D. D. (Disastrous Day)

New World

“Am I heavy?” Yuri asked as they were climbing up a hill and after almost half an hour of walking, the girl’s breathing has increased and she’s almost panting.

The girl just shrugged and continued walking.

Yuri pouted and leaned her head on the girl’s shoulder. There isn’t really much she could do.

After a while, the girl stopped and Yuri took the time to look around. They were pretty much away from the city now; high up a hill where she could see the blinking lights far away. The noise was replaced with silence, so serene she was almost afraid to break it.

“Where are we going?” She whispered.

“To the woods where I can chop you and offer your internal organs to the spirits of darkness; I’ll probably eat your heart if I deem it pure. But seeing how you are maybe I’ll just sell you off on the internet and—“

BONK

Yuri’s fist hit the back of the girl’s head.

“Why can’t you just answer a question normally?” Yuri said in a flat tone. She has decided that the girl is someone she could trust her life with.

“You are becoming boring.” The girl sighed and continued walking.

“What do you mean by that?” Yuri asked, confused.

“I liked you better when you were so fun to tease.”

“So you like me?” Somewhat Yuri’s heart started beating faster.

“That’s not the point. The point is you are boring.”

Yuri just rolled her eyes and didn’t bother to answer. It’s just so hard to talk to the girl seriously. She’s just a big bag of sarcasm that walks and breathes.

Yuri’s eyes drooped, it was close to eleven and with all she’s been through the whole day she couldn’t help herself to sleep. Her head was lolling to every direction until eventually she settled by leaning it down on the girl’s shoulder. The girl tried to shrug her off but it was pointless for the head finds its way back to her shoulder.

*

A few back-breaking minutes later, she finally arrived inside her house. It was big for someone who lives alone. The furniture was minimal but comfortable. It was a modern place perched on top of the hill, away from civilization. She likes her privacy so much.

When she opened the gate, she looked at her car parked inside. She regretted getting out of the house today. Now she’s bringing a complete stranger home. Not to mention that the said stranger is stupid enough not to survive outside in the real world.

She opened the front door by putting in her password and proceeded inside. She wanted to dump the girl she was carrying to her all white couch in the living room but she remembered just how filthy the other girl is, making her go directly to the toilet, shrugging the girl awake.

“Hey, wake up or I’ll dump you into the tub.” She shook her body harshly until the girl on her back stirred.

“Where are we?” Yuri groggily said.

“Home. Now get off me and try to clean yourself. I just cleaned the house.”

Yuri climbed down the girl’s back and sat on the cold floor. She rubbed her eyes and strained her eyes to focus on her surroundings.

“You have a nice bathroom. You must have a nice house.” Yuri mumbled. Even for its simplicity, it actually met her standards but it should be a bit bigger like the one she had in their mansion. Knowing the girl’s temperament she decided against voicing out her thoughts if she wants a roof on her head tonight.

“You haven’t even seen it. There are towels over there. Please scrub off everything. I want you clean when you get out. Got it? Damn it I’m hungry again.” The girl shook her head and went out, leaving Yuri to herself.

Sighing, Yuri stood up and started rummaging through drawers and cabinets to find the things she needed. After removing her clothes, she stepped into the shower and relished the feeling of the warm water on her skin. She tried to ease her mind and just relax. It’s not like the girl will walk in on her on purpose—BAM!

“Yah!” Yuri screamed covering what she can of her body as the door slammed open.

“What the!” The girl slammed the door back close and started shouting on the other side.

“Why didn’t you lock the freaking door?! Are you mad?!”

Even if she can’t see the girl, Yuri can imagine how red and trembling the girl is with embarrassment and anger coursing through her veins.

“I forgot okay?!” Yuri shouted back, recovering from the unfortunate show.

“Well, I forgot you were there either, so it’s fair! Nothing happened! Just—just get ready okay?! I’m starving!” She heard the girl stomp her feet away from the door. Yuri puffed in annoyance. She couldn’t understand how evil that girl can be; evil and good at the same time. She’s a very strange and interesting person indeed.

*

The girl rubbed her face until she began slapping herself red. What have she done? It was a mistake bringing someone with her. She was so used to being alone that having another human with her is inconceivable. She can’t even remember having her around the house when she just got her home. She huffed and settled on her seat at the dining area, she had managed to cook food until she realized while looking at the table that she had only cooked for herself. Grumbling, she stood up and looked through her fridge, looking for something to cook for the annoying princess.

*

When Yuri got out she immediately got drawn by the smell of food. Her stomach started making sounds urging her to walk faster.

“Hey.” She said softly as she saw the girl with her back turned, hunching over the stove.

“It’s about time you finished your bath, I’m dying of hunger here.” The girl turned. She regretted that as she almost dropped the plate she was carrying.

“What the hell are you wearing?!” She cried as she turned her back on Yuri again.

Yuri looked down and didn’t understand what the other girl was fussing about.

