First Impressions

Serendipity

Hayoung's yourarrow-10x10.png) POV:

"Hayoung-ah!" It was my childhood best friendarrow-10x10.png, and we were both elementary students again.

"Jungkookie!" I waved, motioning him to sit beside me. We were at the park, where we used to always play together.

"Yah, I told you to call me oppa!" Jungkook pouted.

I giggled. "You're only only 6 months older!"

Jungkook kept pouting.

I giggled, and whispered, "oppa." I thought he didn't hear me.

"What Hayoung? I couldn't hear that very well. Could you repeat it again?" Jungkook asked playfully. I could hear the smirk in his voice.

"Stop it, oppa!"

"There! You said it, Hayoungie!" He laughed and ruffled my hairarrow-10x10.png. "Jal hae suh, dongsaeng good jobarrow-10x10.png, little sister)." Then it was my turn to pout.

He laughed a little at my pouting, then suddenly grew quiet. I could see a glint of worry in his eight-year-old eyes.

He cleared his throat. "Hayoung... I have to tell you something."

"What is it?"

"Well, before I tell you, I need you to promise me that you will never forget me, and that we will stay friends forever, until the day we meet again."

My heart stopped. "Kookie, what do you mean 'until we meet again?' We are going to grow up together, just like we have... Right Kookie?" My voice began wavering.

No answer.

"Kook-ah, jinjja roh (seriously)... Stop messing with me!"

"I'm moving... To Americaarrow-10x10.png..." Tears began welling up inside of me, and I looked down.

"W-what? Are y-you going to be back soon?" I whispered.

"I don't know..."

There was an aggravating silence, and for what seemed like hours we said nothing.

"Hayoung... I will come back. And when I do, I want you to be the first person that greets me. I-I really like you... Will you wait for me?"

"Jungkook oppa..." Then the tears I was holding back came spilling out. I couldn't help it. But in a matter of seconds, I felt a pair of arms around me. Not strong, for they belonged to an eight-year old, but comforting enough for me not to ever forget the feeling.

"Will you wait for me?" That phrase echoed in my head repeatedly.

Jungkook, I have been waiting for the past nine years. Where are you?

 

*Beep beep beep!*

 

The clock read 6:30 AM.

I groaned, not able to openarrow-10x10.png my eyes- or rather, not wanting to. I sighed. It was the dream- again. Every so often, I would dream this flashback of my childhood. It hadn't been happening for about half a year, but ever since last week, I had been dreaming the same thing every singlearrow-10x10.png night.

*Beep beep beep!*

I snapped back into reality at the sound of my alarm. Today was the first day of second semester, and as much as I wanted to sleep in all day, I certainly could not be late!

I ran to the bathroom, washed up, and went through my regular makeup procedure. I usually did my makeup quite neutral- light eyeliner, sheer eye shadow, mascara, and light pink lip gloss. Then I ran back to my roomarrow-10x10.png, threw my uniform onto the bed, and changed into the navy pleated skirt, light blue blouse, and gray jacket. Gosh, why did these uniforms have to be so complicated!

I grabbed a pair of socks, and my backpack, and ran downstairs, where my mom greeted me.

"Morning, Hayoung-ah! Did you sleep well?"

"Well enough, umma. What's for breakfast?"

"Oh, the usual. To-go or for here?"

"To-go, please. I have to meet up with my friends at the bus stop!"

When my mom handed me my to-go breakfast, I grabbed it and ran out the door. "Bye, umma!"

My mom and I are in a pretty solid relationship. When my dad passed away, we only had each other, and I think that's why we are even closer than we had been before appa's passing. I guess you could say we act like we're sisters rather than mother and daughter.

 

When I reached the bus stop, my best friendarrow-10x10.png Yeryung greeted me, along with a few other girls I usually hung out with.

Although I was quite a "nerd" when it came to academics, I did well with my social life, a few other classmates waved at us, and I smiled in return. I could see through my peripheral vision a group of seniors from our school checkingarrow-10x10.png my group out. Yeryung, who had the body of Sistar and looks of Girls' Generation, and had supposedly gotten pretty used to this kind of attention, winked back at the boys, who cheered at the attention given to them.

"Yah, Yeryung! What if they think you're actually interested?" joked Hana, one of my friends.

"Who cares? Besides, who could ever resist this princess?" Yeryung joked in return, flashing a model pose, which resulted in all of us laughing as we climbed onto the bus. In reality, Yeryung was not at all conceited, and in fact, almost 80% of the things she said were either in sarcasm or as a joke.

On the bus, Jiyeon, another friend, started another topic of conversation within our group. "Did you guys hear? There are seven new students coming to Se Kang today!"

"Ooh, are they cute?" I asked, jokingly.

"I saw one of them on the last day of first semester; he stopped by to confirmarrow-10x10.png registration or something! He was pretty cute, but I only saw from a distance! I hope they have nice bodies~" Hana piped up.

"Yah~ you byuntae!" exclaimed Eunbi, playfully shoving Hana's arm. We all laughed.

 

When we reached school, we all parted ways to go to our lockers. Except me and Yeryung, of course. Our lockers were pretty close to each other, but we didn't have class together, but we usually walked with each other anyway.

"Hayoung-ah, I heard that one of the boys are in my class! I should try and talk to him, if you know what I mean." She winked at me.

I laughed at her playful-yet-eagerness. "Oh really? What's his name? Do you know?"

She sighed. "I wish... But that's okay! We'll find out by the end of today! I hope they're all hot..." She sighed- this time, dreamily.

