3/2

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful)

“Ajushi.”

She blinked down from her sitting position at the hood of her car when she felt unnecessary tugging at the hem of her loose Hawaiian souvenir shirt. “Eh? Ajushi?”

The said child just clicked his tongue as if he’s annoyed at her reaction. He shove her a piece of chocolate bar. “Can you please open it, ajushi?”

“Excuse me but I’m a wo-

“Yah! D.O ah! Uncle Chanyeol told us not to talk to strangers especially some weird looking stranger.” A pale kid with pouty lips came waddling in together with another young girl, hand in hand. The boy is holding what look like autographed picture of someone and the girl is holding 1000 won. Seriously?

She immediately recognized the little girl and wave at her when they come close but said kid just stare at her dumbly.

The tallest of the three upon noticing her wave then proceed to cover the little girl’s small from looking bravely at her which failed since he only look like a hissing kitten.  “Now that Suho mentioned it, this ajushi actually looks weird. He’s even mumbling to himself.” He added whilst still glaring at her.

She doesn’t know if she’ll laugh or be annoyed. Before she could introduce herself, the one called D.O spoke.

“Uh-uh and he’s in front of Uncle Luhan’s house. He might be a thief.” The girl with sleepy eyes nodded along before saying her own piece. “And my Uncle Luhan is very rich, look he even give me this money when me and my mom met him earlier.”

The two boys quickly look at the 1000 won like it was gold or something. Then the blonde kid, Suho, snorted. “My Uncle Kris is still the best. Look at what he gave me.” and the said boy reveal the thin looking piece of chocolate to them rather proudly. “It’s even made in Canaba.”

Huh?

“Haha. Pabo. It’s Calada.” The shorter boy argued.

What?

“It’s Canada.” She can’t help but in and all the three of them snap their heads and glare at her. Her eyebrow twitched in annoyance. How dare these midgets?

“Your uncle is cheap.” The girl continued afterwards and seriously, is she really that invisible?

“My Uncle Zitao is the best. Look at what he gave me.” She had to stifle her laugh when the boy showed the autographed picture. “He said I could buy anything, all I need to do is show them this picture.”

She scrunched her nose. When can a Zitao-posing-with-his-Gucci-bag-picture buy anything?

“Then your uncle is really a pabo.” The short boy probably heard what she whispered and look back at her pouting and the beginning of tears threatening to fall from his eyes.

“Oh, , .. .” She immediately kneeled in front of the said boy. “Oi, midget. Don’t cry.” But the opposite happen and the boy just wailed, his mouth hanging open. Soon the two other kids joined in the battle cry.

“Oh God.” She groaned in frustration. This is why she hates children.

A laugh was heard from afar that made her stand up. Oh god, will someone arrest her?

“For someone as beautiful as you, I don’t think it’s your hobby to bully children, Minri ah.”

She turns around and saw Luhan smiling at her while leaning at the gate of his their new home.

“Damn you Luhan, I’ve been gone only for three years. Why does the children population in this place grow thrice as much suddenly?” She threw her hands up before crouching down at the crying trio.

“Uncle Luhaaaan! He called Uncle Zitao a pabo.” The short boy wailed again and went running towards the said man with the two others following him sniffling and rubbing their cheeks. Minree swear the blonde called Suho doesn’t even have tears in his eyes.

She immediately follows the kids just to make sure her record is clean. It’s those kids that are disrespectful, although she has to admit butting in at others’ conversation can be considered the same.

“Seriously, I didn’t do anything. They just started crying all of a sudden.”

“I know. I’m here for a while already. Welcome back Min, where is my hug?” Luhan opened his arms wide and the three kids immediately went grabbing his neatly ironed shirt, clawing at him, wanting to be carried. If only those midgets weren’t devil in disguise, she would have swoon at the sight of Luhan cooing.

“Seriously where the hell is Yin and why is her daughter together with these cute spawn of satan?”

The short boy sniffed then turned at her. “You’re a bad ajusshi.” And did a ‘mehrong’ face.

Her eyebrow twitched before raising her two hands and wiggled her fingers like a madman. “Say ajusshi one more time, I’ll open your pretty little smooth tummy and sell your organs to the minions.”

Their cries of horror were drowned by Luhan’s lively laugh.

“You haven’t changed one bit, Minri. This makes me missed you much more.”

She tried not to blush as she plucks out one blond boy crying in horror and settle him gently in her arms, “Don’t get cheesy on me Lu” before turning into the still wailing boy in her arms, “Now tell me who is your momma, hmm.”

And the poor boy cry some more.

 

 

“What?! Suho is Sehun and Junmi’s son? What the fuc-

A hand clamped on before she could finish her sentence.

“Hon, lessen the cursing please. There are children in here.” Luhan chided her gently.

“Oh don’t mind us.”

