Three Problems

Apple of His Eyes

Three more drabbles

___

 

 

Kyungsoo knew something was strange when his student Chanyeol arrived to school one day not on his uniform, but on business casual attire. He had his collared stripe polo tucked into long slacks. He had an apologetic father coming along with him that he wanted to stay out of the gates.

“I told you dad, I’m a big boy now and I don’t need you bringing me to school anymore.” Chanyeol said with a scrunched face, hands crossed in his chest to display his disdain.

Chanyeol’s father ignored his whining son, opting to head toward Kyungsoo with an apologetic look on his face.

“I’m sorry for Chanyeol, he would cry if we made him wear his uniform earlier. He said it’s kids clothes. Apparently, he’s too old for those now.” Chanyeol’s father sighed. He glanced at his son who was standing idly with a blank expression.  “I’m sure he’ll go back to his senses soon. “

Turned out, Chanyeol’s father was wrong.

A few more days passed, and Chanyeol was still steadfast on his refusal to wear his uniform because he kept insisting he’s already ‘a big boy now’ whatever that means. Chanyeol had always been a handful, but at least one good thing that came out of his newfound ‘big boy’-ness   is that he also started refusing to go to the playground during recess. Chanyeol was a kid full of energy, and sometimes that energy had consequences which results into a few scars and accidents. It’s good not to worry about what trouble Chanyeol’s going to get himself in. Maybe he really is just maturing in his own way.  

Chanyeol was sitting with Kyungsoo on a bench overlooking the playing students. Chanyeol was quiet, looking at his classmates with a look of longing on his eyes.  Baekhyun is on the swing with Sehun pushing his back. The two kids were enjoying themselves.

“Are you sure you don’t want to play with your friends?” Kyungsoo asked Chanyeol, glancing at the two boys on the swings. Their laughter could be overheard as Baekhyun kept urging Sehun to push him harder. 

Chanyeol looked up at him then pouted.   

“Don’t you want to spend time with me?” His student look deflated at that prospect.

“I do, but you look like you’re jealous of your friends playing.”

Chanyeol shook his head. “Playgrounds are for kids.” 

Kyungsoo tilted his head.

“But you are a kid.” He said.

“I’m not.” Chanyeol retorted. He bit his lower lip and looked away from his teacher. He must have hurt his student’s feelings.

 

During one breaktime when it was raining so the playground was off limits, the kids had no choice but to spend their recess inside the classroom. Some kids just ate their snacks while others played with the toys Kyungsoo kept for the kids. 

Kyungsoo looked at Baekhyun and Sehun with a picture book on their lap. Baekhyun were pointing at the animals to Sehun to teach the younger boy what they’re called.

Baekhyun pointed at a picture.

“This one is an Elephant.”

“Like Dumbo?” Sehun’s eyes were full of curiosity.

Baekhyun nodded. “But the baby elephant I saw in the zoo could not fly.” 

Kyungsoo smiled at the two kids. “Where’s Chanyeol?”

The two kids looked up at him then looked at one corner where Chanyeol was sulking.

“He said picture books are for kids.” Baekhyun explained with sharpness on his tone clearly not amused with what Chanyeol had suggested.

 Kyungsoo walked towards Chanyeol. He also has a book on his lap, he looked so absorbed in his reading except that he does not even know how to read yet. Kyungsoo looked at the book and it was clearly a dictionary.

“What are you reading?” Kyungsoo asked still.

Chanyeol raised the book he’s reading to show that it’s not a picture book,

“An adult book.” Chanyeol said matter-of-factly. Kyungsoo chuckled to himself because what Chanyeol sounded so wrong but he’s still innocent so he wouldn’t get it. 

“Why are you laughing, Sir Soo?” Chanyeol scrunched his face, insulted by his teacher’s laugh.

“I’m not laughing at you.” Kyungsoo mitigated. “It’s good that you’re reading books, you’re gonna grow up smart.”

“But I’m already a grown up.”  Chanyeol continued to be stubborn.

Kyungsoo just patted his ‘grown-up’ student’s head.


