1/2

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful)

I’ll probably just dump these two chapters in one go. Hahaha.

Warnings: it’s a long fic, I hope you had enough patience to read. And Minseok Minri with many issues in life. ^^


Androgynously beautiful. That was what people called her the moment Minri hit puberty. Living with her two brothers, her lifestyle was heavily influenced by them that girls confessing to her isn't a bother anymore. But that was before. Right now, when she's currently squeezed amongst people with unfamiliar faces, a girl probably a decade younger than her keep stealing glances towards her direction (discreetness probably not in her vocabulary) Minri thinks she should blame it all to her boy cut hair and boyish choice of clothes. The train lurched forward and said teenage girl immediately held her steady and to her horror flashed her a flirty wink, Minri didn't need to think twice as she got off the next station not minding that she was still three stations away from her destination.

". What was that? That kid seriously needs her eyes checked." She suddenly feels her chest. "I have a ing , can't she see that?"

Someone cleared a throat behind her and she immediately removes her hands on her chest.

Returning to Korea was becoming the worst decision Minri had ever made.

Stupid reunion.

Stupid friends.

Kyunghee already had her ing up on the next level when she forced her to attend and Minri just wanted to have a peace of her mind.

"You're our batch's Vice President Minri, how could you leave us like this! It's been what - 3 reunions that you already missed."

Like hello, isn't it obvious? If their batch was a marriage, she would be refered to 'the one that got away'. Literally. Kyunghee was the only one that she maintained in contact with, not really her choice. They accidentally bump into each other one day years ago and the younger made it to a point to get her phone number.

She tried reasoning that Korea is really not part of her itinerary for the year and she would be in delay if she would detour. In reality, she's just making up excuses but the delay thing is not all made up. Being a photographer - an anonymous yet famous photographer hiding in her pseudonym, Kira - Minri had to travel everywhere.

Macro photography is her specialty but after graduating or you could say after running away from the reality of her life, her interest shifted to landscape painting and nature photography, taking pictures of unique things, unexplored, former unknown. She often travels from places to places. She could be in Brunei the other day and then Thailand the next day. She could spend her whole week in Rio de Janeiro as much as it would only take her hours to explore the place. She held photo exhibits everywhere as well. In a random street full of people to an extensive photo museum. In a rural area in Guam to the finest shopping district in Paris. This has been her life.

Kyunghee said once on their skype session that she's very free spirited, that no one could tie her down to a specific place. She laughed it off but she kind of agreed. Nothing and no one could tie her down.

She only relented to Kyunghee's threats to go to this freaking reunion when the younger suspected that she had probably something or someone she was so keen on avoiding.

"Who would I avoid?" she snorted.

Yeah who would she avoid? And yeah, who is she fooling?

"The gang didn't really mind it you know. Even if you left without a word."

There was no hint of sarcasm in the younger's voice at that time and maybe that is the reason why Minri finally agreed to go. She just hoped that the 'gang' wasn't complete and one named Luhan is absent.

 

September  1994

 

"Minri, Sehun. This is Luhan and for the coming days he would be living with us. Please be nice to him."

Her expression was only blank. As blank as his brother while looking into the eyes of the boy who was also gauging them. After moments of staring contest, she bowed at him and went up the stairs and locked in her room. Later she learned that the boy is Chinese, already orphaned at the early age of five, his parents who happened to be his father's best friend died in a plane crash and he likes soccer the way she did. And like Sehun, his half brother, is another competition for her father's attention.

 

August  2003

 

Middle school.

Minri had so many plans for this phase of her life. She would join the girls' soccer club or maybe the band club then goes on an all girls night out. Junmi has already planned it even before the school started.

But of course her stupid family, her equally stupid status doesn't allow her to do all those things.

Sehun is stoned face.

Luhan is dumb.

And the three of them never get along well with each other.

Correction. She and her two brothers don’t get along well. She's always been civil to Sehun before. After her mother died and her father remarried, she knew that her position in the family would be threatened. Sehun is just two years younger, not really an but the moment he was born, he immediately become everyone's favorite. Of course, he's a boy. He would continue the bloodline even if he married. He is more suited for the corporate world. While her, a girl is only good for obeying someone. Her family is too old school.