“I’m not talking about you Baekhye.” Luhan snorted while the latter pouts.

She was away for three years because she had to catch up for the lost time after her father’s surgery – staying in Korea for one and half a year – although she doesn’t really mind it. Her misunderstanding with her family was solved as a result.

During those years, Yin frequents in Korea just because. Minri thinks it just Yin’s over protectiveness instinct kicking in. After giving birth to a beautiful lady – who is currently surrounded by two demonic/ brat boys – whom the couple named Lay, yes the one from the crying trio yesterday, she decided to permanently reside here in Korea.

“My daughter told me last night a very interesting story. I didn’t know making children cry was your specialty Minri.” Yin .

“Oh god. That was a misunderstanding alright.”

“You should try having a baby so you should experience how it really is to have a child.” Jonghee raised her eyebrows suggestively at both her and Luhan.

“You, you and you.” She flicked Jonghee, Baekhye and Yin’s forehead for emphasis. “Just because Junmi isn’t here to scold, it doesn’t mean you can bully me.”

“Momma Junmi won’t side at you this time. You made her son cry. Seriously, why don’t you and Luhan try having babies so you should know how is it when your son cries.” Baekhye teased once again.

“Who said we aren’t trying?” Luhan said the same time she said, “Your son D.O is a certified crybaby, Baekhye, what can I do?”

But her poor excuse for friends decided they can only hear what Luhan said and squeal like madwomen rivalling a pig that was about to be slaughtered.

“What did we miss?” Chanyeol’s booming voice echoed through Jonghee’s whole bakeshop followed by D.O voice, “Appa!” and the kid’s arrival which caused more chaos when said new arrival pushed his way through Suho and D.O and hugged a sleepy looking Lay. And said Suho and D.O refused to gave up Lay to the newcomer immediately turning into mini tug of war.

“Aw. My son’s really the princely type.” Jonghee coos and Minri bugged her eyes out.

“That was you son?!”

Jonghee just nodded before muttering, “Yep. That’s my Chen. Get that girl, baby!”

Soon after a cry was heard and Minri was so sure it came from Suho.

She doesn’t even know if she wanted to have kids right now.

 

 

“Momma Jonghee, D.O, want to have a tart.” D.O paddled to the counter, even though his chubby arms were the only part of his body that can be seen.

Minri glanced at Jonghee who was wiping coffee cups at the side. “Is it alright to give him a tart?”

Since she was probably staying here in Korea for good (hopefully), Minri decided to help Jonghee at her bakeshop until she can get back her muse for painting.

“Oh. Wait let me handle it.” Jonghee put down the cups and approached the kid. “Okay, what does my baby D.O want?”

“Tart. I’ll give it to Lay.” Minri could see the tell tale sign of a blush on the kid’s chubby cheeks. This makes her smile.

“Sure. Why not? Momma Jonghee is your fairy godmother for today. Now before I fetch your beloved tart, who does baby D.O like, his umma or appa?”

Probably annoyed already at Jonghee’s babbling, D.O simply muttered, “Appa”.

Minri swear she could see Jonghee’s evil smile starting to show up as the younger scribbled Chanyeol’s name to the mini notebook she’s carrying before writing 10, 000 won beside it.

“Uh..” Minri started as she flicks her eyes on the menu chart and back to Jonghee’s mini notebook. Fruit tart only cost 6,300 won, though but Jonghee only continues cooing at D.O.

The other children in the shop probably see what D.O is doing and decided that they should impress Lay as well, gather in front of Jonghee shouting names of foods Minri swear is not even in the menu list. And Jonghee’s evil smiles widen some more

“Ok what did my baby Suho wants?”

“Suho wants choco camel hazelnut cake.”

Why is camel even an ingredient in a cake? Minri’s brows furrowed even more.

“It’s caramel baby.” Jonghee coos and her evil of a son, Chen, laughed at Suho’s mistakes. Suho pouts and turns to Lay who is already busy chewing D.O’s fruit tart.

“Now, now baby, don’t pout. Now tell momma Jonghee who Suho loves more?”

With trembling lips, Suho mouthed umma and Jonghee cackles in glee. “Nice choice baby, now get this cake to Lay before D.O wins.”

As expected, Jonghee had written Junmi’s name before placing a price thrice than that of the cake. Minri can only shake his head as she watched Jonghee shoo her son Chen with two bottles of water in both of his chubby hands.

“I won’t be surprised that if Korea goes into recession, this shop would still be in abundance. With just those kids, you can earn twice than that of a regular bakeshop.”

“I’m a businesswoman Min. I only do what a businesswoman is supposed to do.”

“Yes and that is leeching off your friends’ money.” Her eyes suddenly widened in realization. “Yah! How much did you debit my account with that tiramisu cake I ate earlier?”