 

Seemed like there was no stop to Chanyeol rushing to be viewed as a grown-up. The kid had his resolve. 

“Is that a coffee you’re holding?” Not just any coffee either, it’s pure black coffee. Kyungsoo did not even know where Chanyeol got the drink either. While Baekhyun and Sehun were beside Chanyeol with milk mustaches on their face and milk bottles on their hands, Chanyeol was between them with an unopened can of black coffee, he must have waited for him to arrive to show it off he’ drinking an ‘adult drink’. 

“Yeah, it is.” Chanyeol nodded as if it’s no big deal. Chanyeol s his hand to the opener and pushed the lid.

Baekhyun made a face of disgust beside Chanyeol. “That tastes icky.”

“Well, that’s because you’re a kid.”Chanyeol chinned up.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

Chanyeol looked at his opened can, hesitant. He then looked at him. Chanyeol let out a puff of air and brought the can closer to his lips and he made a sip. Both Baekhyun and Sehun were looking at him awaiting for his reaction.

“Hmmm... delicious.” Chanyeol hummed before placing the can back in the table. His face looked tortured and he barely sipped anything.

“Go on then, if it’s so delicious why don’t you finish the whole bottle?” Baekhyun dared, raising his brows.

Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun accusingly.  Needless to say, Chanyeol did not finish the drink excusing it as ‘adults don’t follow orders from kids’ which was Baekhyun’s dare. It’s free coffee for Kyungsoo though.

   

It was when Chanyeol was the only student left in the room and all the rest of the students were already taken by their parents to go home when Kyungsoo decided to ask Chanyeol again on his current disposition. Chanyeol was sitting on a recliner chair in front of his desk, small legs swaying below. 

“Why are you so excited on being an adult?”

Chanyeol looked up at him with wide eyes. He did not answer him instantly, ruminating the question in his mind. The student opened his mouth then closed it. He sighed

“I heard you saying to Sir Kai that he was acting like a kid.” Chanyeol whispered, looking down. His shoulder deflated, “It sounded like being a kid was not a good thing. “

Kyungsoo let the thought sink in, he must have overheard him chastising Jongin on his silly antics. Kyungsoo felt bad that somehow it was his fault that his student is acting and feeling the way he is.

“Being a kid is definitely not bad, I was a kid once you know. I just said that because Kai was being immature at that time, but even so, I was just joking with him. I did not mean anything I said.”  Kyungsoo stood up then went towards his student, patting his head. “I’m sorry if I made you feel bad about yourself.”

Chanyeol leaned into his teacher’s pat like a puppy.  Kyungsoo chuckled.

“It’s okay Sir Soo. I just wanted you to like me.”Chanyeol admitted.

“Silly, but I already like you.”

“Really?” The brightness of Chanyeol’ eyes returned.

Kyungsoo nodded. “Really.”

“Even if I act more immature than Sir Kai?”

“Even so.” Kyungoo hummed.

“By the way, It might not have been obvious but I hated that coffee I drunk. I was just good at faking it“

Kyungsoo chuckled.

Chanyeol did not really need to work hard to be his charming little self.

 

 

✎✎✎✎✎✎
 

 

Kyungsoo’s gnawing worry for the day had been confirmed when Baekhyun uttered five words to him in a whisper.

“I think Sehun is sad.”

It was true. Sehun was mostly quiet, but you could normally still feel him radiating cheerfulness. That day however was an exception. There’s a perpetual frown on his face, and his eyes were always downcast. He would also zone out in class, and Sehun had been a diligent student eager to learn how to write new letters everyday. His lack of enthusiasm could be excused, not every student is expected to have their zest in learning daily, and there were the good days and the bad. That day was not Sehun’s day obviously, not when he chose to sulk in a corner of their classroom or he would just sit in the side and stare at the wall, unmoving. 

“What makes you say that?” Kyungsoo asked Baekhyun.

“He did not touch his food his mother packed for him. You can tell it, Sir Soo. He wouldn’t even laugh at my jokes, he always laughs at my jokes.” Baekhyun answered. “He wouldn’t tell Chanyeol and me what’s making him sad though.”