He and Sehun had both taken an interest in soccer but she's the only one not allowed to play. Why? Because a girl must be prim and proper. She's not suitable holding guitars and shouting rocks songs. Why? Because piano and ballet lessons fit her more.

Stupid to the tenth layer of hell.

"Why can't I be a boy?"

"Why do you want to be a boy?"

She jumped at least a feet in the air upon hearing the voice. She turned around ready to glare at that person when she realized it was dumb Luhan.

Oh did she forget to tell that she always addressed Sehun as the noodle boy and Luhan, who is only a year older than her, dumb Luhan.

Now this is new. If she was civil with Sehun, she had a cold war with Luhan and she knew the older also feel it. She bite back her hot retort, her mind already thinking of what proper words to say. Luhan in all honesty, she thinks is a spy ready to pounce at her the moment she reveal her true self. And her father would not be pleased. And Luhan would be favored and her life would forever be doomed.

Heck if she would let that happen.

"I-I'm going upstairs." She hastily gathered her things that she just hapzardly thrown away in the living room when she arrived earlier from school. She would surely expose all secrets that dumb Luhan has and she would be laughing at his equally dumb face. But right now isn't the time as she stands up from the couch and nearly dash the stairs towards her room. She was stopped when a warm feeling enveloped her small wrist and soft doe eyes gazing at her when she turned around. She stopped her urge to twitch her nose.

Don't blow up your cover or I swear Kim Minri.

"W-why?" she said instead secretly glaring at their joined hands.

Luhan with his big glasses perched on his nose, loose off-white sweater slightly hanging off his one shoulder revealing a bit of milky white collarbone. Minri wanted to curse the high heavens. She manage to survive years escaping and playing hide and seek with noodle Sehun and dumb Luhan, so why is it hard to just break his hold and turn her back away from him with her head held high. She's still the legitimate heir of this house.

"Do you want to play soccer with me?"

She blinked her eyes and stared blankly at him. So is he really this dumb? Why would she do the thing that her father hates her doing when she is actually getting on his good side for the past 13 years of her life?

"Are you a fool?" It's already too late to get back what she said as dumb Luhan stared at her with a surprised expression. It's probably because she had spoken those words with all the hatred she has. She broke the light grip he has on her wrist as she stomp away. Brother her ! It is clear as daylight that dumb Luhan just wanted her to get into trouble.

She really hates her family.

She was already on the fifth step on the stairs when his poor excuse for a brother spoke once again.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it that way. It's just that Sehun had mentioned to me that you really like soccer and the two of you used to play. And I saw you earlier, how you stare at the soccer ball, you missed playing it."

Minri counted from one to ten before turning around once again, expression already composed.

"Did it never occur to you that I don't like you? As a friend, as a brother, as a person? Well now, I'm saying it to you. I don't like you at all. You and noodle Sehun could be best of friends for all I care but leave me out of it."

She did not bother seeing his reaction afraid that she might regret what she had said. No one can blame her, one day she was just the only child, everyone's apple of the eye, the next day she already has two competitions with obvious advantage. She was immediately written off as the meek princess, the damsel in distress. it. If releasing her pent up frustration and anger means war with the noodle boy and dumb deer so be it.

 

October 2007

 

"Min.. my eyes is getting blurry. . I can actually taste my blood." Jonghee slumped forward on the concrete wall and Minri immediately dropped her bloodied baseball bat.

". . ." She immediately covered their distance despite the obvious limp in her right leg.

The two of them just escape a big brawl that their fraternity happened to be involved with. Jonghee must have taken the hit on the side of her head badly.

"Yah! Jonghee don't sleep on me. Don't ing sleep on me or I swear to god.."

"Shut the up.." Jonghee coughed but smirked at her nonetheless. "Just don't bring me to any hospital, mom would surely kill me."

She raised both of their body from the ground and trudge the dark alley of whatever street they are in, both laughing.

"My dad would skin me alive and noodle Sehun would probably have a change of expression on his stoned face."

"Who's this Sehun again?"

"My half brother I'm telling you about.."

