I.

Rain Shower || 소나기

"Good morning, my beautiful grandson." I heard a soft voice whisper as I felt a frail hand run over my head gently. Opening my eyes, I saw my grandmother smiling at me. I smiled back before slowly sitting up. 
"Good morning, my beautiful grandmother." I responded, taking hold of her hand and patting it lightly. She laughed softly and gave my hand a slight squeeze. 
"Come, my dear. It's time for breakfast."
I stood and offered her my arm. She smiled again before taking it and standing up slowly. 
We walked slowly to the kitchen where my family sat. Both my parents were already eating, while my older sister boredly picked at her rice.
"Morning." I mumbled to them as I helped my grandmother sit down. 
"Good morning son." My mom pat my head while my dad lifted his hand in greeting. I glanced at my sister, Minah.
"Noona."
She grunted in response. I rolled my eyes before sitting down to eat. 
"Minah, will you go run an errand for me after you're finished eating?" my grandmother tapped my sister. She groaned softly.
"But, I don't know this whole entire town. How am I supposed to-"
"I'll do it, halmoni." I raised my hand, shooting my sister a glare. She stuck out her tongue before looking back down at her food.
"Aigoo. Are you sure, Mingyu?"
"Yeah, of course. I'm fine with that." I nodded before smiling. My mom placed her hand on my cheek. "Of course, my son." she said proudly. I laughed and shrugged. "Nah, don't say it like that." 
As we finished eating, I quickly washed up and I grabbed my things. "What is it that you need me to do, halmoni?" I asked as I stepped out of the bedroom.
My grandmother handed me a small, wrapped pouch. "There's some food that I have for my friend. Would you please deliver it to her?" she paused before handing me an envelope. "Oh and this too." she gave my shoulder a squeeze. "Are you sure you'll find the way?"
"Don't worry. Just because I've lived in the city doesn't mean I can't figure out the country." I joked. My grandmother laughed warmly and nodded. "Alright, I believe you, my dear."

I nodded back  before giving her a mini salute. "Yes ma'am! I'll be right back." 
Smiling, I opened the door. "Wait!" I heard my mom call for me. She rushed to the doorway and handed me an umbrella. "You might need this."
I glanced out the window. "On a wonderful day like this? I don't think so." I grinned before waving. "Bye, mom!"
I rushed out the door and smiled as the sun greeted me. Beams of its warmth leaned down and kissed my face. I covered my eyes with my hand as I began to walk down the street. "The river.." I mumbled to myself as I looked around. Where was this river my grandmother mentioned? I continued to walk until a river came into view. 
"Ah!" I exclaimed, happy that I found one landmark. I smiled to myself as I made my way down to the river bank. I admired the gleam of the peaceful water that trickled along. The sound of the flowing water and noisy cicadas filled the air around me. I bent down and, with my free hand, ran my hand across the surface of the water. 
It was calm. Quiet.
But not for long. Within seconds, I heard a splash and a squeal. 
"Yah! Toki, what..why are you doing this to me?" I heard a girls voice.
Toki?
I widened my eyes as I saw a happy, white jindo dog scampered towards me, splashing through the water in pure enjoyment. It seemed to screech to stop in front of me, looking up at me with wide eyes and what looked to me, in my opinion, like a grin. 
"Gotcha! Finally." I saw as the white fluff was swooped up by a pair of hands. I blinked and stared at the person who smiled at the dog, before muttering a few words to it.
"Sorry about-" she looked up at me and stopped, as if the last word got caught in .
"That." I finished for her before grinning. "It's fine."
We stared at each other for a good awkward 5 seconds before she cleared and turned away. 
"Oh, excuse me." I stopped her. She turned around with a questioning look on her face. I handed her the paper in my hand. 
"Do you think you could direct me to this place."
I didn't know what made me ask her. I didn't understand where the spurt of courage came from. 
But for some weird reason,  I did what I did.
And for some even weirder reason, she agreed.
"So, why Toki?" I asked as we began to walk down the street. "I think we can both tell that this isn't a rabbit." I chuckled. She smiled slightly. 
"Kind of looks like one, right? Plus, he's always running around like a rabbit would." she sighed softly. "He's probably the only reason I haven't gained weight yet."
I rubbed my nape before looking down at her. "Um..I don't think I got your name." 
She looked up. "Ahreum. Jung Ahreum. Yours?"
"Mingyu. Kim Mingyu." I responded. She nodded. "Nice to meet you."
Awkward silence hung in the air yet another time.
"Are we...almost there?" 
She pointed towards the quaint house that we stopped in front of. "This is it."
I bowed to her, slightly disappointed that the time to depart had come. Ahreum gave me a funny look before bowing back and opening the door. I widened my eyes as she walked in as if nothing was wrong.
"W-wait. Is that..is that normal here?" I questioned, looking around in concern. She laughed loudly before shaking her head.
"No, walking in strangers' houses are not normal anywhere." 
I furrowed my eyebrow. "What..."
"I live here." 
-     -     -     -     -     -      -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -      -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -      -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -      -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -      -     -     -
authors note:
so, this story was just a random splurge, so if it seems weird or random or not well-put together then I apologize ^^
Enjoy regardless <3