First Impressions & Second Chances

First Impressions

"Oh, wow, my clothes," Jimin smiled as he shook the timid cosplayer's hand. She felt her heart do flips, jump out of her chest, then dance in the street. The rest was a bit of a blur, but, who cares? Jimin noticed her in front of everyone!


She grinned while watching the old high touch photo on her phone. Her hair was being styled and accessorized for her group's comeback. Her group had made its debut only five months before and she was ready to step on the stage again. "Okay, I'm going to say what I always say: Do your best, have fun, and I don't care if you win or lose," Seung, the leader, spoke above all the audio pollution in the room.

"Hai!" The group yelled back at her.

"Okay, let's go kill it," Seung smiled and clapped to get everyone hyped. They began to do their group chant, then they all put their hands in and got louder and louder, until they cheered together. "Everyone line up and let's go." The entire group got in their signature single file line and Seung lead them out the door. She was near the end of the line just to make sure no one lost their place. They walked through the hall quietly, making space for other groups that were wandering about backstage. A male bumped her shoulder by accident causing her to stumble a bit. He got a hold of her when he realized his mistake. 

"Are you okay? I am so sorry. I didn't mean to bump you," he spoke in Korean to her. She nodded and felt her cheeks heat up. It was Park Jimin. She saw him three years ago as a fan and here she is now... an artist... she's about to go on a stage that he was just on. She was here in front of him. His eyes searched hers as he realized there was some familiarity in her face, but he couldn't exactly pinpoint what it was. This moment felt like eternity. She wanted it to last as long as possible. "Oh, I believe you must go on stage now. You're part of--"

"Yeah. I am... I'm the member, Ducky. It's nice to meet you," she cleared as a way to compose herself and spoke in her best Korean accent. 

"I'm Jimin. I'm one of the vocalists of BTS," he smiled. "I really like your new title song. You look cool in your music video. The members and I will be cheering you on. Good luck!"

Chills ran down her spine at the sight of his bright smile and she bowed a quick thank you. "I need to go on stage now."

"Oh, of course, go go! I hope to see you afterwards," he gave her a confident thumbs up and she ran up the steps to the stage. She looked at her group as they got their final make up touch ups and got their mics equiped to go on stage. She adjusted her outfit and stretched a bit. Seung came over to her and gave her an encouraging pat on the back. "Here we are three years later... on stage about to perform for so many people."

"Yeah, it's like a dream come true," she smiled, still in a bit of a dazed over her previous encounter. 

"Who did you see backstage? Was it Jimin?" Seung joked lightly.

"A-Actually yeah," she confessed as her face turned a dark red and she swallowed back her screams.

"You-- You're kidding, right? JaeJae, you're kidding!"

"N-No," she squeaked. "He bumped me and then he caught me!"

"Like a drama!" Seung couldn't hold back either. The squeals erupted from their throats until Jihwan came over and tugged on Seung's top as a sign to calm down. "Oh, sorry. Ahem... let's um... we will talk about this later." She made her way onto the stage once it got quiet and they all got into their positions for their comeback stage.

The stage went quicker than she would have liked, but she stepped off the stage, bowing to some of her seniors on the way off, and made it back towards the dressing room. "Ducky!" She turned and saw an esctatic Jimin running towards her. "You did amazing! I loved when they did that illusion behind you while you were singing. It was so cool. Also the make up and costumes and props... it was amazing... like watching a sci-fi fantasy movie. What are you all doing now?"

"Well, usually after a performance, we watch it and critique ourselves, then we have a talk and relax until we have to go up again," she shrugged nonchalantly towards him.

"Oh, I won't see you after then..." the sadness in his voice pulled at her heartstrings.

"No, no, no... um... hold on, Jimin, just wait right in this spot, okay?" She looked at him with concern until he nodded, then she ran to the dressing room and immediately consulted her leader over the "pressing" issue she had in front of her. Jimin rocked on his heels while looking around, bowing to some staff now and then, humming a tune, but he tried his best to stay right in the spot that she told him to. When she returned, he greeted her with a smile. "My leader said I didn't have to sit in today because I did a good job. What's up?"

"Oh, I wanted to know if you wanted to eat with us. We have tons of food in our dressing room and the boys are about to start a racing game," he pointed towards the room down the other hall with his group name taped to the door.

"That would be awesome. Of course!" She eagerly followed him into the dressing room. 

"So, Ducky, how old are you?" Jimin smiled. "Oh, wait, I know this... 96-line and you like ducks, so that's why they call you Ducky!"

"Oh, wow, are you a hardcore fan of my group now?" she nudged him playfully as he opened the door for her.

"I guess you could say that. I'm more of a Ducky fan," he winked.