Suddenly her phone rings disturbing the silence of the night. It's probably midnight judging by the lack of people roaming around. Oh great, curfew bans and patrol cars.

"Answer the phone, it's ing noisy." Jonghee muttered beside her and she noticed the obvious slumping of her body as well as the blood - Jonghee's blood - staining her uniform's sleeve.

"Hey, you okay?"

"Hmm."

She readjust her hold on her and fish out her still ringing phone. 11:47 P.M. . She already knew who was calling her.  She hastily answers the call but before she could even say hello, he beat her to it.

"Where are you? It's fuc- It's already midnight, Minri."

She smirked at the obvious slip of the curse. So he can actually say the f word.

"Not your problem." She replied monotonously while eying Jonghee carefully.

"Minri, I'm warning you." There is this sudden edge in his voice and Minri snorted. "Uncle already arrived and-

"Can you stop pretending that you actually care, Luhan.” She pinched the bridge of her nose.  “Look, just tell dad I'm out or I have a project I need to do at my classmate's house. He believes you more than me so it won't be a problem-

Her eyes widened when she felt Jonghee suddenly just fall on the ground with a loud ‘thud’. Glancing down, her heartbeat doubled over at the pool of blood starting to accumulate. She doesn't even realize that her sleeve, the right side of her uniform is already soaked with Jonghee's blood.

"! Jonghee!"

"What? Why? Kim Minri, what happened there?!"

Tossing her phone away, she immediately dropped down the ground.

"Oh god." Jonghee's blood came from a cut near her temple. Why didn't she notice it earlier? "Oh god." Her fingers started trembling. She doesn't know where they are right now and she just can't go home. Her father would surely kill her. Hospital is the only way even if Jonghee didn't want that but how to get there. Can she carry Jonghee all the way there?

She positioned Jonghee's body at her back and when she's about to stand up, she noticed the steady light coming from her phone few inches away from her.

Luhan was still on the line.

An idea was already forming on her mind but it will mean that Luhan will learn about the brawl, about her being a frat member, about the tattoo she has and she doesn't want it. But Jonghee's life is on the line and ! Think Minri! Shutting her eyes and after counting to ten, she gently lay down Jonghee's body on the ground again and picked up her phone.

"-going to call the police if you won't answer right now. Kim Minri!"

"Shut up. Just come here. We're around Hongdae. I.. I don't.. just.."

There was a big sigh, relief maybe, at the end of the line and then, "Alright, just calm down okay. Whatever it was, stop hyperventilating. I'm coming. I promise I'm coming."

Luhan's voice was firm and it was all Minri needed at the moment. She doesn't realize she actually hyperventilated until she calmed down for a bit. Carrying Jonghee up her back and out of the secluded street the two of them ran into earlier, the only thoughts on Minri's head was Jonghee's safety, all her secrets be damned. Nothing will actually change. Her father would just hate her more. Not that she isn’t used to it.

It took her two blocks of walking before a white Honda Civic stopped at her side. If this was another day, she would have probably report dumb Luhan for driving underage and would laugh at her father's disappointed face but Jonghee's faltering breathing made her think twice.

"What the heck happened to you?!" Luhan immediately removed Jonghee from her back upon getting off from the car and finally noticed the amount of blood her uniform had absorbed.

Luhan's expression turned from shock to worry to frustration and finally anger.

"We're going to talk after this whether you like it or not."

His voice is cold with an edge leaving no room for argument. And honestly this is the first time she heard Luhan talk to her like that. Despite her silent treatment to him, the older always tried to please her, to be friendly with her, smiled at her when their eyes met and it made her feel a little bit better about her situation. Glad that Luhan wanted her approval of him being part of the family, that he wanted her to notice him. Glad that he’s uncomfortable around her. But this is the first time he spoke to her with a hint of anger in his voice so Minri doesn't know what to do. She usually is the one who left him speechless with her snappy remarks and not the other way around. She followed her to the car and sat at the passenger seat leaving Jonghee laying down unconscious at the back seat.

"Are you limping? Why the hell are you limping?"

His voice raise an octave at the last words and she noticed how hard he tries to suppress his anger and shouting to her by gripping the steering wheel tightly. Minri felt like a child being scolded for spilling water at the dining table. And she doesn’t like it.