Jonghee gave her a wounded look. “You hurt me with your words.” Minri threw her the spoon she used earlier.

“Don’t worry I don’t charge lonely housewives that much price. And since you’re one of them, be happy.”

“Wow, thank you for your consideration.” She replied sarcastically.

“But seriously Min. Don’t tell me that you don’t really love Luhan and you’re not willing to gave him a child?”

Minri averts his eyes. Does she really have to answer that? Despite the years that passed, showing emotions has still been her weakness. Suddenly she felt a shove.

“Bad friend. Bad friend. I thought I raised you better than that!” Jonghee pointed an accusatory finger to her. “How can I trust poor innocent Luhan with an emotionless person like you?! Oh, poor Luhan. I bet he’s still a .” Now Jonghee is wiping imaginary tears with her apron, Minri wanted to bury her friend alive. Or maybe herself. Yeah that would be better.

“Of course I love him. I won’t be marrying him if I don’t.” she felt her cheeks heat up.

“So what is the problem?”

Minri look up and stared at her friend before frowning.

“Do I really have to say it? You know how my childhood went. I don’t.. I..”

“Your child won’t be experiencing what you had experienced. I know you Minri. You will be a good mother.” Jonghee said sternly, scolding.

“That’s good then, no? That someone still believes in me. Because I don’t even trust myself.”

She ran a hand on her face. “Luhan is probably regretting marrying me. I’m still broken Jonghee. I know I’m still. Despite all these years, I still can’t find the old me.”

She slumped further into the counter. “Saying ‘I love you’, hugging him, even kissing him, it felt difficult to do that. I’ve been alone for so long and this.. this is all new to me. To go back home with someone waiting for you, to have someone checking up on you, I.. I.. it’s difficult. I love Luhan but I don’t know how to keep him loving me.”

A warm feeling envelops her and she was gently pushed to Jonghee’s chest. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have forced you to tell these things when I knew that a part of you is still hurting.”

She laughed and gently pries herself off Jonghee after a few minutes of silence.

“Don’t say sorry. You’re giving me the creeps. The Jonghee I knew doesn’t say sorry.”

The younger gently punched her. “Hey. What is that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing. I guess being married to Zitao does bring you some goodness of the heart.”

She scrambles off the counter to escape the second onslaught of Jonghee’s fist Minri is sure won’t be gentle this time. She proceeds to the table where the kids are, talking animatedly to each other and boasting their father’s and Uncle’s wealth again to a sleepy Lay.

“I’m going midgets.” She ruffled each of their hair and she was met by indignant protests with the exception of Lay who just simply smiled her dimpled smile and wave at her Minri had to wonder if this is really the offspring of Yin ad Yifan.

 

 

Minri arrived at their house longer than it is supposed to be. She sidetracked for a few times going for the long route just to avoid going home but she knew that is stupid. She can never avoid Luhan. Not that she wants to avoid him. It’s just that her conversation with Jonghee had triggered something in her.

There was bowl of rice and spicy galbi covered in plates at the table but Luhan is nowhere in sight. She glanced at the wall clock and frowned. It was already eight in the evening. She left Jonghee’s bakeshop at six. Luhan’s probably sleeping. His father’s company recently expanded a new branch and the relocation of some of the employees was given to Luhan to supervise. And while her husband is the current CEO of the Lu Industries, Sehun is still training to succeed his father’s business; Luhan has still to supervise Sehun.

Her guess is proven correct when she saw a lump on their bedroom. Retreating to the kitchen to eat her late dinner, changing into sleepwear, the conversation she had with Minri still lingers in her head. To tell Jonghee honestly, the three years she was away after their wedding is just an escape route she made. Marrying Luhan is the best thing that happened in her but to suddenly face a new chapter in her life without closing yet her past, Minri was afraid she was going to screw her marriage with Luhan.

Yin told her that what she was doing will not only hurt her but Luhan as well so she decided to go back to Korea. But until now, she is still avoiding him. She knew she had to talk about this to Luhan but she doesn’t know how to start, how to open it up without hurting her husband.

Opening, the door to their bedroom, Minri in a deep breath. She had to do this. At least for Luhan. Standing beside their bed, Minri had the chance to gaze at her husband’s face. He was as handsome as the first time she met him. Blonde tresses that was slightly illuminated by the beside lamp to the pale forehead running down to the smooth contour of his nose and finally to the pinkish lips that was slightly parted as he takes in breath after breath.

Minri blinked back the tears that were threatening to fall. How can she hurt him? Luhan who did nothing but love her unconditionally, supported her immensely and swore to protect her forever.

Her sobs were probably getting louder because Luhan stir in his sleep. Minri immediately wipe away the tears. But this was Luhan. He always knew that something is wrong with her by just one look.

“Hey, what’s wrong? Are you crying? Wait did you already eat your dinner? I cooked your favourite food. I hope it’s not that spi-

She cut him by hugging him tightly.

