Converging Currents

Tulips & Daisies
Please log in to read the full chapter

HAYI POV 

We were on the road together. Hanbin sitting next to me felt so weird, so awkward, but the atmosphere felt surprisingly comfortable. We made some small talk about movies we had recently watched, mentioning the songs we loved from the concert we both had just watched. Hanbin showed me some videos he took from the concert. 

I realized Hanbin was an interesting person. I imagined him to be a social guy from the things I had heard about him from the girls and people he frequently hung out with in school. But, I found out he liked solitude. He watched movies alone sometimes. Then again, doesn't everybody? Pfft, why am I acting so stupid. God, I feel flushed right now...

" When I want to watch something, I just watch them by myself if nobody happens to be available. It's not lonely. The movie is there to communicate with you. "

This guy seemed detached from the world, as if he stood alone and chose to be different from the rest of people in the little ways he lived life. We related in a lot of ways and he knew how to crack light-hearted jokes that made me laugh unreservedly. I guess little artsy boy had that unexpected cute boy-ish charm, a big contrast to his 6 feet tall figure.

" She took it to the next level ... Right about here. It was amazing and I was so glad I filmed it down. "

Hanbin, was staring at his fan-taken video in pride and delight. I had failed to realize we were now sitting shoulder to shoulder, due to me needing to get closer to peer into his phone for the concert videos.

" Omigosh! This is golden. Could you send me the video?!"

It was an impulsive request but I didn't think much about it until he said the last statement as I exited the cab.

" Hey Hayi, give me your number? " 

Damn that cocky smirk on his face.

I was sitting in Ahyoung's room on a Saturday afternoon, figuring out the solutions to a differential equation when my phone vibrated. 

You got 3 messages from an unknown sender.

You received a Video message 

You received a Video message 

Hey, it's Hanbin. Hope you like the videos. 

That was fast. I felt obligated to tell Ahyoung that I gave my number to Hanbin but later decided against it. He was just sending me the videos right? It was a simple favour, nothing else. He liked Chae, nothing else would come out of it. I unlocked my phone and replied with a " Thanks Hanbin :) " and added his name into my Contacts before resuming my Math Homework. Before I could finish the question, the vibration my phone gave out once again interrupted my train of thoughts. I picked my phone up, a little bit against my will and saw something I would have never expected. Yeah, there I was, sitting with my math equations, staring at my phone like a fool.

What are you doing now, Hayi?

He was actually trying to start a conversation with me. I turned back to peek at Ahyoung who looked like she was ripping her hair out from doing math homework. Chae’s parents didn’t allow her to come today as she had spent yesterday out til late for the concert, so it was just Ahyoung and me studying in her room.

" Younggie? Did Chae tell you anything else about Hanbin? " 

Ahyoung lifted her head to look at me thoughtfully.

"Not really, I think Hanbin stopped texting her "  

That was weird. I decided to be polite and reply Hanbin, wanting to see how far he’d go with this.

Trying to do my homework before you interrupted me :/ 

Oh ooops I'm sorry. Since you're already distracted, you can talk to me right? 

You're quite a sneaky person. What do you want from me 😏

Talk to me. Help a depressed kid out here. 

Why should I talk to you, “depressed kid” ?

Hayi, I’m clinically depressed.

Fine, I’ll be you text buddy. Don’t be so desperate alright haha

I’m not kidding you, Hayi. I have depression.

Yeah I know, I was trying to lighten the mood up. I wasn’t kidding when I said I’ll be your friend though.

10 minutes. That’s how long it took for me to become Hanbin’s friend.

“ As the two plates converge towards each other due to the ascending limbs of the convection currents, the denser oceanic plate gets subducted under the more buoyant Continental plate. The subducted plate becomes fractured and partially melts.”

Ahyoung was memorizing her Geography notes on Lithospheric processes. At that point in time it seemed irrelevant to me, heck, everything seemed irrelevant to me.. I was only soon beginning to realize how destructive converging currents were, and didn't realize how hazardous those earthquakes and tsunamis that were soon to come my way could be.

I was still thinking ab

Please log in to read the full chapter