“Just ing drive, Luhan.”

Her reply probably angered him more as he hit the gas pedal. No words were exchanged for the whole trip to the hospital and Minri is glad because if Luhan provoked her more, she would probably cry. Jonghee’s life is in danger and partly it’s her fault. The worst part is dumb Luhan of all people is the one who’s witnessing her vulnerability.

 

 

“What really happened?”

Both of them were gazing from the outside of a glass window as Jonghee was still unconscious on the hospital bed. She had a minor head injury nothing dangerous, just lost a bit of blood. Her leg was already bandaged but she hasn’t changed clothes yet so the sight of Jonghee’s blood serves as a reminder of her foolishness.

“Isn’t it obvious?” she snorted.

“Kim Minri, answer the question properly or I-

“Or what?” she faced him, seething. “Or you’ll tell dad? Find another way for him to hate me and for him to favor you? Is that it? Well fine, we got into a brawl, I’m a member of a frat and I don’t ing regret every single thing I did! Happy?”

Except she regretted bringing Jonghee with her.

Luhan had a surprised expression before it turn into dark one. “When did I do all of those, Minri? Tell me. I never chase for your father’s attention. You’re so blinded by your hatred towards me that you fail to notice everyone cares for you.”

She clenched her fist. She wanted to laugh. “When? You dare ask when? Remember when we both made it into that freaking Physics Quiz Bee I didn’t even want, you placed second and I should be happy because what, I’m the first place but who did they celebrate, your winning because, ‘Oh, our Luhan finally moved on from being depressed after his parents died, let’s celebrate’.”

Every word was punctuated by a jab to his chest. “When the three of us made into the soccer team, they ing throw a party to the two of you and what about me? I was scolded. Luhan I was scolded! Forced to quit because why I am wasting my time chasing balls when I should be studying. When it comes to achievements, they never stopped praising the two of you because you bring dignity to our family name. What about me? It’s a ‘must-do’ for me so as not to hinder the two of you. So if you can’t understand why I am like this then damn you! Damn you all the way and back from hell, Luhan.”

She doesn’t realize that she was already crying until she saw her reflection on the mirror. Luhan ran his hand on his hair clearly frustrated.

“I know that even if I leave the house, you would still hate your father, hate Sehun, hate me. And even though you wanted me to leave, I can’t because I’m happy here, I’m happy with Uncle and Auntie, with Sehun, and with you around me.” He raised his hand to probably touch her shoulder but retracts it and just balled his fist on the hem of his shirt. “But please, don’t do this to yourself. Don’t sacrifice your safety just because you wanted to prove a point. Hate me all you want but please, Minri, please take care of yourself.”

She was left speechless at the intensity of his stare borderline pleading. But she also can’t look away. It was as if Luhan is channeling all his feelings to her just by his stare. They only broke when the doctor came. But after that, deep inside Minri, she knew there was a tug of guilt at her heart, different from what she felt towards Jonghee’s situation.

 

 

“I’m lost.”

There was a long silence at the end of the line, then a loud crash and a breathless voice. “What did you say?”

“I said I’m-

“Yeah. I heard you the first time but are you actually lost? Where are you right now? Oh god, I knew this travelling of you alone isn’t going to end well.”

“Mom, shut up please.” Minri rolled her eyes at the indignant protest that followed at the end of the line. Yin was her agent, the one that sells her paintings and photographs and her pseudo-guardian even if the girl is younger than her.

“Wait. Don’t drop the line. I’m calling Yifan right now. Don’t talk to strangers or even smile at them. I tell you Minri- oh! Yifan?”

She just snorted when the other ended the call. “Don’t drop the line, my feet.” She just decided to rest inside one of the coffee shop in front of her. She knew by heart that her conversation with Yin is not yet over. Especially if her mother instinct is awakened.

 

March 2009

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t notice you there.”

Minri had to crane her neck up to see who bumped into her as this one is a freaking titan. The guy is wearing a black sleeveless shirt matched with brown cargo pants and boots, dark sunglasses adorned his face. He was actually good looking for someone who was dressed so simple. There was a camera draped on his neck.