“-cy.. hey, are you alright?” Luhan immediately wrapped her arms around her back and lift her so that they are both lying on the bed.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry.” She said repeatedly while burying her face deeper into his chest.

Luhan cupped her cheeks and lifts her face. He immediately frowns upon seeing her tear stained cheeks which he wiped using both of his thumbs.

“Why are you saying sorry?” he gently placed stray hair behind her ear while Minri looked down.

How to open the subject? She doesn’t even have a plan in the first place. After seeing his husband face sleeping alone in their bed, something just tugged at Minri’s heart and she just started crying.

“Lu Minri.”

“Han. Do you have any idea why I went back to China one month after our wedding?”

“Yes. To catch up with the demands of your client that was poorly handled when you stayed here.”

“No. Not that reason. The real reason.”

“Isn’t it the reason?”

Minri sighed. “It was part of the reason. But I actually did it to avoid you.”

A moment of silence follows before Luhan spoke in a more gentle voice. “Why? Did I do something wrong?” Minri saw a hint of hurt flash across his face and Minri’s eyes starts to water again.

“I’m sorry Han. I was afraid. With the excuse that I have to catch up with the client’s demand, I went to China again to give myself a second chance to redeem the old Minri. But I failed.” She shut her eyes to stop the tears from falling.

“The old Minri was too broken, too damaged to be repaired and I don’t know what to do. I only wanted to be perfect for you. Han, you don’t deserve an emotionless wife after all the things you had to put up with me. You reserved more than what I am right now.”

“When you say I love you, I had a hard time saying ‘I love you too’. I had a hard time initiating a kiss because I’m afraid of rejection. All my life I was rejected, I can’t afford to have it again. Not with you Han who had became one of the most important people to me.”

Luhan was looking at her with soft eyes.

“Don’t think that I don’t love you, because I do. Han, I do. I just don’t know if the current Minri can keep you by my side. I’m still the broken girl that everyone used to know.”

“Shh. Don’t say that.” He ran his fingers on her hair.

“But that’s the truth. I.. I” she choked on her sobs. “I can’t even give you a child because I’m a coward. I’m afraid that I will be like my mom, whose not there for her children or be like dad who.. who..”

“Shh..Shh.. Listen to me, Minri.” Luhan cupped her face once again. “You won’t be like your mother, I won’t allow that to happen. And second, you won’t be like your mother, I know.. I know you won’t let that happen.”

He kissed the tip of her nose. “Do you know what my dream was?”

Minri shook her head.

“To marry you. That’s it. That was just my simple dream. When you said yes to me, I stopped wishing for anything else. I more than contented knowing that we are going to spend the rest of our lives together.” Luhan smiled at her. “So don’t belittle yourself. I love the old Minri, the one that used to glare at me all the time.” Minri had to smile at that.  “And I love the new you. Don’t think otherwise.”

Minri looked down when Luhan’s stare became too intense and she snorted. “Liar.

“What? I’m not.”

“Don’t lie to me, pabo. Zitao said you’ve been whining to him that you still don’t have a spawn from hell that you could spoil.”

Luhan blinked once, twice before laughing. “Oh god. Why are you so cute?” Luhan squeezed her cheeks before beaming at her. Probably too happy at the prospect that she’s the one opening the topic about children. But she was surprised to hear his next words.

“With or without children, I will still love you the same, you pabo. You’re not yet ready and I’m willing to wait. If you want to get back the old Minri, then let’s work on that first, hmm. There is no need to rush.”

Luhan stared at her gently, eyes full of love and adoration. Minri wrapped her arms around him once again.

“Thank you.”

Luhan pecked at her lips. “Everything for you, Lu Minri” he whispered against her lips before cupping her cheeks and kissing her once again.

“By the way, you don’t have to be jealous of Jongin. He and Kyunghee are probably doing things that only married couples should do.”

But Luhan’s answer is just another pair of lips crashing on her own. Not that Minri minds. This time, actually, Minri is sure nothing will go wrong.


A/N: And done! ^^ Thank you for all your comments, for those who subscribed and upvoted. I love you all! I will be marking this complete but I would still be posting random chapters that will probably include Lay’s adventure with the hoes. Or Jonghee’s evil business adventures or probably Luhan and Minri’s would-be child. Or Kaisoo adventures or whatever comes to my mind. Hahaha..

For further information about the children:

Yin and Yifan – Lay (girl/it actually sound like the name of my best friend. Hi Leigh!)

Baekhye and Chanyeol – D.O (boy/real name: Kyungsoo)

Jonghee and Zitao – the one and only ‘Chen’ (boy)

Junmi and Sehun – the cry baby ‘Suho’ (boy)

Xiuhan – work in progress

Kaisoo – work in progress