary gasp. Eunkwang was shirtless once again! If Junmyeon's heart was not beating fast enough already, imagine how fast it beat when Eunkwang told Junmyeon to go straight to his room! 

"Make yourself at home, Junmyeon. Thank you so much and please make sure he studies, alright? Bye!" Eunkwang's mother said before she went on her way.

"Okay, I will. Drive safely. Goodbye." Junmyeon replied. After that, he made his way to Eunkwang's room.

"Hey..." Eunkwang's husky voice made Junmyeon jump a little when he opened the door for Junmyeon.

"Hi..." Junmyeon managed. 

"Why don't you prepare first? I need to sleep just a little more." Eunkwang said and went back to bed to get more sleep.

"Uh...okay..." Junmyeon said. Junmyeon pulled out the chair at Eunkwang's study table, sat down and started to sort out his notes. Just then, Eunkwang's phone which was on the study table rang. 

"Eunkwang...Eunkwang..." Junmyeon shook Eunkwang gently and when Eunkwang opened his eyes slightly, Junmyeon handed Eunkwang his phone.

"Hello?" Eunkwang said as he answered the incoming phone call. "Yes, dear. I'm up. I'm studying with my friend. A guy. I miss you. Can I see you sometime soon? Okay. Talk soon. Bye."

Junmyeon's heart broke a little when he overheard the conversation Eunkwang had with whoever it was over the phone. Did Eunkwang just called someone dear? And told them he missed them? And he wanted to see them sometime soon? Junmyeon didn't even realize that he was crumpling an important piece of note in his hand.

"Junmyeon? Yah Junmyeon! That note..." Eunkwang said, pointing to the note in Junmyeon's hand. Junmyeon looked at the note and gasped.

"Oh my God! I'm sorry! Please excuse me for five minutes!" Junmyeon said and locked himself in Eunkwang's bathroom. Junmyeon looked at his own reflection in the mirror and said out loud in his head Kim Junmyeon! What are you doing, babo? Snap out of it! 


In the blink of an eye, Junmyeon had been tutoring Eunkwang for a week. Junmyeon realized that Eunkwang does not really pay much attention when he is teaching; Eunkwang would be busy texting on his phone every now and then. Even if he did pay attention, he would zone out pretty quickly and Junmyeon had to explain the same thing to him all over again. This particular day was no exception.

"Let's see...in this question, x is given as 3. So we will multiply this by 3 and then - "

Before Junmyeon could finish talking, he felt something heavy on his shoulder. He turned his head slightly to find Eunkwang's head on his shoulder. Junmyeon may find math to be interesting but for Eunkwang it was the kiss of death. It was no wonder that Eunkwang had fallen asleep. However, a small smile crept on Junmyeon's lips and he continued to let Eunkwang be.