“Why are you loitering in front of our building?” she can’t help but ask. The guy without any other words removed his sunglasses, bugged his eyes out to her and then dragged her to the nearest bubble tea shop.

It turned out his name is Wu Yi Fan, a Chinese exchange student at the neighboring high school and an aspiring architect. Or was it urban engineer. Or whatever. He was actually thrilled to know that the building he happened to adore so much was her father’s company building.

That wasn’t their last meeting though as Yifan who is the same age as dumb Luhan, keep insisting they met so he can ask her more about the building. In her annoyance, she just brought him a copy of their blueprint and even though she knew it was illegal, she doesn’t really care. In return she was allowed to ask about him. She snorted at it. As if he was that special.

And it turned out that he was indeed special. He was already living independently despite both of them only in their last year of high school. He was travelling from places to places to spot building with nice designs and good structure. Minri was enthralled at the amount of places Yi Fan had already visited at the young age.

Their second to the last meeting, a week before her high school graduation, a day before she would take her CAT, she asked him a big favor.

“What?!” he nearly spit out the cola he was drinking.

“Why the heck are you surprised?” she rolled her eyes.

“Because no! I’m not running away with you. Just in case you didn’t realize, I don’t like you and I have someone I already promised my life with. Zhang Yin, remember that name and I don’t plan- ouch! What?”

“Who said I like you too and I’m planning on running away with you, you head. I just wanted you to take me with you back to China. I would like to study college there and find my own dreams. And maybe one day, explore the world like what you are doing right now.”

Yifan still has this bewildered expression on his face the whole time.

The last time they met, five hours after her graduation ceremony, the day after Yonsei University mailed the result of her admission test, Minri had actually gone with him and the thus the official start of her own journey.

 

 

“Your flat looks like a storm, earthquake and tsunami decided to celebrate their fiftieth anniversary.” She commented dryly upon placing her sneakers on Yifan’s shoe rock.

Yifan scoffed. “You’re lucky I’m back here in Korea or else you would be wandering the street penniless.” He replied while stacking all the blueprints scattered messily on his working table.

She flicked her short bangs. “Did you forget that this is my home country and I’m never going to be penniless here.” She shoved whatever files that was on the couch to the side and laid her tired back on the small space.

“So why did you call Yin if that was actually the case? Hometown my .”

“Yeah. Yeah whatever. And I’m actually here only for tonight.”

Yifan appeared in front of her holding two glasses orange juice which she instantly devoured down.

“Thanks, dude.”

“Sure. But why are you actually here when the last time I remember, you were so adamant leaving this place?” he sit on the small adjacent couch removing and then putting a life size alpaca on his lap that previously occupied the seat. She recognized it as Yin’s wallpaper on her phone.

“Reunion tonight. Ugh, why did I agree to this again?”

“I don’t know about you, but I’m actually glad you decided to face this” he made some hand gestures, “whatever you are so keen on avoiding.”

She raised a brow at him. “Face what?”

Yifan snorted. “As if you didn’t know what I meant. Your family, of course. Staying here in Korea for almost a year, I’ve learned few interesting facts about your family.” He eyed her disbelievingly. “So you’re actually rich. I’m regretting the fact that I accepted you as free loader during your entire stay in China.”

She laughed. It was actually Yin’s idea of her not paying any sort of bills. If she was rich then Yifan came from old money. The main reason why he’s able to travel places he wanted to is that he was supported by her father. Yifan is a certified daddy’s boy. She actually envied him a lot. He has his whole family supporting his choice of career and a very supportive girlfriend turned fiancée at his side.

It’s not like her relationship with her family had worsen though, in fact after that accident where she sustained an ankle injury, it kind of got better.  Or maybe she just started seeing things in a different light. But it’s not enough to make her stay. She doesn’t dream of having a caged life with the sole purpose of pleasing her father. She had out grown that foolishness of her.

 

November 2007

 

Minri woke up with a start. Yesterday, her father had gone to a weeklong business trip to Busan and finally after ten thousand light years, she could be herself for once without someone monitoring her every move.

