Getting to Feel Free and Easy

You Can Thank Me Later

It was an entire weekend before Tao and Luhan saw each other again; they'd stayed in contact by texting, but Tao had mostly just snuggled between his boyfriend's while his best friend remained completely celibate—and petulantly so.

That's why he was wide awake and ready for more advice on Monday morning, whereas Tao had gotten very little sleep and was feeling very sore and grumpy. Kris had basketball practice in the mornings before first meal was available at 7, so he'd slipped out long Junmyeon and Tao had dragged themselves down to the cafeteria for breakfast. At that moment, as Luhan approached with a bounce that made his best friend want to strangle him, Tao was wishing Kris would shower faster and waiting for his other boyfriend to return with the only breakfast he truly needed: coffee.

"I hate you," Luhan greeted with an annoyed half-grin.

"Mutual, I'm sure," Tao shot back, his eyes closed and his panda bags larger than ever. "What did I do this time?"

He felt a cold finger place itself on his collarbone and press down hard enough to produce pain as Luhan said, "Hickies. They're everywhere. Clearly you had a much better weekend than I did."

Tao swatted his friend's hands away, groaning in annoyance and a general hatred for the world until the bitterly delicious smell of coffee wafted upward to reach his nose. Peeking one eye open, Tao saw that Junmyeon had made it back to their table and was now looking at Luhan with concern. "Did you and Sehun break up?"

Kris was apparently just a few steps behind Junmyeon with a coffee of his own in hand, because he laughed loudly and said, "Not a chance. Those two are attached at the hip."

He greeted Junmyeon with a quick peck, shaking his head slightly so his wet hair showered his boyfriend with water droplets. Junmyeon shrieked as he giggled and tried to move away, but Kris' grip was firm. He kissed Junmyeon once more before turning to Tao; Kris brushed the maknae's bangs gently away from his face and kissed him softly, whispering "Morning" against Tao's lips. Clearly, Kris knew which of his two boyfriends was a morning person, and which was not. The sound of Junmyeon's happiness and the feel of Kris' love was enough to get Tao's sluggish mind to start really waking up—though he still nursed his coffee like a 45 year old trucker and not a teenage student at a prestigious boarding school.

He was awake enough, at least, to recognize a pout when he saw one, and he couldn't keep himself from stabbing Luhan's lip with his finger to make the offensive thing go away. "Stop whining with your facial expressions, Lu-lu." Tao bossed."It's not cute."

Luhan gave each of Tao's boyfriends an appraising glare before he scoffed. "What do you know of cute?"

"Rude," Tao dead panned, sticking an arm in front of Kris because he'd known without looking that his more aggressive boyfriend would likely try to lunge at Luhan. "Chill," he heard Junmyeon whisper to Kris as he turned to see the former place his arms around the latter's waist and snuggle up to him closely.

"If all you're going to be is mean this morning," he continued, switching his attention back to his friend, who had seen Junmyeon calm Kris down and was pouting again, "then I won't tell you about the brilliance I concocted during Study Block last night."

Luhan's countenance changed from petulant to worshipful in a matter of seconds, but Tao crossed his arms, raised his chin, and refused to say anything more until Luhan had taken his hints and filled up his empty mug. Armed a minute or so later with a rapt audience and a fresh cup of coffee, Tao grinned at his best friend cheekily.

"There's this thing we used to do at summer camp; a game of sorts." He began. "The whole point was to get to know each other, but the camp captain used to be in the army, so he just called it debriefing."

Junmyeon raised an eyebrow from where his head rested on Kris' chest. He used hide out in the library during lunch and read dictionaries for fun before he'd found his boyfriends, and he could see where Tao was going with this.

"I only ever played the twenty questions version, you know," this was said preemptively for Kris' benefit, as if Tao knew how his boyfriend might react to what he was going to say next. "But some of the older boys liked to take things literally. You know," he waggled his eyebrows at an enthralled Luhan, "getting to know each other by, well, debriefing."

