Soul, Like Coal

Hooked

His sharp fangs glistened in the blinding moonlight and he was crouched low, prepared to spring.

His eyes were blood red against the dark backdrop of the room and you couldn't help noticing the way his skin glowed lightly like a candle about to lose its flame.

There was a thin gash on his left shin but it was deep enough for a generous amount of blood to start dripping down the side of his leg.

"Stop this nonsense, Chanyeol." a low voice penetrated the eerie silence and a figure materialized in the tiny sliver of moonlight that shone through a gap in the velvet curtains.

Everything happened in the blink of an eye; in the split second it took you to clear your eyes of pestering dust particles, Chanyeol had lunged at the stranger from his spot in the corner with his fangs bared and eyes that bled scarlet, a feral growl ripping from his throat.

The sickening metallic smell of human blood flooded your nostrils and the sound of clashing bodies overwhelmed your senses with a grieving panic.

Your heart pounded hard in your chest; each breath felt labored, it was getting harder to breathe every time you inhaled the horrible smell and heard what was unmistakably the sound only teeth tearing into meat could make.

Reluctantly, you turned to look at Chanyeol, most certain that whoever he'd attacked was now dead.

You didn't want to see glassy eyes but instead, the first thing you glimpsed in your peripheral vision was a familiar feature or two on the stranger's face.

Is that.. your hair? Your nose?

You forced yourself to meet your own lifeless eyes and you were horrified that you found they were slowly sinking into their sockets, the whites of them gradually turning into an ugly black.

Your body was rotting right in front of you, your bones seeming to have broken inside; caving in and your lips were parted slightly, chapped and bleeding.

Yazzy.. yazzy!

The image lost focus and you were no longer standing and watching your vampire boyfriend feast on you but was woken up in bed by a sharp pressure on your upper arms, sweating bullets and gasping for breath desperately as you were pulled out of your bad dream.

"Yazzy! Can you hear me? You were having a nightmare." Chanyeol was there of course, his fingernails digging into your shoulders as he shook the grogginess of sleep out of your system.

Nightmares always took a toll on your body.

You opened your eyes slowly and met the azure eyes of your boyfriend.

He looked concerned and you felt the pads of his fingers press more insistently on your flesh.

"Yazzy.. answer me, are you okay? What did you dream about?" His face suddenly became passive, devoid of all emotion.

For a moment you thought he had turned to stone, like in all those fictional stories your mum used to read to you when you were a child that still had a penchant for bedtime stories.

"Was it about me?"

There was a pounding against your skull, a dull throb but it made your head hurt nonetheless.

You wanted to bury your face in his ivory skin and inhale his calming scent.

You knew it would help remove the repulsive images that you were certain will stay in your head for a good amount of time.

So you did exactly that; you wrapped your sluggish arms around his neck and nestled your face in the crook of it.

His arms reached out to hook under your arms and lock behind your back in what would've been an awkward hug if your mind was a bit more alert.

Right now you didn't care as your breath ghosted over his pale flesh.

You liked to imagine you sometimes saw goosebumps.

"It was you.. but it wasn't you, you know what I mean?" You formed your words against his prominent collarbones and they came out muffled but Chanyeol heard it anyway.

"I will never hurt you, Yazzy. Do you hear me?" His voice was stern as he said the words and you knew he meant it.

Of course, even though your nightmare was about him doing such unspeakable things that talking about it made you want to cry; you knew the first person you'd always run to when you were scared, was Chanyeol.

Even if he was your object of fear.

You were in too deep, damn it, you thought.

This boy has made a home in your veins.

He pulled back to look at you with striking eyes.

Why were they always so mesmerizing?

Slowly, gently, he cupped your flushed face in his icy palms and beamed down at you; his canines making an appearance.

You allowed yourself to be lulled into the kiss as he leaned in, a passionate but rhythmic lip lock that left you dazed and wanting a little something more when he stopped.

"I didn't know vampires were such good kissers." you smirked up at him and attacked his lips again.

The next time you guys released each other was to get air into your starved lungs.

You shivered and Chanyeol rolled back the bedcovers.

"Want to find out what else we're good at?"

Safe to say, you now knew that Chanyeol had other devious ways that were more tempting to devour you.