"Freedom! YAS!" She jumped out of bed and rushed to her bathroom. Within twenty minutes she was already dressed in her favorite soccer jersey complete with soccer cleats her father thought she already disposed. Huh, as if she would.

She almost tripped on her feet while going down the stairs and she only giggled to herself. Nothing could spoil her mood right now. Not even noodle Sehun who was probably staring at her while having his late breakfast as she snatched some cold toasted bread on the dining table to her way out. Because of that she missed a tiny smile that grazed the younger's lips.

Her father had built an indoor soccer field for dumb Luhan when the latter achieve his captaincy and made it to the interschool tournament championship. She scoffed at the memory. She could do that as well to the girl's team if only her father allowed her. But it's not like she actually stopped playing. Now that she's not allowed to play soccer officially, she did it underground. Her frat has connections and she and Jonghee always played. Plus it involves money so why the hell not. She could probably do moves that even dumb Luhan can't. After all underground soccer is more of brutality than the soccer itself.

Opening the door towards the indoor field, the first sound that registered her ears is the bouncing of ball across the wall. Someone is already there and that someone is surely Luhan.

"You're here to play soccer?" He asked while eying her ankle that just recently healed.

"No. I'm here to cheer for you." she scoffed.

 She moved to the opposite end and began unpacking her things. She was honestly thankful that Luhan hasn't sold her out to his father about the brawl that happened last month. She was guilty for what happened to Jonghee but the younger girl only dismissed her apologies with a pat to her and even thanked Luhan for 'saving' her life.

But she would never thank that dumb brother of her. No way!

"Are you sure you can play? I still see you limping last week."

She raised her head and saw him staring at her, worry in his eyes. It irks her. She’s not a freaking weakling. "I'm fine. If you're finish playing then you can go. I'll take over the court." She said instead.

But Luhan doesn't even move an inch.

"What?" She bugged her eyes to him.

Because she honestly doesn't want to thank him if that is what he’s waiting to hear from her.

"Do you actually think you're out of the hook Minri? Just because I didn't tell Uncle about what happened with you and Jonghee."

Of course, Minri. Of course. What did you expect Luhan will do? It felt like after that incident, Luhan became his father’s clone and it annoyed her. At school, it’s like she’s seeing Luhan everywhere. If this is his way to impress her father by ‘taking’ care of their ‘princess’ or just a way to pissed her, she doesn’t know anymore.

“What do you actually want?” she scoffed.

He smiled at her and kicks the ball towards her direction. “Simple. Play soccer with me and if you won, okay I’ll let you off the hook. But if I won, you’ll quit the frat. Seriously Minri, it won’t bring you any good.”

“Oh shut up. You don’t dictate me of what I need to do.” She accepts the ball and then kicks it back to him. “We’ll play it my way. If I win, you’ll quit the soccer team and get off my back.  If I can’t play soccer then you also can’t.”

Luhan just smiled as if he’s confident he’s going to win. And he did win. Minri knew he would moment he scored his first goal. There is a reason why he is the school’s soccer team’s captain and why the school has already three consecutive wins under its name. But this game won’t end without her fighting back. A knee to Luhan’s gut, a kick to his shin and few trips that surely deserve a red card.

“You” huff.. “play dirty.”

“What? I never said I won’t. If you knew about my involvement in the frat then you absolutely knew I play underground soccer.” The game end in 5-4 with Luhan winning but the obvious limp in his walk made Minri felt victorious.

“But it’s still my win, so you’re still going to quit the frat.”

She scoffed and turns her back. “I don’t remember agreeing with that.” She gathers her things and started walking away.

“Wait. Minri.”

She stopped but didn’t turn around.

“Thank you. For playing with me.” He whispered fondly and she just snorted and continued walking because no, she’s not getting soft. There is no way in hell that would happen.

Their soccer session, much to her surprise didn’t end that day. She doesn’t understand but everytime she wanted to release her pent up frustration, she would always drag Luhan to the soccer field to get his daily dose of soccer beating. At first it was just an excuse so that Luhan would let her off the hook for that brawl in Hongdae but then it just turned into a weekly routine.

A weekly routine which turned their sour relationship into something akin to friendship.