Junmyeon just laughed—his prediction had been spot on—but Kris and Luhan were gaping open mouthed, so Tao added a lewd smirk and a wink at his best friend before he said, "If you know what I mean."

That seemed to snap Luhan out of his surprise because he shook his head vehemently and made a face of disgust. "Oh god, can you not. Please stop saying that. Seriously I get the worst images now when you say that."

"If you know what I mean. If you know what I mean. If you know what I mean." Tao repeated gleefully as Luhan tried to block the sound by covering his ears.

That didn't work, apparently, because he soon removed his hands and glared at Tao in a way that was probably supposed to be threatening—it wasn't. "Stop now before I kill you and leave your two boyfriends in a monogamous relationship without you."

Tao gasped as Junmyeon laughed. "You wouldn't!"

"Try me." Luhan growled.

Tao looked at his friend intensely, his gaze traveling up and down as if he were checking Luhan out. "I think I'm good," he decided finally, leaning his elbows on the table and taking a sip of his liquid caffeine. That time, Kris's laughter joined Junmyeon's as the two watched their boyfriend and his best friend bicker.

"To clarify, though," Kris turned to Tao tentatively, once he'd regained his breath from the laughter, "you never actually debriefed anyone, did you?"

"Only you, dear," Tao cooed soothingly with a patronizing pay to Kris' cheek. "Only you."

"Yes, well," Luhan interrupted before the other three could remind him yet again of Tao's extensive list of ual escapades. "I, for one, only want to hear about debriefing if I'm in on it too. With Sehun," he clarified for a horrified Junmyeon and a cackling Tao. "Except not really," he continued, his tone whiny, "because he so clearly isn't interested that any moves by me to get him would just make things awkward." Luhan sighed deeply and everyone else at the table rolled their eyes.

"Oh my god, Luhan, just relax, would you?" Kris attacked suddenly. He turned to Tao and his boyfriend could see how annoyed Luhan's words had made him. "God knows I love you, Tap baby, and we all know I tolerate that one," he pointed accusingly at Luhan, "for your sake, but I'm so sick of hearing about this."

Luhan stuck his tongue out at his friend's boyfriend childishly. "You could always leave," he challenged.

Tao could see the situation escalating and began to worry when not even Junmyeon's kisses at his neck were enough to calm Kris down this time.

Kris was practically fuming as he suggested aggressively, "Or you could just go up to Sehun—who is, by the way, your boyfriend!—and say, "I want to have with you!" It's literally that easy."

"Sorry, Kris," a voice said from above them, and all four of the tables occupants looked up to see that Sehun had arrived.

"Speak of the devil," Junmyeon muttered under his breath as Sehun continued speaking to his basketball teammate.

"If you're thinking about trying to seduce my Hannie," he said teasingly, "there's no way I'll be making it that easy for you."

"Not what I meant," Kris mumbled, flushing brightly in embarrassment as Luhan and Tao giggled so hard that they had to lean against one another so as not to fall over.

"In that case," Sehun's tone was politely inquisitive and not at all defensive, as if he'd actually been joking the whole time, "what are we talking about on this dreadfully early Monday morning?"

Tao and Luhan were still laughing, and Kris was currently hiding his face in the crook of his Korean boyfriend's neck, so Junmyeon took the liberty of answering on everyone else's behalf. He deliberated for a moment, unsure of what response was the best to fully cover everything they'd discussed that morning, and finally searingly on the simplest explanation he could.

"Getting to know each other," he offered, "the usual."

"For you maybe!" Luhan glowered while Sehun remained confused and Tao's laughter continued so uproariously that actually he fell off his chair, twisted his ankle, and had to be carried by Kris to the nurse.

Junmyeon and the others had to go to class, but thanks to Tao, Kris got to join his maknae boyfriend in missing the entirety of first block. The nurse had been there for the beginning 10 minutes of it, hovering over Tao's ankle and telling him how to treat it, but once she left, the two boys basically just spent the rest of the time making out. Tao's ankle hurt like hell for the next week, but it was worth it.