“It’s okay, Baek. “ Kyungsoo placed a hand on his student’s head. “I’ll try and ask him what’s wrong.”

 

It was well after school was over when Sehun was left alone with Kyungsoo when he decided to probe on his student’ problem. He was sitting on a big chair, his feet barely reaching the ground. Sehun would always sway his legs whenever that’s the case, but Sehun’s feet were unmoving that day. He was quiet.

 

“What’s wrong Sehun? You seem sad today.” Kyungsoo asked Sehun with his perpetual pout.

“I’m fine, Sir Soo.” Sehun said, feigning a smile.

“Come here,’ Kyungsoo said, patting his lap. Sehun had always loved sitting on his lap, maybe that could increase his trust on him to tell him what’s wrong. Sehun came down from the chair and went towards his teacher’s lap.

“You know you could always tell me what’s troubling you. It’s good to let out why you’re sad sometimes.” Kyungsoo said to his student.  Sehun looked up at him, not uttering anything but nodding. Kyungsoo rubbed his shoulder comfortingly when Sehun looked down. Not long, Kyungsoo heard Sehun sobbing.

Kyungsoo was not expecting that.

“M-m-my pet died.” Sehun stammered out through his tears.    

“I’m sorry to hear that, Sehun.” Kyugsoo said getting out the handkerchief for the tears and snot coming out of his student’s face. 

“It was my entire fault, Sir Soo. If only I took care of him better.” Sehun sobbed.

“It’s not your fault, Sehun. I’m sure your pet does not want you to feel very sad.” Kyungsoo rubbed comforting circles on his student’s back. He had been too strong to bottle up his tears for the entire day, but it’s better for him to release it now. He had pets too, and he knew that pain of losing them.  

“Sir Soo, can I hug you?” Sehun asked politely as he rubbed his nose on his handkerchief to clean his face.

When Kyungsoo nodded, Sehun immediately hugged him. Sehun did not talk and Kyungsoo just let his student calm down in the comfort of silence. Soon, Sehun’s tears eventually stopped.

“Thank you, Sir Soo. I feel so much better now. I’m sure my pet is in a better place.” Sehun said before he fell asleep, exhausted from all his crying.


 

When Sehun’s mother arrived, Sehun was still sleeping. Kyungsoo had placed him in a comforter to help keep his back comfortable.

“I’m sorry I got late, but thanks for staying with Sehun. Oh, he’s asleep.” Sehun’s mother smiled seeing his son sleeping comfortably.

“Yeah, he was very sad of his pet dying.” Kyungsoo said. “He kept crying, it must have been so sad for him to take in.”

“A pet?” A look of confusion crosses Mrs. Oh’s face.  “That’s strange, we don’t keep pets.”

Why was Sehun crying then? Sehun would not lie as to the reason why he cried. His feeling of lost seemed genuine. 

“Oh, I get it.” Sehun’s mother finally remembered something, her face lighting up. “I think it was from this phone application his father downloaded for him to play. It was this pet simulation game. He always feed them whenever his father gets home from work and on mornings. He must have forgotten feeding it and it must have died.” 

“Oh, Poor child.” That’s why Sehun could not help but blame himself. Even though virtual pets are not alive, there’ still the sentimentality of it all. Sehun gets easily attached, and he’s still a kid. Kyungsoo wished he wouldn’t be too hard on himself.


 

Next day, Sehun was back into his bright self. A smile grazed his lips when Kyungsoo saw him as he sings out a good morning to his teacher.

“What makes you so happy today?” Kyungsoo smiles back at his student.

“Sir Soo, my pet is alive. My mother bought a potion on the application store to revive him” Sehun excitedly told him. “I won’t ever forget feeding Soosoo ever again.”

“You call your pet Soosoo?” Kyungsoo was intrigued.

His student nodded, smiling.  “I named him after you, Sir Soo.”

Kyungsoo chuckled. It’s sweet knowing he left such impression to his student enough for him to name a pet over him.  

“Well, I’m sure your pet love you back.”


 

✎✎✎✎✎✎

 

Baekhyun hated it. 