 

Yeryung and I had parted ways, as we reached her class. I had yet to climb up another stairway, carrying my English and Korean textbooks. I looked out the windowarrow-10x10.png next to the stairs. The weather was so pretty, with the sky so blue and--

CRASH!

I looked down to see my books and papers scattered around the stairs, as students rushed upstairs, trying not to steparrow-10x10.png on my papers.

"What the-" I looked up angrily, only to see the sunlight reflecting on a quite well-structured face with an apologetic expression.

"Oh, I'm sorryarrow-10x10.png, are you alright? I should have looked where I was going. My apologies!" His voice sounded so melodic, as he knelt down to pick up my books and papers.

"I-I'm alright..." I murmured, dazed. Then I snapped back into reality and realized that maybe I should help him pick up my things.

However, he had already gotten everything together, and handed it to me. "My apologies again. My name is Seokjin, but you can call me Jin. And you are..?" He asked as he held out his hand.

"I-I-I'm... Uh... Oh! Uh. I'M HAYOUNG!" I said a bit too loud. I mentally cursed myself for sounding so stupid.

He chuckled. "I'll see you later, then, Hayoung." He winked at me and continued his way downstairs.

Just when I had gotten my books, papers, and self together, and after I had gone up the stairs, I ran into another something, this time falling onto the floor. It was two guys this time. Good thing that I had tightly held onto my things this time; it had almost become a reflex from a few moments ago.

"Oh, shoot! I'm sorry. You alright?" The guy on the right stepped up and offered me a hand. He had a face of a baby, but it was somewhat cute and flirty at the same time.

"I'm fine, thanks." I said as I took his hand.

"Well, thank goodness. Did it hurt a lot?"

"No, not really, I mean it wasn't a big fall."

"I mean when you fell from heaven." He winked at me. What the...

"Yah, Jimin, back off! We barely even met this young lady. What's your name, miss?" The first guy's friend stepped up.

"Uh... It's--"

Lee. Ha. Young. Your name is just as beautiful as you, jagi." The second guy said flirtatiously as he read off my name tag on my jacket. Jagi?

"Yah! You back off! You creeper, calling someone you just met 'jagi.'" Jimin shoved the other guy playfully.

"Shut up, Jimin. It was going well until you butted in! Anyways, I'm Taehyung, but you can call me V. See you, jag- I mean Hayoung!" He yelled as Jimin dragged him down the hallway.

I sighed as I glanced at my watch. Since when did the walk to class take 15 minutes instead of 3?

 

When I walked into Room 2-3, my class, I came in to see the usual- boys throwing paper airplanes and aimlessly flirting with uninterested girls, couples commenting cheesily about how they missed each other, and friends giggling and gossiping about the latest trends in Korea. I noticed a group of 3 guys sitting together, seemingly separated from the rest of the chaos in the classroom. I assumed they were new, as I knew just about every student in, not only my class but my entire grade by name. As class vice president, I thought it was my responsibility to get to know any new student and make sure they knew about their classes and things like that, so I decided to walk up to them and introduce myself. 

"Hi, I'm Lee Hayoung, vice president of this class. Are you guys new?" I asked as I flashed a welcoming smile at them.

"Wow, Namjoon, I'm so glad we came to Se Kang. The vice pres is such a cutie!" One of the boys exclaimed, as if I couldn't hear him.

"Shut up, Hoseok. Annyeong Hayoung, I'm Namjoon. I also go by Rap Monster, or Rap Mon. But I prefer Namjoon for personal reasons. And yes, we are new." Namjoon smiled, revealing his dimples, as he held out his hand for a handshake.

I shook it, and said, "annyeong, Namjoon." Suddenly something occured in my head. "Hey, uh, are you guys possibly friends with anyone named Jimin, V, or Jin?"

"Heyyy, she knows basically all of us! Namjoon, she's, like, the total package!" exclaimed the guy named Hoseok. He turned to me and said while smiling his eye smile, "I'm Hoseok, but you can call me J-Hope. And this is-- YAH MIN YOONGI!"

The third boy, who had been quiet all this time, turned out to be listening to music this entire time. I laughed at myself, for thinking that he was already asleep when the first class hadn't even started!

"Uh..HUh??" He exclaimed, jumping up from his seat and tearing off his earbuds. "Sorry, what was that?"

"Aigoo... Yoongi-yah, can you even go an hour without listening to music? Anways, this is Yoongi, but call him Suga."

"Hello, Suga." I giggled a little at his strange nickname, and a little at Hoseok and Namjoon's too. "What's up with the nicknames?"

"Don't mention it." Suga said, rolling his eyes. "They insisted that we make nicknames because we had 'too many to remember.'"

"Who are 'they?'" I asked.

"This is sort of a secret, but we are trainees and we live altogether!" exclaimed J-Hope excitedly.

"Wow, that's amazing! So will the six of you debut together?" I asked, genuinely interested in the fact that I had met potential celebrities.

"Well... It's actually the seven of us..." muttered Suga.

"Yeah, our maknae, Jungkook. He's in the class next to us, I think." Namjoon added. Wait a minute. What did he just say?

"Wait- what's his name?!" I yelled, a bit too loud.

"Jungkook... Jeon Jungkook." Namjoon said, cautiously. "Why are you so frantic all of a sudden?"

"Oh.. Um.. It's nothing. I thought I hear the name before. It's probably a mistake though. Don't worry! Anyways, I'll talk to you guys later!" I walked away and sat at my desk. Could it really be my childhood friend, Jungkook? No way. There are lots of people with the same name... I brushed away the thought as my teacher walked into the classroom.