 

 

Yifan had gone building hopping again and Minri was left to an empty and messy apartment. She tried so hard not to look at Yifan’s work area aka the living room because she really wanted to run a vacuum cleaner on it. Her OCD-ish personality is kicking once again. That is why she never dared enter Yin’s room back when the two of them are still living. That girl is a devil in disguise.

“God. I’m hungry.” She opened the fridge only to be welcomed by the sight of cola and water. It seems like the more she’d stay here at this doomed apartment, her sanity would surely leave her.

Making sure the door was properly locked after texting Yifan that she left the key under the dying plant on the pot, she went to this hot pot restaurant she had seen earlier. Time to feed the pet in her stomach and gather more ‘powers’ for tonight’s reunion. She’s got a feeling that nothing would go in her way. It has always been like this for the past twenty six years of her life.

 

February 2008                                

 

“Where are you?” a pissed and slurring Jonghee greeted her on the other line.

Minri laughed. “Are you drunk already? It’s been like ten minutes since the prom started.”

“Oh shut up. What I want to know is where you are right now.”

She initially planned to entertain Jonghee and Junmi for a while before sneaking out but she got carried away with the preparations as she was their batch’s vice president. She almost forgot her plan and after realizing it, she just grabbed her converse in the locker, changed into it despite wearing a dress and dashed the school’s gate.

“Well that is why I called you. I’m going home.”

There was a pause and then a loud screeched. “What?!”

Minri laughed harder.  Well, she’s not really going home but going to her own version of prom. FTISLAND, her favorite rock indie band that she sometimes stalk while doing their street gigs is finally holding a Seoul concert. What’s more is that it’s an open concert funded by their own fans and she’s proud to say she’s one of those fans who contributed just to give them their deserve stage.

From the corner of her eyes, she saw the bus rounding up the intersection few blocks away from the bus stop. Oh ! She’s not going to make it to the stop.

“-me company. Heechul kept asking about you. They thought he was my date. God!”

She frowned in confusion but didn’t ask for the younger to elaborate more. “Whatever. I’m going, my bus is here.”

“Wait bus? Hey! Where are you-

“Bye, Jonghee, I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” She tossed her phone inside her back pack and dashed the bus station. But luck wasn’t on her side as it lurched forward without anyone getting off at the stop. And since it was also devoid of people, the driver must thought no one is getting on.

“Damn.” She glanced down at her wristwatch. The concert already started seven minutes ago but the next bus is coming in 30 minutes. Pacing around the bus stop as if doing it would hasten the time when a familiar black Honda Civic stopped in front of her.

What the hell is Luhan doing here? She frowned and all the while the older is getting out of the car his father gifted to him on his last birthday, her glare never left him.

“What the hell?” she can’t help but asked. But he ignored it.

“Where are you going?” he said instead and looked at her get up and frowned.

She scoffed. Right. Luhan is her father’s clone. Why did she forget? “Nowhere. The question is why you are here?”

He walked towards her and stood beside him. A foot apart as if anticipating for any damage she would inflict. Her expression probably gave away her annoyance. If there is one thing he learned about her after getting close through those soccer beating is to never annoy her and if she already is, don’t get within the five feet radius. She’s not a judo black belt for nothing.

“I asked Jonghee when I can’t spot you anywhere and she said something about bus, so I thought you’re here at the bus stop.” Luhan looked at her. “Do you want to go home? You could have just asked me, I’ll drive you. But seeing that you’re wearing sneakers..” he trailed off but the look on his face says that he’s curious.

She snorted and played with the lace of her dress. She doesn’t get him. Minri had to admit that she’s already out grown her stupidity of having cold war with both Sehun and Luhan now that she’s already in his last year in high school. She had learned to accept that Luhan will be forever part of her family so making conversation with the older is not as awkward as before.

But Luhan still treat her the way he treat her when they were still kids. He was always careful when it comes to her. Always trying not to anger her, always trying to please her and sometimes, sometimes it annoyed her. What she hates the most is someone trying to get past her carefully built wall after her mother died and Luhan is on the top of that list.

Did she already make it clear that she finally accepted her as her brother? What did he still want from her?

“Look.. I’ll call Sehun if I go home. I just need to be somewhere else.”