“Well you didn’t give me anything to wear.” Yuri said blandly. She just wanted to eat. What’s the big fuss with her wrapped in a towel? Come on, haven’t the girl seen another body before?

“Right this way please your majesty, we are going to get you something to wear. You look ridiculous!” The girl almost threw the plate on the table as she dragged Yuri away from the food.

“Eh hey, wait! Let’s eat first!” Yuri protested, holding on to a nearby table to stop being dragged away.

“Do you even hear yourself?! You are half exposed to a complete stranger and you don’t mind it one bit?!” The tug of war continues.

“But you were DYING from hunger, remember? Besides, it’s not going to fall off! I’m so hungry so please let’s just eat first!” Yuri said, almost crying. She was truly hungry she’d kill for it.

The girl let her go and stomped off back into the dining area.

“Fine!”

Yuri settled in front of the other girl. The girl was about to reach out for food when Yuri stopped her.

“Aren’t we going to pray?” She said it so innocently that the girl just grumbled in anger. She hasn’t prayed in years.

They settled in silence, praying on their own. Then Yuri scooped food into her plate like an animal.

“Hey! Slow down! Leave some for me!” The girl protested until they end up eating like cavemen, grabbing food, ignoring sharing.

“For someone who prays a lot, you should be ashamed not sharing with me.” The girl sulked as Yuri had triumphantly snatched the last meat ball away. Seeing how genuinely sad the other girl is, Yuri decided to cut it in half and give it to the girl. She reached out her fork to the other side of the table, stretching her arm all the way.

The girl looked up and instead of getting it with her fork; she just immediately ate it off Yuri’s, and mumbled a small ‘thank you’.

Yuri was stunned with what she saw. Isn’t that an indirect kiss?! Gah! She had just kissed a stranger!

Shock was written all over her face, her hand still hovering over the table.

“Hey, get your fork off of my face.” The girl grumbled, looking at Yuri weirdly. It seemed like Yuri just froze. Seeing no reaction, she called out again.

“Hey, I said get your—“

Yuri snapped out of her shock and pulled her arm away in a flash. In her hurry, she didn’t notice the towel loosening, eventually falling off of her.

“YAAAAAAH!”

*

“You could’ve just informed me earlier that you are an exhibitionist and save me from almost dying of heart attacks.” The other girl has not stopped whining even though Yuri has been clothed for an hour now. Yuri gave up trying to reason out with the girl and just let her be.

Yuri was sitting on the white couch, marvelling the glass walls, enjoying the view of the starry sky and purposely ignoring the noise coming from the kitchen where the girl was ranting her heart out as she washed the dishes.

The noise turned into soft buzzing as she found herself getting comfortable and lied down on the couch.

*

“Hey are you listening to me?” The girl asked as she wiped her hands dry and walked off towards her guest.

“Great, you just slept on me.” She sighed. She wanted to shake the girl awake but when she saw how the girl’s face showed nothing but exhaustion, she just let her be.

She sat at the opposite couch and played with her phone, a habit she does as she waits for sleep to take over her. As she finally started yawning, she stood up and looked at the sleeping girl in front of her.

“Aish.”

*

Yuri woke up feeling refreshed. She stretched her body on the warm bed, refusing to open her eyes.

And when she did, she released a primal scream.

“Yah! What happened?!” The girl came running, armed with a spatula, with an apron on.

“Oh it’s you.” Yuri said, embarrassed, now that the memories from yesterday came rushing back. “I thought I saw a bug.” She lied, not wanting the girl to laugh at her being an idiot again.

“A bug?! You got to be kidding me! There are no bugs in this house! Not even a single ant lives here!”

The girl obviously has OCD. She confirmed when she saw how abnormally clean the house was, the shelves have books color coded, she didn’t bother to scan but she guessed also alphabetized. It was white all over. Even the sheets were white, the whole room was white except for small details like the books, papers on the table and the painting on the wall. If it wasn’t white, then it’s black. It’s like living in a monochrome house with glass walls in the kitchen, dining and living room. It was so simple yet elegant; no doubt why the girl got offended when she lied about the bug.

When she went down, clad in a tee and shorts, unsurprisingly white, the girl was already sipping juice and reading something on her ipad on the dining table.

“Good morning.” Yuri greeted as she took her seat across the girl.

“Eat. Don’t you ever shout again, you almost broke my eardrums earlier.” The girl said calmly.

Yuri did as she was told, enjoying the pancakes the girl prepared.

Compared to her black and white house, the girl’s personality made up for its lack of color. She was vibrant, her contrasting emotions livening up the place. She was the type of person Yuri would like to crack. She wants to explore the colors of the girl’s emotions, to know her better. She knows she’d love to know this girl inside out.

So she started by asking for a name. She hoped she won’t get rejected this time around.

The girl never looked up from what she’s doing so Yuri thought it’s not her lucky day.

She gave up and ate her food silently, relishing the view outside.

“It’s Sooyoung.”