Everybody was Best-Friend Fighting

Tulips & Daisies
Please log in to read the full chapter

(The following chaper contains coarse language. Readers' discretion advised.)

HAYI POV 

For the past week, I had completely ignored Hanbin’s messages and attempts to call me. After that night when he broke down at me, I realised I couldn’t be a best friend to him. I couldn’t even be beside him. Seeing his face made me want to stab him. It was a complicated feeling - the feeling of being used as an object for his misplaced affections towards Aera and the feeling of wanting to hug him and tell him everything was alright. I was too consumed with my feelings of betrayal to really comfort him for the latter though. All I could think of was that I was his rag doll, one he could devote love and time to. I was a replacement for Aera. I was angry at him and not talking to him freed up my time to hang out more with Ahyoung and Chaemin. The girls were beginning to resent me for ditching them a lot now.

“ Chae, what the hell? You’re talking to Jaewon? You know how long I’ve been crushing on him right? Why didn’t you tell me ?!”

Ahyoung had been crushing on Jaewon, the basketball captain in our school, for 2 years now, but was too timid to make a move on him. It was unlike her to be shy about things, but Ahyoung had her weak moments too.

“ We only started talking a week ago when he got my number to liaise with the cheer team for the upcoming championships we gotta help them cheer for.”

This was going to to turn ugly, i could tell. Chaemin was going to be ripped apart by Ahyoung. It was only a matter of when.

“You’re such a Chae. A week, how could you? I’m the cheer captain, I should be the one liaising with the team captains, not bloody golden-girl Jang Chaemin ?! I always knew you were acting all innocent. You secretly love the attention of guys, don’t you, Chae? Fine, go ahead, I won’t help you anymore. Go and gallivant with your pretty boys waiting in line for you, .”

Ahyoung stormed out of Chaemin’s room with her bag, slamming the door as she left. Chaemin looked over at me, hoping to get my sympathy.

I shrugged my shoulder and muttered “ Its not your fault Chae. Younggie’s just mad that you didn’t tell her I think. Tell Jaewon to contact her for the cheer thing though. That part seems strange.”

Chaemin looked at a corner of her room, biting her bottom lip before rolling her eyes. It was rare that Chaemin reacted this way, but I did think Ahyoung was out of line here. I left after I completed my work and reassured Chaemin that I would talk to Ahyoung for her.

Hey, I'm sorry

What did I do wrong, Hayi? Can we talk?

Please? It’s killing me, why are you mad at me?

Hayi? Why aren't you replying me....

I wrote a song for you Hayi… Please listen to it…

I’m sorry… Please reply me when you are ready to talk to me …

Hanbin had been continually trying to talk to me. A song? I had never had a guy write a song for me before. Though it was flattering, it still didn’t really pacify  my anger towards Hanbin. He still toyed with my feelings whilst he was in love with Aera and it would take more than a song for me to forgive him. I would be lying if I said I didn’t miss him. We had spent almost the entire summer together. The sudden stop in seeing each other’s faces made me feel empty. I had other more important things to settle though. Ahyoung and Chaemin. Who has time for Hanbin ?

The next few days passed by in a blur. I had no distractions and the only people I ended up speaking to were Ahyoung and Chaemin. I had to speak to them separately because Ahyoung was still mad at Chae over boy drama. Being the middle-man to mend this, I had to try. Ahyoung texted me first that day. 

Hey Hayi, am I being too harsh on Chae?

A little bit, I guess. It was wrong of her not to tell you, knowing your crush on Jaewon. That excuse Jaewon used to talk to Chae was pretty jerk-y too.

Yeah… To be honest, I’m not really angry at Chae for the Jaewon thing.

Oh yeah? Then what are you mad about?

Something in me was always insecure about having Chae around you know, what with her being so popular with guys. I never had guys treat me the way guys treated her. I get jealous of her sometimes. 

Younggie… You’re amazing. But I get what you mean, I get jealous of Chae too.

Chae’s actually not even that fun to be around to be frank. She’s really just a pretty face. In the cheer squad, that’s apparent too. You’re the ace, the flyer, and well, Chae’a just a supporting figure. She gets attention only because she’s pretty. I do all the screaming and the leading, and I don’t even get half the recognition she gets. It’s unfair and I don’t want to be mean, but its true right?

I’ve actually thought about that. I can relate with you Ahyoung. She’ll never understand how it feels to be 2nd choice all the time.

Hayi, I’m glad I have you.

My conversation with Ahyoung lead to the both of us refus

Please log in to read the full chapter