All these years Luhan had manage to tear few of those walls. When Sehun stopped asking her to play soccer with him, Luhan didn’t. When she sneaks out into the few gigs that she and Jonghee has, Luhan will be there waiting for her with the house key in his hands when she got home, even if it’s past midnight. When she has brawls and went home bloodied and bruised, Luhan will scold her but would still keep it from her father.

But all he got from her is her silent treatment and she doesn’t know if Luhan is stubborn or just plainly stupid.

“I’m already here. Let’s just let Sehun enjoy his first prom.”

Right. And speaking of prom, her eyes widened in realization. “Wait. Did you just ditched Baekhye?!”

She cross their distance and pitched his collar. “Don’t tell me you ditched my friend?”

“Wait. Wait. Let me explain.” Luhan tried to stand straight but since her grip is tight and she’s not really gifted with height, Luhan ended bending towards her.

“Explain.” She stared straight through him that he ended up looking away. Whether that pink blotches on his cheeks is due to the cold night air or just her imagination, she didn’t really care.

“She was my date alright but Chanyeol ended up dancing with her like for six songs already so I already concluded I will be dateless tonight.” He looked at her again. “Why did you even set me up with her?” there was a little hint of whine in his voice.

She released him and snorted. “Duh. She likes you. Isn’t it obvious?”

“You should have asked me first.” He was looking at her with a resigned look.

She looked away. She doesn’t really care about Luhan’s love life. He and Sehun are ‘kingkas’ of their school and she tried not to associate herself with the two of them. But it doesn’t mean she has no knowledge of who the two are dating. Sehun likes Junmi and although the girl is older than him it doesn’t stop the two of them from dating. Luhan has been single since she could remember. Baekhye likes him but the giant Chanyeol has a thing for her.

She frowned. Maybe she should just help Chanyeol win Baekhye. At least Baekhye won’t be heartbroken. And Luhan could find someone else and she should just stop thinking about this.

“You should go. My bus is coming.” She said to him just in time said bus stopped in front of them.

“W-wait.”

She hopped on and looked at Luhan while he stared at her and his car, back and forth. When the door’s about to close, Luhan made a growling sound and hopped on the bus. Minri tried to hide her smile because she already knew Luhan would do that. And honestly, it made her felt warm.

“What about your car?” she smirked at him while he joined her at the seat.

“Oh shut up. I’ll just call Sehun to fetch it.” He frowned all the while gazing through the bus’ window.

“Why do you even want to come with me?” she stopped the urge to shiver. The AC is too strong for her bare shoulders.

“Nothing.”

She stared at him suspiciously.

“What?”

“You should stop doing that.” She hasn’t removed her stare because she liked the way Luhan squirm. If she remembered correctly, this is the closest they ever had.

“Doing what?” Luhan tried to act nonchalant but she knew he knew what she is talking about.

“Being my father’s clone. You’re not his puppet Luhan.”

“Who said I’m doing this for him.”

She raised her brow.

“Forget it.” He waved his hand. “Where are we going?” It’s obvious that he wanted to change the subject.

“Oh you’ll see soon.”

 

 

“I’LL PRAYY~ I’LL PRAYY~ I’L PRAY FOR YOU!”

“YEAHHHH!”

Minri doesn’t mind as mass of bodies squeezed and bumped into her. She’s busy killing shouting to the songs the she used to blast everytime she’s alone in the house.

The moment they arrived at the venue, look of horror flashed on Luhan’s face. Aside from the fact that the two of them are overdressed for this kind of event. Throwing a glance at said companion, she wanted to laugh at the frown on Luhan’s face. She could see sweat running down his face and she doesn’t want to think how hot it felt inside those thick coat and long sleeved shirt of his.

“Here. Looks like you could use it.” He stared at her FTISLAND towel and then into her.

“Are you sure?” She nodded and smiled.

“The best I could do for dragging you into this mess.” The look of surprise on his face was so funny she can’t help but laugh.

“Thanks.”

“Oh no you don’t. Here.” She the ‘pentastick’ – the official flagstick of the band. “Make sure to wave it high.”

“What?” She laughed once again at his scandalized face.

Now this is the way to celebrate her prom.