Why did his mother’s boss made his mom go on stupid business trips when he knew she was a single parent?  It was just for a week but a week is too long to be stuck with his older unemployed cousin who his mother would enlist to babysit him. There’s nothing inherently wrong with his cousin though except for his poor music taste. He would play stupid boring ballads on their mother’s speaker instead of the usual nursery rhymes his mother would play that he could sing along to.   

The problem aroused the first time his cousin took him home from school. His cousin took way too long in talking to his teacher, Kyungsoo.

“Oh, kid.” His cousin looked at him with his stupid grin on his face once he was inside his mother’s car. “I didn’t know your teacher was so hot.”

“Don’t call my teacher hot.” Baekhyun barked. 

“He’s cute too.”  His cousin continued, ignoring him.

“Don’t call him cute either. “ Baekhyun wrinkled his face. “He’s got a boyfriend already.”

“He does?” His cousin looked at him, pouting.

Baekhyun nodded immediately.

“It’s me. I’m his boyfriend.” He said flatly. That ought to stop his cousin’s unwarranted advances. 

His cousin laughed though. It’s obvious he did not take him seriously.


 

Next morning, his cousin still talked to his teacher for a prolonged period of time. Baekhyun knew what this is called. He had seen this on the television before. His cousin is flirting with his teacher.  His teacher was laughing at something his cousin had said, while his cousin was smiling goofily trying to show his dimples. It looked stupid for Baekhyun.

He would want to pull his cousin and make him go back home, but Baekhyun would not want his teacher to think he’s misbehaved. Usually, he would direct Chanyeol to do his dirty work for him, but his friend is still not in school. Sehun’s there but he would be too kind to do it. Baekhyun gave his cousin a stink eye before deciding to run to his next best option. He ran towards the next section’s classroom.

When he went inside, he sees Sir Kai sitting behind his desk. He raised his head at seeing him enter the room. 

“Sir Kai, someone is bothering Sir Soo.”

“Let me guess, is it Chanyeol annoying Kyungsoo again or is it Sehun this time stealing his attention away from you?” Sir Kai peered into him, twirling a pen in his hand. Baekhyun blushed at being exposed of being a tattletale but being offended with the teacher could wait as he has a more immediate concern at hand.

“No, it’s my older cousin Seonho.” Baekhyun raised his voice.

Baekhyun could not stress how much urgent his concern is.

“He’s showing him off his dimples!” Baekhyun added for good measures.

What he said must have caught Sir Kai’s attention as there was an immediate look of concern that flashed on the teacher’s eyes.

“How old is your cousin?” The teacher asked.

“I don’t know. You adults look the same age to me. He’s the same age as you I guess.”

Sir Kai placed the pen he was holding on the table and then stood up. He then walked towards their classroom, Baekhyun followed the teacher as he jogged closely behind him.

When they were near the room, they overheard Kyungsoo laughing. 

Both Baekhyun and Sir Kai froze then look at each other.

“I told you he’s bothering Sir Soo” Baekhyun said.

Sir Kai composed himself before entering the classroom, Baekhyun followed closely behind. He peeked trying to look for his cousin but he was no longer there. Instead, it was Sehun in front of their teacher smiling.

“Jongin, what are you doing here?” Sir Soo’s voice chimed.

“Uhh.. I was just checking things out.” The other teacher replied. He then turned his gaze sharply towards Baekhyun “Your cousin looked a lot like Sehun.”

Baekhyun just smiled weakly at him. There’s no use trying to defend himself from the other teacher if the problem was no longer there.

 

When afternoon arrived, Seonho immediately took him to the car and he no longer talked to his teacher aside from a quick ‘Hi’.

“Why are you no longer bothering Sir Soo?” Baekhyun asked curiously once he was settled inside the car.

His cousin sighed

“Turns out you were right, your teacher said he already has a boyfriend when I asked him out.” 

“Told you so,” Baekhyun smiled internally. “You should’ve believed me when I told you I’m Sir Soo’s boyfriend.”

His cousin chuckled. This time, Baekhyun is not so sure if his cousin took him seriously or not. One way or another, at least the flirting cousin problem is already addressed.